What game do you love that most everyone else thinks is garbage?

[quote name='tangytangerine']Yeah, pretty much every reviewer hated it.

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpages4/365383.asp[/quote]

Ahh, I see, I guess I'm just a sucker for anything evil dead.

Also, both shenmue games were incredible, I know the second one got panned but the first one was praised by most. I just don't understand how Shenmue 2 got so universally panned, I think G4tv voted it the worst game ever made or something :roll:

I'll second Saga Frontier. I never understood why that game got so much hatred. It was very different from your standard RPG (PC or console) but I enjoyed it. My only complaint was it was too short. Even beating it with every character didn't take very long.

Metal Dungeon for Xbox. I don't know many that have even played this, let alone played through every dungeon level (It's been a while but I recall there being something like 400 levels you had to slog through to truly beat it). I did, but I like mindless leveling up dungeon crawls.

Lionheart for PC. Ok the 2nd half of the game was terrible. It was half finished and really boring. But it had so much potential and I loved the core system.

If King's Bounty counts I will second that one too. And if we're counting that I may as well add in Heroes of Might and Magic for PS2, which was King's Bounty exactly with much improved graphics. King's Bounty is one of the two games that inspired the HOMM series on PC and I can't imagine someone hating it though.

Wario World (Gamecube). Everybody expected so much more because it was "ooooh, Treasure". My low expectations were surpassed. It's fun piledriving guys and watching them explode into coins.

[quote name='Metal Boss']Also, both shenmue games were incredible, I know the second one got panned but the first one was praised by most. I just don't understand how Shenmue 2 got so universally panned, I think G4tv voted it the worst game ever made or something :roll:[/quote]

I loved them both. There was nothing wrong with Shenmue 2 and it irritates me when people talk shit about it. Yes, it is on Xbox and has DC graphics, but who gives a shit? Shenmue was all about the story and QTE's :) I give a damn how good the graphics look, on this or most any game.

[quote name='crowbb']I'll second Saga Frontier. I never understood why that game got so much hatred. It was very different from your standard RPG (PC or console) but I enjoyed it. My only complaint was it was too short. Even beating it with every character didn't take very long.

Metal Dungeon for Xbox. I don't know many that have even played this, let alone played through every dungeon level (It's been a while but I recall there being something like 400 levels you had to slog through to truly beat it). I did, but I like mindless leveling up dungeon crawls.

Lionheart for PC. Ok the 2nd half of the game was terrible. It was half finished and really boring. But it had so much potential and I loved the core system.

If King's Bounty counts I will second that one too. And if we're counting that I may as well add in Heroes of Might and Magic for PS2, which was King's Bounty exactly with much improved graphics. King's Bounty is one of the two games that inspired the HOMM series on PC and I can't imagine someone hating it though.[/quote]
I don't see why it got any hatred at all. Great graphics, great music, great gameplay, great story, great difficulty, great replay, great sidequests, great style ... sure, some don't like the graphics, and by great difficulty I mean it's at an appropriate level. I think most people hated it because they thought they'd love the next big Square RPG, so a lot of the FF7 lovers who had only played one RPG went to it hoping for the same stuff.

Red Ninja: I can rarely stand even the best of action/stealth games, and I -loved- Red Ninja, besides it being horribly hard..I loved it. I love Kurenai, and the game is quite lovely, the tutorial level is GORGEOUS. Genji 2 totally ripped off Red Ninja with the female character....I wish they remade it

Shinobi PS2: can you tell I love "bad" ninja games? I loved Shinobi, and it was fucking hard, but that's what made me love it even more. I've meant to play Nightshade...I think the fact is I just can't dislike a Ninja game...the incredible ones [Ninja Gaiden, the first Tenchu games] to the "medicore" ones...I think I just love ninja games.

