What do you do with your used games?

Trancendental

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I have used all of these at one time or another - here's my rundown:

GameTZ - I used to use this site, but it's largely abandoned and too hard to setup a trade anymore.

Goozex - I think the ponzi-esque point system is finally catching up, not to mention the 2 dollar trades. The cues are out the door for almost any game, and points earned aren't worth it

Gamestop - Pitiful trade-in values

Ebay - PITA and scammers abound

Amazon Trade-in - Beginning to think this is the way to go

For the games I no longer want:

GameTZ - a great community to trade with. I have gotten more trades there than on CAG, to be honest, and it's easy to setup a trade.

I keep mine, but the ones I find at yard sales or that I just don't like, I sell on ebay. Sure, the fees are horrible, but the games I sell, I don't expect much from anyway. And I haven't gotten scammed yet with my 20 or so sales so far, hopefully that doesn't change.

I still eBay. There's a lot of horror stories and I've had a few tough sales (not games) but you'll still get more money for your stuff.

Ebay - Fees suck, but still way more money then trading in.

Craigslist - Watch out for the shadyness, but a decent place to sell.

Amazon - Sometimes if they have high trade in value

Gamestop - Sometimes the have 50% bonus trade in thats not bad.

Cheapassgamer - My fav thing to do is trade on CAG, but been harder and harder to find people to trade with for some reason.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']I have 100's of sales on ebay with no "scams". Make sure you use delivery confirmation. *knocks on wood*[/QUOTE]

OK. Maybe I was just unlucky, I'll give it another go.

[quote name='S0DA POPINSKI']I have 100's of sales on ebay with no "scams". Make sure you use delivery confirmation. *knocks on wood*[/QUOTE]

Not that delivery confirmation is that expensive, but with profit margins already narrowing, it seems to me to be just another added expense. I only use it on items I'm making more than $20 or in profit on. I'm q hoarder, so the only stuff I sell is stuff that I intend to flip, and I alternate between Amazon and eBay.

since i do about 95% of my shopping on amazon... i trade into amazon... i just wish they'd do more promotions... like the trade in $50 worth get 20 more in credit.

Anything that retails for less than $20 just dump it at Amazon or Gamestop with +50%. Mailing costs (minimum $4 with delivery confirmation) eliminate any gain from selling (or trading) directly to someone else, especially when the buyer knows he can wait a few weeks and pay 1/3 less when Gamestop has a Buy 2 Get 1.

Example: Gamestop lists the game used for $15, so a buyer has no reason to pay more than $10 (since that will be the price in a B2G1). Subtract mailing costs and you cant sell for more than $6, so you might as well trade to Gamestop for $4 (+50% bonus).

Above $20 sell on eBay .

Of course these rules don't apply 100%, there are always some market inefficiencies that you can exploit, but a lot less than there used to be. Unless you are working for minmum wage you'd be better off working some overtime rather than spending hours searching for an especially good deal.

[quote name='spmahn']Not that delivery confirmation is that expensive, but with profit margins already narrowing, it seems to me to be just another added expense. I only use it on items I'm making more than $20 or in profit on. I'm q hoarder, so the only stuff I sell is stuff that I intend to flip, and I alternate between Amazon and eBay.[/QUOTE]

Print your postage through paypal and delivery confirmation is free for priority shipping and only like 13 cents or something like that for first class. Plus the shipping price itself is slightly cheaper than paying for it at the post office. But this of course is if you have a scale to use at home. In the long run, printing your own postage is miles better than standing in line at the post office and paying more.

First I check the trade in value on Amazon, I compare that to the lowest used price on there. If the TIV is about equal I will just trade them in. If it is lower I will sell my game on Amazon.

I use ebay most of the time, you get the most money and rarely have I had a problem with a scammer on a single game. If you list your item correctly and describe everything correctly and use delivery confirmation you shouldn't have a problem.

Don't forget to check out any local options other than Gamestop, if you have a fleamarket, pawn shop or indie game store its worth at least looking at. I took some games to the fleamarket a few weeks ago and got more than I would have gotten on ebay. But if you have a rare-ish or expensive title I recommend going with ebay as most fleamarket dealers won't give you fair market value for rare-ish games.

If you need to sell quickly you can always put all your games in a lot and sell them on ebay so you don't have to mess with multiple buyers, you probably won't get as much per game however if you have a lot of cheaper games to sell this is the way to go if you don't have any local options. Even though you don't get as much as individual sales it will likely be a lot more than GS even after fees.

