What happened to the Two HDMI outputs?

6 or 8 usbs
2 hdmi
3-4 ethernet ports.

at 2005 e3

now we get 1 hdmi 4 usb and 1 ethernet port

but it also isnt exactly 800-900 bucks either. like critics were saying.

the 499 one you get even LESS.

ps3liebackend0fg.jpg

http://www.ukresistance.co.uk/2006/05/ps3-lie-watch-evidence-updated.html

I lolled

Anyone who actually believed that there would be two ports on the production model fell into Sony's trap of blowing smoke up your ass.

Honestly, did anyone plan on using the dual HDMI output? I'd imagine if it was still included about 99% of the people buying the PS3 would never make any use of it.

[quote name='Buster Rod G']Honestly, did anyone plan on using the dual HDMI output? I'd imagine if it was still included about 99% of the people buying the PS3 would never make any use of it.[/QUOTE]

Just like how they did the F355 thing for GT3 with 3 PS2's and i-Wire even though almost NO one would use it? What's your point?

[quote name='Ivanhoe']6 or 8 usbs
2 hdmi
3-4 ethernet ports.

at 2005 e3

now we get 1 hdmi 4 usb and 1 ethernet port

but it also isnt exactly 800-900 bucks either. like critics were saying.

the 499 one you get even LESS.[/QUOTE]

I fail to see the need for 2hdmi, 4ethernet ports, 6/8 usb ports. Less than 5% of gamers would fully use all these features. Why leave useless stuff in when its not needed yet cost more to produce? I swear people will b*tch and whine about everything. Had they left everything intact it would raise the price further and people would STILL complain.

[quote name='Sarang01']Just like how they did the F355 thing for GT3 with 3 PS2's and i-Wire even though almost NO one would use it? What's your point?[/QUOTE]

My point is, why do we need to whine about something missing that no one was going to use anyway?

I think it's more how the current PS3 was 'nerfed' compared to the one shown before. Methinks they did that so that people would abstain from their 360 and wait on the PS3.

I would have never used two HDMI outputs anyways. I plan to buy the PS3 for games, not for it to be my home theater system.

[quote name='doubledown']Or for the CORE, what happened to ONE HDMI port?[/quote]

that right there takes away any value they are trying to add with the whole blu ray rules your world idea.

i know people are claiming to only be interested in the games, but cmon for $400 and an alleged next gen optical format you don't want it crippled right out of the box. it's like having the tits with no ass...hmmm on second thought, i might be able to live with that

[quote name='doubledown']Or for the CORE, what happened to ONE HDMI port?[/QUOTE]

The poor person version doesn't have HDMI..

I gotta say I'm not really suprised by this either, most HDTV's didn't even have dual HDMI inputs until just recently and I'm sure the majority of HDTV owners don't have dual HDMI inputs right now on their TVs. Though I think not including one on the less expensive version is sort of a low blow because it won't allow you to upgrade the system with a better video output (for example if you bought the 360 core you can sitll pay the extra $40 for the HDTV cables).

[quote name='gokou36']I fail to see the need for 2hdmi, 4ethernet ports, 6/8 usb ports. Less than 5% of gamers would fully use all these features. Why leave useless stuff in when its not needed yet cost more to produce? I swear people will b*tch and whine about everything. Had they left everything intact it would raise the price further and people would STILL complain.[/quote]

I think the point is the fact that Sony claimed these features would be there. Why promise features you know you aren't going to deliver on because there is either no market for it or the cost of it makes it unviable?

[quote name='Genocidal']I think the point is the fact that Sony claimed these features would be there. Why promise features you know you aren't going to deliver on because there is either no market for it or the cost of it makes it unviable?[/QUOTE]

I know what the point of this thread is about and I know why it was even created. This is all business/marketing ploy, nothing was *guaranteed*. Like I said, its not wise to leave functions in that won't be used when you can cut corners to make them cheaper. Put yourself in *their* position and i'm sure you would have done the same thing. I can't explain the cheaper version without HDMI , maybe we'll get more explanation. E3 seems to unleash the fanboys from their cages. I bet the people that are whining don't even have 1 HDTV, let alone 2.

