What is cheapest and best solution to give my 20gb PS3 wifi capable?

EdgeOfThorns

CAGiversary!
Feedback
102 (100%)
Basically I could do perhaps a hard wire, but im just curious first if a PS3 wifi adapter of any sorts will work.

Its because I got my PS4 on my main gaming tv, and I moved my PS3 to my living room to replace my BD player. Its farther away than id likes, so any type of wifi adapter would be great...but will that even work?

I got this from Newegg last Dec.  I used the 4 ports to decrease "wifi" clutter in my room. So far it's been good to me. 

NETGEAR WNCE4004-100NAS N900 Video and Gaming 4-Port Wi-Fi Adapter Its sold out now but you get the idea. It was also for $49.99 and can be used for 2.4 or 5.0ghz. I went with 5.0mhz since my router has it. 

There's also another version for $79.99. Which is a bit better since it's an "extender" but I didn't need it. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not sure I completely understand the question right, is your PS3 wifi not functional? No usb/wifi adapter exist for the PS3.

Assuming otherwise, you really don't need to get anything to fancy for wifi router, PS3 uses wireless G, PS4 uses G/N both on the 2.4ghz band (same band that microwaves, home phones, etc run on). 

I've never seen any huge difference in "gaming" routes to mainstream, however they may bundle firmware to be more friendly (w/ UPnP). Get a wireless N router (or N/AC if price isn't much different), I have no brand loyalty, I use an Apple Airport Extreme (you don't need to shell out for that though). 

Make sure you can adjust the antenna if needed for directional strength, or you could always get an ethernet over powerline adapter if you wanted to stay wired.

Well here is what I am doing, and ill clarify things a bit. Ive got a few setups, but what I did was bump my PS3 down to my main living room TV in replacement of my BD player.

My PS3 is the original fatty 20gb model, It is silent as it gets, runs amazing and has been a gem since day 1. I love using the BC on it so I never bought a slim or newer model, of course though I put a larger HDD in it.

Anyways, I just wanted like a wifi adapter/dongle to put in and get a connection off my wireless router.

However, im just running a hardline straight to it through the walls. I do construction for a living so fishing lines isn't that major, I just was being lazy about it. So im going to simply run a long run directly to my PS3 downstairs through the walls.

Well here is what I am doing, and ill clarify things a bit. Ive got a few setups, but what I did was bump my PS3 down to my main living room TV in replacement of my BD player.

My PS3 is the original fatty 20gb model, It is silent as it gets, runs amazing and has been a gem since day 1. I love using the BC on it so I never bought a slim or newer model, of course though I put a larger HDD in it.

Anyways, I just wanted like a wifi adapter/dongle to put in and get a connection off my wireless router.

However, im just running a hardline straight to it through the walls. I do construction for a living so fishing lines isn't that major, I just was being lazy about it. So im going to simply run a long run directly to my PS3 downstairs through the walls.
Thats Boss.

This is exactly why when we built our house I had cat 5 ran through it. So much easier, faster, and more reliable than wifi.

I'm not sure I completely understand the question right, is your PS3 wifi not functional? No usb/wifi adapter exist for the PS3.

Assuming otherwise, you really don't need to get anything to fancy for wifi router, PS3 uses wireless G, PS4 uses G/N both on the 2.4ghz band (same band that microwaves, home phones, etc run on).

I've never seen any huge difference in "gaming" routes to mainstream, however they may bundle firmware to be more friendly (w/ UPnP). Get a wireless N router (or N/AC if price isn't much different), I have no brand loyalty, I use an Apple Airport Extreme (you don't need to shell out for that though).

Make sure you can adjust the antenna if needed for directional strength, or you could always get an ethernet over powerline adapter if you wanted to stay wired.
WTF? The 20GB had no wifi. Not around during the launch I take it?

