what happens when I transfer to a new hard drive?

sunnysky

CAGiversary!
Feedback
10 (100%)
I gotta ask this.
I've got an elite, and I'm planning on upgrading to the COD:MW2 bundle console.
First off, will the 20 to 120gb hd data transfer kit work, to transfer all my files to the 250GB hd? I've heard it won't work with the 60gb hd.
Secondly, which downloads/transfers will require the original game disc?
In other words, I know when doing the data transfer, all licenses are transfer to the new hd, and from there I just need to download everything again.
HOWEVER, what happens in the case of things like the Rock Band 1 songs (the ones you pay 400ms points for to transfer onto the hd for use with RB2). Is that a download, or does it litterally transfer the songs from the RB1 disc to the HD.
Also with the Fallout 3 add-on discs. Will those transfer over to the new 250gb hd, or will I need to get the discs to get the content onto the new hd.
In other words, if I've traded these games into gamestop, will I need them again?
Sorry for the long drawn out question, but I don't imagine I'm the only one with this question.
And I am truly sorry if this has been asked in another thread.

There's a FAQ on xbox's website on data transfer for more reference.

But to answer some immediate questions:
Anything that your registered gamertag has downloaded from XBL onto that HDD will be in your download account history. You can always redownload anything you have previously downloaded. This could be a gamerpic, free demos, premium themes, games purchased with MS points etc.

Which means if you delete something that is downloadable content (not to be confused with a saved game file of the same game's name) you can just go back to your account management and download it again.

When you transfer to a new HDD, you have to register your new HDD which is a once a year thing that microsoft allows (to prevent game sharing probably) and migrate all your data to the new HDD. if you have a data migration kit it should do it all in one go. (migration times may vary)

I don't know how the migration kit work with the 250HDD but I imagine it's universal to all xbox HDD.

If you don't have a migration kit like I did, I used a 512MB MU (which really only has about 467MB available), you can transfer all your saved games from one 360 to the new 360. It just takes a bit longer. Once you've done all that, you can go to xbox's website and go through the HDD registration and click all the downloaded content you previously downloaded in their list and it will make the transfer for you.

Again, refer to the data migration FAQ on xbox's website.

hope that helps.

I don't know about the F3 dics, if it came with a redeem code you should be able to redownload it again for free. If the content is from the disc, then you probably need the disc to obtain the content.

Your 360 transforms into a continuum transfunctioner, and hot chicks appear and dance around you for 3 hours, and then they leave and you're forced to play Dance Dance Revolution non-stop for 3 days.

bread's done
Back