I'm quite a fond of just trading/selling on CAG. It's getting far too difficult to get people to respond to PMs anymore though. Why have a trade thread or put things up for sale, then never respond to messages! It's just stupid!

As for right now, I've got over 100 games waiting to trade. Ebay and Amazon are a hassle due to all the idiots. Trading in games to any store or even Amazon results in a significant loss ($31 for Demon's Souls Deluxe Edition? fuck that!).

I enjoyed Goozex for a while but there are so many issues there and it seems like they're simply too arrogant to bother trying anything. My biggest issues are that:
-No disc+case option.
-Actual punishment for those who list the wrong condition for an item (the BS neutral option does NOTHING.. screws the buyer, lets the seller keep the points).
-They need to re-think their points cap system-- maybe give the option for a minor points adjustment between buyer/seller. People are probably not going to trade a big ass limited edition (like Rockband or GH bundles) because they'll get screwed on shipping so maybe when a buyer/seller is matched, the seller can request a 50-200 point addition and the buyer can agree (pends trade) or disagree (buyer moves back in queue, and seller gets matched with whoever is next in queue). This could even apply to normal games... which would give incentive to those who are willing to buy/sell for a few more points.

[quote name='Meremare']For the games I no longer want:

GameTZ - a great community to trade with. I have gotten more trades there than on CAG, to be honest, and it's easy to setup a trade.[/QUOTE]

I don't what I'm doing wrong but I haven't been able to get anything going on GTZ for ages. I rarely receive a response to my offers, not even a decline. And I get the feeling that the people who list hundreds of games as available don't actually have those games or they have no real interests in trading but are just trying to attract more offers.

I've been using GameTZ for awhile and while it can be aggravating while trying to make a trade, eventually you will break through and they will come in bunches. I think at one time I had like 10 trades pending. Good place to move the old school stuff.

For the most part, if it isn't worth more than $30 or doesn't fetch more than 500 points on Goozex, I keep it. Otherwise, I'll trade into Amazon.

Though, I wonder how much the early access passes are going to raise queue time for those who don't have any early access passes. Trade in You Don't Know Jack and get a top of the line spot for Uncharted 3 or Mass Effect 3? Eh... I dunno about that.

I don't keep as large a pool a points anymore, but I still find it hard to match the value of Goozex. I just received KZ3, Bulletstorm, Atelier Rorona Premium Edition, MvC3, and I'm matched for MLB: The Show 11. It's easy to abuse their slow game point value system.

I've dabbled in the CAG trading system, but that takes a lot of work to get things going sometimes.

I also flooded my brother with a lot of my games I don't play anymore. Created him a backlog he'll never get through.

I thought the OP's profile (or whatever that line is above the avatar) said "Insufficiently Soused". I was mistaken and not as pleased when I found out I was wrong.

I usually trade them since it's rare I can actually buy a game. I also usually end up wishing I hadn't traded them.

I rent most games from GameFly, so I generally only end up buying the ones I really, really want. I usually hang onto those. In the rare cases where I am looking to dump something, I end up going to GS, but only if they have a decent deal doing on.

I used to ebay a lot but the constant fee increases and scammers was getting rough, now I just trade in to Amazon which is pretty painless

Typically the only games I keep are ones that have multiplayer I actually enjoy, since I rarely replay a game once I've beaten it. I trade in the others to Gamestop once I see a god trade-in promo.

This somewhat pertains to the question at hand, so I'll ask here since I can't start any threads yet....what's the best way to go about unloading new games other than Ebay/Amz/CL?

I have never purchased a used game in my life, nor participated in any trades as they seem like too much work/hassle, but I do have some games that are duplicates OR came shrink-wrapped instead of y-sealed and I want to get something for them if I can. I can always find something I want sooner or later anywhere, so store credit is excellent, not really looking for cash.

Since you guys/gals seem to have loads of experience trading everywhere, I'm wondering who gives the least hassle for trade-ins between Gamestop, Best Buy, Toys R Us or Amazon? Also, do any of them accept new games for trade-in or do they have to be used already? I'm hesitant to try Amazon simply because that requires going to post office (aka hassle!), but if their process is better than either of the three B&M's I listed, I guess I could give them a shot. Thanks for any advice in advance:D

bread's done
Back