What are you currently reading? Post here!

Just finished the strain. Damn that was a good vampire book. Written by the same guy who wrote the town, one of my favorite heist movies. Who knew he did vampire books too

Finished up re-reading The Hobbit. It's just as fantastic, engaging and wonderfully written as I remember.

I am now moving onto Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects by Christie Golden and Neuromancer by William Gibson.

I liked it but honestly I'm not sure I understood all of it. For example,
Am I right in thinking Julianna and 'The man in the high castle' determine through consulting the oracle that their world isn't real and the actual reality is what is in The Grasshopper Lies Heavy?

Monstrous Regiment by Terry Pratchet.
Another Discworld book. Not bad, a bit more of the same but enjoyable.

51xuqwdXimL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

I'm reading The Hobbit since I didn't read any of the lotr books before seeing the films. I've seen the first part if The Hobbit already, and have to say I prefer the film. I I understand that the book was intended as a children's book, yes? If that's true, it shows. I especially so far do not like how the elves are portrayed. Like they're a bunch of silly children themselves, and not like the films more serious version.

[quote name='Clak']I'm reading The Hobbit since I didn't read any of the lotr books before seeing the films. I've seen the first part if The Hobbit already, and have to say I prefer the film. I I understand that the book was intended as a children's book, yes? If that's true, it shows. I especially so far do not like how the elves are portrayed. Like they're a bunch of silly children themselves, and not like the films more serious version.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it was written as a children's book.

I don't care for it nearly as much as I do the LOTR books or The Silmarillion. Thus I was very happy that they decided to expand on the book in the movie with the White Council/Dol Goldur stuff that happened off page and stuff from the LOTR appendices.

Planning on seeing the first movie this week, probably tomorrow.

I do wonder how they're getting 3 movies from such a short book. They must really plan to expand a good deal.

I'm going to see the Hobbit this weekend so I just finished the Hobbit. Now I know this isn't the standard literature but I'm reading Thinking Recursively by Eric Roberts.

[quote name='Clak']I do wonder how they're getting 3 movies from such a short book. They must really plan to expand a good deal.[/QUOTE]

They did expand a lot, the movie really didn't drag at 2.5 hours. Jackson took the appendices from LOTR and basically showed you what happened during the Hobbit. In the book, for instance, Gandalf keeps disappearing but the dwarves just chalk it up to him being a wizard. In the appendices Tolkien talks about what he was doing during those times he was missing. In the film, Jackson just filled in the pieces in the correct timeline. He did it pretty flawlessly IMO too.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']They did expand a lot, the movie really didn't drag at 2.5 hours. Jackson took the appendices from LOTR and basically showed you what happened during the Hobbit. In the book, for instance, Gandalf keeps disappearing but the dwarves just chalk it up to him being a wizard. In the appendices Tolkien talks about what he was doing during those times he was missing. In the film, Jackson just filled in the pieces in the correct timeline. He did it pretty flawlessly IMO too.[/QUOTE]

I'm hoping this trilogy does really well as that gives a chance that we will see the Similarion as a movie.

After playing and loving Metro 2033 I started the book. Pretty good about halfway in. The action is written sort of woodenly but the atmosphere is still cool.

I read The Perks of Being A Wallflower in a day last week. My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye which I heard Perks compared to a lot. I'm not sure if it's because I read both after a major death in the family but I really enjoyed them. I've always been an introverted outsider so both are relatable.

Now I'm reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I saw the movie already which was crap but I'm enjoying the book. The book is a lot better and quite different.

I bought both of those books during the summer along with LA Confidential and 3 other books by the same author. LA Noire got me in that mood while playing it. I'll probably read those next. I think The Black Dahlia is the first in the series.

[quote name='Cleaner7']I read The Perks of Being A Wallflower in a day last week. My favorite book is The Catcher in the Rye which I heard Perks compared to a lot. I'm not sure if it's because I read both after a major death in the family but I really enjoyed them. I've always been an introverted outsider so both are relatable.

Now I'm reading Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. I saw the movie already which was crap but I'm enjoying the book. The book is a lot better and quite different.

I bought both of those books during the summer along with LA Confidential and 3 other books by the same author. LA Noire got me in that mood while playing it. I'll probably read those next. I think The Black Dahlia is the first in the series.[/QUOTE]

James Ellroy is the author of LA Confidential. It's actually the first in his LA series. Black Dahllia is just stand alone. He's got some good autobiographical stuff as well if you want to read how messed he (thinks) is.
Noir as fuck.
The writing and word pacing takes a while to get used to, but once you do, it's stuck in your head.
65 miles an hour. Down the read. Unstoppable..

I finished Life by Keith Richards. It is a must read for any Stones' fan. Last night I started
And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder by Deborah Spungen.

I just(in the last week and a half) finished the five books of the Songs of Ice and Fire books(Game of thrones books). Liked them a lot, definitely my kind of books, anyone have any reccomendations for someone who enjoys those kind of books? I like all kinds of fiction but I'm a big fan of the medieval stuff especially.

I think I'll look into the Metro 2033 book, I liked the game, should be an interesting read.

[quote name='RobMinhas']I just(in the last week and a half) finished the five books of the Songs of Ice and Fire books(Game of thrones books). Liked them a lot, definitely my kind of books, anyone have any reccomendations for someone who enjoys those kind of books? I like all kinds of fiction but I'm a big fan of the medieval stuff especially.

I think I'll look into the Metro 2033 book, I liked the game, should be an interesting read.[/QUOTE]

A really cool under appreciated fantasy series is The Saga of Recluse by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. It has some magic elements, but it doesn't have elves, dwarves and a lot of high fantasy things and focuses a lot on political dealings like Martin's books.

