What Current-Gen Consoles Do You Own?

Jesus_S_Preston

CAGiversary!
We were talking about the PS3 in the GGT, and it inspired me to bring out this thread. Really, I'm genuinely curious to see the results.

So, CAGs, what current-gen consoles do you guys have?

This thread also has a poll.

Last edited by a moderator:
Voted! I've got a PS3, 360, PS2, XBox, PC, Gameboy (fat toaster sized), and Gameboy Color.

I'm surprised you didn't conjoin PS3+360 into PS360.

[quote name='Chacrana']Okay, well I voted for "Current gen? fuck that noise." I like when there's an answer I want to vote for![/quote]

It was just for you, Honeysuckle.

Are we suppose to list a complete listing. Ok, here it is

Wii
PS2
Xbox
Gamecube
Playstation
N64
Dreamcast
Saturn
Genesis
SNES
NES
Sega CD
32x
Jaguar
GBC
PSP
NDS (wife owns it, I barely play it since she has it, but it's in the house).

PS3 and Wii. I bought them because I like systems to have a long life expectancy.
And they both broke last week.

[quote name='naes']PS3 and Wii. I bought them because I like systems to have a long life expectancy.
And they both broke last week.
[/quote]

That really sucks. I own all 3. The wii, and 360 has given me problems,but the ps3 hasn't. Since I said that though it will die tomorrow. The wii is my least favorite. Overall my favorite is 360 then ps3 then the wii.

I have a 360 and PS3. Since I've had the PS3 first,I use that as my main console and my 2 cousins have the PS3. Mainly to play online with them too. The 360 will be used for those "360 Exclusives".

My pockets is deep and I wipe with twennys, so I got all three.

I would have to say, outside of watching movies, my PS3 get the least amount of play. Lately, I haven't been gaming that much. MGS4 broke me.

I've got a 360 and Wii. I didn't even actually WANT the Wii but my wife insisted we buy it when we found a GameStop that had 1 left in stock. It usually sits unused as I play my 360 or PC.

i got a wii because it's a nintendo system and you can't go wrong with that.

i can't stand dual analog controllers which was also another reason why i didn't get a ps3/360. gears of war on pc was great [mouse + keyboard setup was great], and it's probably crap on the 360 controller setup.

the wii is very popular with "casuals" [whatever that means] and therefore all the third party companies think this is what we want or what attracts us. so the third party companies keep making rehash of mini games, which is why you have so many of these things in the store.

if it's not the rehash of minigames it's a port of a ps2 game with waggle gimmicks or a rushed psp port with waggle gimmicks. if it's neither one then it's a rushed job to earn the buck.

i don't blame the wii owners on feeling like this because the third parties don't know what their doing. so the wii owners only rely on nintendo. however, i believe i'm fine with the situation as i don't play games hardcore anymore, they seem boring i guess. the last time i played gears of war again on pc was like 1-2 months ago.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']i got a wii because it's a nintendo system and you can't go wrong with that.

i can't stand dual analog controllers which was also another reason why i didn't get a ps3/360. gears of war on pc was great [mouse + keyboard setup was great], and it's probably crap on the 360 controller setup.

the wii is very popular with "casuals" [whatever that means] and therefore all the third party companies think this is what we want or what attracts us. so the third party companies keep making rehash of mini games, which is why you have so many of these things in the store.

if it's not the rehash of minigames it's a port of a ps2 game with waggle gimmicks or a rushed psp port with waggle gimmicks. if it's neither one then it's a rushed job to earn the buck.

i don't blame the wii owners on feeling like this because the third parties don't konw what their doing. so the wii owners only rely on nintendo.[/quote]

Not to derail the thread, but No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki say hi. Also Madworld. I would recommend MLB Power Pros and Resident Evil 4 Wii.

Third party developers were all excited about the Wii and the opportunities it afforded them for future titles... that is, until they realized that their software was simply not selling on the Wii. And their games aren't moving for a reason. Like it or not, Nintendo has been ignoring the hardcore gamer audience in light of a fresher, more casual based audience.

