What are the rarest games, systems, swag you have ever owned?

wugenius

CAGiversary!
Feedback
39 (100%)
I am just curious to see what kinds of rare gaming items you have ever owned or currently own. What's the story behind it?

I have played games for a long time, but I think the rarest thing I ever owned at one time was a boxed Turbo Duo and the awesome Dracula X for the PC Engine. I have always been a longtime Castlevania fan, and I had wanted to play that game FOREVER. (This was long before they announced the re-release as part of the Dracula X Chronicles and on the Virtual Console)

I saved up to buy it outright on ebay, when I found someone selling it for 250 with buy it now. It was up for an hour before I bought it since I figured it wouldn't last long at that price. Sure enough I finally played and beat the game. Awesome. I ended up selling it on ebay and it sold for 400 bucks. I would have liked to keep it, but I was trying to getting through school and needed money for books.

How about you?

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE. Hells yeah.

Gold Zelda-themed Game Boy Camera. Hells yeah.

It became less rare later on, but I got a Game Boy Pocket with a power LED before it was officially released in America. The first model eliminated the LED in the US release. I won the thing in a Blockbuster Diddy Kong Racing sweepstakes along with Donkey Kong Land 3.

An ATI Radeon HD 4890 graphics card. They're less than common. Really freaking good, too. I have an Asus one with 1GB of RAM.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE. Hells yeah.

It became less rare later on, but I got a Game Boy Pocket with a power LED before it was officially released in America. The first model eliminated the LED in the US release. I won the thing in a Blockbuster Diddy Kong Racing sweepstakes along with Donkey Kong Land 3.

An ATI Radeon HD 4890 graphics card. They're less than common. Really freaking good, too. I have an Asus one with 1GB of RAM.[/QUOTE]

That zelda themed gameboy camera sounds sweet! I ALMOST won in the Starfox Weekend Challenge. I was like 100 pts away from winning a Star Fox Leather Jacket. I was only like 12 or 13 when I played the star fox challenge at a KB Toys Store.

yuna's wedding statue
valkyria chronicles dev artbook signed by the dev team
a couple games signed by kojima

other than that i'm not sure what else i have would be very rare
i do have almost all the ps1 titles, but im sure many people on cag have them as well

These come to mind:

32X - Amazing Spider-Man: Web of Fire (CIB)
Virtual Boy - Waterworld (CIB)
NES - Chiller (unlicensed game - cart only)
NES - Dragon Warrior II (cart only)
SNES - Star Fox Super Weekend Tournament cart (cart only)
SNES - Earthbound (CIB)
SNES - E.V.O. Search for Eden (CIB)
SNES - Harvest Moon (CIB)
N64 - Ogre Battle 64 (CIB)
GBC - Shantae (CIB)
GBC - Metal Gear Solid (CIB)
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon Saga (CIB)
Saturn - Burning Rangers (CIB)
Saturn - Christmas Nights (complete with sleeve)
PS2 - Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE (sealed)
PS3 - Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition (sealed)
PSP - Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker LE (sealed)
PS1 - DDR Disney Mix (CIB)
PS1 - Klonoa: Door to Phatomile (CIB)
PS1 - Tomba 1 & 2 (CIB)

And some imports:
Saturn - Radiant Silvergun (CIB)
Saturn - Princess Crown (CIB)
Super Famicom - R2: Rendering Ranger (cart only)
Super Famicom - MahjyuuOu (cart only)
Super Famicom - Kirby Kira Kira Kids (cart only)
Super Famicom - Sutte Hakkun (CIB)
Super Famicom - Umihara Kawase (CIB)
Super Famicom - Amazing Spider-Man: Lethal Foes (CIB)
GBC - Pokemon Trading Card Game 2 (CIB)
Virtual Boy - Space Squash (CIB)
Virtual Boy - Virtual Fishing (CIB)
Virtual Boy - Insmouse no Yakata (CIB)
Dreamcast - L.O.L. Lack of Love (CIB)
XBOX360 - Deathsmiles LE (CIB)

There's probably a lot more I didn't think of, but those were the ones that caught my eye when I glanced through my collection just now.

*edit* Oh, and rarest systems I guess would be:

Panasonic Q w/controller and DVD remote (Japanese Gamecube/DVD player hybrid)
Game Boy Light (Gold)
SEGA CDX
Game Boy Micro (Japanese Pokemon Center LE, CIB)
Game Boy Micro (Japanese Final Fantasy IV LE, CIB)
Game Boy Color (Pokemon LE, CIB)
Super Famicom Box (Hotel unit with 6 built-in games)
Virtual Boy (Store display unit)

Uncharted Fortune Hunter Edition, which I still own. Only 200 were ever made, and you could only win it. When Uncharted 2 first came out, the Fortune Hunter Edition was worth over $3000 on eBay. I decided to wait a little longer for the hype died down and managed to get mine for $1000 shipped.

