What game do you love that most everyone else thinks is garbage?

I’ve always thought that Bullet Witch for the Xbox360 didn’t quite get the recognition it deserved.
I enjoyed this game immensely. Plus Alicia is one hot pixel chick. For me, she is the new Lara Croft. The schoolgirl outfit DLC comes highly recommended ;)

I refuse to admit Shenmue was a "bad" game, so that doesn't count.

So many people hate the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series, but I love it.

[quote name='jrutz']So many people hate the Tokyo Xtreme Racer series, but I love it.[/quote]Back in 2001 I found 2 copies of TXR2 for the Dreamcast at Walmart for $20 a piece. I bought once cause I wanted to play it. I thought it was alright, but nothing great, then I saw that eBay prices were in the high $70s. I put that thing up there right then.

I went back and bought the other copy from WalMart.

The opened one sold for $86, the sealed for $120. I never saw prices even touch what I got (and got paid for) that day (it appears to be lucky to hit $10 now). Thus, I may not like the series much, but I've got no beef with the games. ;)

I really did love all of these games:
2002 fifa world cup (PS2 my favorite second sports game of all time)
downhill domination (PS2 my favorite sports game of all time)
Fullmetal Alchemist (Ps2 Crazy anime fanboy)
Batman rise of sun tzu (GC great batman TAS beatemup)
counter strike (xbox version was one of the first greats for XBL)
brute force (Xbox fun for it's day, great multiplayer)
Ultimate spiderman (Xbox again fanboy crush on the series)

Hmmm... lemme go visit ye olde game racks.

Front Mission 3 (PSX) - Not universally hated but fairly unknown. I set a personal record of time played in one sitting with that game at around 10 hours. I only topped that once World of Warcraft stole my soul.

Tokyo Xtreme Racer Zero (PS2) - Possibly the most repetitive racing game I've ever played and one of my all time favorites. Spend hours racing around long, straight stretches of freeway, blinking your lights at opponents, racing them and repeating that process into infinity. I think the game has an ending but with something like 300 opponents to find and defeat, I've never seen it.

Cadash (arcade) - I don't even know what to put here. It's like a retarded action RPG with dated graphics and terrible/great Engrish. I loved this game as a kid in the arcades, I love it on Taito Legends 2 for the Xbox. It's not universally hated but I think you have to have played it when you were under 12 years old to still be able to like it.

[quote name='crowbb']If King's Bounty counts I will second that one too. And if we're counting that I may as well add in Heroes of Might and Magic for PS2, which was King's Bounty exactly with much improved graphics. King's Bounty is one of the two games that inspired the HOMM series on PC and I can't imagine someone hating it though.[/QUOTE]

Holy crap, I haven't thought about King's Bounty in probably 9 years. I had that game on my parent's Apple IIe and it was awesome. I had no idea it had a PS2 pseudo-port. Hot damn, I've got to find it.

[quote name='DigitalSpace']I played the hell out of Tokyo Xtreme Racer 3 on the PS2. It's too bad that Tokyo Xtreme Racer DRIFT wasn't as good.[/QUOTE]

TXR Drift 2 is much better than the first one. I found it for 14.88 at Wal-Mart a couple days ago.

Nightmare of Druaga - Though I haven't touched it in forever, I've put 30hrs into it and I absolutely love it. Has a real good atmosphere to it.

Blood Will Tell - Total surprise hit. Has a very good story, seriously. Plus Hyakimaru is a badass. Swords for hands, plus the whirl combo.

Bloodrayne 1 - Vampire chick fighting nazis + infinite bullet time. I need not say more. fuck part 2, has to be one of my most hated sequels ever.

The Bouncer - I liked the story...

Breakdown - It actually tried to be innovatie and immersive, and it did succeed in some points.

Breath of Fire DQ - Hard as nails, but I really dig the style and music. I've barely gotten that far, but Ryu getting stabbed in the knee in the beginning is a scene I won't forget.

Cubivore - I'd argue to say it's a beautiful, artistic game. Soundtrack is minimal but very relaxing.

God Hand - fuck every "professional" reviewer who hated this game. You have to get better at this game, and when you do, it's a blast. (I'm only at Stage 3)

Gungrave - One of the first games that made me see games in terms of "style", and this has loads of it.

Hunter the Reckoning series - I dig horror, wish this series was still alive.

Killer 7 - Incredibly deep political game. (Deeper then MGS?) You won't understand 90% of it, but after reading info online, I was impressed by what Suda made. Plus Con Smith, freakin awesome. \ ^ o ^ /

Phantom Crash - Had one of Xbox's best stories, and I LOVE the soundtrack to death. (I still hunt for Win a Sheep Free.)

