What hookups are needed to play 32x and CD

Alright, now the Sega CD. I plug the genesis into the cd, put power supply's to both of them, hooked the rfu adapter to the genesis, and finally put the audio into the CD base. Now am I just suppose to power up the Genesis? If so I dont get a light on the CD.

The setup of a genesis/32x/cd is more complicated that hooking up a pc. I can't believe they made it so complicated. There's even a wire hooking the 32x into the genesis, as if the cartridge connection isn't sending enough info.

Everything has separate AC adaptors. I know at least 2, possibly all 3, have an audio/video connection, though only one goes into the tv. The other(s) go into another part of the system.

If you think hooking up a PC is easier than a 32X/SCD/Gen combo, how did you ever manage to find these forums?

Look, there are 3 adapters that you will need. 1 for the 32X (its a genesis model 2 variety ac powerpack), 1 for the Genesis itself, and depending on your model of Sega CD, 1 for it (I know for a fact that the SCD model 2 requires a model 1 ac powerpack).

With all three ac adaptors plugged in and getting power, you will need to look at the 32X for a double female ended connector that will go from the Genesis' a/v out to the 32X's a/v in (I hope you don't have a model 1 Genesis cuz these connectors can get quite expensive.) Once completed then run your RF switch from the 32X to the TV.

Without a game in the 32X or Genesis, power on the Genesis and you will get the Sega CD boot menu.

Good Luck.

[quote name='Senaz28']If you think hooking up a PC is easier than a 32X/SCD/Gen combo, how did you ever manage to find these forums?[/quote]

How exactly does your comment make sense?

:lol: this brings back memories of my brother and I trying to figure out the 32x...only to find that you needed to go and buy an extra cable in order to make it display properly. what the crap was that all about sega?

When I was younger, my family and I bought a 32X new at a Toys R' Us clearance, with Virtua Racing Deluxe (Still the only game we have for the add-on). The most difficult part of the setup process? We had a Genesis 1, and the 32X required these brackets that went into the Genesis' cartridge port. Installing those things were a pain in the ass.

[quote name='Cao Cao']When I was younger, my family and I bought a 32X new at a Toys R' Us clearance, with Virtua Racing Deluxe (Still the only game we have for the add-on). The most difficult part of the setup process? We had a Genesis 1, and the 32X required these brackets that went into the Genesis' cartridge port. Installing those things were a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

However, the brackets are not needed.

If you don't have all of the hookups, you should be able to get them from here: http://www.sega-parts.com. I was able to get a conversion cable from them when I got the 32x a couple of years ago.

1.) First, you must determine which GENESIS you have, V. 1, 2, or 3. If you have the 3rd model, stop here! Neither SegaCD or 32X are compatible.

2.) INSTALLING SEGA CD: On the very right side of the GENESIS, there is a plastic cut-out piece about 3-inches long. Pull that out directly to the right... NOT UP OR DOWN! Inside is a keycard, take the bright orange plastic guard off. A green computer card will be exposed...DON'T TOUCH! Make sure it is not cracked. Place the genesis on the left platform next to the CD-drive. Gently slide the card into the hole beside the CD-drive.
IF YOU HAVE A GENESIS 2, SKIP TO 3.

2b.) A Genesis 1 has a headphone jack in front. Run a male-male headphone dubbing cord to the SegaCD audio mixer, then a stereo audio line to the TV, doing away with the Genesis's mono cord.

3.) INSTALLING 32X: Run a new model GENESIS's stereo A/V cord from the A/V out in the back of the 32X. *(Old model Genesis 1, use only Video, [for which you need ANOTHER adapter from Sega if one's not provided] follow step 2b for sound). Use prong-to-prong (short) cord between the 32X "in" port and Genesis's "out" port.

[quote name='mgariti']1.) First, you must determine which GENESIS you have, V. 1, 2, or 3. If you have the 3rd model, stop here! Neither SegaCD or 32X are compatible.

2.) INSTALLING SEGA CD: On the very right side of the GENESIS, there is a plastic cut-out piece about 3-inches long. Pull that out directly to the right... NOT UP OR DOWN! Inside is a keycard, take the bright orange plastic guard off. A green computer card will be exposed...DON'T TOUCH! Make sure it is not cracked. Place the genesis on the left platform next to the CD-drive. Gently slide the card into the hole beside the CD-drive.
IF YOU HAVE A GENESIS 2, SKIP TO 3.

2b.) A Genesis 1 has a headphone jack in front. Run a male-male headphone dubbing cord to the SegaCD audio mixer, then a stereo audio line to the TV, doing away with the Genesis's mono cord.

3.) INSTALLING 32X: Run a new model GENESIS's stereo A/V cord from the A/V out in the back of the 32X. *(Old model Genesis 1, use only Video, [for which you need ANOTHER adapter from Sega if one's not provided] follow step 2b for sound). Use prong-to-prong (short) cord between the 32X "in" port and Genesis's "out" port.[/QUOTE]

and finally, you must register your 32x with your state dept. of energy who will provide you with the "secret cord" that you must install directly to the genesis' motherboard. After installing the secret cord, it must be certified Kosher by your local rabbi. Only then will the 32x function properly.

bread's done
Back