Bioshock Limited Edition. Nothing Special about this. Just bought it when it came out and kept it sealed since.

Metal Gear Solid Subsistence. I'm still kicking myself for not pre-ordering the damn thing, even though I was strongly considering it. Luckily, about two years after it came out, I had miraculously found a used copy at Blockbuster $15!

Snatcher for the Sega CD. Found one on eBay with a BIN price of $65 OBO. I made the seller an offer of $55 and she accepted. :)

Suikoden II. Had to trade a lot of crap in at a local game store to get this game, but I still think it was worth it.

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Collector's Edition. Nothing special here. Just bought it when it came out and kept it sealed. I only assume that it's rare because very few people had a PS3 when this game came out.

Phantasy Star Online I & II Plus. Found this game last year at a local game store for only $25. I even managed to get another $3 off simply by asking if I could get a discount. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?

Electroplakton. Bought it when it came out, kept sealed, yadda yadda.

There's definitely more, but that's all I can think of, at the moment.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Metal Gear Solid Subsistence. I'm still kicking myself for not pre-ordering the damn thing, even though I was strongly considering it. Luckily, about two years after it came out, I had miraculously found a used copy at Blockbuster $15![/QUOTE]

I hope you're not talking about the regular edition of Subsistence. Only the LE version is rare. The regular edition is rather common, and it got released again, albeit only with the first disc, in that Essentials collection.

I never really have been that big of a collector, but probably Dragon Quest V complete is my rare item.

Oh, and apparently the LE of SMAS that was released for the Wii in December. Not really rare, but it's one of about 10 items in my collection that I could sell right now for way more than I paid for them.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Uncharted Fortune Hunter Edition, which I still own. Only 200 were ever made, and you could only win it. When Uncharted 2 first came out, the Fortune Hunter Edition was worth over $3000 on eBay. I decided to wait a little longer for the hype died down and managed to get mine for $1000 shipped.
[/QUOTE]
that's one rare item i want to eventually pick up. Just not anytime soon

I've owned most of the rarities for the NES throughout my years of collecting, including several copies of Tengen Tetris and Flintstones Surprise at Dino Peak, as well as copies of Action 52, Panic Restaurant, Little Samson, Ducktales 2, Resuce Rangers 2, ROB with a complete copy of Stack Up and all the parts, and Micro Machines.

When I purged 75% of the NES collection in 2003, I sold most of the valuable stuff as well (and regret doing so, only because most of it went up in value), but as far as stuff I am currently in possession of, I have almost a complete set of Wisdom Tree games, I think I'm missing one of them, a complete copy of Arkanoid w/ controller, a near complete set of Camerica, Tengen, and AVE games (Again, I think I'm missing one or two of these as well), Qix, Chiller, Death Race, and some other relatively hard to find titles that aren't necessarily valuable like Wacky Races, Kid Klown, Pugsleys Scavenger Hunt, Battletoads / Double Dragon, and Mighty Final Fight.

On the SNES front, I have loose copies of Earthbound and Super Mario RPG, as well as a complete Captain Novolin.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I hope you're not talking about the regular edition of Subsistence. Only the LE version is rare. The regular edition is rather common, and it got released again, albeit only with the first disc, in that Essentials collection.[/QUOTE]
Yes, it's the Limited Edition with the red box and bonus DVD.

Panzer Dragoon Saga
Suikoden 2
Tales of Vesperia S.E.
Lunar SSSC and EBC both in great condition and complete
Tactics Ogre w/ Guide
Complete Top Loader NES w/ box, etc. excellent shape
Final Fantasy 2/3 Complete SNES

Probably all 3 sets of the Tales of Symphonia contest cards (still unopened). Only 1000 of each set was made and you could only win one set. I won set 3 and I had to do some work to track down the other two sets. I also have the Tales of Symphonia art cell (NOT the lithographs), which is extremely uncommon for some reason.

Other than that, I don't own anything particularly rare... I have tons of moderately rate stuff though (sealed Demon Souls DE, sealed Vesperia SE, lots of PS1 RPGs and a few sealed PS2 games).

If I had the money though, I'd drop it on the Uncharted 2 Fortune Hunter Edition. I hope they do a special edition for Uncharted 3 that everybody has a chance to get.

