What are you currently reading? Post here!

Starting Speaker for the Dead by Card. I read Enders Game years ago and loved it but never gave another of his books a chance for some reason. I got spare time to burn for the next 6 months so I figured it was a good time to catch up

[quote name='Maklershed']Just created a Cheapassgamer Reading Group on Shelfari

Also feel free to add me[/QUOTE]

Heh, I was literally about to create a group. Good thing I checked the thread. I just joined the group.

Also:

Currently Reading Crisis on Infinite Earths by Marv Wolfman. I'm only 70 pages in and I've already spotted two pretty obvious typos.

If you wanted to go ahead and still make one feel free. I can honestly say I'm not good at keeping this type of thing up to date. I just made the group tonight cause I was bored. :lol:

Fahrenheit 451. Never read it in high school and since I have nothing but time on my hands right now I figured it'd be a good time to get to it.

[quote name='jlarlee']You want a different take on Vampires? read Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons. [/QUOTE]

Love that book. One of my all-time faves. Have you read The Terror? That's another good one by Simmons.

Currently on Mass Effect Revelation then moving to book 2 and the 3rd on the 27th, just got done with World War Z: The Oral history of the Zombie Apocalypse by Max Brooks, highly recommended.

Just finished The Brothers Karamazov. Quite liked it. Fantastic characters.

Now I'm almost finished with Voltaire's Candide(hilarious), thereafter I'll move on to Camus's The Plague.

[quote name='csidegamer']Great Book.

Just started Paul is Undead![/QUOTE]

I got about 150 pages left, but they're flying. I'm going to try to finish in the next few days.

I'm going to try and start reading this.

stiff-cover.jpg

[quote name='bmachine']Love that book. One of my all-time faves. Have you read The Terror? That's another good one by Simmons.[/QUOTE]

Yes he did such a good job describing the cold that I was huddled under a blanket on an 80 degree day while reading it. I have read every book of his since my Grandmother introduced him to me with Summer of Night. I have found that in the last ten years or so his books have lost a little bit of their accessibility (at least in the beginning) but at the end they really stick with you.

Finished The Drawing of the Three and on to The Long Ships

612DckPW6YL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It was a little difficult getting into at first but I think I'm starting to fall into the author's cadence. So far its very good and quite different than anything I've read. Also, has an introduction from Chaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabooooooooooooooone! (/simpsons reference)

Kinda off topic , but does know of a book series about young mouse on a quest , and he meets other animals, its a fantasy book that doesn't use magic( i think) and thats all i remember.

^ Brian Jacques "Redwall" series. They're surprisingly good. Seems like kids books but they're pretty violent. The specific book you might be referring to could be Martin The Warrior. The first book is Redwall, Martin the Warrior comes later but it's a prequel. However, Jacques books were not really designed to be read chronologically. It's easiest to read them in published order. Here's at list of both published dates and chronological order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall#Books

I'd love it if he put all his book into some anthologies. Because there's a lot of them and they're average sized books. Would be cool to just have a few epic length hardcovers than a ton of paperbacks.

I highly recommend these books.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']^ Brian Jacques "Redwall" series. They're surprisingly good. Seems like kids books but they're pretty violent. The specific book you might be referring to could be Martin The Warrior. The first book is Redwall, Martin the Warrior comes later but it's a prequel. However, Jacques books were not really designed to be read chronologically. It's easiest to read them in published order. Here's at list of both published dates and chronological order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall#Books

I'd love it if he put all his book into some anthologies. Because there's a lot of them and they're average sized books. Would be cool to just have a few epic length hardcovers than a ton of paperbacks.

