What gaming site has a Good layout?

SpreadTheWord

CAGiversary!
We've all heard people say "I don't go to Gamespot/IGN/1UP/othersite because their page layout is a mess". But I've never heard someone say they visit a site because of the design.

So, what what sites out there have a good page layout or design?

Maybe this is something Cheapy can take into account if when he redesigns CAG.

Honestly, I don't think I've ever seen one with a GOOD layout. GameSpot maybe comes closest for me, and I can't stand 1Up's, and often don't go there because of its design.

Gamespot has the Best layout and organization of any mainstream Gaing site.

The Gamespot forums are really well organized and each game has its own forum that is shared with the forums at gamefaqs.

None of them are any good. Maybe gamesarefun.com or the-magicbox.com, in that they are just straight out news with no bullshit.

i usually check gamespot for news as its all right there on a single page... ign i go to for reviews i guess just because ive been going there for 10 years

Any site with pop-up / take-over ads cannot have a good design.

I used to go to Gamespot and IGN all the time, but the ads just made it laborious. Now I just go to Kotaku or Joystiq a couple times a day for news, and gamerankings.com once a week for review compilations.

IGN was good back in the pre-insider days. Now it's crap. 1up is definately the worst by far(when you do not take into account ads, then obviously ign.)

Gamespot isn't bad, but I never visit them for various other reasons.

I guess when you get right down to it I only use game blogs as my form of news these days, and EGM & podcasts for reviews/previews. Blog layouts are generally made by designers who understand the effectiveness of whitespace and simplicity. Kinda scary that I get my gaming info from an AOL owned site(joystiq)..never thought I'd say that.

[quote name='Surferflames']Kinda scary that I get my gaming info from an AOL owned site(joystiq)..never thought I'd say that.[/quote]

Kinda scary that we work for AOL, but we aim to please! :)

IGN has way too many links on any given page while they have a lot of dead links around the site, as well. 1up has strange problems where articles won't load at times and I'm not a fan of their how they display images (and the inability to display their screens on other sites without rehosting it). GameSpot just shoves all of their content into that small amount of space. None of those problems are bad enough that I won't visit them, but I prefer using another site to get the news that those sites post.

Unless I have a direct link, I can never find anything at 1UP. Every time I go to their main pages, it looks like what I'm looking at is liek 3 weeks old.

Really, the blogs have the best layout for no-nonsense info. IGN is pretty solid. I never really go to gamespot.

For those of you complaining about ads, why are you not using Firefox w/ AdBlockPlus to do your webbrowsing?

IGN and 1UP are probably the two worst gaming sites in terms of layout. Gamespot's is decent, but difficult to traverse and search for past articles. I really like Kotaku/Joystiq's layout. Gamesarefun and the-magicbox are both good as well.

Firefox + adblock + noscript = teh win for surfing these moronically designed and monetized (or at least attempted) sites. I don't surf to any sites I don't "know" about without using Firefox first. If it's not an onerous site, I'll use Safari thereafter.

I'm a big gamespot fan, and have been for the past 3 years. I like it's layout and all the features they offer for free. I'm going to buy a membership once E3 or something compels me to do so. If they have a Halo 3 marathon before it comes out that can only be viewed by subscribers, that may push me.

2nd the Firefox + Adblock Plus suggestion. But you also gotta get filterset.G. Browse with that setup for a couple days and you'll never go back. If you have Adblock Plus w/o that filterset, trust me - go grab it now.

NoScript is good but OTOH can be annoying if you tend to be absent minded (like me) and forget to allow sites and then scratch your head wondering why something or other doesn't seem to be working.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']IGN has way too many links on any given page while they have a lot of dead links around the site, as well. [/QUOTE]

IGN does seem to have a lot of dead links. Links to archived mailbags tend to be particular prone to the problem.

I'll put another vote in for Joystiq and Kotaku. I like how they update more thru-out the day, so they usually got the news before the other major sites. I do visit IGN maybe once or twice a week, but that's mainly for movie/dvd news.

For primarily Nintendo-related news, I like 4 color rebellion.

I like Joystiq's layout. Even Kotaku's layout is fine, despite me disliking their content.

Blog style layouts are my favorite, I guess.

bread's done
Back