What car should I get?

MrFriday18

CAGiversary!
Wondering, I turn 17 in April and I am debatting between to cars to get. I've been saving money to get a car ever sinse I was little and the time will come soon. I intrested in buying either a Mustang GT 1998 or later or a Pontiac Firebird TransAm 1996 or later. Wondering if anyone on the boards has any feedback on these cars who has own one or has nown someone who has had either car. I am most intrested on how they handle in rain as well as snow because I live in Jersey. I now any rear wheel drive handles like shit in bad weather, but how bad do they really? Thanks

i got a 98 Mustang coupe for sale - 70,000 miles well maitained - $5,000 It handles like shit in the snow. But traffic sucks balls when it snows here (I'm from Jersey too) so it's not too bad cause everyone moves slow. Real problem with the rear wheel drive is when there's a heavy snow and you're digging out of your spot. If you got good rubber and toss 3- 50 lb sandbags in the trunk like i do - you should be fine. Never have any trouble with rain though, like I said the real key is good rubber

Cool thanks for the info, Where in Jersey do you live, I'm in Mahwah. Also,is your Mustang a GT or LX(6 cylinder)?

My Mustang is shit in the snow. Of course, I have "ultra high performance" tires, not all-season. And I didn't get any sand last year. :lol:

If you're going for one or the other, I'd say the Mustang is your best bet. I had a friend with a FireBird, and despite the thing being an absolute piece of crap, it handled extremely poorly in adverse weather. However, if you're looking for rain/snow driveability an AWD car is probably your best bet (maybe a late 90s WRX?)

[quote name='ex0']However, if you're looking for rain/snow driveability an AWD car is probably your best bet (maybe a late 90s WRX?)[/QUOTE]

Or a 95-99 Eclipse GSX/Eagle Talon TSI. Inexpensive, turbocharged, AWD and highly recommended.

The WRX did not come to the states until 02. So there is no late-90s WRX. 95-99 Eclipses are hardly inepxensive. They're still inflated in price from FnF. At least the GS-T/X versions are.

Mustangs are shit piles. Unless you baby it with an insane amount of care, or don't drive it, it's going to fall apart on you. Quality control of Ford cars has fallen dramatically.

Trans Ams are so-so, but seems like a car that you're going to crash (statistically speaking). On top of which, most of the people I've known who owned Mustangs, Trans Ams and Camaros ended up crashing them.

That being said, look at a fuel efficient and economical car to drive and get used to. You need to learn to drive before you can drive dangerously. As much as you think you know how to drive, trust me, you don't know.

I have had a 96 t-bird (bout the same as a stand mechanicly), and a 96 camaro (both w/ V-6) and I can say the camaro was much more powerfull, and I enjoyed it much more. As for traction in the snow, not very good, they have poor front to rear weight ratio so they have a tendency to lose traction. the guy who posted above who mentioned the eclipse/talon w/ turbo and awd are great cars, have near the same performance. You can also get a mitsubishi 3000gt vr4 which is awd, twin turbo and pushes over 300 hp, but getting it fixed is very expensive. And if you get any sports car, try to find one not suped up or pushed too hard, because you may be buying someone elses problems. And don't jump on the first bad ass ride you see, because if your patient you will get exactly what you are looking for. I was in your situation earlier this year, I had a kid 4 yrs ago and had to forfeit the sports car for an suv, well finanicially i am doing better now so I have been looking for another car. As I am a nissan z fanatic I was searching for a 91-96 non turbo, Well one day flipping thru the local paper I saw a 87 300zx for $800 (now where I live in TX they are not very common, so i was glad to see it). I then called the guy.....well long story short i talked him down to $550, and it is in good shape and have had offers up to $2500 for it (and of course i kept it). so i sacrificed the exact body style for and awsome car that gives me the same fun and pleasure for about $5500 less than i was going to spend (which will go for a higher performance engine in a year or so, and re do the suspension as well), so good luck, and the search is half the fun!

A 96 V6 Camaro is utter crap. For that matter, any V6 Camaro is crap. Same goes for V6 Firebirds (which are exactly the same car as the Camaro). If you have to get an F-Body, at least make it V8.

Get yourself a FWD if you're gonna be dealing with snow if you can't get a hold of a 4WD. You'll probably save your parents on the insurance, too if you don't go with something "sporty".

[quote name='SteveMcQ']Get yourself a FWD if you're gonna be dealing with snow if you can't get a hold of a 4WD. You'll probably save your parents on the insurance, too if you don't go with something "sporty".[/QUOTE]

Good point. Someone who is 17 + sports car = a good $200-$400 more per 6 month period on insurance. When I was 18 and had my first Civic, I was paying around $600 per 6 month period. Expect to pay near $900-$1000 if you have something sporty.

i have a mustang and i love it, although it is falling apart... you do not need a v8, being 17 you mine as well kill yourself if you get one... im 23 and i still dont need a v8

i say neither, you should try getting a practical car, one that you can beat the shit out of and it still runs well. I'd say get a civic or something along those lines. Of course if you dont want to be practical then go with the mustang

go with the mustang, as long as you put some sandbags in the back when it snows you'll be fine. Rear-wheel isnt much different imo its just something you need to get used to.

[quote name='capitalist_mao']Good point. Someone who is 17 + sports car = a good $200-$400 more per 6 month period on insurance. When I was 18 and had my first Civic, I was paying around $600 per 6 month period. Expect to pay near $900-$1000 if you have something sporty.[/QUOTE]

This is totally dependent on your parents insurance and your location. When I bought my first car, living In the middle of nowhere (read:bumblefuck), I was already 20 years old with 4 years of driving experience and a clean driving record. Insurance for me, for my own policy (bank required it be in my name), with a defensive driving discount and the highest deducatables i could take was $900+ for 6 months. Mind you, this wasn't a 2 door sports car either, it was an altima, much in the same class as Mao's Civic. When I later turned around and bought a 1993 BMW 325is at the age of 23 (still with a clean record), my insurance jacked through the roof becoming $1300+ for a mere 6 months. (Between insurance and bad performance in the snow, even with sandbags in the trunk... with all weather radials instead of snow tires, that car was very short-lived. I drove it for a little over a year before I used it as trade in for my current wheels.)

If you want some friendly advice, I'd say to get together with your 'rents and have them call the company to see how much adding the car of your choice would be. Realistically, this is a good idea before you make any vehicular purchase -- I almost bought myself a WRX until I check on the insurance and found that there was no way I could afford it with the payments. :whistle2:s

[quote name='onetrackmind']go with the mustang, as long as you put some sandbags in the back when it snows you'll be fine. Rear-wheel isnt much different imo its just something you need to get used to.[/QUOTE]

It wasn't that bad most of the time, but with RWD, it's much easier to "lose" the backend while in slippery conditions, so make sure you're comfortable with correcting oversteer/fishtailing. Also, even with sandbags, unless you put some insane amount in the back, going up steep hills, or down them for that matter, is no cakewalk.

[quote name='onetrackmind']go with the mustang, as long as you put some sandbags in the back when it snows you'll be fine. Rear-wheel isnt much different imo its just something you need to get used to.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. I drove a Crown Vic with a V8 and RWD for 6 years in CT and never had a problem in the snow. It's all about your driving skills, not the car.

bread's done
Back