What is a PSX?

Gumby the Green

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
not sure if this is the right forum couldn't decide if it was here, ps2, or somewhere completely different. anyways so I've been hanging around here for a while and i keep seeing this PSX thing and i was wondering what exactly it is. From what I've gathered from looking into the subject i think its some kind of DVR? and does it play games (PS2 or is it based off a PS1) or have i sorely misunderstood the true capabilities of this little box. thanks for any information provided. just trying to further my gaming knowledge

You would be correct. It's a media center/DVR/DVD-R/PS2 that was released in Japan.
PSX.jpg

The original Playstation was referred to as the PSX for a long ass time. Then that thing was released and everyone went bonkers and had no idea what you were talking about when you called the Playstation the PSX. They turned into game snobs and had to shoot you down, because you were obviously inferior to their ability to know about equipment the United States would never see.

Supposedly people called the PS1 PSX because they were abbreviating Playstation Experimental [citation needed]. ;)

I guess I'm one of those game snobs as I've never called it a PSX as that never made sense to me.

A lot of the magazines I read called it that, so it stuck with me. Gamefaqs used to use it to denote console differences too, I believe it has changed since those days.

[quote name='DaveD']A lot of the magazines I read called it that, so it stuck with me. Gamefaqs used to use it to denote console differences too, I believe it has changed since those days.[/quote]

Yeah I vaguely remember seeing PSX on gaming mags, but like I said, that never made sense to me so I always thought of it as PS1.

also worth noting is you are not suppose to use dual shock 2 for the PSX. Well actually the DS2 works but i dont think anyone want to risk blowing out controller port on such an expensive system.

Would have been cool if they were able to put the DVR aspect like the PSX into the PS3, looking at both interfaces they are almost identical.

[quote name='62t']also worth noting is you are not suppose to use dual shock 2 for the PSX. Well actually the DS2 works but i dont think anyone want to risk blowing out controller port on such an expensive system.[/quote]
I almost bought some controllers made specially for the PSX yesterday. They have a 4 meter cable.

PSX was the original fat PlayStations. PS1 was the PlayStationOne remodel that came out after the PS2. The PSX PS2 was just added to cause confusion. =P

[quote name='Kayden']PSX was the original fat PlayStations. PS1 was the PlayStationOne remodel that came out after the PS2. The PSX PS2 was just added to cause confusion. =P[/quote]
I always thought the small PS1 were abbreviated PSOne...

It's always, in the states, been the moniker for the Original Playstation System. Case and point - psx.ign.com. IF you have any gaming mags from back in the day, like GamePlayers, Gamefan, etc, they all referred to the PS1 as the PSX.

I've seen PS1, PSOne and PSO. However, since people are lazy and PSO gets confused with Phantasy Star Online, the most common I've seen is PS1.

[quote name='mguiddy']I always thought the small PS1 were abbreviated PSOne...[/quote]

PS-X was the codename given to the PS1. Then Sony decided to call it "Playstation" and ditch the PS-X jazz. But many media sources continued to call it PS-X and it ultimately came to be PSX and that's the relation of PSX to the original Playstation.

And "PSone" is the official name of the tiny white PS1 I believe just as the PS2 slim is PStwo.

But as Kayden said, people suck so... yeah.

PSX stuck for whatever the odd reason and I just went with the flow. Anyone calling it PS1 during that generation must have been psychic though. When anyone ever mentions PSX, it's usually referring to the first PlayStation.

[quote name='Hostile']PSX stuck for whatever the odd reason and I just went with the flow. Anyone calling it PS1 during that generation must have been psychic though. When anyone ever mentions PSX, it's usually referring to the first PlayStation.[/QUOTE]

Yeah back in the day we all called the Playstation the PSX. We didn't call it PS1 or PSOne because the smaller PSOne had not been released. And we had no idea that there would be a PS2.

Up to that time no one put a "2" at the end of console name. You put Super infront of it, or you gave it a new name like Saturn or Ultra 64.

There was no NES2, Genisis2. Sony was the first to put the 2 at the end of an new generations console.

[quote name='KingDox']Yeah back in the day we all called the Playstation the PSX. We didn't call it PS1 or PSOne because the smaller PSOne had not been released. And we had no idea that there would be a PS2.

Up to that time no one put a "2" at the end of console name. You put Super infront of it, or you gave it a new name like Saturn or Ultra 64.

There was no NES2, Genisis2. Sony was the first to put the 2 at the end of an new generations console.[/quote]
Back then I abbreviated it as PS. And I abbreviated the gamecube as GC, not GCN like the mags did.

[quote name='mguiddy']Back then I abbreviated it as PS. And I abbreviated the gamecube as GC, not GCN like the mags did.[/quote]

GCN is Nintendo's abbreviation, not the mags'. So, like it or not, it's the correct way to abbreviate :)

[quote name='Fuzi0n']Would have been cool if they were able to put the DVR aspect like the PSX into the PS3, looking at both interfaces they are almost identical.[/quote]

If i remember correctly that is in development, but not for the states. I remember hearing something about how Australia will be getting a DVR attachment for the ps3.

[quote name='|\|ES']GCN is Nintendo's abbreviation, not the mags'. So, like it or not, it's the correct way to abbreviate :)[/quote]

I know, but back then the only place I saw GCN was on mags.

[quote name='Trikip']I never understood the "N" in GCN. Was the "N" for Nintendo?[/quote]
Yes. They had to do GCN because NGC was Neo Geo Color.

bread's done
Back