[quote name='gokou36']I know what the point of this thread is about and I know why it was even created. This is all business/marketing ploy, nothing was *guaranteed*. Like I said, its not wise to leave functions in that won't be used when you can cut corners to make them cheaper. Put yourself in *their* position and i'm sure you would have done the same thing. I can't explain the cheaper version without HDMI , maybe we'll get more explanation. E3 seems to unleash the fanboys from their cages. I bet the people that are whining don't even have 1 HDTV, let alone 2.[/QUOTE]

I see, so its okay if Sony were to show trailers for games that look like MGS4 and then deliver games that look like ET on the 2600. Its only marketing, nothing was *guaranteed.*

And people wonder why Sony is playing catchup...

[quote name='nixts']I see, so its okay if Sony were to show trailers for games that look like MGS4 and then deliver games that look like ET on the 2600. Its only marketing, nothing was *guaranteed.*

And people wonder why Sony is playing catchup...[/QUOTE]

Don't compare apples to oranges. The features they took out will not affect many people. Now with your example, it would affect everyone, and do you honestly think it would sell well? Sony isn't playing catch up, they've won the last 2 generations.

Oh noes! They decided to get rid of stuff that almost everyone WOULDN'T use. What bastards they are for removing useless components to lower the price a bit.

When all the extra stuff was annouced last year you assholes were all going, "LOL!!! SONY R WETARDUD! ROFFLE! NO1 WIL EVAR USE IT!" And now your busting their balls because they listened to you all and removed it!

Make up your fucking minds or maybe try thinking for yourselves.

sorry people....been offline for a time...my question is....we can play Ps1/Ps2 games on the PS3, yet how can we move our saves off of the old memory cards to a memory stick?????

[quote name='nectarsis1']sorry people....been offline for a time...my question is....we can play Ps1/Ps2 games on the PS3, yet how can we move our saves off of the old memory cards to a memory stick?????[/quote]

you dont.

well, you cant at the moment, that doesnt mean that someone or even sony wont provide some solution for this, especially if the perceived number of people who would be willing to purchase an overpriced accessory are large.

But yes, you dont is accurate

[quote name='Duo_Maxwell']I gotta say I'm not really suprised by this either, most HDTV's didn't even have dual HDMI inputs until just recently and I'm sure the majority of HDTV owners don't have dual HDMI inputs right now on their TVs. Though I think not including one on the less expensive version is sort of a low blow because it won't allow you to upgrade the system with a better video output (for example if you bought the 360 core you can sitll pay the extra $40 for the HDTV cables).[/QUOTE]

this is true but Sony also claimed this machine would last 10 or more years and be ahead of its time.......now we see its not....also I cant believe people arent bitching about Sony basically doing what M$ did. They have two systems with 2 prices and If you buy the lower end one....you are a bonehead as it cuts vital features

[quote name='lowgear26']this is true but Sony also claimed this machine would last 10 or more years and be ahead of its time.......now we see its not....also I cant believe people arent bitching about Sony basically doing what M$ did. They have two systems with 2 prices and If you buy the lower end one....you are a bonehead as it cuts vital features[/QUOTE]

I think you and everyone else misinterpreted the 10 years. I'm pretty sure they meant it could last up to 10 years like the PS1, not that it would last to 10 years without them producing a PS4.

[quote name='lowgear26']this is true but Sony also claimed this machine would last 10 or more years and be ahead of its time.......now we see its not....also I cant believe people arent bitching about Sony basically doing what M$ did. They have two systems with 2 prices and If you buy the lower end one....you are a bonehead as it cuts vital features[/QUOTE]

While I belive their "future proof" claim to be total BS, I dunno if 2 HDMI ports would've made it any more future proof. As for the bitching about 2 versions thing I agree like i said earlier it's pretty rediculous, but it's not anything what like MS did, it's actually worse. The core 360 doesn't cut vital features, it just comes without some of them in the box, everything can be udgraded to turn a core into a premium if you desired (albeit for more $$ and minus the needless chrome tray). The specs and design of the actual console was the same, it's just that the accesories were different. With the PS3 we will see two systems with actual differing specs like a PC apparently (only unlike a PC once again you can't upgrade to a better version).

