What Do You Think??? (Dial-up Users: Beware)

XboxMaster

CAGiversary!
OK, this thread is about this little piece of art I drew today. It's a hand holding a decapitated head. Pretty wierd and none-game-related, right, so why am I posting this here? Because I hardly ever am able to sit down and draw something and actually finish it %90. I'd like you to give me suggests or whatever, but before you do, consider the following: I'm 13, I haven't attended anything (besides art class in school) that helps me improve my drawing skills, it's not very polished. OK, here's the picture.

head.jpg

honestly its not bad. but i believe you can do alot better. you should practice drawing with a pen. and redraw over and over and over. it'll help polish your skills. erasing or tracing over doesnt not challenge you mind. im attending classes at Art Center (top 10 art school in the country) and i have to say i learned much more practicing my self.

.... It remind me of Beowulf.....

... yea i think u need to seek help....

13 year old... draw something like that is not healthy

Would you understand it more if I told you I love Kill Bill. Also, I'm so into medievil Europe and fuedal Japan, so I'm not afraid to watch gore. I intend to make some kind of anime shows or movies when I grow up, and they're probably gonna be about medievil Europe or fuedal Japan with a lot of gore.

to missingdata's post:

i disagree, many famous manga artists will include their child hood doodles in their mangas. many of those were perverted or grusome. it all depends where you mind takes you, jus like playing GTA when your young will not ness. make you want to go jack some foo.

ok.... just a suggestion

Sorry i should make this clearer

i m writing to respond to rimsforsale not to the post author.

N if medivel n the japan thingy is something u like... go for it, n practice ur drawing some more it will do u good!!! :wink:

Look, I have some wierd craze for medievil Europe and fuedal Japan. Can you have either of those two eras without gore, hell no!!!

i just thought of another tech. i learned during school, if you like a certain style of drawing, or an certain artist. you should take his drawings and imatate it as much as you can. jus draw it over and over, and soon you will add your own style into that genre of art.

i.e. that anime scene from kill bill vol. 1

I go to an art school, and i think that looks pretty good. One bit of advice to improve your drawing skills is to draw from life, whether it be people objects or even pictures. The more you draw from life as oppossed to drawing from you head will improve your drawing skills a lot, good luck!!
--Shadd

hey thats pretty cool, lol...well the only thing i see that you could improve for this sketch is to like...try to make the lines run more smoothly...for example, on the bicep, try to make it more curved and stuff :)

p.s. you ARE a halo nut, lol...red vs blue... :D

[quote name='shadd01']I go to an art school, and i think that looks pretty good. One bit of advice to improve your drawing skills is to draw from life, whether it be people objects or even pictures. The more you draw from life as oppossed to drawing from you head will improve your drawing skills a lot, good luck!!
--Shadd[/quote]

yup i agree, its the basic to draw what you see. art 101

If you are seriously interested in being an animator, there are a couple things that you can study now to give yourself a great foundation to work from. First, it's important to know anatomy, not only of humans, but also of animals. Second, it's crucial for you to have a strong understanding of perspective and scale.
These are just two basic areas of study to get you started, without making you feel too overwhelmed. And, don't worry about what anyone else says, draw what you love.

It's one thing to copy life but it's a whole different things to study and understand WHY life works the way it does.

yeah people are tellyou the right thing with life drawing classes and anatomy and proportion, all of these things are the keys to being a great artist but also an understanding of why the muscles and bones do what they do.

if you're doing it as a hobbie it okay to just snatch from your favorite artists with the intention of learning from it but you can never be a competant consistant artist taking the short cut way, you get out of it what you put into it.

goodluck on future art!