I highly recommend these books.[/QUOTE]

Have you read many? I have probably gone through 6 or 7. They are very good, but I find each book to be EXACTLY the same. Exactly. I still have a stack of his that I've collected from garage sales, but I kinda fell out of love with his style.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']^ Brian Jacques "Redwall" series. They're surprisingly good. Seems like kids books but they're pretty violent. The specific book you might be referring to could be Martin The Warrior. The first book is Redwall, Martin the Warrior comes later but it's a prequel. However, Jacques books were not really designed to be read chronologically. It's easiest to read them in published order. Here's at list of both published dates and chronological order: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redwall#Books

I highly recommend these books.[/QUOTE]

Thats the seris thanks.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Have you read many? I have probably gone through 6 or 7. They are very good, but I find each book to be EXACTLY the same. Exactly. I still have a stack of his that I've collected from garage sales, but I kinda fell out of love with his style.[/QUOTE]

I read probably 3/4 of them. Yeah, they do kinda blend together. Some plot methods are repeated, that's definitely true.

The only thing that I didn't like as much was way too much detail about the food the animals ate. Where sometimes I wish they'd just order a pizza just to get back to the action.

[quote name='MusicNoteLess']I'm going to try and start reading this.

stiff-cover.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Interesting and funny.

Reading it in public is a no no as when you start cracking up people will look at the cover/title and think you are insane.

How was Children of Hurin? Does it real like a traditional book or is it likes that lost tales bullshit with scraps of the story?

I finished World War Z last night. Incredible book. I couldn't put it down.

Great choice, Mak. Definitely one of the best sci-fi books I've ever read.

6a00d414219e89685e00d09e7e9833be2b-500pi

Starting this tonight. I can't hold off any longer. The ending of Clash of Kings has me too hyped.

ah remember liking the redwall books probably only read 5 or so of them though.

love dan simmons though so far only read the four hyperion cantos books ,ilium and its sequel, darwin's blade and Worlds Enough & Time. read hyperion when I was waaay too young for it the first time from what I can remember, was still interesting and have reread it probably at least twice since.

Also loved the dune books.

currently most of the way through flashforward by Robert J. Sawyer picked it up at the library to try since I enjoyed the sadly canceled tv show. Its interesting and hurray one name was kept when they made the tv show at least. quite different similar starting premise though and no fbi, also Toronto shows up.

I finally gave in and i'm currently going through A Game Of Thrones on my commute to/from work. I'm so glad I did...i'm about 500 pages in now and i'm LOVING every minute.

I actually just got Hedge Knight and Sworn Sword in the nice matching hardcovers. They're comics, but very faithful to the short stories. It's kinda cool to see how the Fossoways split into Green Apple Fossoways and Red Apple Fossoways. That one disaggreement between cousins would cause a feud that lasted that long, like a medievel Hatfields and McCoys. There's appearances from a lot of ASoIaF's backstory characters, specifically a few Targaryens heirs spoken of a lot in the ASoIaF books.

http://www.amazon.com/Hedge-Knight-...=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279772827&sr=8-5

http://www.amazon.com/Sworn-Sword-H...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1279772827&sr=8-4

[quote name='Maklershed']Finished The Long Ships (great book) and started Dune[/QUOTE]

Dune remains one of my favorite series. Have all of Frank Herbert's Dune books. Read a bunch of his son's, but they're no where near as good as the originals. Brian just doesn't have it.

Started reading Stephen King's Black House a couple days ago. Really annoyed at the God directives. Saying, "We drift back over the valley hither and yon and peek into the house of so and so."

Grated on me a while, but now that the story has picked up, there haven't been much of this crappy technique. Interesting story. Had no idea before going in that it was a sequel to King and Straub's The Talisman, which is good in a pre-Gunslinger-conclusion sort of way.

51KN828KF7L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I finally finished my way through Wizard's First Rule. I had to basically force myself to finish it. I don't see myself finishing the series unless I get really bored (or the TV series for that matter).

I have moved on to this:
400000000000000109481_s4.jpg

Finished The Hobbit the other day, about halfway through Fellowship of the Ring. Enjoying reading a nice, illustrated hardcover version. Before I just had a cheap all three in one paper back.