[quote name='gokou36']I fail to see the need for 2hdmi, 4ethernet ports, 6/8 usb ports. Less than 5% of gamers would fully use all these features. Why leave useless stuff in when its not needed yet cost more to produce? I swear people will b*tch and whine about everything. Had they left everything intact it would raise the price further and people would STILL complain.[/QUOTE]
Bs. Its not useless stuff. We need those ports for the cup holder and flux capacitator.

Just like the controller, these features got criticized to hell. Especially the 2 HDMI output since everybody figured who the fuck has 2 HDTV's at 1080p, and the 8 USB ports looked stupid too. So why the hell should Sony drive up their losses even more if people aren't going to use them? Maybe we'll get them in the PSThree, or PS3-2 or whatever clever name they can come up with.

I was actually hoping they would take some of that stuff out to save money. Although I am not happy about HDMI missing from the Core.

the rumors i've heard re: why there is no hdmi on the cheaper version seem to indicate that sony caved in to pressure from other blu-ray standalone player manufacturers.

Samsung and co. are set to launch $1000 players, and you just can't have a $499 ps3 out there that can do the same thing, in ADDITION to gaming. At $599 however, they don't seem to be too concerned.

I don't think Sony primarily looked at gamers and saw that people didn't really need all that extra. I think firstly they beefed up specs, looked at what it was going to cost them, and dropped most of it.

While in this case it doesn't have an earth-shattering effect, what is stopping them (or any other company for that matter) from doing stuff like this all of the time?

They actually announced a while ago that the PS3 would lose it's router functionality. You can pretty much assume that they would nix the ethernet ports for it as well. Not sure why everyone is surprised.

And who really needs two tvs running at 1080p?

[quote name='gaelan']that right there takes away any value they are trying to add with the whole blu ray rules your world idea.

i know people are claiming to only be interested in the games, but cmon for $400 and an alleged next gen optical format you don't want it crippled right out of the box. it's like having the tits with no ass...hmmm on second thought, i might be able to live with that[/QUOTE]

I really don't understand why Sony can't just scrap the HDD on the more expensive model and price it at $550 and let me add my own HDD if what SCEA pres. or whoever it was in Sony said was true about using PC HDD's. I'd just pair it up with a 300-400 gig. SATA Maxtor and be set.

[quote name='Dr Mario Kart']
ps3liebackend0fg.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Hmm... If you use the power plug as the scale, it looks like the newer revision of the system actually got larger!

One thing you have to understand is that when E3 2005 was approaching, there was no such thing as a PS3 prototype in existence, anywhere. The console had been redesigned from the ground up a few months earlier and none of the integration between Sony's and Nvidia's silicon was remotely demonstrable, because there wasn't any except in enginering meetings. They were vamping like crazy.

Some of you might recall that Nvidia's participation in the PS3 was announced very late in the development cycle compared to similar announcement for competing products and Sony's own earlier consoles. This is because the PS3 design originally had no dedicate GPU. Remember the demos they showed where they made a big deal about this being the Cell all by itself? Those are left over fromt he original PS3 concept.

One of the still unrealized big features of the Cell is the ability to gang together multiple chips and have the resulting system achieve mcuh higher efficiency than typical SMP systems that have greatly diminishing returns on throughput as you add processors. (Most such systems run multiple OS instances dividing the system up into several virtual machines rather than try to do one big OS instance across 32 x86 CPUs.) Sony even put forward fantasy scenarios where your PS3 would enlist processing power from idle appliances on your home network that also contained Cell chips. (A mightmarish prospect of unporedictable resources from a console developer's perspective.) The PS3 was going to have anywhere from three to a half-dozen Cell chips whose power developers would allocate to different tasks as they desired. If you wanted more audio processing you could have it so long as you could spare some threads from another operation like pixel shading.

This would be the mahine to beat all others because it essentially allowed developers to design their own machine as they saw fit . A wonderful dream but there were a few problems. IBM as of last summer was nowhere near ggetting the automated cooperation fo Cell clusters working. In fact, according to a quoted IBM Engineering VP in EE Times, they only had Cells working in sets of two. Not exactly a leap for the processor industry.

