What conventions do you go to?

indy2029

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
We're all gamers and nerds at heart. Geeks and nerds go to conventions. Which ones do you go to?

I'm hitting up Anime Expo in July, E3 in June, and possibly Erotica LA :p

never. if everyone is a geek/nerd at heart and aware of it, then think about how irrational and stupid some of the things you do are then multiply that by the thousands. why would you ever want to put yourself in such an environment?

None.

I'm probably going to hit up the Makers' Faire in the area next year though. It always looks like there's really neat stuff there.

I go to Wizard World Philly every year since 2004 and it is a great waste of time and something different. Went twice to the VGExpo in Philly(once at the philly convention center and once when it was a part of the home show) Been to a few smaller conventions for transformers and comics also.

if your a fan of the genre you owe it to yourself to go to at least one convention in your lifetime.

[quote name='DarkKenpachi']I go to Wizard World Philly every year since 2004 and it is a great waste of time and something different. Went twice to the VGExpo in Philly(once at the philly convention center and once when it was a part of the home show) Been to a few smaller conventions for transformers and comics also.

if your a fan of the genre you owe it to yourself to go to at least one convention in your lifetime.[/QUOTE]

100% agreed. Why wouldn't you want to go to an event where you surrounded by people interested in the same things you are?

I went to the phillyclassic a couple of years in a row, recently went to the midwest gaming convention and plan to go to gencon in Indy in August.

None. I have a lot of hobbies--movies, music, TV, books, video games (though that's waning), beer, outdoorsy stuff etc., but nothing I'm really obsessed with enough to want to go to a convention.

Guess the closest thing to a convention I've been to would be various beer festivals. And that's to just try samples of a whole bunch of beer for a fairly cheap price.

I typically attend these five every year: Katsucon, Animazement, Otakon, Anime Weekend Atlanta, and AnimeUSA.

I'd love to try and go to Dragon*Con, but my budget usually never allows for it.

[quote name='crystalklear64']never. if everyone is a geek/nerd at heart and aware of it, then think about how irrational and stupid some of the things you do are then multiply that by the thousands. why would you ever want to put yourself in such an environment?[/QUOTE]

Some people are actually sociable.

I usually drop by FanimeCon, but this year I totally forgot about it. I guess I'm getting old and less nerdy. (Or I'm playing too much Team Fortress 2 on the weekends.)

[quote name='Liquid 2']I'm probably going to hit up the Makers' Faire in the area next year though. It always looks like there's really neat stuff there.[/QUOTE]We're checking out the one near us this weekend. It'll be our first time... I hope it's as fun as it looks!

San Diego Comic-Con every year for the past 8 years. My cousin is an artist so he always hooks it up with free passes and that's the only reason I go.

Not much these days and only ones where I'm being paid to be there. Which is great for CES but it mostly means events that hold little interest for me. It does let me travel to new unfamiliar places on somebody else dime, though.

I live in LA County but I'm house & dog sitting in WA right now and won't get back until well after E3 is passed. I can still remember the first comics event I went to mainly because Wendy Pini was doing her Red Sonja chainmail bikini thing with Frank Thorne. I used to do ComiCon back in the 80s & early 90s but although I know some of the organizers I don't think I could stand to go anymore. I've developed a real dislike for crowds and would just as soon watch a movie or TV trailer online.

I had a chance to spend a few hours at ComiCon last year because I was in San Diego on a job for an event that was going into the convention center just as ComiCon was leaving (but was mainly in a hotel down the street) and a friend who was leaving gave us his pass. But I just couldn't get up the enthusiasm and feared I would be overwhelmed with the temptation to go on a spending spree.

The event I was working at, creating a remote access system between their database and locations within the hotel and CC, was a national gathering for people in the business supplies trade. If Dunder Mifflin send employees to a trade event, this is it. After it was done there was massive amounts of leftover donated office supplies that were just being abandoned, so I filled the little empty space space in my car. It could be a very long time before I run out of printer paper. The 2009 event is supposed to be in New Orleans but we haven't gotten word yet on whether we'll be working it.

AnimeNext every year since it started (Helps it used to be 20 minutes away from me).

Otakon every year since....1999 I think. Probably won't be going this year due to a wedding near it that I have to travel for sucking up all my money.

NY Comic Con twice. Probably will go more often if I can get more free tickets. ;)

Would love to go to a Botcon but haven't had the chance yet.

Been to quite a few work related non-nerdly conventions too. At least Government contractors occasionally give away cool free stuff.

I Try to stay away from anime cons because I usually leave disappointed and with less hope for humanity. Though this past year I've helped my friend set up Rock Band at anime cons and it isn't as bad as it originally was for me.

i attended A/X when I was in hs, but stopped becuase of college.

Now that I'm in sd, i like going to comicon :) I admit the crowds are stupid and there are always the great number of attendees that don't know how to shower, but it's fun and doesn't happen all the time. One day a year is usually enough to suffice ^^

None, but I do want to go to anime cons. There is another type of con I would like to go with my gf to but that is a whole another story :lol:.

I'd love to get to a comic convention some time, but I'm hoping to make it to the next Power Morphicon (Power Ranger convention).

Just comic-con, I use to be able to get into E3, but not anymore. Went to a few car shows, but nothing else really. I would like to go to CES someday.

I went to Comic Con every year for awhile (like 99-06 and a few years randomly before), but haven't gone for the past few years and won't this year either b/c its become way too crowded and not enough comes out of it.

I've been to quite a few conventions actually. My wife is a collector and one of the things she absolutely loves to collect is celebrity autographs. I'm sitting in the living room where we have 60 8x10s and four full-size movie posters, all autographed, on display. There are several others throughout our apartment and she has a couple binders full in a cabinet as well since we really don't have anywhere else to put them now.

We've been together for about 10 years and we've gone to a couple Sci-Fi conventions after high school. None were really that big but there were a few stars there so I didn't mind checking them out. They were few and far between and at best we could find one a year.

Now she's discovered that there are 4-5 horror movie conventions that take place in Jersey each year so she's at every one of them snatching up autographs and pictures with stars. They're more or less general conventions under the guise of horror films because a lot of stars who weren't in horror movies show up. I try to get out of going nowadays since I've begun to develop a mild form of agoraphobia or something. She did drag me out to the last one though and I have to admit I had a good time. Met Edward James Olmos who's a really nice guy and James Duvall (Donnie Darko, Independence Day, Gone in 60 Seconds) who's probably one of the nicest and most sociable people I've ever met in my life.

It's interesting to see how people are in real life. Most of the time someone you thought might be a real dick in person is actually really cool. It's when you meet the stars you were hoping were cool and they turn out to be douches is when you get a little disenchanted by the whole thing. On the whole it's a really fun experience if you don't mind the crowds.

Comic-wise I've gone to Wizard World in Philly like three times and the New York Comic Con once. Wizard World is always a good time and last year I got a few comics autographed by Garth Ennis, who might as well be Jesus Christ in my eyes, but New York Comic Con sucked so hard it was damn near unbelievable. I've always wanted to go to Comic Con in San Diego but it's way too popular now to be able to get around in that place.

bread's done
Back