what are your thoughts on tipping

Martinmz

CAGiversary!
ive always wondered why i tip my the person who des my hair short on one side or a waiter that refills my drink once while im sitting at the table. i usually tip 20% but that is a very large amount of money when it 20 dollars a meal. i end up spending for 4 dollars on the tip which means i dont get a dessert. or a hairdresser that spends 10 min. cutting my hair should deserve 5$.

The point im trying to get across is what are your thoughts on tipping

"Why tip someone for a job I'm capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones." --- Dwight Schrute

Just fucking tip and put it to rest. Some people don't deserve tips, but when you don't tip, it just makes you look like a shit head.

[quote name='Martinmz']ive always wondered why i tip my the person who des my hair short on one side or a waiter that refills my drink once while im sitting at the table. i usually tip 20% but that is a very large amount of money when it 20 dollars a meal. i end up spending for 4 dollars on the tip which means i dont get a dessert. or a hairdresser that spends 10 min. cutting my hair should deserve 5$.

The point im trying to get across is what are your thoughts on tipping[/QUOTE]
Next time you should get your own water.

Way to many threads on this already.

But to sum up.

You tip 15-20% for good service. More for outstanding service, less for crappy service.

And 20% of a $20 meal is $4. If that's a "very large amount of money" then your broke ass shouldn't be eating out in the first place.

[quote name='Scorch']I've always wanted to tip a cow.[/QUOTE]

Never done it myself, but my brothers have, and they said it was a hoot. That was back when you wouldn't get arrested for it though. These days you'll get thrown in jail for cruelty to animals or some crap like that.

lol, for those of you who remembered the last thread on tipping, it got pretty long with people arguing. all i know is these people don't get paid s**t and depend on their tips to survive. But don't tip when you have horrible service. (duh)

As a GLOAB (Gucci-Lover-On-A-Budget), and a strong follower of the Jewish religion, I can proudly say that tipping is bad.

[quote name='darkslime']As a GLOAB (Gucci-Lover-On-A-Budget), and a strong follower of the Jewish religion, I can proudly say that tipping is bad.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see you're not perpetuating the stereotype that Jewish are difficult customers in restaurants ;)

And to be on subject: I always turn tool tips off, never need those pesky things.

[quote name='hungryheepo']lol, for those of you who remembered the last thread on tipping, it got pretty long with people arguing. all i know is these people don't get paid s**t and depend on their tips to survive. But don't tip when you have horrible service. (duh)[/QUOTE]

All waiters/waitresses get at least minimum wage. Don't let the sob story fool you. They get something like $2.13/hour, but if what they make in tips doesn't bring their pay to minimum wage, their employer is required by law to compensate up to that amount.

Really, the only thing that bothers me about tipping is that it's percentage based where it should be time based. If order a $6 burger or a $20 steak, the waiter's job is no different, and they don't deserve more money because I like expensive food. However, if I'm there 2 hours as opposed to 45 minutes, then they're doing more work, and should get more of a tip.

[quote name='QiG']Glad to see you're not perpetuating the stereotype that Jewish are difficult customers in restaurants ;)
[/QUOTE]Its true though. You've never ate dinner with my large Jewish family.

[quote name='Martinmz']ive always wondered why i tip my the person who des my hair short on one side or a waiter that refills my drink once while im sitting at the table. i usually tip 20% but that is a very large amount of money when it 20 dollars a meal. i end up spending for 4 dollars on the tip which means i dont get a dessert. or a hairdresser that spends 10 min. cutting my hair should deserve 5$.

The point im trying to get across is what are your thoughts on tipping[/QUOTE]

uggr.jpg

[quote name='DarkNessBear']Ugh, once a month.[/QUOTE]

So, does this mean that CAGs go through a phase of Pre-Tipping Syndrome (PTS), becoming bloated and unnessecarily emotional over addtional compenstation until they get to gush here about it for a few days? There's got to be a medication for that.

I tip 15% if its exceptional service. Otherwise maybe a buck, maybe two, just whatever I feel like pulling out of my wallet. I don't tip the girl who brought me a pair of shoes from the back at foot locker, so why would I treat my waiter any differently?

at regulars I frequently visit that do have good service, I tip.

Call it the "No other bodily fluid in my food please Insurance".

But usually just a dollar... tips get outrageous and frankly it should not be a motivation to perform better.

Instead of talking about Tipping... why not turn it into a thread of the year material and talk about Tipping at Strip clubs?

Most of the time I just tip 20% due to the ease of doing the math in my head.

With a lady of the evening however, I offer an extra 5 to blow it in her face.:booty:

Suggestions for happiness:

* Be nice when tipping. (20% barring bad service.) You'll know what constitutes bad service when you're ready to break something.
* There are some circumstances, like with a good barber or sushi chef, where you're missing out on life in ways you probably can't imagine if you're not tipping the shit out of them.

