What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='CaseyRyback']Griftopia by Matt Taibbi. I am about halfway through and the more I read the more pissed off I get. How are none of these people in jail?[/QUOTE]

I love Matt Taibbi's writing for Rolling Stone. I'll have to check this out.

[quote name='dmaul1114']John Adams is a great book. Probably the best biography I've read.[/QUOTE]

I gotta get on that. I really enjoyed 1776. McCullough has a way of presenting history without making it too dry.

[quote name='Maklershed']I gotta get on that. I really enjoyed 1776. McCullough has a way of presenting history without making it too dry.[/QUOTE]

Yep. And John Adams is even better than 1776 IMO. What really helps it is not just McCullough's writing, but that Adams (and his wife), Jefferson and others were great writers and there's lots of excerpts from letters they wrote each other intertwined throughout the text.

After finishing this, I need something lighter. I've got a Terry Pratchet book from the library that will probably go down next.

Been busy but I am currently reading Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Friedrich Nietzsche. Had to read Genealogy of Morals for a class and liked it so I have been reading other works by him. Next is Beyond Good and Evil.

I just picked up a few books from the borders that's closeing near me. American psycho, into the wild, the comunist manifesto, and the first trade of preacher. I started reading into the wild.

Finished 'Let The Right One In'. I know it's cliche to say the book is better than the movie, but in this case, they are almost two different animals. The movie left out more of the book than it put in. I wasn't a huge fan of the film but the book was great.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Finished 'Let The Right One In'. I know it's cliche to say the book is better than the movie, but in this case, they are almost two different animals. The movie left out more of the book than it put in. I wasn't a huge fan of the film but the book was great.[/QUOTE]

Well, there definitely was that one "moment" in the movie that probably made no sense to those that didn't find out what the deal was from someone who read the book.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Well, there definitely was that one "moment" in the movie that probably made no sense to those that didn't find out what the deal was from someone who read the book.[/QUOTE]

Yea definitely, but even a lot of the motivations were so much more fleshed out in the book. When I saw the movie first, I did not at all understand the relationship between Eli and the old man. The book makes it so much more interesting. Not to mention the old man's subplot is practially half the book.

Just finished Jawbreaker.

jawbreaker-715527.jpg

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yea definitely, but even a lot of the motivations were so much more fleshed out in the book. When I saw the movie first, I did not at all understand the relationship between Eli and the old man. The book makes it so much more interesting. Not to mention the old man's subplot is practially half the book.[/QUOTE]

I thought the book was great as well, and I too loved the sub plot.

I also love that Jocke's girlfriend doesn't just get burned alive in a hospital bed, but actually goes out and starts to stalk prey.

I guess I do stand on the other side as far as the movies go. I love both versions of the movie. I like how they used the source material in different ways.

[quote name='CaseyRyback']I thought the book was great as well, and I too loved the sub plot.

I also love that Jocke's girlfriend doesn't just get burned alive in a hospital bed, but actually goes out and starts to stalk prey.

I guess I do stand on the other side as far as the movies go. I love both versions of the movie. I like how they used the source material in different ways.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen the remake. Is it worth watching? I like horror themes but not jump out a scare you horror movies and I felt like the remake was going for that more.

This. Light reading. It seems like 75% of the discworld novels I read are 'city watch' novels. I should finish it tonight at work if it's slow.

after a break from reading to do some television catch up, i started a new book.

Mistborn - Brandon Sanderson

im enjoying it so far, it seems pretty straight forward right now, im expecting a big twist (about 300 pages in) because its a 1500+ page trilogy and things are moving along far too smoothly.

also, has anyone read Elantris by Sanderson? my GF wanted to read a good fantasy stand alone book rather than get sucked into a big series, so i was thinking of picking that up for her. on the same note, any good stand alone recommendations?

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']I haven't seen the remake. Is it worth watching? I like horror themes but not jump out a scare you horror movies and I felt like the remake was going for that more.[/QUOTE]

No it isn't scary at all. Aside from some Americanized horror style special effects it is largely similar in tone to the Sweedish movie.

I don't do horror movies unless they are Evil Dead so I understand where you are coming from. The story is more self contained and it does a really nice job focusing on the relationship between Oscar and Eli.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']after a break from reading to do some television catch up, i started a new book.

also, has anyone read Elantris by Sanderson? my GF wanted to read a good fantasy stand alone book rather than get sucked into a big series, so i was thinking of picking that up for her. on the same note, any good stand alone recommendations?[/QUOTE]

The only Sanderson book that I read was a standalone (for now) and it was really good was uhm... Kingbreaker? Something like that. For a book having a princess with rainbow hair on the cover it's really good.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Yea definitely, but even a lot of the motivations were so much more fleshed out in the book. When I saw the movie first, I did not at all understand the relationship between Eli and the old man. The book makes it so much more interesting. Not to mention the old man's subplot is practially half the book.[/QUOTE]

I might have to break down and read the book. Isn't it translated though? I heard it reads kinda funny due to the translation. Or maybe I'm thinking of Metro 2033.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I might have to break down and read the book. Isn't it translated though? I heard it reads kinda funny due to the translation. Or maybe I'm thinking of Metro 2033.[/QUOTE]

I heard that about Metro also. LTROI is written pretty well. A few sweedish things that I didn't understand, but otherwise a good read. One really funny translation thing was a part where some teens were playing around on a bus and the boys were pretending to fall on the girls to touch them etc and the girls were attempting to 'beat off the boys'.

