what game do you think will win Game of the year

[quote name='Ryuukishi']This this this, forever.

But I'm with CoffeeEdge... there is no official Game of the Year, only individual magazines and websites that give awards, and games that use it as a marketing slogan. So it's kind of a strange question to ask.[/QUOTE]

Well yeah, it's all just subjective opinion.

But the correct answer is still Mass Effect 2.

So,everyone just keeps saying the same game so I'm going throw a game out there that deserves honor Naruto Ultimate Ninja 2.!Yeah I said it.Haven't played Mass Effect 2 but,looking forward to.

God, this Spike VGAs shit it just painful to look at. They've got PB Winterbottom in the runnings for "best independent game." Just what the fuck. It was published by 2K Games, for crying out loud! "Independent" does not mean "quirky" god dammit.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The nominees are up on the VGA site.[/QUOTE]

Christ almighty. Am I reading into this too much, or does anyone actually view the stupid Spike VGAs, one of the most shameless corporate rigged advertisement-posing-as-an-award-show shams in the history of this medium, as a legitimate award show, and is it actually the first thing that comes to some people's minds when they hear "Game of the Year," as though the fucking Spike VGAs have any actual authority or integrity?

The Spike VGAs are a two-hour advertisement, people. Stop watching that shit. If you want the closest the industry has to a legitimate awards show, then look at The Academy of Interactive Arts & Sciences' yearly awards. The Spike VGAs are utter, utter bullshit.

if the goty anywhere is cod ill shoot myself, i mean if your going to go for a multiplayer shooter with massive appeal at least do halo, which is a better game. I haven't played ME2, i have it and i plan to play it over christmas break. so far out of what I have played ima have to say borderlands (that was this year right??) it may not be perfect, but it was a new ip and had alot of cool ideas and was reaaally fun imo.

Battlefield Bad Company 2 is my game of the year. Came out in March and I am still playing it. Easily the best FPS console multiplayer out to date.

It's funny that people are hating on others picks for GOTY. It is all in the eyes of the beholder. Personally...
- I played Mass Effect 2. To me, it was just a good game, nothing more. After you get through the first hour or so, the rest is just the same type fetch quest (get this person, do their loyalty quest, repeat) until the end. I got bored midway through and struggle until the end.
- I played Red Dead Redemption. Flat out overrated. It was just Grand Theft Auto with midwest paint and hunting. You start off with a fairly good story at the beginning but it just tanks when you hit Mexico. Add in that multiplayer was just A) boring and B) broken. It is why that game is nowhere close to GOTY IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The nominees are up on the VGA site.[/QUOTE]

Fable 3 nominated for Best Xbox 360 game AND Best RPG... bwahahahaha

Here's some other great categories

Best Adapted Game; nominees include Spider-man Shattered Dimentions and Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2... yeah, I'm sure

Best Performance by a Human Male; Sam Worthington as Alex Mason (CoD:BO), correct me if I'm wrong but hasn't just about every review gone out of its way to comment on how bad he was in this game?

Yeah, these awards are a joke, plain and simple.

For me it's a very close race between ME2, RDR, and Halo Reach. I had such a blast with each of them... I guess I might have to go with ME2 because it's the one whose sequel I'm most looking forward to. That seems like a fair way to judge.

Assuming this is strictly 360 and ignoring the VGA's, there are two possible answers:

Mass Effect 2
Red Dead Redemption

End of story. Every major outlet will pick one of these two games. Personally I pick Red Dead. The combination of the realism of the world with the scope of the story elevates it beyond everything else. I think Mass Effect 2 is overrated because it gets too much credit for making changes versus the first game. If you ignored the first game and scored the game on it's own merits it would as highly rated (but at the same time I can still see how people would pick it). If you want to make a top five for consideration, you couldn't possibly leave these off. There are too many other games that could also be considered to round out the top five for any other games to win. They fall into two other categories:

Great games, but not spectacular (no one should question putting them on/off a top 5):
Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
Battlefield: Bad Company 2
Bioshock 2
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Halo Reach
NBA 2K11

Great flawed or niche games (people may question putting these on the list, but others will vehemently defend them):
Alan Wake
Bayonetta
Darksiders
DJ Hero 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Limbo
Need for Speed: Most Wanted
NHL 11
Pacman CE DX
Rock Band 3
Super Meatboy
Vanquish

It's really an amazing collection of games when you sit there and look at them all. People that pick Splinter Cell, Final Fantasy, Enslaved or Fable III can't possibly be judging all of these subjectively. There's no way you could play all of these games and put those games up with the others. They have too many flaws and don't do anything great enough to push them into the discussion. Note that this is in terms of what will win, not what people think should win based on their personal opinions.