[quote name='Chuplayer']

[/QUOTE]

This is probably an oxymoron but... pics?:D

I'm not sure what's rare and what's not. I have Earthbound (no box), FF6, Chrono Trigger, and Mario RPG complete. Although I'm missing 4 manuals and some boxes I've the rest of the Virtual Boy US collection. Um, I bought a MM9 press kit for the launch price. I won a team-signed poster from the R&C Size Matters beta that's either 1 of 10 or 20. Have the platinum awards from the last 2 years of Nin's program. Plus both of the Game and Watch collections. Oh and a mint copy of Nin Power #1.

That's all I can think of quickly. My collection is huge and there's probably more.

*Thanks for reminding me. I've both PS1 Lunar games complete with all trinkets as far as I can tell. For the Saturn, Panzer Dragoon 1 and 2 plus Guardian Heroes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a specially made Lost Planet 2 print signed by Jun Takeuchi. 100 prints were made, 40 of them were signed. I've got plenty of other cool swag, but I don't want to write everything down/take pictures right now.

Rarest piece of swag I own is this:
COG3.JPG

Its the original Gears of War 2 COG tag as seen here

I won it at the GoW2 gold party. I was a tester on the game and at the gold party there was a raffle for a variety of prizes, this was a among them. Everyone on the team actually got a COG trophy with their name on it as well, but since I joined the team late, I never got one :cry:.

I've also got a menu and balloon from the gold party, which I don't have pictures of. One of the items on the menu was "Horde Burgers", though, and I think there was an alcoholic drink called the "Hammer of Dawn."

In any case, that's really my only piece of unique gaming memorabilia. I've run an eBay store for the past three years and in the process I've owned almost every rare or desirable game and I've paid next to nothing to acquire them (of course I've gone on to sell them, so they aren't in my collection). I do own Panzer Dragoon Saga, though, which is one of my favorite games of all time. I could never part with it. I also own a CIB Virtual Boy console, which I picked up for $20 on clearance at Kay Bee Toys in 97, I think.

Some games I have owned (and the prices paid):
- I've owned several CIB copies of E.V.O: Search for Eden and never paid over $5 for any of them
- Earthbound cart-only ($20)
- Bounty Bob Strikes Back (Atari 5200, I paid $3)
- Star For Super Weekend (I paid $100, sold for much more than that)
- Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES, paid $10)
- Suikoden II (paid $20 for it on Half.com)
- Several CIB Chrono Triggers for SNES (paid anywhere from $15 - $35 for these)
- Guardian Heroes (I've owned two, sold one and kept one, paid $10 for each)

I've owned a variety of other rarities, but I can't quite remember them. I probably sell anywhere from 500 - 600 games and movies per year, so its really easy to forget what has passed through my inventory. My personal collection has some good stuff in it, but its nothing compared to some of the stuff that has already been posted here.

Mine is not as impressive as others but this is what I have:

Valkyrie Profile Deluxe
Lunar Silver Star Story PS1 - Brand new
Lunar 2 Eternal Blue PS1 - Brand new
Grandia PS1 - Brand new
Grandia 2 Dreamcast - Brand new
and my brand new copy of Superman for the ps2 LOL

I have a ton of RPGs that are I guess considered rare these days since I have always been an RPG gamer first and foremost.

There are some I own that I know are rare like Suikoden 2, Shining Force 3, Chrono Trigger, Various Lunars, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Guardian Heroes, Dragon Force but I'm not exactly up to date on which are the rarest. Most were bought at retail when they first came out.

I had Dragonball GT for Playstation when it was rare. I ended up selling it right before it got re-released (Didn't know about that, felt kinda bad since I got like $400 then 6 months or a year later it was everywhere).

I also sold System Shock 2 for PC back when it was going for crazy amounts. Not sure if it still is.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Phantasy Star Online I & II Plus. Found this game last year at a local game store for only $25. I even managed to get another $3 off simply by asking if I could get a discount. Doesn't hurt to ask, right?[/QUOTE]

I got mine for $3.99.

Also, I own a promo book for Uncharted 2. It sits on top of my DVD shelves.

Girlfriend owns the Invader Zim house DVD set.

I own Wrestlemania X-7 on DVD.

Don't know how "rare" it's considered, but I managed to pick up a Mortal Kombat 1 arcade machine 8 years or so ago for only $225. By far my greatest gaming find, though I actually have my gf to thank for bringing it to my attention.

The single rarest game I own is a copy of Earthbound.

Surprisingly, I found it on the shelf at a Game-X-Change for $34.95. Not as good as finding it at a garage sale, but still a nice discount off the eBay price.

Other rare(ish) stuff...

