What are you currently reading? Post here!

Thanks Chase and cruchb3rry. I'm about done with the remaining Michael Crichton books and haven't particularly been dying to go back and start the Dragonlance War of Souls trilogy.

I'm close to 100 pages into A Game of Thrones and I'm just not into it yet. I'm not sure if it fits with what I want out of fantasy books. Where are the orcs and ogres? No undead? Anyone have other fantasy series similar to Warcraft and Dragonlance books?

[quote name='deszaras']I'm close to 100 pages into A Game of Thrones and I'm just not into it yet. I'm not sure if it fits with what I want out of fantasy books. Where are the orcs and ogres? No undead? Anyone have other fantasy series similar to Warcraft and Dragonlance books?[/quote]
You know I felt the same way. Game of Thrones is really more like King Arthur rather than warcraft. Its not a bad book though.

[quote name='detectiveconan16']Essential Daredevil vol. 1. Hilarious.[/quote]

Ahhh, back when Marvel had no idea how to write the character, good times. Wait a second...

Reading Micheal Connelly "The Narrows", should of know it would not be as good as "The Poet" but still ok.

The Snowball: Warren Buffett & the Business of Life by Alice Schroeder (and no, it's not about sperm-swapping between mouths, ya pervs)

My sister lent me Twilight after her and my other sister went nuts for it after we saw the movie on Thanksgiving.

I finally started reading it and am 40% through. The movie followed the book pretty well from what I've seen so far. Will read the next 3 books over Winter Break.

I just finished A Clockwork Orange today, then read through Batman: Gothic. Need to figure out what to read next. Probably something for my class next semester.

[quote name='deszaras']I'm close to 100 pages into A Game of Thrones and I'm just not into it yet. I'm not sure if it fits with what I want out of fantasy books. Where are the orcs and ogres? No undead? Anyone have other fantasy series similar to Warcraft and Dragonlance books?[/quote]

That is one reason why I enjoy the Song of Ice and Fire. It is indeed more science fiction than fantasy, although there are subtle fantasy elements (one example would be dragons). ;)

If you're looking for typical fantasy, I recommend the work of Raymond E. Feist. :) He writes well, though his themes aren't my cup of tea.

There are undead, sorcerers, face-dancers (can change their appearance), dragons, etc. If you're not into it by 200 pages, I don't know what to tell you. I absolutely loved the books, and anxiously await the fifth.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I just finished A Clockwork Orange today, then read through Batman: Gothic. Need to figure out what to read next. Probably something for my class next semester.[/quote]

HOW THE HELL did you get through that book!? the language had my brain trying to kill itself from just Trying to read that damn thing. I've given on ever finishing that damn book and rather watch the film. Though I hear the ending is different.

[quote name='joe2187']HOW THE HELL did you get through that book!? the language had my brain trying to kill itself from just Trying to read that damn thing. I've given on ever finishing that damn book and rather watch the film. Though I hear the ending is different.[/quote]

Once you get into the book, the language becomes a non-issue. I ended up reading the slang like I would any other words. The meanings grow to be second nature.

[quote name='joe2187']HOW THE HELL did you get through that book!? the language had my brain trying to kill itself from just Trying to read that damn thing. I've given on ever finishing that damn book and rather watch the film. Though I hear the ending is different.[/quote]

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Once you get into the book, the language becomes a non-issue. I ended up reading the slang like I would any other words. The meanings grow to be second nature.[/quote]

This. He actually does a pretty good job of directing the reader to what the slang terms mean, so after a few times, you get the hang of it. It takes a malencky bit of time, but once you viddy them a couple times it gets easy real horrorshow for you. Maybe you should slooshy yourself reading them aloud? It shouldn't make you too bezoomny.

Also: Yes, the ending is different. There is an additional chapter that was actually unpublished in the US at the time Kubrick read it (he read the US version, obviously).
Burgess says he always intended for Alex's violent actions to be a natural part of youth, and the last chapter shows him growing up

Just started The Poe Shadow by Matthew Pearl...again. I tried to get into it earlier this year but it didn't click with me. Hopefully this time it sticks.

Recently read The Killer Angels (finally) and loved it. I had started on it once or twice in the past but didn't stick with it. It's historical fiction set during the Civil War's Battle of Gettysburg. I'll have to get to Gettysburg in the spring.

Now reading The Big Sky. Starts off with a bang. Another historical fiction type novel set in the frontier west.

I'll probably read the two follow on novels to The Killer Angels written by Shaara's son (Gods and Generals and The Last Full Measure) after The Big Sky.

Had been on a Star Wars kick reading through The New Jedi Order after finishing The Legacy of the Force series, but I guess I got burnt out on them.

