What Are Your Top 5 Most Addicting Games?

AlbinoNinja

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
What are the 5 games that you will play in an eight hour sitting, only to fall asleep thinking of them?

5. Dynasty Warriors 3 (PS2) - One of my favorite games for the system, just because there's so much to unlock, but nothing seems overly daunting. If I couldn't unlock a new item, I would just call up my friend, we'd play for a while and level up our characters of choice, and by the end of the night, it would be a cakewalk.
A lot of people called the game repetitive, but I never got tired of hearing those Chinese peasants die.

4. Pokemon Blue Version (GB) - I was a kid who grew up in the nineties, so this is a given. You'd play through everything, try to be the best on the playground, buy the merchandise for some reason, and eventually become a pokemon master. I remember having someone delete my game, only to happily replay from the beginning. By silver, though, the magic wore off.
Also, it was the first game I clocked more than 100 hours into.

3. Civilization 3 (PC) - I got this game and the first expansion pack for $10 at the Target Clearance section, and easily got more entertainment out of it than most games I spend $50 on. The basic mechanics are just perfect, especially diplomacy, and the end result of a successful war/strategy is one of the best rushes I've ever gotten out of a strategy game. The only thing that pried me away was Civ 4, which I borrowed. The game ran like shit on my computer though, so I didn't want to buy it when I returned it. Still, I couldn't go back to Civ 3 after the sequel.

2. Morrowind (PC) - It wasn't necessarily the gameplay that made this game amazing, it was the modding and console commands. I liked how the main character actually had an impact on the world, and every mod could revolutionize the game. Then, I discovered Vampire Embrace, one of the most amazing mods for the games. Just when I thought I was done with the game, I found something that completely revolutionized it.
Fun Fact: Despite spending months exploring morrowind, I never actually finished the main game.

1. Timesplitters 2 (PS2) - Without counting multiplayer, this game would easily move down 3 spots. With it, its one of the greatest experiences my friends and I have had this generation. Like dynasty warriors, it has a crap load of unlockables, but nothing ever seems out of reach. Unlike DW, everything is centered on skill, not grinding. Still, when you can't finish that mission, nothing is better than playing an arcade match against a bunch of bears

Honorable Mentions:
World of Warcraft: I'd put it on the list, but luckily I quit before it engulfed me

Warcraft III: I played it quite a bit, but was never good enough to play online/do cool stuff. Plus, I felt like some mechanics were broken.

Heroes of Might and Magic III: I just downloaded bought this game legally, and it was the reason I wrote this thread. As addicting as the game is, especially for something 8 years old, I had to give Civilization a spot over it.

Lets see, I don't go to sleep thinking about them.... but here are some games I have put a shit load of time into and love:

NGS/NGB
DMC3
MGS3
FF7
Blood Omen

Not in any order, just 5 good ones for me.

Paper Mario: TTYD (went 14 hours straight with this one several times).
Any Pokemon game.
FF Tactics.
FFIX.
Kingdom Hearts.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned it yet.. Diablo, Diablo II + Expansion. So addicting it's scary.

Halo 2

Geometry Wars

Tony Hawk Pro Skater (N64).

Oh, and this really fun / hard maze game.

Guitar Hero
Animal Crossing: WW
Halo 2
Lumines
Diablo II: LoD (thanks for reminding me swift, I still play it, bought it on launch day)

I never get the chance for an eight hour sitting with any game anymore; in fact even two hour gaming sessions are exceedingly rare for me. Comes with the territory when you're a Dad. So I think of "addicting" games as the ones that keep drawing me back to play them again, long after I've finished them and put them (and sometimes their systems) away, supposedly for good. By that definition, five that have hooked me:

Worms Armageddon (PC)
Soul Calibur (DC)
GTA: Vice City (PS2)
Toejam & Earl (GEN)
Downhill Domination (PS2)

Halo 2
Gears of War
Pokemonz on Gameboy when I was also a kid in the 90's
Call of Duty 2
Goldeneye/Mario Kart 64/Griffey Jr. Slugfest

CS 1.6 (used to play a few hours a day easily)
Warcraft 3: Frozen Trhone (few hours a day easily also)
Tekken series.
Tony Hawk series (before underground)
That's basically it. I say series because I play the newest ones of the games until another comes out.

1.) Final Fantasy Tactics (PSone)
2.) Zelda: Ocarina of Time
3.) Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
4.) Final Fantasy IX
5.) Anything with 'Mario' in the title

1.) Halo 2
2.) Pokemon Blue
3.) Gears of War
4.) The ElderScrolls IV: Oblivion
5.) Goldeneye or WCW vs. nWo: Revenge

As of late, I've been fairly addicted to ShadowRun for the 360.

Last game I was addicted to was Gears of war online, before that it was Halo 2 online, and before that it was socom 2 online.

Geometry Wars
Ouendan / Elite Beat Agents
Resident Evil 4
Tetris
Guitar Hero

Honorable Mention:
Pac-Man C.E.
Mario 3
Phoenix Wright

1. World of Warcradt
2. super stardust hd
3. geometrey wars
4. lumines
5. mario kart ds

those are the games i play frequently for a short period of time because i need my fix.