I finished Mistborn a few days ago and I'm just about done with The Well of Ascension. I should be on The Hero of Ages by this weekend. I'd probably finish Well tonight, but there's a Sharks game on.

Yeah, I usually wait for a whole series as well, but decided to say screw it and start it anyway after all the raving about it in this thread. Figure I can read plot synopses online down the road when books 6 and 7 come out. Series is too long to re-read for me.

I'm closing in on 90% of book 4 and I'm trying to go as slow as possible to savor it. I don't want to be caught up. It's just so damn good.

I just finished Altered Carbon by Richard Morgan. I liked it as sci-fi, didn't like it as hard-boiled fic. It was still a fun read. I'd been meaning to read it for years, the list is ridiculously backed up.

A friend who's a big fantasy nut had been trying to get me into the Wheel of Time books for the longest time (5-6 years), but all of a sudden he shifted his efforts to Ice and Fire over the past year. Between that and the strength of recommendations in this thread, I'm bumping the first of the Ice and Fire books up the list. I'll reserve the next copy available at the library.

Finished Feast for Crows a year ago. Should be fresh enough in my mind. I probably won't read the next book until it comes out in paperback though

I finished this, and it was difficult to read with all the flash-backs, flash-sideways and switches in first person narration mid stride.

Started a Charlie Huston, Joe Pitt book. Had to start with the second book in the series because that's the earliest the library had. It's nice. I like world-weary dark noir, although the 'vampires' seem like they're just thrown in for marketing. The book would have worked just fine without them.

And this is what the ad-bar up top suggests I go visit.

Would anyone like to give a try reading these? So rugged, so masculine. So....cowboy. Take a cowboy home.

[quote name='eldergamer']I finished this, and it was difficult to read with all the flash-backs, flash-sideways and switches in first person narration mid stride.[/QUOTE]
Difficult to read, but still rewarding? Or intentionally obtuse?

[quote name='dothog']Difficult to read, but still rewarding? Or intentionally obtuse?[/QUOTE]

Difficult until the last third of the book where you finally start getting a feel for the world you've just been dropped into.

I ended up staying up late and finishing The Well of Ascension and read the first couple chapters of The Hero of Ages. I didn't really like the way the 2nd book wrapped up. I just wish they had explained a littler more (yes I know I have the last book right there and it will probably be covered soon enough). Still on a whole I'd have to say I am really enjoying the series.

Finished A Clash of Kings and started:

51QZFy56NgL._SL500_AA266_PIkin3,BottomRight,-24,34_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Oddly the 3rd book isn't fully formatted on Kindle like the first two were. Text is fine, but it lacks the chapter tick marks on the progress bar, and doesn't have the new page number feature the first two supported. Oh well, text is formatted fine at least.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reading The Village by Bing West again
512kc61j8zl.jpg

aka - how the Marine Corps could have won in Vietnam if the Army wasn't in charge of the overall campaign.

I got halfway through The Blade Itself but it didn't latch onto me. Does it pick up in the last half? I might give it a second chance.

I heard Joe's newest book is really good, like the previous efforts were just him honing his craft and that he's in a higher tier as a writer now.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']I got halfway through The Blade Itself but it didn't latch onto me. Does it pick up in the last half? I might give it a second chance.

I heard Joe's newest book is really good, like the previous efforts were just him honing his craft and that he's in a higher tier as a writer now.[/QUOTE]

i would definitely say it picks up in the second half. the series as a whole is very satisfying. he wrote a stand alone book that takes place in the same work (Best Served Cold) but is in a different part of the world that isn't talked about much in the trilogy. the stand alone that just came out (The Heroes) is also set in the same world and goes back to the part of the world that the trilogy is on.

i hope somebody buys me The Heroes for my birthday this month...

Just by looking over the new arrivals page at the library's website it seems like 25% of the new books are "female vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter is a cop/PI/something else and is hunted but teams up with a mysterious man who she doesnt know she can trust".

[quote name='eldergamer']Just by looking over the new arrivals page at the library's website it seems like 25% of the new books are "female vampire/werewolf/shapeshifter is a cop/PI/something else and is hunted but teams up with a mysterious man who she doesnt know she can trust".[/QUOTE]

Wasn't that also 50% of the books released in the past year.

Reading The Spirit Level: Why Greater Equality Makes Societies Stronger by Richard Wilkinson and Kate Pickett.

bread's done
Back