What are the best brands to look for with Blu Ray players?

I'm trying to help a friend out who didn't really want to get a PS3 since they plan on watching movies 99% of the time. So, to them, the extra cost would be kinda pointless.

[quote name='Why_So_Serious']I'm trying to help a friend out who didn't really want to get a PS3 since they plan on watching movies 99% of the time. So, to them, the extra cost would be kinda pointless.[/quote]

Well, tell them to use PS3 only as a bluray player :lol:

[quote name='limelight022']Target has the Phillips player thats down to $199.[/QUOTE]

And then spend another $200 somewhere down the road on another Blu Ray player when your current one fails to serve you because of new BD+ and DRM implementations that the player cannot support even with a firmware upgrade because of its own restrictive hardware.

The PS3 will probably never have these problems because it has no hardware restrictions. It's scary powerful. Plus, you only need to have the PS3 connected to the internet and it will make updating the cons... Blu Ray player the easiest thing in the world.

Tell him to get a PS3.

[quote name='Chuplayer']And then spend another $200 somewhere down the road on another Blu Ray player when your current one fails to serve you because of new BD+ and DRM implementations that the player cannot support even with a firmware upgrade because of its own restrictive hardware.

The PS3 will probably never have these problems because it has no hardware restrictions. It's scary powerful. Plus, you only need to have the PS3 connected to the internet and it will make updating the cons... Blu Ray player the easiest thing in the world.

Tell him to get a PS3.[/quote]

No thanks, Ill just burn the firmware to a dvd and upgrade it for free.

I would only suggest the ps3 if you're into games. The sony Blu ray players are down to around 250-300 now I think. But tbh you'd pretty much get an all out media center with the ps3 for just 100 more. I never thought Id be into Blu-rays when I got my ps3, then I got an HD setup and I can hardly go back to DVD unless Im watching on an SD tv.

Go to cnet.com and read the reviews there. I would imagine the Sony ones are the best ones not the PS3, but I've not researched it.

I would say about 90% of the CAG's on here with Blu-Ray are using a PS3 so it's probably going to be a broken record from our community in terms of the responses.

[quote name='MSUHitman']Go to cnet.com and read the reviews there. I would imagine the Sony ones are the best ones not the PS3, but I've not researched it.

I would say about 90% of the CAG's on here with Blu-Ray are using a PS3 so it's probably going to be a broken record from our community in terms of the responses.[/quote]

Know what you are talking about before you speak up about it. We aren't recommending the PS3 because we own it. We are recommending it because it is the best player.

I went to CNET like you suggested...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/

...and guess what the best player is...

The PS3.

Whodathunkit?

This list consists of the best Blu-ray players on the market and the bottom line is clear--the Sony PlayStation 3 is the most by far the most recommendable Blu-ray player available today.

[quote name='Malik112099']Know what you are talking about before you speak up about it. We aren't recommending the PS3 because we own it. We are recommending it because it is the best player.

I went to CNET like you suggested...

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-blu-ray-players/

...and guess what the best player is...

The PS3.

Whodathunkit?[/quote]

And look right below the PS3. You can get the Panasonic DMP-BD35 for $285, $115 less than the cheapest PS3, and still have a rating of 4/5 stars.

I still don't understand why so many people insist on others buying a PS3, when all they simply want is a blu-ray player.

I got my Sony BDP-S350 player on black friday for $180 by price-matching at walmart. You can probably find similar deals just by watching amazon or slickdeals.net.

Samsung BDP-1500 is a decent player for the price if you can find it for under $200. Includes Ethernet jack on the back to update firmware (unfortunately no Netflix Streaming on this player - yet). Best Buy had it at this price point 2 weeks go and I used a 10% off coupon to get it to $179.99 plus tax for a Christmas present for my parents.

My only complaint with this unit is that it lacks a coaxial digital output, so I had to buy a Toslink Optical digital cable to run to the receiver to get 5.1 sound (if you don't hava receiver or TV that has HDMI jacks). I own a PS3 and while it makes a great Blu-Ray player, the Samsung at more than half the price of the PS3 is a decent alternative.

bread's done
Back