What are you currently reading? Post here!

Started Second Book of Lost Swords by Fred Saberhagen.

Not sure why I keep reading these. The writing is pretty dull, and the swords aren't nearly used in as many interesting ways as they could be.

41HHGTEF0DL._AA160_.jpg

Thanks to the Kaiju Combat Kickstarter, I got a free ebook copy of Project NEMESIS: A Kaiju Thriller. I'm only a few chapters in, but I gotta say, I'm already sure I'm going to be recommending this to people for years to come.

[quote name='Mr. Sax Appeal']Finished Brave New World. I liked it, though I definitely prefer 1984.[/QUOTE]

And on that note, I'm currently reading an anthology of short stories about dystopias called Brave New Worlds. Pretty good so far, though I can't say as many of the stories have stood out to me, but I'm enjoying the variety in how dystopian literature is approached. While there are a few of your typical dystopias, many take unique approaches in either what caused the utopia or how the government exerts its control.

I use Shelfari, but if you start a Goodreads CAG group, I'll transfer over to it.

Edit- I'll just stick to using this thread to join CAG readers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since my last post I have finished several books.

Pillars of Earth (Good)
Dune (Very Good)
All Quiet on the Western Front (Excellent)
Me Talk Pretty One Day (Meh)

I started The Looming Tower a few days ago. It is very engrossing.

[quote name='kerouac kid']
All Quiet on the Western Front (Excellent)
[/QUOTE]

I just picked that up in paperback from a library sale. Good to see someone else liked it.

[quote name='eldergamer']Did we ever start a CAG group on goodreads?[/QUOTE]

There is one but it was pretty much DOA.

I think I'm going to start the Dragonrider's of Pern series today. I feel like this series was sort of a joke to me when I was in middle school so I never tried it. Should I get into it?

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson

Started it last weekend. Only maybe 50 pages in so far, and it hasn't quite captivated me yet. Hell, it won the Hugo, so that was enough for me to pick it up. But I don't need a trite coming of age and unrequited love story shoved in the middle.
Good sci-fi is hard to find.

51ChBTGBPoL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Roosh V - A Dead Bat In Paraguay

very funny, but also interesting on society and men/women relationships.

Its on Amazon.

I just finished a pair of novels from Daniel H. Wilson, whose background is in robotics: Robopocalypse and Amped (links below).

Critics are comparing him to early Michael Crichton. I don't know if I'd go that far, but his writing is very visual (to the point where Dreamworks has already optioned Robopocalypse). He also takes time to (in Amped anyway) to make the world seemingly as realistic as possible through news reports, government documents and other means. The technology is all rooted in science fact but still years away from becoming reality. But both novels are more about our humanity, or in Amped the struggle to maintain humanity, with the tech taking the back seat just to set the scenes.

http://www.amazon.com/Robopocalypse...tmm_hrd_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1361001443&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.com/Amped-Daniel-H-Wilson/dp/0385535155/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_y

[quote name='parKer']I just picked that up in paperback from a library sale. Good to see someone else liked it.[/QUOTE]

It really makes you think about the "other side". A great look at stolen youth.

Stephen Brust: The Paths of the Dead

A sequel to 500 years later, and prologue to the Vlad Taltos novels.
Written as a homage, and in the style of Alexander Dumas; Three Musketeers novels, (which takes a bit of getting used to. And makes me want to read those novels)

51F03NXY15L._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

Just finished Ready Player One (AMAZING) and then breezed through Ellen Degeneres' book Seriously...I'm Kidding for fun.

Might stick with the autobio/nonfiction for a bit and read Olivia Munn's autobio before I go back into fiction.

Was thinking of reading the Darth Plagueis book by James Luceno. Anyone read it?

[quote name='RockinTheRedDog']Just finished Ready Player One (AMAZING) [/QUOTE]

Agreed. Fantastic book, and it stirred many good 80s memories. Some of my iconic movies, shows, music and even D&D modules made an appearance. The writer must've had a very similar childhood. You know Ernest Cline is one of the guys who penned Fanboys, right?

[quote name='kerouac kid']Since my last post I have finished several books.

Me Talk Pretty One Day (Meh)

[/QUOTE]

I've been a huge David Sedaris fan since I first heard "The Santaland Diaries" on NPR. I gave out about fifteen copies of Holidays on Ice to friends and family when it came out in hardback.