Final Fantasy II (SNES) CIB
Super Mario RPG
Final Fantasy (NES)
Dragon Warrior II (NES)

Dragon Force for the Saturn, complete and near mint

Pokemon Box for Gamecube, though not quite as valuable as it used to be

I don't consider anything I own to be especially rare, although some are worth a lot more than I paid for them. I bought Suikoden 2 (disc only) during a Gamecrazy classic plastic sale for $5, and later got a manual on ebay for $13 (now I just need the art insert for the back cover.) I bought a Genesis/Sega CD just after graduation from a classmate for $20 that came with (amongst non-valuable stuff) Vay and Lunar SS (disc+manual, and the strategy guide for Vay.) Another friend gave me her Super Nintendo to get her mom off her back for owning too many videogames... came with cart only copies of Mario RPG, Zelda, E.V.O., and a bunch of other games good and bad. I found 2 Sega CD memory carts at a local flea market... one complete in box for $5 and one loose for $1, which I sold to a con-buddy for $15 (cheap for her, profit for me. Win-win.)

I suppose my rarest gaming thing would be my Secret of Mana game, which I bought cart-only for $15 at the flea market. Hiroko Kikuta, the music composer, was at a con I went to shortly after buying it, and I got it signed.

I also have the Ghaleon punching puppet, but he's more fun than rare. ;)

I had a Kingodm Hearts pitch book but I sold it and also my LittleBigPlanet billboard:
013-1.jpg

025.jpg

I own a couple Mass Effect 2 lithographs signed by their respective artists and limited to 300 prints. My favorites being: The Citadel, Normandy, and The Illusive Man.

I also recently won a Halo Reach poster signed by a number of the key developers, including one of, if not my favorite video game composer, Marty O'Donnell.

Also have a ticket stub to a Video Games Live concert that I attended signed by the creators, Tommy Tallarico and Jack Wall.

[quote name='Chuplayer']Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence LE. Hells yeah.

An ATI Radeon HD 4890 graphics card. They're less than common. Really freaking good, too. I have an Asus one with 1GB of RAM.[/QUOTE]

How is a 4890 rare? Lots of people still have/sell them (I do in fact, it might be dying though :(), you could say a 8800gt is rare too then ( along with another thousand or so cards )

I'd say the 3dfx cards/voodoo ones are much more rarer depending on the model.

I don't really have anything rare.. :cry:

I said the 4890s are less than common, not rare. You certainly aren't able to find them new anymore. It was hard to get the one I got when I got it back in late 2009.

[quote name='ducksoda7']Uncharted Fortune Hunter Edition, which I still own. Only 200 were ever made, and you could only win it. When Uncharted 2 first came out, the Fortune Hunter Edition was worth over $3000 on eBay. I decided to wait a little longer for the hype died down and managed to get mine for $1000 shipped.[/QUOTE]

Here I was thinking you actually won it, I don't think I could ever pay that much money for a game.

A mint/complete US Turbo Duo
A Neo Geo CDZ that I bought new in 2003
Unopened PS2 Sega Saturn pads (one each of black, Vampire Collection, solid white, grey, and white w/colored buttons)
Garou MOTW PS2 bundle with Neo Geo stick
KOF Orochi collection PS2 bundle with Neo Geo stick
A new smoke grey Skeleton Saturn (I actually should probably open it if only just to take out the battery. I'd shit if it exploded inside the system)
A bunch of import Saturn games of varying rarity (fave system) including Battle Garegga, Radiant Silvergun, Batsugun, and Guardian Force.

There's more stuff I guess. But I'm not at home right now so I can't go digging around in my basement.

[quote name='DuelLadyS']I don't consider anything I own to be especially rare, although some are worth a lot more than I paid for them. I bought Suikoden 2 (disc only) during a Gamecrazy classic plastic sale for $5, and later got a manual on ebay for $13 (now I just need the art insert for the back cover.) I bought a Genesis/Sega CD just after graduation from a classmate for $20 that came with (amongst non-valuable stuff) Vay and Lunar SS (disc+manual, and the strategy guide for Vay.) Another friend gave me her Super Nintendo to get her mom off her back for owning too many videogames... came with cart only copies of Mario RPG, Zelda, E.V.O., and a bunch of other games good and bad. I found 2 Sega CD memory carts at a local flea market... one complete in box for $5 and one loose for $1, which I sold to a con-buddy for $15 (cheap for her, profit for me. Win-win.)

I suppose my rarest gaming thing would be my Secret of Mana game, which I bought cart-only for $15 at the flea market. Hiroko Kikuta, the music composer, was at a con I went to shortly after buying it, and I got it signed.