Also, IBM couldn't make the damn thing reliably. There was no way enough Cells could be produced any time in the next three years to make a consumer product using multiple Cells possible. Unless the price would be in the thousands of dollars. So Sony had to go back to the drawing board and go with a more conventional design using a partner supplied dedicated GPU alongside a single Cell in each system. Starting from scratch on a GPU design would have taken years so Sony got Nvidia to modify one of their upcoming PC products. Sound familiar?

Dual monitor support was a given for any new high-end Nvidia chip and making that HDMI for the purposes of an E3 demo was no big deal. While Sony ran demos solely for the Cell, Nvidia would trot out a bunch of PC demos and say this was what they were bringing to the PS3. (Funny thing, when the Sony and Nvidia partnership was first announced they made sure to say the resulting chip would be unique to Sony's console and not a modified PC design. This turned out to be true only if the names were changed to Microsoft and ATI.)

Sony was desparately in need of demo fodder last year and thought driving two HDTVs simultaneously would wow the crowd, even though this had long been doable on PCs using DVI. Actually going tot he expense of having this in a console is ridiculous. So, like so many times in the past, once it wasn't needed anymore the demo feature was quietly forgotten.

Yeah, I remember that about the GPU for the PS3. It was releaved a little after E3 that the "RSX" was really just a suped up 7800GTX I believe. They overclocked it and that's about it. BTW, if that turns out to be the final case, everyone complaing about the loudness of 360 is in for a surprise, because I have a 7800GTX and at full clip they aren't exactly quiet. BTW, most non-OC'd GTXs run at 430-450Mhz. The PS3 GPU supposedly is 550MHz. So unless the PS3 is water or phase change cooled, it's going to be loud like a 360, or with so many fans it'll be like a wind tunnel. You just can't cool that much power quietly whether your Mircosoft or Sony.

When it was first announced I thought maybe the two HDMI outputs would go along with the ability to connect 7 controllers to one PS3 allowing split screen play on two tvs with 7 players. Also it would even be cool to have two players each with their own screen. Or any combination of the above ie 3vs3, etc.

Yeah maybe no one has two HDMI capable tv's, but when some of us do wouldn't that have been a nice option.

Also being a Lan party fan (PC, Xbox, etc.) Having a built in router to connect consoles would have been awesome. Maybe they'll be able to connect wirelessly now though...

Sony confirmed that you could later add options that were taken away from the more expensive model.

I'm still undecided on which model I'm going to get, I don't see a huge need for HDMI myself right now so i might just go for the cheaper model and add on the stuff when I need it.

[quote name='Kayden']Oh noes! They decided to get rid of stuff that almost everyone WOULDN'T use. What bastards they are for removing useless components to lower the price a bit.

When all the extra stuff was annouced last year you assholes were all going, "LOL!!! SONY R WETARDUD! ROFFLE! NO1 WIL EVAR USE IT!" And now your busting their balls because they listened to you all and removed it!

Make up your fucking minds or maybe try thinking for yourselves.[/QUOTE]

A lot of it has to do with now that Sony has stripped some of the stuff from the PS3 and it is still $600!

[quote name='Metal Boss']Sony confirmed that you could later add options that were taken away from the more expensive model.

I'm still undecided on which model I'm going to get, I don't see a huge need for HDMI myself right now so i might just go for the cheaper model and add on the stuff when I need it.[/quote]

DO NOT buy the cheaper model. No matter what sony says, you will not be able to change your core version into a premium no matter how much you want to. Later when you want HDMI you will regret your choice.

It's only $100 bucks more, and you will not be able to add the missing stuff later for that cheap. Look at the 360. It was $100 bucks alone for the hard drive not to mention the HD cables, the wireless controller, the headset, etc.

Didn't anyone else think the two HDMI outputs, and the router functionality was awesome?

Anyone?

Bueller?

The PS3 can still Rip and Burn DVDs, right? Or was this just mixed in with the PS3 will be the preferred method of editing video for the consumer?

bread's done
Back