Generally, tip like you're on the receiving end.

[quote name='diaeresis']Generally, tip like you're on the receiving end.[/QUOTE]

Yep. Basically the golden rule.

If more people lived by it, the world would be a much better place and people would be much less grumpy and cyncial.

[quote name='Macheezmo']All waiters/waitresses get at least minimum wage. Don't let the sob story fool you. They get something like $2.13/hour, but if what they make in tips doesn't bring their pay to minimum wage, their employer is required by law to compensate up to that amount.[/QUOTE]

This is partially true. The wage varies from area to area depending on the cost of living. As a waiter/bartender of at least 10 years now, I'm telling you that we nor our employers are required to make minimum wage. I get paid 4.65 an hour while working. The government assumes that a percentage of the money that goes to the house is going to be cash and therefore consists of untraceable tips.

There is no onus on the employer to make up more in our paycheck. The most that might be made up to us are our tax returns as servers taxes are typically messed up.

Be that as it may, as the cost of living rises ever higher, a 20% tip is now typical with anything lower to be considered an insult.

An insult? Really?

I usually tip 20%, however after reading that I may start tipping lower. Last I checked *my* pay wasn't being increased with cost of living either, so why should my waiter's?

Honestly, every time I hear the sob stories about how "we just don't get paid enough so you have to make up for it by always tipping us XX%" is ridiculous. If you don't want your pay to be determined based on your service/how much some random guy decides then you may want to consider a different job. If you decide to be a waiter/waitress then you need to expect that sort of thing to happen. If you want a higher base pay take it up to your company, not your customers.

By the same token, if you're job doesn't give cost of living raises regularly (or raises period), maybe you should be looking for another job. ;)

[quote name='dmaul1114']By the same token, if you're job doesn't give cost of living raises regularly (or raises period), maybe you should be looking for another job. ;)[/QUOTE]

I feel the same way...if you dont like what your job pays you, dont f'n work there....if you wanna bitch that its the only kind of job that fits to your school schedule etc etc...well...thats your f'n prob....picking a shit job that fits your needs doesnt mean we need to pick up the slack on the money.

Tip based on service. I've tipped nothing before for shitty service. I usually tip $2-3 for a haircut, but if service in general is subpar then tip less or not at all.

[quote name='Will']I feel the same way...if you dont like what your job pays you, dont f'n work there....if you wanna bitch that its the only kind of job that fits to your school schedule etc etc...well...thats your f'n prob....picking a shit job that fits your needs doesnt mean we need to pick up the slack on the money.[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the guy with the non-serving job bitching about tipping, sounds like you're bitching about servers expecting tips. Tip % should go up as cost of living goes up, just like any decent jobs give COLA raises regularly, so I was countering his post.

I'm very much against people who are anti-tipping or cheapskates when it comes to tipping. If you get good service, you tip at least 20% and adjust up or down if the service is outstanding or subpar respectively.

whenever I read topics like this, see the complaining and see people talk about always leaving large tips, I realize my tips are no longer needed and decide to not tip for a few months.

I don't like tipping. I'll do it, but I don't like it.

Case in point:
I ate at a really nice restaurant. Service was insanely good. I didn't really expect it, but it's just how it is. However, if the service was not at this level, the server would be fired. It would not be acceptable for a restaurant of that stature to retain a server that didn't always give above-and-beyond service.

I ate at Chili's. The service was decent, nothing to write home about.

Do I tip the first person more because they were doing their job, but service was outstanding? Or do I give them equal tip because they were doing their job, no more? Why do I have to reward anyone? Why can't it be the responsibility of the restaurant to pay them everything they need?

That's one thing I liked about Japan. I walked into a restaurant and I paid exactly what was on the receipt; meal and tax, no more of these funny tipping games.

I have the same basic expectations for service be it a 5* restaurant or a crappy chain place like Chili's. The server should be polite and punctual (check in enough). Do that, and they get 20% either place. If I feel they went above and beyond and tip more. If they do less, I tip less.

Of course, I don't eat a crappy chain restaurants unless I get drug by a friend, or am hitting a sports bar to watch a game etc. Just no reason to living in a city. Plenty of great local joints in all food types and price ranges to go for crappy food and service at chain joints.

[quote name='dmaul1114']I have the same basic expectations for service be it a 5* restaurant or a crappy chain place like Chili's. The server should be polite and punctual (check in enough). Do that, and they get 20% either place.[/QUOTE]
what i mean is that the service is good at the nice restaurant because they HAVE to be.

whereas the chain one, they have a choice.

and something about that doesn't seem right, if i pay them the same.

bread's done
Back