[quote name='wubb']Recently read The Killer Angels (finally) and loved it. I had started on it once or twice in the past but didn't stick with it. It's historical fiction set during the Civil War's Battle of Gettysburg. I'll have to get to Gettysburg in the spring.[/quote]

I bought that from Amazon excpecting it to be a trade / mass market edition but it came as paperback. It's 400+ pages of the tiniest print. I really want to read it but I can't handle print that small. :(

[quote name='Maklershed']I bought that from Amazon excpecting it to be a trade / mass market edition but it came as paperback. It's 400+ pages of the tiniest print. I really want to read it but I can't handle print that small. :([/QUOTE]

Get it from the library. :whee: I hear ya on paperbacks with tiny print. Not a lot of fun to read.

And damn, must be small pages for 400+. It's not a short book, but no War & Peace either. :D I grabbed Andersonville from the library just after The Killer Angels but it was so damn massive I wimped out and switched to The Big Sky.

[edit]Well actually I just checked amazon and their hardback version has 368 pages. Guess it just seemed shorter since it was an enjoyable read. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Maklershed']I wish there was a library near me. :cry:

I think the closest one to me (of any substance) is in Hershey.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I remember you've said you don't have a close library before. You gotta move.

I was visiting a buddy a few hours away and the mall there had a library locker system thing where you could have books sent and held for you. You used your library card to unlock the cubby with your books. Petition the mayor to get that installed. :D

Watchmen...I'm 3/4th through and it kinda sucks though. Guess I'm not as pumped for the movie anymore, other than to see that guy who played the pedophile in Little Children. He's perfect for Rorschach.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Libraries are awful, Mak.

Just buy your books.[/quote]

This. I have a compulsion to buy books. I can't stand giving them back.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Watchmen...I'm 3/4th through and it kinda sucks though. Guess I'm not as pumped for the movie anymore, other than to see that guy who played the pedophile in Little Children. He's perfect for Rorschach.[/quote]

:shock:
This is a joke post, right? It's a joke post. You don't really mean that. You couldn't. I mean, it'd defy all forms of logic and reason. As it stands, I'm amazed it hasn't opened a black hole of illogicality.

Oh, and I'm now reading Among Schoolchildren for my American Nonfiction class next semester. So far it's pretty good. It's about a fifth grade classroom in a rather un-posh area.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']

:shock:
This is a joke post, right? It's a joke post. You don't really mean that. You couldn't. I mean, it'd defy all forms of logic and reason. As it stands, I'm amazed it hasn't opened a black hole of illogicality. [/quote]

I may have physically winced when I read his post.

Quite liked The Christmas Sweater. Sure, the writing is a bit rough and the story is a bit uneven but overall I liked the book.

Finally getting to Seeing Redd by Frank Beddor. Its the second book in The Looking Glass Wars

The Sword of Truth series is pretty good, but as is the case with most long fantasy series, the earlier books are better than the later ones.

Re-reading Rakim Told Me: Wax Facts Straight From The Original Sources: The 80's by Brian Coleman. Far and away one the best books on hip hop....just wish it wasn't OOP and a bit pricey, more people need to read it.

My parents bought my Amazon Wishlist for Xmas and I've started with The Devil You Know by Mike Carey.

Felix Castor is a freelance exorcist, and London is his stamping ground. It may seem like a good ghostbuster can charge what he likes and enjoy a hell of a lifestyle--but there's a risk: Sooner or later he's going to take on a spirit that's too strong for him. While trying to back out of this ill-conceived career, Castor accepts a seemingly simple ghost-hunting case at a museum in the shadowy heart of London--just to pay the bills, you understand. But what should have been a perfectly straightforward exorcism is rapidly turning into the Who Can Kill Castor First Show, with demons and ghosts all keen to claim the big prize. That's OK: Castor knows how to deal with the dead. It's the living who piss him off...

I'm really liking it...his writing style seem like a cross between Gaiman's/Pratchett's Good Omens and Charlie Huston's Joe Pitt Casebooks. Good times.

[quote name='Maklershed']So we just log in tomorrow and take the quiz and if we come in first we win a prize? What kind of questions are on this? Literature?[/QUOTE]

you have to play every day. The winner for the month wins the prize

No specific topic that the questions are culled from, its completely random.

Right now? "Soon I Will Be Invincible." Not great literature, but not a bad novel either. :)

Next up, assuming classes don't kick my ass too quickly, is finishing "Night Watch," the Terry Pratchett book I was ~20 pages into before I went to the library.

The Shock Doctrine by Naomi Klein. Was told by a number of people its the most imortant book of the past few years to be published. Especially in light of the global economic meltdown. I'm a couple of chapters through and it seems they were right.

If you like that, Fences and Windows is a good read. No Logo is her best known work, but I really think she hit a home run with her arguments in The Shock Doctrine (particularly the idea of disaster capitalism).

I'm reading Christian Parenti's Lockdown America. Good history, well written discussion of how the US has changed in terms of the entire criminal justice system since the late 1960's. But too much liberal blathering about injustice. I just want the facts, not to have my political values confirmed. Even when I agree with them.

512JMT0Q8KL._SL160_OU01_SS160_.jpg
It's some good stuff

bread's done
Back