Will read another book or two before The Two Towers though as I'll be traveling for a couple weeks and will take my Kindle instead of trying to lug these giant hardcovers around.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Dune remains one of my favorite series. Have all of Frank Herbert's Dune books. Read a bunch of his son's, but they're no where near as good as the originals. Brian just doesn't have it.[/QUOTE]
Couldn't agree more. Frank was in a league of his own.

[quote name='Fjordson']Couldn't agree more. Frank was in a league of his own.[/QUOTE]

The first 2 or 3 Dune books were really good. The last ones were just a confusing mess. It's been about 15 years or so since I read them, but that is my recollection of them.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Finished The Hobbit the other day, about halfway through Fellowship of the Ring. Enjoying reading a nice, illustrated hardcover version. Before I just had a cheap all three in one paper back.
[/QUOTE]

That's funny you mention that. I was just thinking of re-reading The Hobbit the other day. Not sure which edition you have, but I have this one:

31bTFkfN9iL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

It's so beautiful, and the illustrations in it are great. I always thought the one of Smaug was a wee bit wussy though. Smaug looks like a dragon that needs to eat a few more dwarves to me.

[quote name='eldergamer']The first 2 or 3 Dune books were really good. The last ones were just a confusing mess. It's been about 15 years or so since I read them, but that is my recollection of them.[/QUOTE]

What's hard to understand in the later books? Paul = sandworm = God. It's all very simple. ;)

im about a 3rd of the way through last book, assassins quest, of the farseer trilogy. its been a pretty good read for the series. each book starts out a little slow, but theyre still good nonetheless.

[quote name='eldergamer']The first 2 or 3 Dune books were really good. The last ones were just a confusing mess. It's been about 15 years or so since I read them, but that is my recollection of them.[/QUOTE]
I thought the first three were the definitely the best as well, but I also enjoyed 4, 5 and 6. I find all of Frank's work infinitely better than the stuff his son wrote.

[quote name='utopianmachine']That's funny you mention that. I was just thinking of re-reading The Hobbit the other day. Not sure which edition you have, but I have this one:

It's so beautiful, and the illustrations in it are great. I always thought the one of Smaug was a wee bit wussy though. Smaug looks like a dragon that needs to eat a few more dwarves to me.
[/QUOTE]

I just have a crappy paper back editions of The Silmarillion and The Hobbit. Need to grab some nice hardcover versions of those eventually.

For Lord of the Rings I have this 3 volume illustrated hardcover set.

http://www.amazon.com/Lord-Rings-J-...=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1279903904&sr=1-4

Finally finished The Stand by Stephen King. It was a good read, but I think I should have gone with the regular edition instead of the uncut one. Just seemed long for the sake of being long. Can't say I loved the ending either, but that is typical for King. Still probably his best work.

Moved onto Salem's Lot now.

[quote name='Pavel6969']Finally finished The Stand by Stephen King. It was a good read, but I think I should have gone with the regular edition instead of the uncut one. Just seemed long for the sake of being long. Can't say I loved the ending either, but that is typical for King. Still probably his best work.

Moved onto Salem's Lot now.[/QUOTE]

The Stand is pretty good. If you like it, I recommend looking into Swan Song by Robert R. McCammon. It's of a similar vein, but I believe it's superior.

Salem's Lot didn't interest me when I read it as a teen.

[quote name='evantrees']ah remember liking the redwall books probably only read 5 or so of them though.

love dan simmons though so far only read the four hyperion cantos books ,ilium and its sequel, darwin's blade and Worlds Enough & Time. read hyperion when I was waaay too young for it the first time from what I can remember, was still interesting and have reread it probably at least twice since.

.[/QUOTE]

I have probably bugged folks in here with how much a fan of Simmons I am. But Darwins Blade is the one book of his I don't recommend. It bugged the crap out of me how the lead character was expertly proficient in everything. There are not enough hours in the day to be that well rounded

bread's done
Back