What fighting game do you prefer/devote yourself too?

sarausagi

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Well, there's been countless of fighter threads...I've tried to make some observations as to what people play more......

Tekken 5 [seems to be tons of talk about Tekken in every thread]
King of Fighters [every single fighter threads has someone mentioning KOF in one way or another]
Guilty Gear [seems to grow in popularity almost every day]
Melty Blood [didn't hear about until CAG in fact]

So I'm just making a little poll, which fighting game do you prefer? mostly, which one do you play on the more regular basis? not specifically whcih one you're better at, but which one you talk about more, put more time into, etc

edit: If I had to vote, it'd be Soul Calibur or Virtua for 3d, and definitely Street Fighter Alpha for 2d, but recently it's been more Dead or Alive and King of Fighters, mostly because there hasn't been a Soul Calibur out since III, Street Fighter is kind of "dead" in terms of releases, and Virtua isn't even out yet.

Well Guilty Gear is my primary fighting game... I'm fucking awesome at it. I haven't played it in a while, unfortunately, but I'm sure I'd be able to recover from my hiatus pretty quickly.

I've also played a hell of a lot of King of Fighters XI... I'm definitely pretty good at the game, but I haven't devoted nearly as much time to this as I have to Guilty Gear.

For me recently it's been KOF XI, Street Fighter Alpha 3 and Third Strike, and the Guilty Gear series. My skills are like more in SF but they are growing in the others as I devote more time to them.

About four years ago, my friend and I played 1-2 hours of Street Fighter 3: Third Strike after school every single day. We watched videos, studied techniques, and just plain started to kick ass. We got in a few tourneys, won some and lost some, and then went our seperate ways as we went to different High Schools.

Too bad, really. Never found anybody to play fighting games with since him. I recently picked the game up again, and I totally sucked compared to what I was. Guess I'm not much of a fighter fan anymore :/

Although I've never been a really big Tekken guy, Tekken 5 was great. For 3d fighter games, I prefer the Soul Calibur games & Virtua Fighter series alot. For 2d fighters, the KOF & SF2 games are pretty fun for me.

I know most fighting community's hate his game but...Super Smash Brothers Melee. Just a huge great game, I mean just look at MLG.

I have been devoted to DoA in the past. Now I play 4 by default since it's online and I'm good at it.

Other than that, I'll occasionally pull out a random fighter from my collection and play it for a couple hours. Usually CvS2 or VF4:Evo, occasionally Tekken 5.

Oh didnt see Marvel vs Capcom when I voted...so I voted for the other Capcom series. Anyway thats my favorite... besides Smash bros.

I probably play Tekken the most (only one I travel to tournaments for) but I think I like Street Fighter the best. I think it has a timelessness that other fighters don't.

In terms of preference, I probably go something like this

1) Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike
2) Street Fighter Alpha 2
3) Tekken Tag Tournament
4) Tekken 5 (5.0)
5) X-Men vs. Street Fighter
6) Marvel vs. Capcom 2
7) Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
7) Capcom vs. SNK 2
8) Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo
9) King of Fighters XI
10) Street Fighter 2 Hyper Fighting
11) Super Smash Bros Melee
12) Street Fighter Alpha 3
13) Soul Calibur 2
14) Breakers Revenge (very underrated)
15) Guilty Gear XX Slash

This list is currently. I mean I've played Melty Blood, VF4 and DOA4 a bit recently but I just can't get into them like some other games. Also, on the list, I tried to not include to many iterations of the same game. But word, that's basically my list of my favorite fighters of all time (and basically my list of the my favorite games of all time, with the exception of Resident Evil 4, Halo 1 and a few others).

[quote name='CitizenB']Mortal Kombat WTF how did that no make the list.[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get into a debate, but Smash Brothers and maybe some less than loved fighters would make it on there before Mortal Kombat

When I realize I had to leave off Samurai Showdown, Garou, Darkstalkers, then it makes no sense to have MK there

Now, if this was a 90's fighter list, then yes, Mortal Kombat would be on there too, as would [definitely] Killer Instinct and maybe even Eternal Champions, Primal Rage and Toshinden.

I like most of the mainstream 3D fighters but Tekken is by far my favorite followed by Virtua Fighter, Soul Calibur and DOA. However, I have some sort of dyslexia with 2D fighters, I've never been able to get good at them.

[quote name='RelentlessRolento']Why am I not surprised that Soul Calibur got alot of votes?[/QUOTE]

Because it's geared toward casual players. DUH.

(not to say it doesn't have high level play)

Some quick and dirty searching:

-Smash (6 M) [wikipedia]

-SC3 (U.S. 92,439 week 1, whereas SC2 sold 400K+ in week 1 across 3 consoles) I presume that with SC3 sales were significantly less than SC2, who had in the neighborhood of 1.5 M+ in the U.S. 8 months out [NPD/IGN]

-Tekken 5 (1.32 M)[vgcharts]

-DOA4 (1 M)[vgcharts]

-VF4 (1.70 M)[vgcharts]

I couldnt find data on everything else, which leads me to believe that their sales werent not significantly close to the ones I did find data on.

I would almost make the radical claim that Smash sales rival the sales of all those other options combined.

[quote name='jimfoley16']Because it's geared toward casual players. DUH.

(not to say it doesn't have high level play)[/QUOTE]

plus, i think the fantasy based universe appeals to alot of gamers who seem to like that (WoW is proof... bleh!)