I also have the Ghaleon punching puppet, but he's more fun than rare. ;)[/QUOTE]

My story is similar to yours when I first started collecting a friend gave me pretty much every game he owned as a kid and some he picked up at yard sales for $25, it was a lot of stuff and I still have most of it today. I have metroid super NES complete in box with strategy guide etc... I bought a genesis off a college classmate for $20 which was very cheap back then and I still have it, atari's come cheap at yard sales etc and then it just spun off from there. I didn't have any console games as a kid so I had to start from scratch collecting everything. I just buy everything I see at yard sales for cheap and then worry about piecing it together later.

Hmmm

I've got Steel Battalion complete with both games and controller

At one time I had several copies of IQ and Silent Hill Black Label

Other then that not too much

Don't know know how rare these are, but I still like my Silent Hill 2, 3, and 4 for pc. Actually I'm pleased when any of my pc stuff retains its value or increases.

I don't have a lot of rare stuff. Probably the rarest of it is my Virtual Boy with a few games including 3D Tetris, My 3DO, and my CIB Dragon Warrior 3.

I have a Mario and Star Fox bobblehead too, not entirely sure how rare they are though. I think they were part of some Target promotion.

My brother used to have a bunch of rare Saturn games: Panzer Dragoon Saga, Dragon Force, Shining Force 3, Guardian Heroes, and others. Then he sold them all to Funcoland, and I died a little on the inside.

I have a mint Final Fantasy VII black label with the misprint on the back that I bought brand new when it first came out. I spent all of my allowance to get it and ended up playing a grand total of 10 minutes with it. Still have it and still haven't touched it lol. I also have (off the top of my head) the Demon's Souls LE, Dragon Age Origins LE with LE guide, a sealed copy of Zak and Wiki (thought it was uncommon), sealed copy of Ace Combat 6 stick bundle, Tales of Vesperia LE, mint MGS Twin Snakes, NHL 07 for the PSP (uncommon), sealed Shin Megami Tensei Devil Summoner 1 and 2 (with plush), sealed Persona 3 FES with Art Book and CD, and probably the rarest thing I have is the Persona 4 Social Link Expansion pack from Amazon still sealed. I probably have more, but I can't remember them now lol!

I don't have anything that rare at all. I guess my rarest stuff would probably be every mario/wario land game out there (Minus the virtual boy version). I own SML, SML2:6 Golden Coins, SML3:Wario Land, Wario Land 2, Wario Land 3, Wario Land 4, Wario Land: Shake It.

Sealed Suikoden 2 and my Harvest Moon collection. I just need Harvest Moon 2 and 3 for the Gameboy and the PAL SNES Harvest Moon to have all of the Harvest Moons for the SNES,GB,N64 and PSX.

I would say Castlevania: Rondo of Blood for my PC Engine, Castlevania Dracula X and Ninja Gaiden Trilogy for SNES, and a U.S. cart only Stadium Events for NES.

I found a sealed Dragon Warrior NES game the other day.

I used to have a 2nd edition SNES but sold it (DUMB move)

Nothing else too rare. Culdcept Saga on 360 and stuff like that.

I used to own mint copies of Suikoden II and Valkyrie Profile around the height of their eBay prices, but that's about all.

Nowadays I've got several games that have at least retained their value fairly well, but I wouldn't consider them rare.

[quote name='punkmaggit']DO WANT. Where'd you get that one?[/QUOTE]

I won it last september when sega was doing their blitz promotion for valkryia 2. even now i feel very lucky that i won it

Rarest is probably this "Waterworld" game for the Atari 2600. It's still sealed and it's somewhere in storage in my parent's garage. It also came with a t-shirt, but I have no clue where that thing is anymore.

Anyways, the majority of my info about it comes from this one AVGN video that talks about it. The game was one part of a four-game series, which gave you a chance to win some random game swag that had some actual jewelry in it. The game I got, Waterworld, never popped up in stores and was only available if you were part of some Atari fan club. I wasn't part of it(I don't think I was even born when the game came out) but I got the game because my dad got it from someone he worked with, and my dad thought it was a N64 game(N64 being like 4 months old at the time). Little ol' Eddie was pretty sad to see that I got some random old game that I'll never play. I left it in my closet, never even bothering to open it and it just stayed there. When we all moved out and parted ways, Mom left it in a storage box, along with a bunch of old VHSs and there it sits somewhere in their garage of their new house to this day.

Also, I second the motion that an 4890 isn't "rare" in the same sense as we're talking about here.

EDIT: Not an actual pic, but just some random one I found on Google:

c_SwordquestWaterworld_Silver_front.jpg

bread's done
Back