And frankly, Nintendo is doing so well that it doesn't need the hardcore audience anymore, even though they don't want to completely alienate them.

Third party developers are becoming more and more wary of developing for the Wii because of lackluster software sales, even though the hardware sales are through the roof. I get the feeling that it's due to many of their new target audience being content with having Wii Sports and that's it.

[quote name='Kendal']Not to derail the thread, but No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki say hi. Also Madworld. I would recommend MLB Power Pros and Resident Evil 4 Wii.[/quote]

Be that as it may, No More Heroes did not sell well. Zack and Wiki is hardly a hardcore game. I've heard it's okay, but not enough to make me want to own a Wii. The Wii's motion controls are looking more and more to me like a gimmick that is neat at first, but gets boring. Resident Evil 4 is an excellent choice, but again had lackluster sales. I'm hoping Madworld is released as good as it looks.

I own all three. I hate to get into biases here, but here's how it goes for me

Main console = PLAYSTATION 3. Love the hardware, controller (DS3), PSN is free and I have awesome friends on PSN, and Sony has my favorite 1st party games by a long shot. 95% of my multi-platform games go to PS3 regardless. I LOVE the downloads of of PSN.

Secondary console = Xbox 360. Good controller. Has good features, and has some key exclusives by Namco. Microsoft's first party is good, but not my favorite (I'm not really a Rare fan). Games which are mutli-platform with PS2, go to 360. 360 is for strictly exclusives or games that come out way too far ahead of the PS3 version (like Eternal Sonata, although I may switch versions when it comes to PS3). If I had a good job, I'd buy the 360 version of games along with the PS3 version (for CoD4 as an example).

Third console = Wii. I like the Wii Remote, really like Mario Kart Wii, and has some games I like. I'm mixed with Nintendo's first party, where some games I like, some I don't like as much as others.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']i got a wii because it's a nintendo system and you can't go wrong with that. [/quote]

Total disagree. Gamecube says hi. Hell, Wii says hi.

[quote name='Kendal']Not to derail the thread, but No More Heroes and Zack and Wiki say hi. Also Madworld. I would recommend MLB Power Pros and Resident Evil 4 Wii.[/quote]

i was never a huge sports game fan, except for those nba jam games back in the 16bit era. of course racing i do like, but only like those need for speed like racing games or burnout.

resident evil 4 doesn't really count because it's a ported gamecube game to the wii with ps2 features. zack and wiki is alright, i just can't stand having to redo everything when you screw up something [very annoying aspect of the game]. no more heroes i don't know as i haven't played the game yet and don't know if i would want to buy it. madworld is questionable as we haven't had any full scope of the game, so it's still up in the air. the 2008 end season for wii games is very abysmal, but the 2009 season seems very promising as you got conduit, madworld, motion +, mushroom men, and possibly spore and more of course.

[quote name='Jesus_S_Preston']Total disagree. Gamecube says hi. Hell, Wii says hi.[/QUOTE]

The N64 says "hi" loud enough for the whole fucking world to hear.

[quote name='Chacrana']The N64 says "hi" loud enough for the whole fucking world to hear.[/QUOTE]There are people out there who like the N64. :roll: And I thought the Gamecube was an excellent platform.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']And I thought the Gamecube was an excellent platform.[/quote]

You and three other people.

Funny thing is, Japanese developers LIKE Nintendo because they have history. They WANT to develop games for them. But when Nintendo came out with a piece of crap like the Gamecube, it couldn't hold its exclusive rights to a series. It ran into the same problem the PS3 has now, except a generation earlier and less pronounced.

