What are you currently reading? Post here!

[quote name='Maklershed']Been meaning to get to I Am Legend for awhile now. How was it?

And Brave New World is excellent.[/QUOTE]

I really liked it. Wish it was longer though...

Let me know what you think once you read it and I'll do the same with BNW.

[quote name='jlarlee']This thread has been quiet lately[/QUOTE]

That's because everyone is reading instead of posting. :D

For myself, I just finished the second .hack//AI Buster novel and am now in the process of finishing off World of Warcraft: Stormrage.

[quote name='jlarlee']This thread has been quiet lately[/QUOTE]

I'm going to assume its because everyone is still reading A Dance With Dragons.

I just started on Mostly Harmless by Douglas Adams last night; The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide is easily one of the best books I've ever read so far.
If you haven't read it yet, you should definitely pick it up.

41YOuhKwjML._SL500_AA300_.jpg

[quote name='Maklershed']I'm going to assume its because everyone is still reading A Dance With Dragons.[/QUOTE]

I finally finished it last night. Better than book 4, but still not as good as the first 3. And the book split decision is just a mess since
several of the book 4 POV characters get POV chapters in the latter part of of this book.

I'll post more impressions in the thread for those books.

[quote name='Maklershed']Been meaning to get to I Am Legend for awhile now. How was it?

And Brave New World is excellent.[/QUOTE]

I Am Legend was fantastic. Really hit that "Last Man On Earth" feel really well. Plus the ending was awesome.

Done with A Dance With Dragons. :cry:

So fucking good. I just want to keep reading about that world. Even though I have a ridiculously huge backlog I have half a notion to just start the series over from the beginning.

Currently reading The Burning Tigris by Peter Balakian.
An account of the 1890s massacres of Armenians by the Ottoman sultan Abdul Hamid, and the subsequent genocide of the Armenians during WWI by the constitutional Ottoman government. Obviously very draining reading.

Just finished Monster Hunter Alpha by Larry Corriea and Ghost Story By Jim Butcher. Both were excellent and I can't wait for the next books in both series.

Reading the Gormenghast trilogy. A little bit into the first book, hard to tell what I think. Very well written, but almost all description and no exposition and it's been 100 pages. Anyone have any experience with this series?

I'm breaking up the fantasy/sci-fi genre that I always read with this.

Kinda slow moving so far, and not noir enough for my tastes. I actually get less reading done on vacation than I do during work. :)

Started I Am Legend this morning and I'm about 20% through and I can already tell the book to movie adaptation is similar to The Postman in that they have the general idea but everything else is way different. Just the fact that in the book the vampires are sentient beings is a major difference from the movie in that they're brainless monsters. Then there's the smaller differences that Neville is white, likes classical music, lives in California, and from what I can tell so far doesn't seem to be too intelligent.

[quote name='Maklershed']Started I Am Legend this morning and I'm about 20% through and I can already tell the book to movie adaptation is similar to The Postman in that they have the general idea but everything else is way different. Just the fact that in the book the vampires are sentient beings is a major difference from the movie in that they're brainless monsters. Then there's the smaller differences that Neville is white, likes classical music, lives in California, and from what I can tell so far doesn't seem to be too intelligent.[/QUOTE]
I really liked that one. I just recently started reading some of Matheson's other short stories. Prey was pretty fantastic.

Just finished The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy last night. Definitely a highly recommended book if you haven't read it yet.

[quote name='dmaul1114']In addition to reading the paperback of The World According to Garp I started this to read on the Kindle at the gym.
51s3HTzr4cL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-43,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That artwork is one of my all-time favorite pieces and is enough to draw my attention to the book. How's the book so far?

Only read the first chapter and beginning of the second on the treadmill earlier today. So far it's very interesting.

It's basically talking about how democracy isn't automatically a good thing and how it can lead to evils if there's too much of it and not enough constitutional controls protecting individual rights etc.

Finished I Am Legend. The movie adaptation is so different from the book I'm not even sure why they bother with the license. Anyone see Omega Man? I'm wondering how close that one is. Also, I'm glad to finally know why I Am Legend has that name.

Anywho I'm on to Coal Black Horse

Coal Black Horse by Robert Olmstead

Omega Man is even further from the book.

I thought the alternate ending for I Am Legend was the closest to the book.
The whole realization that HE is now the "monster" of this race was more or less preserved.

[quote name='Maklershed']Done with A Dance With Dragons. :cry:

So fucking good. I just want to keep reading about that world. Even though I have a ridiculously huge backlog I have half a notion to just start the series over from the beginning.[/QUOTE]

Dude, read the Dunk & Egg novellas. There's currently three of them. The first two were even made into graphic novels, not sure if the third has yet. It's about a knight and his squire. They're short, but it's all tied into the same world, takes place quite some time prior to Robert's Rebellion.