Off of the poll, Virtua Fighter, though nowhere near devotion. I haven't touched it in months.

If it counts, Super Smash Bros. (64) I still play it regularly. Melee is shit.

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']Off of the poll, Virtua Fighter, though nowhere near devotion. I haven't touched it in months.

If it counts, Super Smash Bros. (64) I still play it regularly. Melee is shit.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, the original Smash Bros I enjoyed, but I can't stand the newer ones.

[quote name='The Crotch']Problems with plurals aside, I'm curious what you consider Melee's faults to be. Aside from nerfings, more dodges, and an extra attack, the game was virtually the same.[/QUOTE] I think Melee just lost whatever it was that made SSB special, somehow. The feel is all wrong, most of the characters and areas are worthless, and yeah, they majorly nerfed my mains. :lol:

None of my friends like Melee, either. They'd rather I embarass them in SSB than put up a decent fight in that shit-fest. :lol:

[quote name='sblymnlcrymnl']I think Melee just lost whatever it was that made SSB special, somehow. The feel is all wrong, most of the characters and areas are worthless, and yeah, they majorly nerfed my mains. :lol:

None of my friends like Melee, either. They'd rather I embarass them in SSB than put up a decent fight in that shit-fest. :lol:[/QUOTE]

Yeah, for some reason SSB felt like it had weight to it, while Melee felt like fluff most of the time...

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']Some quick and dirty searching:

-Smash (6 M) [wikipedia]

-SC3 (U.S. 92,439 week 1, whereas SC2 sold 400K+ in week 1 across 3 consoles) I presume that with SC3 sales were significantly less than SC2, who had in the neighborhood of 1.5 M+ in the U.S. 8 months out [NPD/IGN]

-Tekken 5 (1.32 M)[vgcharts]

-DOA4 (1 M)[vgcharts]

-VF4 (1.70 M)[vgcharts]

I couldnt find data on everything else, which leads me to believe that their sales werent not significantly close to the ones I did find data on.

I would almost make the radical claim that Smash sales rival the sales of all those other options combined.[/QUOTE]

1 Mill for DOA4 is impressive.

and Rolento/other Melee haters: where do I get some of what you guys are smoking? It's virtually if not entirely impossible to argue that the 64 Smash is better than Melee. It's like trying to argue that Street Fighter 1 is better than Street Fighter 2.

[quote name='jimfoley16']1 Mill for DOA4 is impressive.

and Rolento/other Melee haters: where do I get some of what you guys are smoking? It's virtually if not entirely impossible to argue that the 64 Smash is better than Melee. It's like trying to argue that Street Fighter 1 is better than Street Fighter 2.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Melee essentially took what was a decent but flawed game and made it something great. Would I consider it my favorite fighting game? Definitely not. But I absolutely love it.

Naruto 3/4 are my best games, followed by Soul Calibur, then Tekken comes in third for me. I'd like to devote some time to VF, but that's not going to happen.

Wow such a great topic, I'm not very good at these games but i try
Marvel Vs Capcom 1,2 and those street fighter vs X-men and etc
Street Fighter Alpha 2-3
MK 2 and 3
Soul Caliber
King of Fighters
Capcom vs SNK
DarkStalkers
Killer Insticnt
Obscure snk fighting games like World Heroes

[quote name='jimfoley16']and Rolento/other Melee haters: where do I get some of what you guys are smoking? It's virtually if not entirely impossible to argue that the 64 Smash is better than Melee. It's like trying to argue that Street Fighter 1 is better than Street Fighter 2.[/QUOTE] But SF didn't get it right the first time.

What it really comes down to, for me, is that Melee just feels wrong. So wrong that it's not any fun.

[quote name='jimfoley16']

and Rolento/other Melee haters: where do I get some of what you guys are smoking? It's virtually if not entirely impossible to argue that the 64 Smash is better than Melee. It's like trying to argue that Street Fighter 1 is better than Street Fighter 2.[/QUOTE]

we're smoking the good stuff. Sometimes "improving" a game or upgrading it ruins the fun... to me Melee and 64 feel like apples to oranges... You have a solid simple base to start with and then you add more to it, with stuff that makes it worse. It's like if you play checkers vs checkers with a time limit, 3 extra lifes, the ability to change you markers pink making them have your peices move faster, and a spinner making you choose wha color you are every round. Sure some stuff may sound fun, but tons of sugar to a cake dosn't make it taste good, it ruins it.

3rd Strike... FOR LIFE.

btw how can u put MVC and CVS in the same category???

they're two completely different games -_-

[quote name='JEKKI']3rd Strike... FOR LIFE.

they're two completely different games -_-[/QUOTE]

I disagree. Both play high speed and cover some of the same basic aesthetics as well as gameplay with some spicer uppers... it's just one plays more fun than the other.

[quote name='JEKKI']3rd Strike... FOR LIFE.

they're two completely different games -_-[/QUOTE]

They're both crossovers, they both share several of the same mechanics, plus the play style carries over pretty well. I can play CVS Capcom the same way as MVC2 Capcom

But they are completely different, however, there are people who play only the crossover games: for a long time ALL I played was CVS and MVC. I didn't stop until Soul Calibur 3 stole about 200 hours of my life. Then I stopped playing that and went back to Virtua and KOF [oh, and SFA Anthology]

No clue :)

I'll say the VS series despite not really playing anything before MvC simply because MvC single handedly sold me on the Dreamcast. Virtua Fighter comes pretty close though.

bread's done
Back