What games make you REALLY nostalgic?

Reality's Fringe

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
They don't need to be the greatest [though they can be], just inspire fuzzy thoughts.

1. Secret of Evermore- Thought it was part of the Secret of Mana games, but was still not let down. I really got into it the summer before I had to start Middle School. I'll never forget some of those breezey summer days playing the game with all my windows open...

DKC2- A game my sister and I played a lot. We don't see much of each other anymore, but we'll always have the fight against K-Rool.

More to come.

Everytime I see/hear the original NES Contra title screen, it makes me love it all again. I dont know, I just love that game and remember playing it sooooooooooooo long ago. Same goes for the title screen and song of the original NES Zelda.

Hmmm...
Video Pinball on the 2600... I played that thing to death.
Zelda II
Castlevania II
Final Fantasy II (US)
Super Metroid... though that's less nostalgic and more "damn that is a great game".

Shark Shark
Night Stalker (my grandmother tried desperately to teach me to play but I was 4 and terrified of the robots and poisonous bats)
LoZ: Link's Awakening (first handheld game I ever beat)
ALL of the TMNT games for NES and SNES (my cousin was crazy for these and we would always play co-op, or I would kick his ass)
Super Mario Bros 3 (all the neighborhood girls would gather round and play until it got dark and our parents would come looking for us)

EVO for the SNES. I liked that game so much that I bought Seventh Cross Evolution for the Dreamcast in the hopes that it would be as good despite the horrible reviews. The reviews were right.

The top most nostalgic games for me would have to be (in no particular order): Stinger, Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Earthbound, Super Mario World, DKC 1,2,3, FF7, Civ 2. GTA3, Day of Defeat, and Mario Kart 64. These games elicit more memories for me then most other games I've played. Tons more I didn't list as well.

Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy) would do it for me. Before I played that game I had never sat down with a RPG/Adventure game before...just a bunch of side scrollers. I remember borrowing it from a friend at school..getting to the part where you save the girl from the vampire mansion..and asking him if I was near the end. lol.

Super Mario Bros 3 NES
Super Mario World SNES
Grand Theft Auto 3 PS2

and the most nostalgic making game for me is...

ZOMBIES ATE MY NEIGHBORS~! SNES I have gotten really far in this game one time EVER,when I got to the Mansion with giant Ants or Spiders or whatever. But now that I got a Game Genie I plan on beating the game for the first time EVER.

TMNT 4 Turtles in Time, played that game so much when I was a kid. I can still do a full run through without getting bored here and there.

I have way too many good memories playing these old NES games:

Adventures in the Magic Kingdom (and naming the main character 'ass' or 'shit')
Bugs Bunny Birthday Blowout
Castlevania 3
Donkey Kong Classics
Festers Quest
R.C. Pro AM
Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Super Mario Bros 1
Maniac Mansion
Marble Madness
Snow Bros
Mega Man 2

..and that's just a fraction of my NES nostalgia--not even getting into the SNES and N64 days.

just thinking about it reminds me of how many games I have yet to add to my collection :cry::cry::cry: Some day I'll own them all

Tecmo Bowl, Any SHMUP, Sega and Capcom arcade games, Revenge of Shinobi (I had a rythm / pattern for each level, where I knew here all powerups and enemies were. I could finish every level in the same timeframe within a second. I tried it out a year ago and hadn't lost more than a step almost twenty years later.

Old Lucasarts adventure games: Sam and Max, Monkey Island Series, Loom, Full Throttle, etc. It was a different era back then.

Pretty much anything on and before the PS1/N64 era... those were the good old days when there weren't 100 games coming out each month and there was plenty of free time for gaming.

Metroid Prime and Splinter Cell for whatever reason... good times.

Also, Mega Twins to a lesser extent. Though that game is so shitty now.

Games that I'm nostalgic for where the ones that pushed the envelope technology wise or were just ground breakers for their time.

Such as The 7th Guest... holy crap I thought I had died and gone to heaven, it was soooooooo "lifelike"

DOOM, My jaw just dropped at the end of the first level and being able to see an enemy (Imp) THRU a wall?!?!?! Holy crap man!!! WOW!!!! That was just nuts for the time. Oh and the fact that the shareware fit on 1 single 1.44mb floppy blew my mind (or was it 2 floppies?).

Legend of Zelda, had a sleep over at a friends house when he first got the game and we were just GLUED to the friggen screen!!! It was the very first game that just HELD our attention. We stayed up all night long playing it (which back then probably meant we played if from like 3 in the afternoon to like 9pm lol ). I remember I was getting worried we might hurt the game because the cart was so warm :)

Final Fantasy III (SNES / US) also holds a dear part of my heart. It was I believe my junior/senior year in HS kinda the time when games were now more 'childish' and we needed to get ready to think of college. I didn't think a "lowly" SNES game could keep my attention, but I was presently surprised by this one. Also really surprised I actually talked myself into spending almost what was it.. $80 for it at Babbages! :(

Ah.. memories, I could bore you with more stories if you wanted.

NES:
Castlevania II: Simon's Quest (My first video game ever. Greatest NES music, in my opinion.)
Super Mario Bros (Sealed the deal. Santa had definitely brought the right console to me.)
Faxanadu (I'm not sure why, but I feel like I'm the only one who truly loves this game.)

