What games blew your mind the first time you saw/played them?

[quote name='Number83']Beleive it or not, Alterd Beast on the Sega Genesis. I remember saying to my friend, it will never get any better than this.[/QUOTE]

Sort of an aside to this...

Back in like 1990, my friend's older brother had a Genesis with what seemed like tons of games (probably 15). Thing is, he was a dick and wouldn't let us play. At most, we could watch him play. Unless he wasn't home. If he was out, we would sneak into his room, carefully take the cartridges off the shelf and play them... sneakily I guess. At any rate, one day we were illegally playing Altered Beast when my friend revealed that Sega was working on a 32 bit system. The only catch was, it would require a different type of TV to display the graphics. At the time, the notion seemed perfectly reasonable.

To this day, I don't really know if he was bullshitting me or if there was some insanely early press about the Saturn that included mention of a new monitor. I miss those days :(

The first game I can remember blowing my mind was Super Mario World for the SNES.

I remember I went into a Funcoland and they had the SNES set up with a SMW demo playing. The first thing that caught my eye were the bright colors. They were nothing like the dull colors we got in the NES days. My next thought was: holy crap, it looks just like a cartoon!

[quote name='Number83']Beleive it or not, Alterd Beast on the Sega Genesis. I remember saying to my friend, it will never get any better than this.[/QUOTE]

There used to be a 3-DO half hour infomercial that would play all the time and I remember thinking that about the games on that system. :lol:

I think the first game, to blow my mind that I can remember was SFII at the arcades just because it was so much different than anything else. Another milestone would have to be the premiers of MGS, MGS2 and MGS4, just because those always took their games to the next level on those respective systems (plust Kojima knows how to take things beyond normal conventions). And FFVII because it was my first PS1 game and my first JRPG that totally engaged me more than anything before that (played in my brothers dorm room, bought my PS1 and 7 as soon as I could afterward).

Another game that blew my mind 12 ways from sunday: Secrets of Evermore for the SNES. I haven't played A Link to the Past at that time, so when I played that game, I was more than impressed. I remember spending a month or two looking for that game when I got to the US.

Super Mario Bros. (NES) First game I played
Sonic the Hedgehog 2 (Genesis)
Super Mario World (SNES)
EarthBound (SNES) I rented it at least 10 times before buying it
Chrono Trigger (SNES) I rented it enough Blockbuster let me keep it one day. Not joking.
Mario 64 (N64)
Final Fantasy 7 (PS1) First time I saw the opening cutscene... just wow. It doesn't hold up, but back then my mind was blown.
Final Fantasy 8 (PS1) It looked better than 7...
Sonic Adventure (Dreamcast)
Powerstone (Dreamcast)
Katamari Damacy (PS2) Most of this system didn't blow my mind, but this game always stands out.
Halo (Xbox) Played it in nearly-dead condition in a hospital the year it came out. Was pretty damn amazing, but it might've been the amount of drugs I had pumped into me, or the fact it wasn't another IV
Dead Rising (360) Zombies... it was awesome.
Metal Gear Solid 4 (PS3) I sometimes refer to it as a movie in conversations on accident.

Super Mario 64
Final Fantasy VII
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 4
Valkyria Chronicles
Grand Theft Auto III
Metal Gear Solid 2 Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid
Jet Grind Radio
Shenmue
Silent Hill 2
Evolution - The World of Sacred Device
Chrono Trigger
Final Fantasy IV
The Legend of Zelda Wind Waker
Ratchet & Clank
Starfox Adventures
Animal Crossing
Freedom Fighters
Donkey Kong Country
Starfox
Starfox 64
The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Uncharted Drake's Fortune
Uncharted 2 Among Thieves

well, coming to mind in no particular order...

Final Fantasy X, that opening sucked me in so well
Metal Gear Solid 2 demo that came with zone of the enders... oh yeah!
Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (do I need to say more?)
Super Metroid, wow...
and I am gonna say silent hill 2, that was the last video game to make me jump, not to mention, I still wonder how you can jump into so many freak holes that your light cant make it to the bottom of to see and still survive!

Their have been many games that I've been impressed with but their has only been one game in my life have made my friends jaws drop to the ground. That game being UNREAL!!! I didn't even have the play the game. Just letting them watch the flyby loop left them in a state of shock.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcTVFiw60oc

-DarkLegacy

I have to say the God of War series. I couldnt believe the graphics the PS2 was putting out when I first played these. Then the gameplay, story, huge bosses, gore, etc. just made me keep playing till I beat the games. I cant wait for part 3, but I probably wont be blown away with it as much as the first two as I expect those kind of graphics from my PS3. But I still look forward to the story and bosses.

[quote name='letmeinnow']----Portal----
I played it non-stop start to finish.
It was amzaing.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'd never played a game that had such a simple concept, yet was so amazingly fun. Everybody plays puzzle games, but the fact that this one had more 'life' than just a standard 2D puzzle game made it all the more awesome. Still one of the best games I've ever played.

Also, Uncharted kind of blew me away. I had been out of the video game 'loop' for so long, that by the time I played Uncharted on my HDTV, I was stunned.

I felt the same way, then an hour later after we beat it, we went back to the NES.

Super Castlevania 4 - the part of level 4 with the rotating background, thats the point when I knew video games were going to keep evolving, that the slow transition from 8 to 16 bit would be the last time a generation shift would take a long time.
Final Fantasy II (IV) - the first game with a deep story I played, try to turn it on and not get fired up by the opening music, Uematsu made that game
Super Mario Bros. - I remember playing it and getting the flower but never understanding what it did....until my brother broke the golden rule and pressed the "b" button (we were used to Pac man and its control pad only use) and Mario Spit a fireball. I dont think Ive ever been more impressed with a video game ever
Super Mario III - possibly the only "perfect" game ever, not my favorite game ever, but the game is ageless and all kinds of replayable
Resident Evil - (My thoughts playing it) let me take a right, oh, thats a nice statute in this blue room, theres nothing to do in here, this hall way has nothing, what kind of game is this, when do I get to........HOLY S**T!!! WHERE DID THOSE DOGS COME FROM, QUICK, RUN, (looking at my fried who was watching) Did you just crap yourself? (his response) No, but I may have pissed a little. first game to ever scare me
TMNT Arcade Game - when you hit level 3, already impresed by how it looks like the cartoon and then you fight 2 gigantic bosses on screen together at the same time with 4 turtles. Never had seen anything to like it.
Final Fantasy VI - favorite game of all time, watching the walk to Narshe during the opening credits, the masterpiece began, death of Aeries in FFVII gave me an ermotional response, but damn did I care for the Celes and Locke thing, first time I got seriously attached to a video game story
Resident Evil IV - Simply Stunning looking, one of the best look games in history, the curve is still catching up
Final Fantasy VII - Opening Cinema and Music, nuff said
Final Fantasy XII - same thing, the demo that plays when you start it up, the crystal theme, then into game scenes, and then right into the series theme, impressive is not a strong enough word

bread's done
Back