I'm not trying to argue there weren't good games for the Gamecube because there were. But the system itself is a failure. It's another example of Nintendo staying alive by its first party games.

this generation, the ps3 is struggling. john carmack himself says that the ps3 is crap to develop for. capcom also hints this by having a 360 resident evil 5 ready compared to the ps3 and so on.

not only that, ps3 wants to have 360 games with additional stuff other wise don't bother, that was according to john carmack. developers are having to work twice as much to support the ps3 as compared to the 360.

gamecube failed because you paid 100 for a ps2 system. remember it had 3 incentives [ps1, ps2, dvd] and was being sold for 300. dvd player being at least 100 the cheapest and at the time ps1 being sold by electronic stores for 100-130. while you pay 200 for a gamecube system that only plays gamecube games. you don't see it with ps3 because not everyone cares about blu-ray and hd nor does everyone has the finances to support it. back then you didn't need the high equipment to enjoy a dvd, now you need to high equipment to enjoy blu-ray.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']this generation, the ps3 is struggling. [/quote]

There's no denying this statement. It's true. We just have to see the long term effects of the decisions/blunders Sony has made.

But with regard to the Wii, it's unquestionably successful for Nintendo. They're swimming in money. But to many regular gamers and gaming developers other than Nintendo, it provides little more than a few cheap thrills.

I have all three and two gaming PCs.

I guess I play the PS3 the most. I had a period where I went through /four/ Xbox 360s one after another for dvd drive problems, so eventually I got used to playing titles on the PS3.

360 is a close second. I mostly use it for cooperative online gaming with my little brother.

One PC for me and one for The Wife. These, again, would be a close third.

My Wii would be a distant last place contender. I /like/ the Wii. I just don't have much to play on it. In that respect it reminds me of my Gamecube. I don't regret buying it. I just don't plug it in very often.

I'm trying to decrease my consumerism as much as possible, so I am playing PS2 games while selling off old ones.

CAG has really brought me face to face with the problematic mentality of the modern "first world" and while I think buying a game console and a few games to play is reasonable, buying hundreds is a sickness. I bought so many PS2/GC and GBA games "just because".

That said, I will wait until the PS3 is under 200 dollars or a less expensive "WiiS3" comes out.

So fuck that noise.

I have all 3. And all 2 handhelds

Oddly enough I play my Wii the most. Mario Kart Wii Online and Super Mario Galaxy have given me more fun than you can imagine.

[quote name='pochaccoheaven']this generation, the ps3 is struggling. john carmack himself says that the ps3 is crap to develop for. capcom also hints this by having a 360 resident evil 5 ready compared to the ps3 and so on.

not only that, ps3 wants to have 360 games with additional stuff other wise don't bother, that was according to john carmack. developers are having to work twice as much to support the ps3 as compared to the 360.[/quote]That's not really true. John Carmack said PS2 was crap to develop for and look how it turned out (just fine). John Carmack does NOT like ANY console which doesn't have a traditional PC architecture. Gabe Newell said it too, but he's strictly a PC guy. They want to develop on what they are familiar with, and that's what the 360 is. The PS3 architecture is different. The cell can do amazing things, but you have to be willing to invest time to learn it (some devs don't mind, some rather just do a straight PC port, which doesn't work). Look at comments by Criterion about the PS3, they love developing on it, and so does Kojima Productions. Also, Uncharted is the most amazing looking console game currently out (PC isn't being included here since Crysis is the best looking game on any platform) and it's on PS3. Naughty Dog even said they only used 1/3rd of the PS3 power there.

There's an article about how developing on PS3 first can actually be good:
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/ps3-native-dev-makes-for-better-xbox-360-games

PS3 is far from failing when it's the 2nd best selling console worldwide this year and has already the #2 console throughout most of Europe and Japan. It hasn't failed at all (especially if I'm seeing them sell at retailers and even some retailers running out). Failing is being dead last in ALL regions and continuing to be DEAD last in sales every month (look at NPD sales this year), and being behind around 3X to competitor ranked 2nd worldwide. No console has failed this generation regardless. No console failed last generation regardless (well, the Dreamcast kind of did, but that was ONLY because Sega pulled the plug early). IMO, thinking any console failed is short sighted.

Interesting results. So far:

Wii - 37
360 - 36
PS3 - 34

Now, I've got to ask, why radio buttons rather than checkboxes? You could have made the same poll with 4 options if you had used checkboxes and it would have been easier to compute the results.

