What do I need to do to get old dos games running on XP?

[quote name='Steve Dave']So I should use every single available program there is?

That doesn't make too much sense.[/QUOTE]
I think what he means by that is there's many means to do what you want, use google, choose one of the ones that comes up, and try it out.

I know what he means.

But what he means is fucking stupid. I already did a google search and there are about 75 pages of results so that really doesn't help.

What I am looking for are some suggestions on good programs to use.

[quote name='Steve Dave']I know what he means.

But what he means is fucking stupid. I already did a google search and there are about 75 pages of results so that really doesn't help.

What I am looking for are some suggestions on good programs to use.[/QUOTE]Touchy.

[quote name='Z-Saber']Touchy.[/QUOTE]
Maybe, but I agree with him. People don't post so that they can be told to go find something on their own. They post to get an answer from forumers. In the time it took the guy to type the google search link, he could have provided a helpful suggestion.

Anyway... I'll have to give dosbox a try. I have the first versions of Dragon's Lair and Space Ace I've been wanting to play for ages. Thank you to the fellow who suggested dosbox.

What games do you want to play? Methods are probably going to vary from game to game, especially if you're talking about 3D shooters and the like. DosBox is alright for some stuff, but their compatibility list wasn't that long last time I checked them out.

You specifically asked "what do I need to do to get old dos games running on XP?". You mentioned nothing of what software you would need to do this. Go to google, type in exactly what you just asked there, click the FIRST LINK.

The first link is an entire site of how to make DOS games work in XP.
http://www.dosgames.com/xphints.php

Was all that really that hard? How can you not understand what I mean? It's the first result back on google, worded exactly as you asked it.

I understand exactly what you meant mtxbass1. That isn't the issue, the isssue is what you meant was stupid.

Seeing as how you were capable of using google you can rest assured that I am also capable of using google and already did a search and it was no help.

As for not asking directly for software that was my fault. I again assumed too much that people would be able to figure out that when someone asks about how to get something to work that they would actually be looking for things that would get whatever they wanted to work working. Again sorry.

So to clarify things for you this is what I am looking for.

I am going to open an old box, then look to see if some old games are in there.

If there are not then I will move to another box, if they are then I will pick which game or games I want to play.

I will then decide which game I want to play first and I will open that box.

I will take 3.5 floppys or the CD and place them in my PC after I have turned it on and sat in a chair that is in front of my PC so I can see the monitor and reach the keyboard and mouse.

I will then open either the A: or D: under My Comptuer in XP.

I will then install the game.

Now pay attention here this is where there might be a curve ball.

I want to run and play the game. Not just ask the question. I am actually interested in playing the game so I am going to need software or configurations in XP or whatever to get this game working.

Now since I have already done the google search and it came up with 75 different pages I am looking for specific suggestions.

I will eleaborate further. DosBox has been suggested by people on this site who have used it or have knowledge about it and therefor have more experience with it then me. If they are happy with it then I will go to google and find dosbox but if that is a program that many feel is garbage and suggest others I would be greatful if they suggested others and I will try them out also.

What I am not looking for is just a list of sites that mean nothing too me since I have no experience with them. I am much more interested in finding help from those who are knowledgeable on this site and see what they would recommend.

To those that have recommend dosbox or another program I appreciate it and if there are any others that you have had a good experience with I would like to hear about them in case the games I am trying to get up and running aren't compatible with some programs.

[quote name='Steve Dave']I understand exactly what you meant mtxbass1. That isn't the issue, the isssue is what you meant was stupid.

Seeing as how you were capable of using google you can rest assured that I am also capable of using google and already did a search and it was no help.

As for not asking directly for software that was my fault. I again assumed too much that people would be able to figure out that when someone asks about how to get something to work that they would actually be looking for things that would get whatever they wanted to work working. Again sorry.

If there are not then I will move to another box, if they are then I will pick which game or games I want to play.

I will take 3.5 floppys or the CD and place them in my PC after I have turned it on and sat in a chair that is in front of my PC so I can see the monitor and reach the keyboard and mouse.

I want to run and play the game. Not just ask the question. I am actually interested in playing the game so I am going to need software or configurations in XP or whatever to get this game working.

Now since I have already done the google search and it came up with 75 different pages I am looking for specific suggestions.

I will eleaborate further. DosBox has been suggested by people on this site who have used it or have knowledge about it and therefor have more experience with it then me. If they are happy with it then I will go to google and find dosbox but if that is a program that many feel is garbage and suggest others I would be greatful if they suggested others and I will try them out also.

What I am not looking for is just a list of sites that mean nothing too me since I have no experience with them. I am much more interested in finding help from those who are knowledgeable on this site and see what they would recommend.

To those that have recommend dosbox or another program I appreciate it and if there are any others that you have had a good experience with I would like to hear about them in case the games I am trying to get up and running aren't compatible with some programs.[/QUOTE]
Again, it's going to come down to a case by case basis for games. The likelihood that you'll get them all running through one solution such as DosBox is going to be fairly low. Once you get the games you want to play, and find which ones aren't compatible with DosBox, come back and list them. Also, maybe drop your "rude jackass" schtick. You didn't feel like doing your own research, so you came and asked here. Denying it would be one thing, but being a jerk just makes me, personally, want to help you less.

[quote name='Steve Dave']I understand exactly what you meant mtxbass1. That isn't the issue, the isssue is what you meant was stupid.

To those that have recommend dosbox or another program I appreciate it and if there are any others that you have had a good experience with I would like to hear about them in case the games I am trying to get up and running aren't compatible with some programs.[/QUOTE]
lol... awesome.

[quote name='jmcc'] Denying it would be one thing, but being a jerk just makes me, personally, want to help you less.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

Good luck getting your copy of Jazz Jackrabbit to run on your windows XP box OP.

Got a 98SE CD? Use a program like partition magic to make a small partition, maybe 5-10 GB if you have the space, install 98SE there, use it when you want to play DOS games. :)

That way you don't have to worry about running any third party DOS emulators.

[quote name='Mofo Jones']Got a 98SE CD? Use a program like partition magic to make a small partition, maybe 5-10 GB if you have the space, install 98SE there, use it when you want to play DOS games. :)

That way you don't have to worry about running any third party DOS emulators.[/QUOTE]
Interesting....

[quote name='Mofo Jones']Got a 98SE CD? Use a program like partition magic to make a small partition, maybe 5-10 GB if you have the space, install 98SE there, use it when you want to play DOS games. :)

That way you don't have to worry about running any third party DOS emulators.[/QUOTE]That's definitely a great idea. Heck, you could probably download the 98SE CD if you look hard enough... not that I'm doing that exact thing right now... ;)

That way you don't have to worry about running any third party DOS emulators.[/QUOTE]

Wouldn't that be nothing short of a driver nightmare?

bread's done
Back