I can see if you're new to his writing it would seem a little Meh because he casually assumes in later collections you already know quite a bit about the people he mentions, like his sister Amy and boyfriend Hugh.

[quote name='SilentBob50023']Agreed. Fantastic book, and it stirred many good 80s memories. Some of my iconic movies, shows, music and even D&D modules made an appearance. The writer must've had a very similar childhood. You know Ernest Cline is one of the guys who penned Fanboys, right?[/QUOTE]

WHAAAAAT! That's awesome! I love that movie. I look forward to his next book whatever it may be.

[quote name='JolietJake']Currently reading my networking + book. Yay me.[/QUOTE]

I'm reading my A+ book and was gonna do net + after, is it hard or confusing? Thanks

Finished Make Room! Make Room! and I can't recommend it enough. The first 5 star book I've read in a while. In addition to having what I feel is a great message about birth control, conservation, and the environment, it's also an all around great semi-apocalypse story. As some people familiar with these threads / my posts might possibly know, I'm a huge post-apocalypse nut and this book scares me the most because it jives with my guess at how the world (as we know it) could possibly end. Not with an asteroid, or a black hole, or an alien invasion, or volcanic eruption, or massive earthquake, or nuclear bomb - but with over population and consumption of natural resources past the breaking point towards a slow collapse of society in general. Its really tragic that this book got turned into a movie where the only thing that people know about the story is that 'soylent green is people' (a fact not even mentioned in the book). Make Room! Make Room is $5.38 for the Kindle version on Amazon right now and I highly recommend it.

Started Dune Messiah

Dune Messiah by Frank Herbert

Oh man, nearly two weeks since I started reading my last book. I need to stop playing on my phone during breaks at work and finish reading. (Also need to stop working at work and start reading)

Reading the School Rumble manga. Got it cheap from gohastings, and LOVED the anime, so I figured "why not?". Really like it so far. I haven't read a ton of manga, but this one sticks really close to the anime, and is really funny. Makes me want to watch the show again:bouncy:

Almost done with World War Z by Max Brooks.

The next book I'm going to start reading is: The Neuropathology of Zombies by Peter Cummings and M. Joseph Schuhler Jr.

I love all things zombie since my older brother made me watch the original Dawn of the Dead as a child.

Nietzsche's Beyond Good & Evil

Granted I've only started reading for leisure a year or so ago, this was the best book I have ever read :applause:

Just finished latest book in the Dresden Files. Thinking of rereading "Ready Player One" for a third time, or "Second Shift" in the Wool universe.

Last edited by a moderator:
How was the L.A. Noire book, Mak? I've never been a fan of Video Game books aside from Knaak and Golden's Warcraft books, but I am intrigued by it.

As more, I wrapped up Neal Stephenson's "Diamond Age, Or a Young Girl's Illustrated Primer." It's right up there with Hyperion, Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and Neuromancer as some of the best character-driver Science Fiction. Even better than Snow Crash, and that was amazing as well.

Probably going to start to start in on Wolfheart by Richard A. Knaak now for some fluff reading to contrast the insane amount of Rhetoric I have to read for school coming up this week.

Now that the Wheel of Time series is complete can anyone who's read it give me their opinion of the series? I'm trying to decide if I should pick it up.

[quote name='GhostShark']How was the L.A. Noire book, Mak? I've never been a fan of Video Game books aside from Knaak and Golden's Warcraft books, but I am intrigued by it.
[/QUOTE]

Well worth the 99 cents. All the stories in it though short are good. I'd definitely recommend it.

Chandler is great. I've read everything by him. (except that one posthumous novel and some of the short stories).

In fact, usually anything published by Black Lizard is guaranteed to be some good noir/mystery fiction.

Started (and finished 3 days later)

Nocturne by Ed McBain
41GTVNWTHTL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

First thing I've read by him. It's pretty generic but still moves at a good pace and the characters aren't weighted down with tacked on drama and back story. Cops are straight out of Law and Order.

Bitterwood by James Maxey

41%2BpP3GnonL._SL160_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-dp,TopRight,12,-18_SH30_OU01_AA160_.jpg

It's an interesting concept, where dragons rule and humans are used as slave labor. But the writing is pretty cheesy (and I'm only 100 pages in)
"He raised his head to the sky and thundered in frustration. Bitterwood!!"

The dragons aren't really written like they're giant winged dragons, either. All the writing of them talking and acting like humans has me picturing them as, well, humans.

bread's done
Back