Dance Dance Revolution: I realize critically DDR gets good scores, but it's really been overshadowed by Guitar Hero, and generally is seen as the "inferior" rhythm game, but I love DDR, it tests your mind, your body, your spirit, everything, and I don't see why GH is more popular, plus the music rocks [waaaay more than anything in GH]

Xenosaga: pretty much ruined RPG's for me as a whole, in my opinion the -best- in every regard: gameplay, music, camera, art, story, characters, everything. Somehow DQ VIII and FF XII became this generation's darlings, and Xenosaga was seen as an inferior, flawed game...yet I think it's absolutely beautiful

Phantasy Star Universe: I am absolutely endeared to this game, it is fun, very fun, I love grinders, I love anime, I don't take it seriously, I know it's cliche, I know it's flawed, but I love it to no end, honestly I feel NO ONE gave it a fair chance, I don't see how FF XII has a good battle system and excellent story and PSU is pure crap..I don't..I'd rather play PSU than FF XII anyday.

Omikron the Nomad Soul for Dreamcast. I seem to remember it getting a 1 out of 10 in GameInformer, but I really liked it.

I don't think a lot you understand the concept of a game you like but most hate. Xenosaga, Metal Gear 2, Shenmue, come on. Thousands love those. Hey, I really liked Super Mario Brothers 3. Didn't everyone hate that?

[quote name='ragtop70']Omikron the Nomad Soul for Dreamcast. I seem to remember it getting a 1 out of 10 in GameInformer, but I really liked it.
[/quote]

Agreed with that

but you have to agree shenmue 2 got unfairly panned by idiot critics like the people at G4.

Radiata Stories - I don't know what everyone's problem is with it. I found it to be full of splendid flavor.

Dragon Quarter - Not many people enjoyed this jam, but I was delighted.

Romancing Saga - I can see why it is hated, but I think it's a most entertaining/frustrating dish.

[quote name='ragtop70']Omikron the Nomad Soul for Dreamcast. I seem to remember it getting a 1 out of 10 in GameInformer, but I really liked it.

I don't think a lot you understand the concept of a game you like but most hate. Xenosaga, Metal Gear 2, Shenmue, come on. Thousands love those. Hey, I really liked Super Mario Brothers 3. Didn't everyone hate that?[/QUOTE]

It doesn't count for Xenosaga OR Shenmue either, look at the reviews, exceedingly low compared to games like DQ VIII and FFXII. Not only that, but the games get bashed by most people. "THERE'S NO GAMEPLAY" or "IT'S A BUNCH OF ANIME CLICHES" or "the story is so derivative and flawed, read a book!!" or "It's just a bunch of fan service, you want art, play Zelda"

Super Mario 3? Metal Gear 2? EVERYONE loves those.

NES: A Nightmare On Elm Street
Genesis: Sub-Terrania
SNES: Izzy's Quest For The Olympic Rings
N64: Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
PS2: Ford Racing 3
Gamecube: Blowout
Game Boy: Solar Striker
Game Boy Color: Microsoft Pinball Arcade
GBA: Street Racing Syndicate

Roadkill - Maybe not thought of as garbage, but I don't think many people enjoyed it as much as I did, I am a sucker for car combat games and really liked the exploration in this game.

I don't think a lot you understand the concept of a game you like but most hate. Xenosaga, Metal Gear 2, Shenmue, come on. Thousands love those. Hey, I really liked Super Mario Brothers 3. Didn't everyone hate that?[/QUOTE]

I remember that Speed Devils got trashed in the magazines on the DC too, and I thought it was the best racing game on the system that wasn't named "Hydro Thunder" or "Rush 2049".

RD

Oh yeah, I forgot all about Dragon Quarter! I liked it too. It took some getting used to but once I did it was an excellent and very different game.

[quote name='willardhaven']Radiata Stories - I don't know what everyone's problem is with it. I found it to be full of splendid flavor.

Dragon Quarter - Not many people enjoyed this jam, but I was delighted.

Romancing Saga - I can see why it is hated, but I think it's a most entertaining/frustrating dish.[/QUOTE]

I mentioned the STORY of Metal Gear Solid 2. Between Raiden and the cryptic ending that game's plot gets more flak than almost any other.