[quote name='shadd01']I go to an art school, and i think that looks pretty good. One bit of advice to improve your drawing skills is to draw from life, whether it be people objects or even pictures. The more you draw from life as oppossed to drawing from you head will improve your drawing skills a lot, good luck!!
--Shadd[/quote]

This kinda puzzles me. Isn't it harder to draw from your head than from something you're looking at in real-life? And doesn't practicing something hard improve your skills more? For instance, I drew everything there from my head except the ears and eyes, I ran into the bathroom and took a quick look of my own for those two parts. I then did the eyes and ears real quick because I had a fresh image in my mind. Also, if I got a recent drawing from my mind, and a recent drawing from real-life, you could easily tell because the real-life sketch is better. Most times, I only have very small flaws when I draw real-life sketches. IDK, you're the expert, I guess I'm just missing something...

[quote name='Greyman7']If you are seriously interested in being an animator, there are a couple things that you can study now to give yourself a great foundation to work from. First, it's important to know anatomy, not only of humans, but also of animals. Second, it's crucial for you to have a strong understanding of perspective and scale.
These are just two basic areas of study to get you started, without making you feel too overwhelmed. And, don't worry about what anyone else says, draw what you love.[/quote]

:lol: , wow, you really hit the dot. Drawing the body below the chest is usually the hardest part for me and doesn't come out looking good. Also, a lot of times, I end up drawing something too big when compared to something that should be certain porportion. Like the ears too big and the eyes too small, something like that.

Thanks for the comment everybody. :D

You need to work on the shading...and dont draw in straight lines so much...kinda sketch it out...When you really start learning how to draw then you will be able to do more straight then sketch...but for now just sketch stuff...and it you want to learn body parts then keep sketching body parts from pictures or your own...

[quote name='"XboxMaster"'][quote name='shadd01']I go to an art school, and i think that looks pretty good. One bit of advice to improve your drawing skills is to draw from life, whether it be people objects or even pictures. The more you draw from life as oppossed to drawing from you head will improve your drawing skills a lot, good luck!!
--Shadd[/quote]

This kinda puzzles me. Isn't it harder to draw from your head than from something you're looking at in real-life? And doesn't practicing something hard improve your skills more? For instance, I drew everything there from my head except the ears and eyes, I ran into the bathroom and took a quick look of my own for those two parts. I then did the eyes and ears real quick because I had a fresh image in my mind. Also, if I got a recent drawing from my mind, and a recent drawing from real-life, you could easily tell because the real-life sketch is better. Most times, I only have very small flaws when I draw real-life sketches. IDK, you're the expert, I guess I'm just missing something...

Yes it is harder to draw from you head than in life. But chances are when you draw something from your head its because youve either drawn it or seen it before. When you draw from life or anotther source you have something to compare it to, to check the proportions,angles, perspective and all that good stuff. This is merely what i have been told about my drawing. I tend to draw from my head and i find the things that come out looking the best are the things ive drawn before. just some advice take it or leave it.
--Shadd

Looks good, but the arm's muscles are kind of out of place. Such as the near the wrist- seems the muscle is going the wrong way.

[quote name='XboxMaster']I asked for suggestions about my drawing, not my sanity.[/quote]
Or lack thereof :D

JK

[quote name='Moxio']Looks good, but the arm's muscles are kind of out of place. Such as the near the wrist- seems the muscle is going the wrong way.[/quote]

the exact reason you should draw from models/pictures

The actual picture just seems kind of dull.
It's framed so strangly that it seems like you have a fixation on hair or something... It would be different if the head (with a look of shock/horror) was framed in the center of the picture, or even obscured and placed to side of the person while they are resheathing thier sword or something.

[quote name='JSweeney']The actual picture just seems kind of dull.
It's framed so strangly that it seems like you have a fixation on hair or something... It would be different if the head (with a look of shock/horror) was framed in the center of the picture, or even obscured and placed to side of the person while they are resheathing thier sword or something.[/quote]

Yeah, I know, when I started, I thought that that the guy's neck would be right above the bottom of the paper, but I started drawing too big. And I wouldn't have posted it without some of the body, but I figured out that even if I did draw one, my scanner wouldn't even be able to get %70 of it, so I just left it as it was and is.

bread's done
Back