What I did for my 360 was get a cheap-ish router (the DLink DIR-615 was < $20 when I bought it http://www.microcenter.com/product/373769/DIR-615_Wireless_N300_Router_-_Refurbished ), put DD-WRT firmware on it and set it up as a wireless bridge. I have both my 360 and PS3 wired to this bridge and I havent had much trouble with it at all.  

The little trouble I've had is not in the bridging, but rather that my main router is slowly experiencing "radio death" so it drops all wifi.  I really should replace it, even have a replacement in the house, but a quick reset and it's good again for days sometimes weeks. I'm just waiting for it to crap out completely.

WTF? The 20GB had no wifi. Not around during the launch I take it?
Ouch, no, I 'm sorry my mistake, I was wrong.

I had an original 60GB fat w/ the PS2 chip still built in, so I apologize for being wrong, I was still in high school when the PS3 launched, I'd assumed that 60GB and earlier were the same, post 60GB removal of PS2 Chip/then emulation is my knowledge base.

Here is a link to a community thread on PS forums with a solution and brand/model to buy. It sells on Amazon for $69.99 right now. Hope this helps.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/20gb-PS3-and-wifi-does-work/td-p/21129498

Ouch, no, I 'm sorry my mistake, I was wrong.

I had an original 60GB fat w/ the PS2 chip still built in, so I apologize for being wrong, I was still in high school when the PS3 launched, I'd assumed that 60GB and earlier were the same, post 60GB removal of PS2 Chip/then emulation is my knowledge base.

Here is a link to a community thread on PS forums with a solution and brand/model to buy. It sells on Amazon for $69.99 right now. Hope this helps.

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-General/20gb-PS3-and-wifi-does-work/td-p/21129498
No problem. I notice a lot of people lately saying that the PS3 had WiFi and was $600 but they completely forget the 20GB SKU without WiFI that was "only" $500. Both of those had PS2 hardware in them for b/c.

Basically I could do perhaps a hard wire, but im just curious first if a PS3 wifi adapter of any sorts will work.

Its because I got my PS4 on my main gaming tv, and I moved my PS3 to my living room to replace my BD player. Its farther away than id likes, so any type of wifi adapter would be great...but will that even work?
In terms of the wifi for the OP, what ISP do you have? I have FiOS and only need one of these devices (because the router has does it as well). It's basically ethernet over Coax, it's pretty great. I have my wireless router on the extreme opposite side of the house from my living room TV setup. I've got a 50 Mb Internet connection but was only getting about 1 Mb with my devices at that distance.

I decided to give one of these a shot and it works flawlessly. I get the full 50 Mb in my living room now.

For most people it's coax to splitter. One side goes to cable box, the other goes to MoCA adapter. MoCA adapter has Ethernet out to device. My setup is more complicated than most people would need though. I've got the MoCA Ethernet cable going to a switch. Then that switch goes out to my TV, Xbox 360, PS3, and Wii U. For the Wii U, I then have an Ethernet to USB adapter because that fucking thing doesn't have an Ethernet port. There's a lot of wires back there but it's great. Download speeds are super fast and I have no buffering on HD content through Netflix, VUDU, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Ethernet-Adapter-Service-ECB2500CK01/dp/B008EQ4BQG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1391787328&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=moca

If you go the MoCA route, make sure you get one of these to block your MoCA signal from leaving your house. You install it where the cable line enters your house. You may be able to find a cheaper one if you look around on eBay, this is just the first I found to show as an example.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MoCA-POE-Extreme-FILTER-CABLE-TV-NEW-WHOLE-HOUSE-DVR-Total-/271373004994?pt=US_Signal_Amplifiers_Filters&amp;hash=item3f2f1770c2

Cheap switch:

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-SF1005D-5-port-100Mbps-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&amp;qid=1391787722&amp;sr=8-1&amp;keywords=switch

For me with FiOS it's all plug and play. Once I had everything hooked up all I had to do was restart the router and everything "just worked".

Last edited by a moderator:
bread's done
Back