[quote name='Swift900']I'm suprised no one has mentioned it yet.. Diablo, Diablo II + Expansion. So addicting it's scary.
[/quote]

i stay away from that one for fear of the addiction

for me it's Heroes of Might and Magic III. i could play that game for hours easily. and then i would hate myself afterwards.

also Starcraft and Morrowind

FFTactics outshines all other games in addiction terms for me it's not even worth mentioning any others. The only games remotely close are Disgaea and Civ 3.

Halo 2
GTA
Guitar Hero
Perfect Dark 64
Super Smash Bros. or Socom 2

When socom 2 was new I pulled more overnight game sessions than I rather count

Guitar Hero 2
Halo 2 and Halo 1(I played haloone online for hours on end, even more than halo 2)
Diablo 2
Grand Theft Auto Whatever
Morrwind and Oblivion

This is pretty hard to say, but I'll say:

1. PaRappa The Rapper
2. DDR
3. Super Stardust HD
4. Ape Escape series (I can catch monkey's all day)
5. Hot Shots Golf series

Honorable mentions:
6. Bombastic/XI Go
7. Bomberman Multi-player
8. Dynasty/Samurai Warriors
9. Gradius series
10. PQ: Practical Intelligence series

Kinda hard to narrow it to 5 overall.. so I picked time periods..

Addicting games for the moment:
gh series
karaoke revolution series
ddr/stepmania series
puzzle fighter
amplitude

For all times..Hmm..
mmorpgs (beta ones and other ones..)
mario games on the 64
sf2/puzzle fighter
pokemon games on the 64/gb
gh? i've been daydreaming, doing air guitars in my car, dreaming it, craving it, etc . haven't had that for sometime... I should really get to playing a real guitar more often...

At one point.
goldeneye.. when my cousins/friends come over
mario party 1.. for some reason i could keep on playing 50 turns..
tetris of all sorts (tetrifast, tetris, disney tetris)
tony hawk 3 (designing the parks... was just crazy)
LoZ: OoT.. i really disliked poes and zombies though...

1. Sid Meier's Alpha Century (It was so addicting that I had to completely give up RTS games altogther- Large periods of time would dissapear)
2. Tetris
3. Max Payne
4. Diablo (first one)
5. Jade Empire

1. Diablo 2
I've uninstalled and reinstalled this game so many times. Its so damn good, and the loot system constantly makes you want to play more.

2. Guild Wars
An excellent game that has so many side things to do once you've finished, and its always challenging enough to keep me interested. I've logged over 2000 hours on this game, and I've finally done everything I want to do in it.

3. Maple Story
The classic side scrolling action combined with cutesy graphics and lots and lots of leveling to do makes it a great game to play inbetween your other major stuff.

4. Albatross18
A fantastic free golf online rpg. Tons of fun if you like hotshots style golf with ridiculous special moves (ie. the ball spinning forward a couple extra yards after it has already come to a complete stop).

5. Might and Magic 6
This game was another amazing one. The ability to switch to real time or turn based combat was awesome, and the game was extremely non-linear.

I have a bad case of the "just one more level/run/item."

Guitar Heros 1 and 2
Tony Hawk 3
SSX Tricky
Mario Kart 64
Halo 1 and Halo 2
Street Fighter 2
Legend of Zelda: A link to the Past

I don't get to have any marathon gaming sessions any more.
For me it's about games that I -have- to get 100% in.

Those are..
SMT Nocturne
Ape Escape
uhm. Dragon Quest VIII is starting to do that for me now that I have a guide
Atelier Iris

of all time:

1. Halo 2 - i think i spent the most time i've ever spent with any game playing this game online
2. Pokemon Blue - back in the day, me and my cousins would always play these pokemon games
3. Mario Kart 64 - me and my cousins would always play this
4. Mario Tennis 64 - me and my cousins would play this all the time, but less than Mkart
5. NBA Street Vol. 2 - me and my friends and cousins would always play this..recently we started replaying it again b/c of it's timeless fun

Tetris - I had dreams about this game.
FF VII - Had to max out all my characters.
FF X - I've put more time on this one than any other in my life.
MGS 2 - Hated playing as Raiden but it was still a great game.
Super Mario Bros 3

Tetris - I had dreams about this game.
FF VII - Had to max out all my characters.
FF X - I've put more time on this one than any other in my life.
MGS 2 - Hated playing as Raiden but it was still a great game.
Super Mario Bros 3

1) Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (Dreamcast)
2) Capcom Vs. SNK 2 (PS2)
3) Guitar Hero I/II (PS2)
4) Mario Kart DS (NDS)
5) Pokemon Puzzle League (N64)

I always think of addicting games as those ones where you know you should be going to sleep and you say "Alright, one last round and then I need to get to sleep" and then 3 hours later, you're saying the exact same thing.... So most of mine are "round/session" based games:

Halo 2 on XBL
Super Smash Bros
Amplitude (more this than the guitar hero games, because my hands start to hurt after playing gh for awhile)
Any Burnout game
Starcraft

Halo 2
Halo
Age of Empires 2 (could never get into AoE3)
Sim City series (mainly 2k, but quite a bit of 3000 and 4 as well)
And definitely Goldeneye for the N64 back in the day...

Can't narrow it down to five:

Tetris
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
StarCraft
Quake III: Team Arena
Counter Strike
DDR (so many quarters)
Internet-based Flash Games

And Pokemon, as you mentioned, I did spend a great deal of time on, though never to the extent most of my peers did.

bread's done
Back