What do you guys Game On (Display, not your asses!)

HeadRusch

CAGiversary!
I'm curious what people here use as a game display....

VGA Monitor?

HD Plasma?

LCD?

Old 4:3 Zenith your mom got free for opening a checking account with the bank back in 1977?

My XBox is hooked to my Home Theatre display, which is currently a 4 year old 65" Mitsubishi CRT...looks beautiful but has some problems with some games not taking up the entire screen. Convergence and tweaking the set in the service menus can be a pain but the picture is really stellar. Only the most recent LCD and Plasma sets costing 5 times more give it a run for its money. And a Front Projector is cool, but not for me.

My PS2 is hooked up to a really cheap 4:3 HD ready set...its a flatscreen and for the PS2 its just fine, but at 1080i the screen is like 23" wide..pretty small....I generally use it as just a 4:3 display. Because its a digital set DVDs look good, HD looks great (suprising since the set cost only $400 bucks 2 years ago) and regular cable looks like @ss.

I'm thinking of picking up an inexpensive (relatively) 32" widescreen LCD with a 1000:1 or better contrast ratio to become my main gaming box and moving the xbox off the 65" CRT (Burn in fears) and ditching the relatively cheap 4:3 HD set.

What about you guys......you running on HD sets, projecting at 120 inches...??

a "47 HD ready panasonic widescreen projection tv, and a 27" proscan 4:3... at least until I get a real good deal on a smaller 16:9 TV for that room

I'm trying to decide right now if I want to go 32" or 37"...the difference in cost is pretty significant, at least right now.....but you go from 720p to 1080p. Still...dropping $2 large on a gaming TV isn't a prudent move to me.

Or I could just get a table-top 42" CRT rear Projection set and just say "screw it" and not worry about the burn-in potential. Heck I'd even save money that way.

I have that 30in Philips HDTV from that thread in my living room, and I have a 20in monitor in my room, hooked up to my Xbox through an adapter that supports HDTV. They both look great.

Sony KV-34XBR910. It's a 34" direct view widescreen HDTV and it's fantastic. Cost about $2200 about 2 years ago and was worth every penny.:D

65" mitsu. for the Xbox, PS2 and NGC. All the rest on a 27" crt.

Recently purchased and major plans. The 80's paneling has to go and the tv will be recessed in the wall.
IMG_0115small.jpg

Any of the blur is from the cam, not the tv.
http://home.insightbb.com/~supernothingcag/index.html

I've also got a 65" Mits from 2001, but the PS2 games look flat out FUGLY on it...
I used an SVIDEO connection from the PS2 into the front port on my Mits and the results were decidedly awful. The PS2 stuff just looked so low rez, but on a smaller display (27" or so) the PS2 looked great.

Oh, and that tongue and groove paneling is trick dude......don't trash that, real wood is coming back! :)

The funny thing is i remember when they delivered the 65" Set....it looked massive, it looked gigantic, it looked BIGGER THAN JESUS.......today its like "eh". Its just big enough for movies, although I couldn't imagine watching widescreen DVD's on anything smaller :)

Now I'm actually wondering: Should I just use my 65" for all my gaming and not worry about it, if I get any burn-in its only about a $2 grand TV to replace.
Of course my next set, assuming I dont move to front projection, will more than likely be the 73" Model they make, or by then if they make an 80".......le drool.

With an 80" LCD or CRT screen, I wouldn't even bother with the hassle of a Front Projector at 100" Diagonal...

[quote name='gizmogc']Is there two TV's there? Looks like the DOOM one is before another TV...I'll take a pic of my setup later.[/QUOTE]

Nope, thats just the way sony's XS series looks like. They are very nice LCDs :D

[quote name='rodeojones903']Nope, thats just the way sony's XS series looks like. They are very nice LCDs :D[/QUOTE]

Yuppers that's my SONY 60XS955

Espon S1+ LCD projector

I know that the black levels leave something to be desired, but when my display is 132" for under $1000 I tend not to notice. Someday I'll upgrade to something fancier.

I leveled up my display a few times in the past two years. Started on a 13" Hitatchi TV/VCR at college, then upped it to a 20" RCA, and now I have an older 27" GE. When I move out, I'm aiming for a 45+" widescreen HDTV...

I have a 32" GE TV with that Sony 5.1 system(the $199 one that everyone has) and I sometimes game on my parents' 42" Zenith edtv plasma. So games sound good on one and look good on the other :)

That Sony system is not bad at all, considering how cheap it is.

I'm one of those people who doesn't like gaming on a huge (as in bigger than 100") Screen. My eyes have to dart around too much. Although playing some racing games on a 100" screen are enough to induce motion-sickness :)

I have a 34" Wide screen HD Toshiba TV...with a yamaha receiver, and 5 speaker jbl setup...After I get married next spring, I plan on getting a bigger screened tv...I haven't decided between a plasma, lcd, dlp, or tube tv just going to wait and see what is available about a year and a half from now.

I think Plasmas (and I know alot of people feel this way) are starting to crest right now, and will slowly begin to decline as the years go on. DILA or LCOS held alot of promise, but I dont know if they are going to continue to develop those. Plasmas haven't really gone anywhere, and LCD's seem to be the display of choice moving to the front, along with DLP.

I would personally do LCD for a gaming screen because a blacker-than-black contrast ratio isn't as important here, no burn-in, excessively long lifespan, and high resolution without having to adjust convergence and geometry issues.

For watching movies, I'd stick to CRT's if you have the space......you just can't beat a crt picture unless you're talking about one of the $10,000 exotic displays....

I play all my Xbox and PC games through my 19" flatscreen Viewsonic CRT monitor. This adaptor I have (www.x2vga.com) lets me see my Xbox games in all their progressive scanning glory. For my Gamecube, I play on a 32" flatscreen Sony TV. Very nice.

[quote name='HeadRusch']I've also got a 65" Mits from 2001, but the PS2 games look flat out FUGLY on it...
I used an SVIDEO connection from the PS2 into the front port on my Mits and the results were decidedly awful. The PS2 stuff just looked so low rez, but on a smaller display (27" or so) the PS2 looked great.

Oh, and that tongue and groove paneling is trick dude......don't trash that, real wood is coming back! :)

The funny thing is i remember when they delivered the 65" Set....it looked massive, it looked gigantic, it looked BIGGER THAN JESUS.......today its like "eh". Its just big enough for movies, although I couldn't imagine watching widescreen DVD's on anything smaller :)

Now I'm actually wondering: Should I just use my 65" for all my gaming and not worry about it, if I get any burn-in its only about a $2 grand TV to replace.
Of course my next set, assuming I dont move to front projection, will more than likely be the 73" Model they make, or by then if they make an 80".......le drool.

With an 80" LCD or CRT screen, I wouldn't even bother with the hassle of a Front Projector at 100" Diagonal...[/QUOTE]
I feel the same about the PS2 on mine. But so far I've only played it for about 10 minutes, Forza has been on and not much of anything else.

The wood paneling just doesn't match anything else in the room. I've got it in one other room in the house and it will probably stay there for a while. It will be the last room I remodel.

Console Gaming
---------------------
1987 Toshiba Blackstripe

Computer Gaming
-----------------------
17" Flat Panel LCD

15" Shit Moniter

(Im thinking about buying a Toshiba 26" HD Widescreen TV soon :) :) )

bread's done
Back