[quote name='joshingit']Dead to Rights.[/QUOTE]
I really liked that game, and preferred it to Max Payne. It's a shame what happened with the sequel: Most of the original team left, but not until after I wrote the GI cover story on it. ;)

Bubsy
Gex
Gex 2 (to this day, I still consider this superior to Mario 64)
Gex 3 (maybe not as good as Gex 2, but the anime level was just so damn awesome)
Perfect Dark Zero
Counter-Strike
All the DS & GBA Yu-Gi-Oh games (panned by critics & by people who don't have a clue as to what YGO really is)
WWF Attitude (was fun back in the day)

Final Fantasy X-2 -- Easily the best playing Final Fantasy of all time, but nearly everyone hates on this game.

RENEGADE

Dude, I freaking loved that game. I remember beating the hell out of that fat momma with the big afro at the end (she reminded me of Mt. Fuji or whatever that giant fat Samoan 'lady' was called on GLOW - Gorgeous Ladies of Wrestling), and throwing fools off the edge of a 'cliff' into a bottomless pit aka the subway tracks. Good times.

Here's a few I can remember, though for some reason I keep thinking about games I grew to dislike/loathe/outright HATE due to the frustration but played through and beat anway:

Arcades:

A whole mess of crappy games

NES:

Gumshoe
Commando
Gauntlet

Genesis:

The Last Battle
That Horrible X-Men game

DC:

Some Gundam game

Xbox:

CounterStrike (would be the perfect multiplayer FPS if it was multiplayer offline)
Kingdom Under Fire

...and a bunch more mentioned here...

Final Fantasy 9. For some unknown reason, nobody loves that game, and no one has given me a good reason as to why they don't like it. It's always something childish, like "it's so stupid!" I suppose it's because people still retain their boners for Squall and Cloud, but I don't know. If someone can give me 3 actual, non-biased reasons as to why it's "awful," then I might be able to resist slapping that person.

[quote name='Spades22']Ya see, some people clearly don't like DK64 :lol: whereas I remember it as being one of my favorite games ever. (I personally found Banjo Kazooie worse than DK64...though still enjoyable)

Another game thats one of my favorites is Diddy Kong Racing for the N64...but I bet people like that one more than DK64...[/quote]Hold on there, bucko. You're not the only one who loved DK64. Many memories of me and my friends skewing the lyrics to insult other people we know come to mind, and they make me smile.

But besides the silly memories, that game , imo, beat the pants off of Mario 64. Controls weren't perfect, but they were good, and the depth of that game was glorious.

Diddy Kong Racing is another that I enjoy, although I am saddened deeply by the DS version.

I really enjoyed Dk64. I liked the creative level designs and missions that came with the ability to use 5 different chars, unlike Mario 64 and Banjo (the two previous good platformers on the 64). However, I tried to play this game again last year and I couldn't get anywhere b/c it seemed so dated. Ah, well.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Bad Dudes. I still beat the game every few months.

I have the TOP game of ALL TIME that EVERYONE thought was garbage(even the dev, which ended up junking the remaining unsold copies). The worst movie to game license EVER(drumroll):

ET on the Atari 2600

Of course, I was like 8-9 at the time and really was amused by ANYTHING. But, looking back, I still think it was a tolerable game for what it was. Collect parts to 'phone home', eat Reese's Pieces and get beamed up at games end. LOL

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Final Fantasy 9. For some unknown reason, nobody loves that game, and no one has given me a good reason as to why they don't like it. It's always something childish, like "it's so stupid!" I suppose it's because people still retain their boners for Squall and Cloud, but I don't know. If someone can give me 3 actual, non-biased reasons as to why it's "awful," then I might be able to resist slapping that person.[/QUOTE]

1. Zidane is a horrible character design

2. The music was less than stellar [especially compared to VIII's wonderful score]

3. The gameplay is a step back from VIII and no where near as fun as VII.

[quote name='sarausagi']1. Zidane is a horrible character design

2. The music was less than stellar [especially compared to VIII's wonderful score]

3. The gameplay is a step back from VIII and no where near as fun as VII.[/QUOTE]

That is exactly how I felt about FFIX. Granted, I still liked the game a lot and I'd never consider selling it, but compared to VII and VIII? Not even close.

Zidane isn't bad character design. I like how he's a lot happier than Cloud can ever be.

EDIT: However, I can see where people are coming from, what with the changes in gameplay that 9 had from 7 and 8. I have to say that I agree with points 2 and 3, but I still think Zidane is a better character than Cloud.

I'll never sell it either, Chacrana, but unless I can get another PS1 memory card (mine was stolen, along with my 3-year progress in FFTactics), I probably won't be playing it anytime soon.

Front Mission 4 - Got very mediocre reviews but I loved it.

Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness - I didn't love this game but I also didn't find it any better or worse than the other games in the series but this game absolutely got savaged in the press.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']I'll never sell it either, Chacrana, but unless I can get another PS1 memory card (mine was stolen, along with my 3-year progress in FFTactics), I probably won't be playing it anytime soon.[/quote]

Who the hell steals a PS1 memory card? Those bastards.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Hold on there, bucko. You're not the only one who loved DK64. Many memories of me and my friends skewing the lyrics to insult other people we know come to mind, and they make me smile.

But besides the silly memories, that game , imo, beat the pants off of Mario 64. Controls weren't perfect, but they were good, and the depth of that game was glorious.

Diddy Kong Racing is another that I enjoy, although I am saddened deeply by the DS version.[/quote]
Hahah ya the lyrics were just great in the opening scene...one of the few intros I can still recite perfectly to this day lol. Plus the multiplayer mode was good for a laugh as well. I remember getting the game on Christmas day and actually playing the game as a young kid and man...was that fun. I was so addicted to DKgames when I was like 9 that I think I dreamed playing DK64 from October till Christmas xD.

Harder to enjoy games like that when you're older, for obvious reasons :p.

Umm and ya to the one person here who likes FFIX, thats also my FAVORITE Final Fantasy I've played. Can't stand FF7. So many great characters in that game, and the graphics are actually still bearable to this day. FFIX actually was the game that probably really got me into RPGs. (I even beat it recently as well and still enjoy it...)

But...here's one game I hate that everyone loves:

TALES OF SYMPHONIA!!

Gah what an awful story, awful characters...I can't stand this game. I want to burn it, but the fact that I spent my own money on it cause everyone said it was so awesome prevents me from doing that

[quote name='whoknows']Does Advent Rising count?

If so add that to my list.[/QUOTE]
Ooh, good call. Every other outlet panned it, but I gave it an 8 for Yahoo. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed it and played all the way through. When you get the Force-like powers it really takes off, but it was even decent before that.

The million-dollar contest was so FUBAR'd, but at least I got 2 free games out of the deal.

[quote name='ViolentLee']Ooh, good call. Every other outlet panned it, but I gave it an 8 for Yahoo. It wasn't perfect, but I really enjoyed it and played all the way through. When you get the Force-like powers it really takes off, but it was even decent before that.

The million-dollar contest was so FUBAR'd, but at least I got 2 free games out of the deal.[/QUOTE]

I really, really wanted to like Advent Rising given how much I heard about it having a great story and fun mechanics but the glitches totally removed me from it. In the first hour or so alone I came across 3 different glitches that stopped the game dead in its tracks. Is the PC version any better as far as glitches go?

Hm, I don't really know..

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of people disliked Deus Ex: Invisible War, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and it's one of my favorite games (not as good as the original of course, but anyway). That's about all I can think of.

Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball..having 5 Bill Laimbeers is pretty and funny and the fact that his face alone looks like it takes up half of the space on the cartridge got me playing hahaha

[quote name='Lobsterjohnson']Who the hell steals a PS1 memory card? Those bastards.[/quote]I don't know, but I hope the person who did it burns in hell. I mean, I would've rather had the games stolen instead of the memory cards. I nearly cried when I realized what happened.

YEARS of gameplay, gone. FF8/9, FFTactics (I had finally gotten Cloud to a respectable level, plus I had all the other hidden characters), Bust a Groove 1 and 2.....ugh, I still can't believe it.

Spades, nice to see another FF9 fan. I liked Tales for the battle system, but the story......meh.

Rise of the Dragone (Sega-CD)
Monster Truck Madness (N64)

and....to top it all off....I really did enjoy Ground Zero Texas (Sega-CD) in all of its live action glory hahaha

[quote name='integralsmatic']Bill Laimbeer's Combat Basketball..having 5 Bill Laimbeers is pretty and funny and the fact that his face alone looks like it takes up half of the space on the cartridge got me playing hahaha[/QUOTE]

QFT I loved that game!

Advent Rising and the Yugioh games are added to my list. Advent rising was not amazing but i kept on playing it expecting it to get a lot better. It was interesting to say the least.

[quote name='DiscoDuck8k']Hm, I don't really know..

If I'm not mistaken, a lot of people disliked Deus Ex: Invisible War, but I enjoyed it quite a bit and it's one of my favorite games (not as good as the original of course, but anyway). That's about all I can think of.[/QUOTE]
I loved that. Gave it a 9 on Xbox. Actually playing through the PC version for the first time.

[quote name='linkpwns']Warcraft 3...

Rival Turf for the SNES
Pokemon[/quote]

This thread is for games that people think are garbage. Not good games that you play.

We should have a thread that's the opposite "What games does everyone else play that you think is garbage?"

That would just turn into a flamewar though :lol:

bread's done
Back