I haven't heard many great things about Donkey Kong 64...so I'd say that. One of my favorite games ever :D

[quote name='crowbb']If King's Bounty counts I will second that one too. And if we're counting that I may as well add in Heroes of Might and Magic for PS2, which was King's Bounty exactly with much improved graphics. King's Bounty is one of the two games that inspired the HOMM series on PC and I can't imagine someone hating it though.[/QUOTE]
I remember 3DO's PS2 port as well. Still have it. For some reason, I didn't get into it as much. That's nostalgia for ya. I can still hear the traveling music of King's Bounty in my head.

I don't know what kind of ratings the game got back in the day, honestly, but I imagine most people view it with an indifferent shrug. Thus, I included it.

I really enjoyed the serious sam series. No matter how many times it would get butchered by video game reviewers.

WrestleCrap'sRD;2874905 said:
Talking about Evil Dead on the DC reminded me of another DC game that was fun: Max Steele. Did anyone ever give that one a go?

RD

Yes! I remember having that game back around 2001. I actually liked the game, but of course I never told anyone considering the show it was based upon....plus the fact I was 31 at the time :oops:

Minority Report GC/PS2/Xbox

Star Trek: Deep Space Nine: Crossroads of Time SNES

Garfield: Caught in the Act GEN/PC

Also, Wario's Woods (SNES), but that's more one that nobody played.

Games that I like that.... either no one cared about, or were overshadowed by certain, bigger titles in their genre:

Revelations the Demon Slayer for GBC
Demikids Light and Dark for GBA
Robopon Sun for GBC (I didn't like the gba robopon's that much)
Digimon World DS

These seem to have gotten lost in the mess of gba/gbc games released and just passed off as "average or mediocre" games but in reality they are very fun, I especially enjoyed Revelation and Demikids, the fusion and link fusion system in Demikids was tops.

Ghostbusters for the Commodore 64.

It has a much better version than the NES port, but still lacked. I understand it's not a good game, but I just loved waiting 10 minutes for the disk drive to load that thing up to here the speech screech "GHOSTBUSTERS! HAHAHAHAHA!" and then the crappy version of the theme would kick in. Good times. Pretty sure I never beat it. Could never get past the Marshmallow man dancing on my guys.

[quote name='Spades22']I haven't heard many great things about Donkey Kong 64...so I'd say that. One of my favorite games ever :D[/QUOTE]

I think a lot of people really liked that game. I know I did.

Anyway, I'd have to say Desert Commander for the NES. We played the crap out of that game. Anyone else here ever even play it once?

Wow, overall a pretty good thread. For the life of me, I don't see how games like Shenmue and Ape Escape make this list (since generally, they review pretty well, even if they are underplayed).

My pick is a game that reviewed decently, but almost always shows up on the worst game ever lists.

State of Emergency.

Ok, this game isn't GTA. It will never be GTA. Of course, that is what people expected when it was released. Let that go now, and just look at it for what it is. It's an arcade beat em up. To this day, I'll still have non gaming friends over, and I'll put this in the system for some Last Clone Standing. 2 minutes of mindless shooting with big weapons, then repeat. After they have an hour or 2 of fun, I tell them they just played the game that many people say is the worst game ever made. They are shocked.

This game was overhyped when it came out, but for what it is, it is a very fun game, and I always feel the need to defend it in those threads (obviously, a losing cause).

Britney's Dance Beat for the PS2

I...really do like this game. It's no Bust a Groove, and it's too easy, but it's a fun take on the dance game genre and I think the Britney music really works as a dance videogame soundtrack.

I'm not a fan of Britney, don't own a single track of hers, and even though I've unlocked all the videos, artwork, and whatever in the game, I haven't even looked at it since I don't care.

But actually playing the game is fun, and it's one of those games I'll play every so often.

