What are the best Import DS games?

cag1000

CAGiversary!
Feedback
54 (100%)
I found a new store that is loaded with Import DS games and felt kinda lost so I left and plan to go back. What are the best Import DS games that do not have US counterparts? Games that it would be ok if you cannot read Japanese. Mecha? JRPG? Anime based? Shmup? I only have a few so I'll start the list off with two I can remember I have.

1. Mother 3
2. Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosey Rupee Land
3. Jump Ultimate Stars
4. Jump Super Stars
5. Last Window:The Secret of Cape West
6. Ouendan 1&2
7. Choushouju Mecha MG
8. Kamen Rider Generations
9. Taiko no Tatsujin DS (Rhythm)
10. Ketsui ds
11. Fist of the North Star DS
12. NiNoKuni
13. Daigasso! Band Brothers (Rhythm)
14. Nodame Cantabile (Rhythm)
15. Tingle's Ballon Trip of Love
16. Ketsui Death Label

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked Jump Ultimate Stars. It is the sequel to JSS. Get that at the very least. You can use Gamefaqs for translations.

Last edited by a moderator:
The first Ouendan's US counterpart is technically Elite Beat Agents, but I believe the music in both games is different. Also, you don't need to know Japanese to be able to play it.

If your store stocks European DS games (no language barrier to worry about ;)), there's Last Window, which is the sequel to Hotel Dusk. I haven't played it yet, but I did enjoy Hotel Dusk, so it's in my backlog. If you like Level-5's games, their soccer RPG Inazuma Eleven also came out in Europe, but a North American release for that is still up in the air.

Ok thanks not sure about a music/rythm based game but will look into Ouendan. Wonder if Last window will ever come to the US. I'll put that on the list. Anyone else? Neeedddd moooreee...

There's that Kamen Rider Generations game that just recently came out. No way this is coming to the U.S. I don't know if it's any good but it looks like you can just pick up and play it, Japanese text but doesn't look essential to gameplay.

I think I only have two import games: Jump Ultimate Stars and Taiko no Tatsujin DS. Both of those games are awesome...It's great to have Taiko Drum Master game on the go, but the fact that it doesn't register two touches at the same time took a little away from it. Just beware of the DS's limitations if you get that game.

I bought the Fist of the North Star DS game at an anime convention a while back and I have enjoyed it quite a bit. The story is COMPLETELY in Japanese (told through a comic looking type format), but the gameplay is pretty much the same as Ouendan (as in you tap marked places in a certain order, etc), so it is completely playable without being able to read. However, if you are familiar with the anime/manga to begin with, you may be able to figure out what is going on from the manga images anyways and just be able to enjoy the art while you fill in the story yourself. I, however, am not. I have only seen the anime movie (well, and the live action one, but that doesn't really count...).

Rhythm Heaven has a superior soundtrack on the J-version. New Super Mario Bros. has minimal Japanese and comes in an infinitely cooler package.

NiNoKuni is worth it even if you don't understand Japanese and have to use a translation guide.

[quote name='cag1000']I found a new store that is loaded with Import DS games and felt kinda lost so I left and plan to go back. What are the best Import DS games that do not have US counterparts? Games that it would be ok if you cannot read Japanese. Mecha? JRPG? Anime based? Shmup? I only have a few so I'll start the list off with two I can remember I have.

1. Mother 3
2. Freshly Picked Tingle's Rosey Rupee Land
3. Jump Ultimate Stars
4. Last Window

I was also thinking about these, anyone have any expereince with...

Ouendan 1&2
Choushouju Mecha MG
Jump Super Stars[/QUOTE]

Mother 3 is a GBA game.

Ouendan 1 and 2 are a must. Ouendan is infinitely superior to EBA here in the US.

JSS and JUS are also quality. Make sure you play Super Stars first though, because IMO Ultimate Stars was better and makes going back to Super Stars rather difficult.

Taiko no Tatsujin 1 and 2 are also a must. Both quality games, and there are two of them on the PSP to import as well if you have a PSP. It looks like there's a third Taiko game for the DS, now, too.

Daigasso! Band Brothers is another quality rhythm import, really different from the others.

And finally, Nodame Cantabile is a relaxing rhythm game, a lot of classical music.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Isn't there a Gaia Sisters game or something that is supposed to be like Super Mario Bros.? What region(s) got that? Is it any good?[/QUOTE]

You're thinking of Giana Sisters DS and it was released only in Europe. Supposedly, it is coming out in the US soon. It was rated by the ESRB and reviewed in Nintendo Power earlier this year. There isn't a definite release date though.

Thanks for all the ideas. I updated the list. Anyone else have experience with these and know of others? There has to be a lot of Mecha, Anime, or shmps that will never come to the US.....

[quote name='62t']Ketsui Death Label if you want shmps[/QUOTE]

Nice thanks added to the list. It looked like the store had a lot of Anime based games. Any of those that can be reccomended?

Wish I had a store that sold import games. I would so get Last Window: Secret of Cape West and Tingle's Rosey Rupeeland if I ever saw them in a U.S. store.

What is the name of this store and where is it located?

bread's done
Back