What audio outputs does the Wii support?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chacrana

CAGiversary!
Feedback
50 (100%)
I'm getting my HT stuff pretty soon so I obviously want to get surround sound out of the Wii. However, I don't see anywhere to plug in an optical or coaxial cable. Am I missing something, or can the Wii only output stereo? Also, do games actually have 5.1 sound in them, or do I need to rely on my receiver to upmix them to 5.1?

The Wii has Dolby Pro Logic II audio as its max output.

So just the white and red audio cables, but it can do 5.1 with DPL2.

[quote name='Robobandit']Best the Wii can do is ProLogic II, so yeah, it only outputs in Stereo[/QUOTE]
No, it outputs surround, through the two RCA audio cables.

It puts out a stereo matrix, which is be decoded to surround if you have a receiver capable of DPLII.

It's not as good as the real thing though because the receiver basically has to guess what sound goes where. So, the front left/right are and center work fine but the rears can be a bit iffy at times. It depends on the quality of your receiver too, better receiver = better decoding of the matrix (which is pretty rational).

The only way to hook it up is via red/white RCA connectors.

I've just got a ProLogic deocer in my receiver and have been fiarly impressed with how it handles the rear audio. Granted, it's not 360 DD 5.1-esque, but it's certainly better than nothing.

That's so bootleg, but better than nothing. My receiver should be able to handle it without any problem. Thanks for the responses.

Prologic IIx works well too.

But really, who cares! Wow...the ding of picking up the coin swooshed around me in the room. I have super powers now. I am the coolest geek ever.

[quote name='mastarecoil']Prologic IIx works well too.

But really, who cares! Wow...the ding of picking up the coin swooshed around me in the room. I have super powers now. I am the coolest geek ever.[/quote]Surround sound can have its moments. Playing Burnout Revenge on the 360 with 5.1 is pretty neat.

[quote name='Chacrana']That's so bootleg, but better than nothing.[/QUOTE]
Well, it's how surround sound has been handled by audio equipment for years, so....yeah, can't be all that bad.

[quote name='mastarecoil']Prologic IIx works well too.

But really, who cares! Wow...the ding of picking up the coin swooshed around me in the room. I have super powers now. I am the coolest geek ever.[/QUOTE]

Actually, it can be pretty damn amazing... saying you can hear a 'ding' when you pick up a coin is one thing but that's not all you hear. Surround sound gives you a better sense of atmosphere in games.

Think of it this way, in real life, what if you only heard what was coming from the front left and front right of your ears and not what's going on around you?

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']Well, it's how surround sound has been handled by audio equipment for years, so....yeah, can't be all that bad.[/quote]

Not since the DVD era. So what, 10 years or so? No, longer actually.

ProLogic II is OK.
Just wish more games used it instead of plain stereo!

[quote name='dallow']Not since the DVD era. So what, 10 years or so? No, longer actually.[/quote]
I don't understand wtf you just said. :/

[quote name='Vinny']Actually, it can be pretty damn amazing... saying you can hear a 'ding' when you pick up a coin is one thing but that's not all you hear. Surround sound gives you a better sense of atmosphere in games.

Think of it this way, in real life, what if you only heard what was coming from the front left and front right of your ears and not what's going on around you?[/quote]

Think of it this way...this isnt real life. Not at all. Its a video game.

[quote name='rodeojones903']Just look what the GC has in it and thats is your answer. *zing*[/quote]zing indeed! And yet, as far as I understand, as far as audio goes, exactly the truth as well.

Good show, Mr. Jones. Good show.

[quote name='mastarecoil']Think of it this way...this isnt real life. Not at all. Its a video game.[/quote]

Think of it this way... next gen systems should support digital audio output.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']I don't understand wtf you just said. :/[/quote]

You said PLII is how audio equipment has been handling surround for years, I said for the last ten years the standard has been Dolby Digital 5.1.

Yeah, PLII is such a legacy standard, should have been left behind.

[quote name='mastarecoil']Think of it this way...this isnt real life. Not at all. Its a video game.[/QUOTE]

I was just saying it as an example... I didn't mean tot say it was real life but that the better the gaming environment (what we see and hear), the better the experience.

[quote name='Vinny']I was just saying it as an example... I didn't mean tot say it was real life but that the better the gaming environment (what we see and hear), the better the experience.[/quote]

I'd say it helps the gaming experience a lot more than having an HDTV.

[quote name='dallow']I'd say it helps the gaming experience a lot more than having an HDTV.[/quote]I would agree. The problem is that an HDTV can be plunked down anywhere and seen, while you need a special arrangement of speakers to get the affect from 5.1. In a lot of settings (dorms, etc.) putting those speakers the proper way just isn't a possibility.

I'm finally in a place this year where they're mostly setup properly and it's great. I anxiously await owning my own home so I can really get things properly set.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back