They're part of some multi-author anthologies (Legends, Legends II, and Warriors) that you can find at the library easy enough if you don't want to buy them.

I actually e-mailed George like 4-5 years ago asking if he'd collect them when he's finished and he said he planned to do exactly that. But it's not clear how many of them he plans to write. I'm guessing not a whole lot more. They're not really tied together like a cohesive "series", just random adventures.

Was kinda pumped that they mentioned Dunk in the TV series when Bran asked Old Nan to tell him a scary story.

Finished reading A Dance with Dragons, Moneyball and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier Spy. They were all great. Especially, A Dance with Dragons.

Moving on to
200px-OmnivoresDilemma_full.jpg
and
oldmanswar.jpg

I read Old Man's War a month back or so. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

I just finished the sequel (The Ghost Brigades), and liked it, though I was a little disappointed that it didn't have the same sort of sense of humor as the first one did.

Started reading this about 2000 last night. Finished around 2300. Slow night at work.
It's a well written book but a little post-modern. The book is 75% philosophical musings on Time, family, life and 25% actual "narrative".
And you know when you have a footnote in the book explaining the purposes of footnotes you've gone too far down the meta hole.

The Last Lion - Volume 1 - Visions of Glory

A ridiculously detailed biography of Winston Churchill. I've been interested in him for ages and by most accounts, this is the biography to read. Here's the kicker though, there are three volumes (third one isn't published/finished yet) and this one, which covers from 1874-1932 is over a thousand pages. It's great so far, especially the look at the twilight of the British Empire and the environment that it created for Churchill. Did you know his Dad died/went nuts because of syphilis? Awesome.

[quote name='eldergamer']And you know when you have a footnote in the book explaining the purposes of footnotes you've gone too far down the meta hole.[/QUOTE]

Someone hasn't read House of Leaves.

finished A Dance with Dragons maybe a week ago hurray for a couple more arya chapters.
a few chapters into the pickwick papers by charles dickens and cross the stars by david drake but might pick something else off the bookshelf to read instead.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Dude, read the Dunk & Egg novellas. There's currently three of them. The first two were even made into graphic novels, not sure if the third has yet. It's about a knight and his squire. They're short, but it's all tied into the same world, takes place quite some time prior to Robert's Rebellion.

They're part of some multi-author anthologies (Legends, Legends II, and Warriors) that you can find at the library easy enough if you don't want to buy them.

I actually e-mailed George like 4-5 years ago asking if he'd collect them when he's finished and he said he planned to do exactly that. But it's not clear how many of them he plans to write. I'm guessing not a whole lot more. They're not really tied together like a cohesive "series", just random adventures.

Was kinda pumped that they mentioned Dunk in the TV series when Bran asked Old Nan to tell him a scary story.[/QUOTE]

ooo will have to take a look at those sometimes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-reading The Lord of the Rings trilogy (as well as watching the movies again). I'm currently reading The Towers, while I only need to watch Return of the King to finish the movie side.

I also read one chapter of the Bible each night.

[quote name='Maklershed']That's one of my top three favorite post apocalypse books. Right up there with A Canticle for Leibowitz and World Made by Hand.[/QUOTE]

Is the movie worth watching? It doesn't have great reviews.

No! Absolutely not. The book is a million times better than the movie. The movie is so bad its unwatchable. I've tried a few times and I simply can't get to the end.

Read the postman years ago back in Highschool. (I was a weird kid.)

Went to the used bookstore on Saturday. Spent $60. Got about 18 books. Mostly book 2 or 3 of a series that I had already started. Hard to find "new to me" things there sometimes.

Starting the second book of "The Sharing Knife" tonight. I really like Bujold, especially the Vorskogian series. But the first book in the series was way too short on action/tension and focused far too much on romance between the two characters. Who had a bit of an uncomfortable (to me) age differance.

A Canticle for Leibowitz
World Made by Hand
Alas, Babylon
Earth Abides
Lucifer's Hammer
Oryx and Crake / The Year of the Flood
Parable of the Sower / Parable of the Talents

Re-reading Interview with the Vampire. I'm usually not a vampire fan, but the book is just simply amazing. Nothing like that Twilight crap.

[quote name='Bustamante']just finished The Brief Wondrous life of Oscar Wao. Currently reading Life of Pi.[/QUOTE]

What did you think of Oscar Wao?

The way he wrote with no explanation of certain spanish phrases and his long winded footnotes just put me off. Not the book I was expecting either from reading the synopsis.

bread's done
Back