What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Kerplunkuga']Im still trying to get through dance with dragons...[/QUOTE]

yeah, i'm really struggling with that one. 4 was just so bland that perhaps i stopped caring.

I couldn't finish Mists of Avalon. It became far too predictable and cliche, and I really don't have the patience to bog through that much bullshit.

So, I am moving onto A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin. And so far, it is enjoyable. The style is a little odd, but it works for the most part.

Just started The Truth by Terry Pratchett. I tend to really like the standalone Discworld books, so I've been really looking forward to this.

I'm also almost finished with The Dark Knight Returns.

Been maybe 9 months to a year since I read the previous book in this series so it took a little while for my mind to refresh onto who all the characters were. It's pretty much the same book as the other three. though.

Was 75% through Ender's Game, but put it down. Skimmed through the ending and everything. I just really disliked this book the more it went along. I know the author was young when we wrote the book, and to me it just really showed and in a very boring way. Corny, ridiculous, predictable -- I enjoyed the parts about Peter, but boy was I getting tired of reading about Ender's brilliant mind and his cookie cutter battle strategies.

[quote name='Kerplunkuga']Ready Player One.[/QUOTE]

ive been really tempted to pick that up. let us know what you think of it. ive been jumping from a few books lately.

Boys will Be Boys (about the dallas cowboys dynasty in the 90's)

Adam Carolla in 50 years we'll all be chicks (very funny i have like 30 pages left)
and i read a kindle single on

Macho Man randy savage called the life and death of randy savage (basically told through a life long fans eyes, very good read)
and

im stilllll working on Bret Hitman Harts book "My real life in the cartoon world of wrestling" its basically a must have if your a bret hart fan or even a wrestling fan. some crazy ass stories in this book and its like 600 pages im like 25% through

Finished A Prayer for Owen Meany a couple weeks back. It was good, but I didn't like it as much as the other John Irving books I've read.

Finished this while on vacation last week:

51s889ttrnL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Good read if your into running at all.

Now on to:

41f6tpRVssL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm finishing up "The Electric Kool Aid Acid Test." Pretty interesting and a fun read, but it is feeling like it is really dragging on. I keep thinking there is nothing more that the Pranksters can do and then they go ahead and have another acid test. Those crazy kids.

Pretty generic. Mysterious alien object tries to communicate with earth sci-fi. (Whcih after reading amazon reviews is basically a homage to an earlier 50's book).
Very generic characters and plot so far.
I'm about halfway done and might just skip ahead to the ending.

Finished Skeletons on the Zahara. Very enjoyable book. I had no knowledge of it beforehand - as a matter of fact my sister in law just dumped it off at my house thinking it belonged to me but not knowing where it came from. So I just started reading it on a lark and was completely hooked. It's the true story of Captain Riley and his merchant vessel Commerce crashing off the coast of the Sahara and subsequently being captured by nomadic Arabs and being brutalized and passed off throughout the country. I highly recommend it. Entertaining and fascinating. Also, according to the author, Riley's narrative that the book is based on was read by Lincoln as a boy and is credited with instilling his belief that slavery is a horribly institution and should be abolished.

Now in honor of football season starting up in a few days I'm reading The Glory Game:

[url=http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/1246397.The_Glory_Game?utm_medium=api&utm_source=blog_book]
The Glory Game by Hunter Davies[/URL]

Finished A Wizard of Earthsea. Short, but so very good. Looking forward to starting the second book in the stories when I don't have to read for class. Oh the joys of being an English major.

Starting Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe.

I should read more non-fiction. But....

House of Chains by Steven Erikson. (why can't I paste the image in Chrome? Grrr..)

1000+ pages. Big narrative shift from the previous books. Still over populated, detailed, and violent.

Closet I've ever come to reading prize winning literature was that Oscar Wao book by Junot Diaz and Amazing Adventures of Cavalier and Clay by Chaborn.

Both were tangentially geek related, so that's my execuse.

Only 300 pages or so into House of Chains. Can hopefully finish it over my trip later this week. Have to keep a wiki open while reading in order to remember all these characters and keep them straight.
http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Founding_races

I'm about half way through Dance with Dragons, anybody have any recommendations of similar works? I got used to reading one book after the other, looks like it's going to be a while before I can read the next.

I heard In the Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear are really good books somewhat similar in style.

Currently reading the Artemis Fowl series, started it two weeks ago and already on book 7, good fun reads.

I just started The Last Colony by John Scalzi. So far I think I'm enjoying it more than The Ghost Brigades, which I found a little dry for Scalzi.