N64:
WCW vs NWO: World Tour (I didn't own this, my buddy did. We were VERY good at it.)

Arcade-wise, stuff like Killer Instinct, MK 2 and 3, SSFII Turbo, Soul (Blade) Edge...

I just remember going to the arcade in the mall putting a quarter up and waiting my turn to play...I also remember the day I sat on KI for about 2 hours, unbeaten by either a person or the AI - my best $.50 cents EVER.

For the PC, Defender of the Crown, and the original Links LS, Grim Fandango, Warcraft II, and the original Quake. We spent hours in my dorm on Quake...

Consoles... NHLPA 93, NHL 94 - I put more hours into those than ANYTHING, but also stuff like FFIII, Chrono Trigger, and my all time fave - Golgo 13!

Oh man... what a question.

When I was younger, and before I moved to Richmond, my best friend and I grew up on NES and then SNES. So all the major releases or just awesome games, I played with him. Just thinking about it all makes it hard to choose any, because there are so many.

For now, I'll go with Excite Bike, Punch-Out, the entire DKC series, and Mega Man X. We played the hell out of those games.

The music ALONE in Secret of Mana, Mega Man X (particularly the intro stage track), and Super Metroid all give me flashbacks of my childhood playing amazing SNES games in my bedroom. :D

Also, playing some of the classic tracks on Mario Kart Wii brought back memories of playing the SNES/N64 Mario Karts with my Dad when I was a pup.

I seem to have alot of nostalgia for multi-player N64 games. Four player,Goldeneye, The Various WCW(world tour and revenge) and WWF(Wrestlemania and No Mercy) wrestling games made by THQ, and then Perfect Dark. And also Pokemon Red/Blue for the gameboy. These games came out during 1997-2000 ....the whole of my middle school era : 6th - 8th grade. Those days were great, All off us in the neighborhood would get together after school, watch dragonball z, play some football or Basketball outside ..and then get our multiplayer game on(since there was almost always more then four of us the losers had to give up the controllers, so the games were always competitive) . I can't imagine how many countless hours during those three years we played those games, How many fights and arguments broke out, how many broken controllers we went through. After that high school came around,and jobs, girls, driving,drinking etc. took place, instead of all the game playing. It became very hard to get people together to have multi-player sessions like before.Sure there was smash bros for the gamecube which on occasion we would all get together and play. And then xbox live and halo2 came close to reviving the multi-player age, as almost all of my friends played that game also, but online gaming is still not the same as being in the room with a group of friends, talking trash in person. And I know those types of days will never happen again. As being in College now its even harder to get people together to play games, I just purchased Brawl, and have got 4 people over on three separate occasions. It's just sitting there collecting dust now.

Lots of stuff that already has been listed.

MegaMan 2- Always seeing if i could pass the game by taking different paths to beat it. Obviously the top notch soundtrack

Mario Kart Snes- Basically burned a summer playing this with my friend up the street.

Plenty of sport titles NHLPA 93- Friends and I play the soundtrack on a boombox now when we are playing street hockey outside. Tecmo Bowl- Using LT to stop everyone. Bad News Baseball- Dont know why but this baseball game was always a good time with friends. Bunny umpires, what was tecmo thinking :)

Tetris on the GB-For the mere thought that I saved up all my money as a kdi to to buy one only to have my dad always borrow it from me. Dr Mario NES-For brutal head to head matches against my dad.

Game and Watch games were the ones essential to my gamer roots. The OG ones, not the gba carts. Donkey Kong Hockey, Mario Soda Factory, Snoopy Tennis, Goldfish. just to name a few. Hand eye coordination training since i was 4. Everytime I got to visit my grandma in san fransisco we woud go to chinatown and I would get a new one. Man I miss those days.

NES
Punch-Out
Mario 1-3
Double Dragon II
Mega Man II
Uncle Festers Quest
Wrath of Black Manta

N64
All of the wrestling games

I was raised with video games at my fingertips.

Duck Hunt - I remember being a wee munchkin and getting so frustrated with those darned birds I'd point the gun against the screen just to cheat.

Duke Nukem, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D - My little brother and I would spend our days glued to the computer. I'd be sitting in the computer chair and he'd be next to me in one of the dinning room chairs. Hitting the space bar at the strip club NEVER got old. Never.

I just recently went about looking for a lot of the Playstation games I used to have. I missed them all so much I thought it would be neat to find them, buy them and play them again.

Soul Reaver: Legacy of Kain, Casper, Clock Tower 1 and 2, Abe's Odysee, Jade Cocoon, etc.

Gah, there are just so many games I played growing up that just bring about a fuzzy warm feeling. Too many to list.

I sure to miss those lazy days at mom's, my brother would be at the computer and I'd be in the bean bag chair and we'd be playing some game or other together for hours on end.

And you know what, Everquest and the 5 years it consumed will always hold a special place in my heart. Remembering that game is like remembering long lost memories.

Street Fighter games on the SNES. I really miss those days, but its good to see Capcom its making part IV and super street fighter ii HD < I want to play this more though.

bread's done
Back