[quote name='Backlash']
Anyway, I'd have to say Desert Commander for the NES. We played the crap out of that game. Anyone else here ever even play it once?[/quote]
Hells yeah! I loved that game!! The grand-daddy of Advance Wars! :applause:

[quote name='Spades22']I haven't heard many great things about Donkey Kong 64...so I'd say that. One of my favorite games ever :D[/QUOTE]
To me, it represents the worst of Rare's fetch-quest platformers. The world is so huge and boring, and it's easy to get lost. I think after trudging through Banjo-Tooie (I did a guide for GI), I was done with long-ass platforming.
They were good for a time, but I think this was their curtain call. Conker BFD had worse controls, but more compelling content.

Of course, this is just my point of view.

[quote name='lordxixor101']Wow, overall a pretty good thread. For the life of me, I don't see how games like Shenmue and Ape Escape make this list (since generally, they review pretty well, even if they are underplayed).

My pick is a game that reviewed decently, but almost always shows up on the worst game ever lists.

State of Emergency.

[/quote]

I agree, I had alot of fun with that one too.

[quote name='swetooth9']manhunt[/QUOTE]

Yeah me to. Was shocked when Rockstar announced the sequel... for the WII! Guess who's gonna be getting it boy?

Also some people on here mentioned Max Chase and Voodoo Vince. Great choices. Voodoo Vince was a awesome platformer and It's unfortunate people didn't buy enough copies otherwise we would prolly see a sequel. Max Chase was so damn cheezy with the Sega CD CGI and I loved it. The car shooting scenes needed a wiimote or lightgun though.

DOA4 is also one of my faves, even though I haven't played it in awhile. I love the whole lobby deal, and despite it not being deep as VF, I still can't be convinced otherwise that It's not a great game.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']DOA4 is also one of my faves, even though I haven't played it in awhile. I love the whole lobby deal, and despite it not being deep as VF, I still can't be convinced otherwise that It's not a great game.[/QUOTE]

DOA4 is ranked 17th among all Xbox 360 game scores on [url="http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/deadoralive4
]Metacritic[/url], with an 85/100 average review score. It is now no longer allowed to be mentioned in this thread.

P.N 03 - It had that old style arcade play, like you would play to beat your high scores ala arcade.

Ninety Nine Nights - A hack n slash game I finally like, much better than DW to me.

Dead or Alive X2 - It's such a relaxing game, I can play it for hours.

Electroplankton - Same as DoA X2

[quote name='CokeCola']I love Bomberman 64 multiplayer. I hold it in higher regard than the 2-d Bombermans, and I have yet to find a better party game for my group of friends.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I thought I was the only one. Bomberman 64 was my first Bomberman game, so after I got used to playing on 3D levels in multiplayer, it felt limiting and disappointing to play on flat, 2D levels in Bomberman Generation.

Oh man, I can't believe my dumb ass forgot all about the Kingdom Under Fire games for the XBOX. They were frigging hard but man were they a lot of fun with a seriously kick ass online game.

Steel Battalion would also be on here but it wasn't hated, it was just too expensive for people to buy (though I found it to be $200 well spent when you also include the Line Of Contact expansion which fucking rocked hardcore)

Some of you still don't get it so I'll try to help. Let's say I loved The Guy Game. That would be perfect for this thread because gamers didn't like it and critics didn't like it either.

How about an opposite for you. I hate Final Fantasy 7 and I HATE Ico. Those are 2 very well received games.

For some reason after I threw out my copy of DOAX2 I suddenly had the feeling it wasn't as bad as I thought it was.

I'm pretty sure it was.

Ya see, some people clearly don't like DK64 :lol: whereas I remember it as being one of my favorite games ever. (I personally found Banjo Kazooie worse than DK64...though still enjoyable)

Another game thats one of my favorites is Diddy Kong Racing for the N64...but I bet people like that one more than DK64...

Slave Zero (DC) IGN reamed this one a new asshole back in the day, didn't do much better with other reviewers, but thankfully Sega put out demos back then, once I played it I bought the game the very same day. All in all it was probably my favorite dreamcast game, definitely my most played and replayed. Crap now I feel like playing it right now

bread's done
Back