[quote name='starmask2k3']I think it should be

Enslaved

What do you should be[/QUOTE]

I honestly enjoyed Enslaved just as much as Mass Effect 2. They are equals IMO. I am seriously considering buying another copy just to support this kind of game. Absolutely wonderful.
Though I have to give the edge to Mass Effect 2 since its longer and has tons of replay value.

subjectively2.png

inigomontoyat.jpg

The people that said FFXIII must be joking. That trash doesn't deserve to be in this conversation.

I've only played a little bit of both ME2 and RDR, but I give the nod so far to RDR. It's just FUN. ME2 maybe (probably?) has a better story, but RDR is everything I want a great sandbox game to be, in a way that the GTAs never were to me.

[quote name='CoffeeEdge']

[/QUOTE]

I've been at work 14 hours and was typing in between queries. Fix whatever mistake I made for me. You pictures are flying over my head right now.

Nothing special here, my vote goes to either Mass Effect 2 or RDR; with RDR having a little edge over ME2.

Sleeper hit of the year should go to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West.

[quote name='jkanownik']I've been at work 14 hours and was typing in between queries. Fix whatever mistake I made for me. You pictures are flying over my head right now.[/QUOTE]

"Subjective: relating to or determined by the mind as the subject of experience; characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind"

In other words, you can't say that someone can't subjectively think that Enslaved or Fable III is the best game of the year, because subjective judgments are entirely within the mind of the person making the judgment, based on what they personally think. If they perceive Enslaved to be GOTY in their mind, independent on some supposed factual qualification that there were better games this year (which is nonsense), then that is the very definition of subjective. You probably meant to say "objective."

[quote name='keithp']The people that said FFXIII must be joking. That trash doesn't deserve to be in this conversation.[/QUOTE]

I mean FFXIII wasn't the best game in the series, but it's the only game I bought this year that I don't regret paying full price for, that's why it's my GOTY.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Mass Effect 2. Think it should win, and think it will win a lot of them.[/QUOTE]
110% agreed, loved the game, and can't wait for me 3. im afraid if it comes down to sci-fi awards halo reach will take it though.

I forgot, Bioshock 2..I love the series. I hadn't played it much since between reach & black ops released but played it today for awhile and it was quite fun. It's different and I enjoy the game even after loving the first one. They (2k-Marin) have shown continued support via updates/patches, dlc and such.

I said to myself that Mass Efect 2 was earlier in the year and I still stand by that. Black Ops is decent and that's about it. Enslaved is pretty good, but not GOTY by any stretch (Just like Dead to Rights Retribution). Reach was good and a nice swan song, but not GOTY material. Fallout New Vegas is a retread (but a good one).

ME2 simply had the most polish (story, graphics, sound, control scheme, etc) and innovation (combined). Other games had a lot of one or the other, but not combined. ME2 is the game that games like Alpha Protocol are trying to be.....what other games will it influence ?

If we're talking about the Spike awards, they will probably pick something like Madden (oh wait, they did that already).

just my .02 cents...

DDD-

The simple fact that it's an awards show on Spike should be the first indicator that this is a crock.

And who is really all that excited about seeing the premier trailer of Resistance 3? Not I, says me.

[quote name='metaphysicalstyles']The simple fact that it's an awards show on Spike should be the first indicator that this is a crock.

And who is really all that excited about seeing the premier trailer of Resistance 3? Not I, says me.[/QUOTE]

Wasn't there a rumor that Uncharted 3 may be revealed on the show? Or has that been changed to Resistance 3 (which I also don't care for).

[quote name='Ryuukishi']They're also going to reveal BioWare's mystery Mass Effect spinoff project.[/QUOTE]

from what little I've seen about it, it's apparently a MMO FPS hybrid. Don't quote me on that.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']Wasn't there a rumor that Uncharted 3 may be revealed on the show? Or has that been changed to Resistance 3 (which I also don't care for).[/QUOTE]

I only read about the Resistance 3 premier. Uncharted 3 would be a pleasant surprise though. Too bad I won't be watching.

I'd vote for Fallout New Vegas. It was everything Fallout 3 should have been despite the crippling bugs. Even with a different engine it felt like a Fallout. Not that I disliked 3.

But anyway what will win? I'd say Mass Effect 2.

[quote name='crowbb']I'd vote for Fallout New Vegas. It was everything Fallout 3 should have been despite the crippling bugs. Even with a different engine it felt like a Fallout. Not that I disliked 3.

But anyway what will win? I'd say Mass Effect 2.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='keithp']It's the same engine.[/QUOTE]

Read that again. I think you missed something.

bread's done
Back