What classic games are at the top of your to-do list??

I wouldn't waste my time on Xenogears. It's long, boring, repetitive and beyond grind fest.

After you play Donkey Kong Country and Donkey Kong Country 2, Donkey Kong Country 3 is repetitive, boring, and more of the same old thing.

I agree with most of the other choices in this thread. Super Metroid and Super Castlevania especially.

Anyone else find SMB3 without the flutes and continue/save from the GBA version extremely difficult?

My list:

1. TMNT NES
2. Star Tropics
3. Capcom Disney Games NES
4. Dracula's Curse NES
5. More NES Games
6. Quackshot

[quote name='b3b0p']
My list:

1. TMNT NES
2. Star Tropics
3. Capcom Disney Games NES
4. Dracula's Curse NES
5. More NES Games
6. Quackshot[/QUOTE]

Quick warning, you are NEVER going to get through TMNT on the NES. The first TMNT game for the NES is balls-out hard. Your best bet for finishing that game is to play it on an emulator with save states. It's in the same league as the Ninja Gaiden games.

I just made it through on Breath of Fire for SNES. Man, that felt good. As for the classics I'd like to get through...

Super Metroid, Final Fantasy 3 (6), Secret of Mana, and Mega Man 3.
If you haven't played FF6 or Secret of Mana yet I highly recommend dropping whatever you're playing now and jumping straight into either of those. Those 2 are literally my favorite games of all time...and not sure which i like more out of the 2. They are both soooooo good.

I still need to play Castlevania: Symphony of the Night 8-[
Trying to finish up 999 right now and thinking about starting SotN on psp tomorrow. Played about an hr of it in the past and enjoyed it, but just never made it back around to it. But who knows, I'll probably get sidetracked by some other game on my ever increasing pile of shame. I'm ready for next gen to get here bc I'm going to consider it a clean slate on all my unplayed games from this gen :)

Quick warning, you are NEVER going to get through TMNT on the NES. The first TMNT game for the NES is balls-out hard. Your best bet for finishing that game is to play it on an emulator with save states. It's in the same league as the Ninja Gaiden games.
My best friend did it the day we convinced my mom to buy it for me. It's possible. He did the same for Ghosts and Goblins.

I finally got my game room set up so now I need to play through some games I've always wanted to play.  I think my first few games are going to be:

Jet Force Gemini.  I picked this up a while ago and have never played it, but I constantly hear about how great it is

Majora's Mask.  This is one of the only Zelda games I never played

Startropics 2.  Loved the first one, got this for Christmas last year

Super C.  Played a lot when I was a kid, never finished it

I'll figure out where to go from there

Do PC games count? I have Half-Life (among other old games) in my Steam backlog and have been meaning to play it sometime before the end of the year.

My best friend did it the day we convinced my mom to buy it for me. It's possible. He did the same for Ghosts and Goblins.
Your best friend sounds like a gaming beast. Did he get through Battletoads, too?

Do PC games count? I have Half-Life (among other old games) in my Steam backlog and have been meaning to play it sometime before the end of the year.
Of course PC games count. If you are looking into playing the original Half Life, I would strongly recommend the Black Mesa mod. It is essentially a reconstruction/retelling of the original Half Life using the Source Engine. It's updated graphics make getting into the original Half Life story a bit easier than going with the standard original version. Ideally, I would say try both, but who has the time these days?

I'm playing through Muramasa: Rebirth on the Vita. I had started the Wii version of the game years ago, but didn't get very far into it. The Vita is a great platform fit for this title, and I'm now through the first character's story arc. (around 50% through the game) I'm glad I revisited this one, it is well worth playing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course PC games count. If you are looking into playing the original Half Life, I would strongly recommend the Black Mesa mod. It is essentially a reconstruction/retelling of the original Half Life using the Source Engine. It's updated graphics make getting into the original Half Life story a bit easier than going with the standard original version. Ideally, I would say try both, but who has the time these days?
Thanks for the rec, but my plan is to play through the original version. I played through Dark Forces earlier this year, so I'm sure I'll be just fine with an unmodded Half-Life :)

(That's not to say I might not look into mods later, though; we'll see.)

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back