[quote name='Clak']I'm about half way through Dance with Dragons, anybody have any recommendations of similar works? I got used to reading one book after the other, looks like it's going to be a while before I can read the next.[/QUOTE]

I seriously loved the Acacia trilogy. It's a fairly unknown series from a relatively unknown author, but I thought it was fantastic. It has what I found a really unique approach to magic and dragons, and considering the author's previous works were all historical fictions, an authentic feeling to the warfare. And, the best thing about it is the final book of the trilogy came out last year so you can finish it all right now without waiting years for the new book in the series!

I'm currently re-reading the Hobbit before the semester starts, and I am forced to read novels I would otherwise not read. And wow, I've completely forgotten how engaging a tale The Hobbit is.

Even the simplistic style of omnicient writing (something I abhor) brings so much life into the story, and not to mention the songs.

I'll give those recommendations a look. I was looking through B&N's free selection and thought I'd re-read The Time Machine, haven't read that in years.

[quote name='Maklershed']Kindle The Dog Stars by Peter Heller[/QUOTE]^Finished this today. Great book. I loved it. It's a post-apocalypse (virus) story about a man, his dog, and his militant friend who considers himself lucky to be living in the apocalypse. What I liked about this story was that unlike most PA it doesn't spend time describing the horrors of being left behind, or the mess and dead bodies, or how or why the apocalypse happened .. its about people surviving and defending themselves against other survivors. I'd definitely put it in my top 5 favorite PA books along with A Canticle for Leibowitz, The Postman, and World Made by Hand. I can't recommend this enough and hopefully I can convince some people in this thread it and spread the word.Anywho, since I finished that I'm now on to J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets J. Edgar Hoover: The Man and the Secrets by Curt Gentry

Finished The Dark Monk the other day. Not quite as good as The Hangman's Daughter, but still entertaining and a solid sequel.

Now reading:

51d%2BpsSQd5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-76,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

And this for work:

31NXPQ15i5L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Looking through some potential reads makes me realize just how long GRRM's books are. I mean some of the most well known and celebrated fiction isn't even half the length of some of the Ice and Fire books, no wonder it takes him forever to write them.

Nearly a month later. Still on House of Chains.v

Granted the book is 1000 pages and I keep having to go back to http://malazan.wikia.com/wiki/Malazan_Wiki to refresh my memory of previous characters.
With the previous books by the time I get to the last couple hundred pages is when I start devouring the book and finish within hours.

Goodreads- gbpackers94

I've been reading A World Made by Hand and Breakfast of Champions. AWMBH is moving pretty slow (only like 5 chapters in) but I love BoC.

[quote name='gbpackers94']Goodreads- gbpackers94

I've been reading A World Made by Hand and Breakfast of Champions. AWMBH is moving pretty slow (only like 5 chapters in) but I love BoC.[/QUOTE]

I added you on goodreads (theu).

Currently reading: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

I finished The Amber Spyglass a few days back and am really kicking myself for only getting to that now. Started on Magician: Apprentice by Raymond Feist.

Currently reading Daemon by Daniel Suarez. It's sort of slow so far, but I think I'm getting to a point where things are picking up.

I read Jumper by Steven Gould prior to that. I saw commercials for the movie a while back, and the book really was nothing like I thought it would be, though I think that ended up being a really good thing. I ended up enjoying the book much more than I expected, but there is a part of me that is tempted to rent the movie just to see how much they ruined the book.

[quote name='gbpackers94']I've been reading A World Made by Hand and Breakfast of Champions. AWMBH is moving pretty slow (only like 5 chapters in) but I love BoC.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily a spoiler, but I figured I'd hide it in case you want to avoid any opinions on how the book ends. I don't explicitly state anything, just give an opinion.

I liked about 85% of what I read in AWMBH. The end just gets really bizarre and comes at you out of left-field, and if I recall, doesn't really have much of a resolution or explain the sudden change in tone. It frustrated me, because it was a book I enjoyed up until that point.

Jumper is actually not that bad of a movie. I enjoyed it. Then again I went in with my expectations set to zero and I figured I wouldn't have lasted 10 minutes.

[quote name='crunchewy']Ordered a new Kindle Paperwhite. It looks like a pretty sweet e-ink reader indeed. Too bad it won't ship until October 1st. :( Oh well.[/QUOTE]

I ordered one as well!

Now reading: City of Glass (Mortal Instruments #3)

http://www.amazon.com/Starfarers-Po...5&sr=1-1&keywords=starfarers+by+poul+anderson

Starfarers by Poul Anderson

Hard Sci-Fi with lots of advanced concepts that I won't pretend to fully grasp. Very generic "international" characters with a pretty slow moving plot.
Quote from Kirkus Reviews on Amazon sums it up better than I could:
An episodic, disconcerting mix of mind-boggling ideas, thrilling storytelling, dull padding, and characters-by-numbers, set forth in Anderson's patented outlandish, antique prose:

51K53JKG1TL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

bread's done
Back