Metro 2033 is pretty good, the translation is rough, but the ideas are fleshed out in an interesting way.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']A really cool under appreciated fantasy series is The Saga of Recluse by L. E. Modesitt, Jr. It has some magic elements, but it doesn't have elves, dwarves and a lot of high fantasy things and focuses a lot on political dealings like Martin's books.

Metro 2033 is pretty good, the translation is rough, but the ideas are fleshed out in an interesting way.[/QUOTE]

Ugh. Not the saga of recluse. I read a few of them, and while the magic system is pretty good (strict rules for chaos and order in every aspect of lifei). It goes back to the same well every time.

There's like 15 books in the series, and I'd say maybe a third of them follow the trend of "Young boy/girl goes on a journey to discover their newly awakend powers. Powers that soon eclipse their elders."

Abercrombie The Third Law/King's Blade is a pretty good equiviliant to Song of Ice and Fire. Not as many characters/POV and politics but alot of bloody action and dark fantasy.

[quote name='eldergamer']Ugh. Not the saga of recluse. I read a few of them, and while the magic system is pretty good (strict rules for chaos and order in every aspect of lifei). It goes back to the same well every time.

There's like 15 books in the series, and I'd say maybe a third of them follow the trend of "Young boy/girl goes on a journey to discover their newly awakend powers. Powers that soon eclipse their elders."

Abercrombie The Third Law/King's Blade is a pretty good equiviliant to Song of Ice and Fire. Not as many characters/POV and politics but alot of bloody action and dark fantasy.[/QUOTE]

I can see that. I only read 5 or 6 of them, so I can see it getting tired, but the magic system just seemed so original when I first read them.

I'm 8 books into the Discworld series. Really enjoying it, it's fun, light reading but still smart (or rather, smart assed).

I disagree that the Third Law series is equivalent to SOIAF. It's more of a screen treatment than anything, those three books are all about action, and the further you go into them, the more characterization and detail get discarded in favor of the big, action filled climax. The good thing about them is that they're easy to tear through quickly. And Glotka.

They're only equiviliant as they're both "low" fantasies (little magic, no other races) and both are pretty gritty/dark. Game of Thrones is focused more on characters and plots, while Third Law is more action oriented.

Hey guys, just discovered this thread. I used to read all the time back in high school, but since I've been in college I found I haven't been nearly as much. I'd start books, but as I'd get into the semester I'd get sidetracked and never finish.

I just got a Kindle paperwhite for Christmas, and hopefully that will lead to me reading a lot more. I knew about it ahead of time, so I picked up some of the kindle daily deals beforehand.

I started Roadside Picnic earlier today, and currently I am about halfway through it; I'm really enjoying it so far, not bad at all for $2.

Player of Games by Iain M Banks.
Another culture novel. Best one I've read so far. Unfortunately, it's about two weeks over due at the library and I may not get around to finishing it.

51qES5r-5cL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

[quote name='RobMinhas']I just(in the last week and a half) finished the five books of the Songs of Ice and Fire books(Game of thrones books). Liked them a lot, definitely my kind of books, anyone have any reccomendations for someone who enjoys those kind of books? I like all kinds of fiction but I'm a big fan of the medieval stuff especially.

I think I'll look into the Metro 2033 book, I liked the game, should be an interesting read.[/QUOTE]

Here is a list of books you might enjoy:

The Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan- 14 books starting with A New Spring and finishing with A Memory of Light which is being released on Jan. 8. Brandon Sanderson has penned the last three book (
Mistborn Trilogy by Brandon Sanderson
The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson- It is the first book of his 10 book series, The Stornlight Archive
The Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss- The Name of the Wind and The Wise Man's Fear and the first two book in a three book series. The 3rd book is yet to be released.
Codex Alera by Jim Butcher- 6 books
The Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind

Brandon Sanderson's Warbreaker is also good. Just the one book, but definitely a good read.

Hope this helps.

Finished up Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects by Christie Golden. Another excellent WoW novel from Golden. It's not nearly as character-driven as Arthas was, but it's still solid nonetheless.

Started up Neuromancer by William Gibson. About a quarter of the way through the book and it's fantastic.

I stopped reading And I Don't Want to Live This Life: A Mother's Story of Her Daughter's Murder for now. I became a bit bored with it. I will finish it later. I started reading Pillars of Earth. I'm about 8 chapters in & I like it thus far.

Some good deals on Kindle books lately.

Under the Doom by Stephen King is the daily deal today at $1.99. Also grabbed 11/23/63 for $3.99. And a couple other books for $2.99 or so--Mystic River by Dennis Lehane and Agincourt by Bernard Cornwell.

The other day I got Neil Young's autobiography and a George Washington bio for $1.99 in an earlier daily deal.

About the same for me. 26 with two in progress (The Color of Magic and Walking Dead Compendium Vol 2) that I may finish before the 1st.

Down from 41 finished last year.

Goodreads is nice, but I wish when I rated a book an added it to my read shelf, it automatically included the "date read" as well. I always have to go back and edit that in. It doesn't post to my facebook with each book either. :sad:

Their recommendations aren't 100% useful either.

[quote name='Maklershed']a) All you have to do is click 'set today as date read'.

b) It posts to my activity feed automatically. Not sure why it doesn't work for you.[/QUOTE]

That requires an extra click. If I'm rating, and adding the book to my read (done) shelf, it should automatically set the date as date read.

Then again, sometimes I'm adding two or three books at once and I don't want them to all have the same "completed" date.

Finished The Color of Magic. Enjoyed it a lot. Will definitely be reading more Discworld novels in the future, even made a Discworld collection on my Kindle. :D

On to:

51stYiIEMGL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-65,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

bread's done
Back