[quote name='torifile']Interesting results. So far:

Wii - 37
360 - 36
PS3 - 34

Now, I've got to ask, why radio buttons rather than checkboxes? You could have made the same poll with 4 options if you had used checkboxes and it would have been easier to compute the results.[/quote]

I think what you're asking is "Why one-choice with specific options instead of multiple-choice with singular options". If so, I wanted to also see what combinations people had, not just which console was most popular.

360. Had a Wii first but I barely touched it after getting the 360 and didn't really see much I wanted to play after Mario Galaxy so I just beat that and passed the Wii on to my girlfriend's brother and his family who have loved it.

I had all three consoles last gen, but I just don't game enough to need multiple consoles around, I'll never even play the bulk of the 360 games I'd like to.

I would like to add some context to these results.

NPD's research has it that 97% of current cycle console owners own exclusively one console.

2% own 2
1% own all 3.

The mainstream is far from CAG

Of course a gaming site is going to be far different than the general public, but I'm more interested in seeing what the "hardcore" game crowd is doing vs. the general public. The raging sales for casual games is enough for me to disregard the general public's gaming tastes.

I have all 3 + PSP + DS + a PC capable of gaming.

PS3 is my favorite. Best hardware/controller. Love the sony exclusives. Free online rocks, PSN blows away XBLA/WiiWare combined.

360 is a fun system, i play it a lot, i hate the hardware (I am on my 4th 360), the D-Pad on the controller feels like satan himself designed it, and the online is 50/year with a bunch of children yelling how gay everyone is and of course all those wonderful racial slurs. I love me some gears of war tho.

Wii is a disaster when it comes to actual gaming. I dont have people over so multi-player mini games mean nothing to me, and the single player experiences ive played so far (galaxy, TP, MP3) have all been utter dissapointments. In fact, the only thing i really like about my Wii is the fact that is plays GC games, since Pikmin and wario world are a blast. Otherwise, seriously, UTTER GAMING DISASTER. I am SERIOUSLY looking forward to the motion plus tho, that will finally have some fun stuff available i hope.

DS/PSP, i love the PSP way more. DS just feels crappy in my hand, i like the feel of the PSP and the screen is so friggin nice. DS has some innovative stuff, but games like Zelda just wore me out. More traditional, less gimmick please.

Gaming on PC is a disaster, i hate keyboard/mouse for controls, and i like my PC to be my PC, not my gaming system.

Thats my 2 cents.

All 3 consoles and both handhelds.

The 360 was the one I bought first, and have played the most but it's been giving me hardware grief in the last 3 months. I bought a PS3 when MGS4 came out and I'm transitioning most of my future purchases to that. I also bought the Wii in between but I dont use it much, since it's pretty worthless. I love my DS, it's probably my favorite handheld ever.

I own a Wii and 360 the "idiot" combo. The Wii gets very minimal use and has probably been the worst investment for me, but I must admit theres a game here and there that I would have regreted not getting the system for: Mario Galaxy, Smash Brothers, Mario Kart and of course No More Heroes.

I'll be buying a PS3 when It's $200 or less and Blu-Ray movies are $20 MRSP.

Theres no reason for me to buy one right now because theres not enough exclusives, but it doesn't end there. I'm happy with my plain old DVDs and I find myself playing the PS2 just as much as the 360 lately (partly because mine got the RROD, but Persona 3 FES is awesome). My PS2 was the RPG machine much like the PS1 was, and the PS3 has jack shit for RPGS right now to boot. Infact, seems like 360 is getting more RPGs then ever. I prefer the 360 when it comes to Action, FPS, Third Person, etc. but a PS2/RPG system is a must, and luckily the 360 seems to be getting all the RPGs right now.

"...and the online is 50/year with a bunch of children yelling how gay everyone is and of course all those wonderful racial slurs...." blitz6speed

this is one of the reasons why nintendo sort of avoided voice chat because you'll have a bunch of animals screaming and being wild while playing a game or just surfing. it's very offensive for people and such a behavior is unjustified for playing games. i don't know know how the 360 [not sure about ps3 online] people deal with that kind of crap.

I only have a Xbox 360 this generation. I also have these current gen systems:

PS2
Xbox
Gamecube
Dreamcast
PSP
Nintendo DS

bread's done
Back