What Is The All-Time Worst Game You Have Ever Paid Full Price For?

[quote name='umcthomas']SPOT, NES

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cQkFb8s2Q4

A long time ago my parents made us children very happy by telling us we got to pick out a NEW and FULL PRICED video game for the family for Christmas. However, when we were at the store my parents pulled out a list of games that were "appropriate" for children that was in a Readers Digest type magazine (no violence at all or in any way was allowed.) While my parents were practicing very good parenting, it turned out that the only game on that list the store had was SPOT; a game based on the red dot that resides between the "7" and the "UP" on 7UP soft drinks. The game certainly had no violence as it was a board game you could play on your TV.[/QUOTE]

wasent their another "spot" game that was a 2d platformer? As for my worst gaming experience Myst for the ps1, I was like 10 at the time and HATED that game.

Batman Returns, Atari Lynx.
Which I believe I also posted somewhere as being one of the hardest (seemingly unforgiving) games I've ever played.

193-shadow-of-destiny_jpg.jpg

I never understood all the hate for Saga Frontier. I loved that game , one of my favorite PS1 RPGs. I do like the Saga series in general (Unlimited being the exception) but do understand the series is very quirky and not for everyone. I just always get depressed whenever everyone starts talking about how crappy Saga Frontier is/was , since Frontier 1 and 2 were (for me) probably the best Saga games overall (of the ones released in the USA).

Getting back on track , I'm generally pretty good at only buying new games when I know I'm actually going to like them. Anything else I either rent or buy used (about 75-90% of my very large game collection was purchased used). That being said I actually do have a somewhat recent one to add to this list , Sonic and the Black Knight for the Wii , which I bought at Amazons pre-order discount price ($39).

Now you might say how could you expect a new sonic game to be any good? Well my basis was that it was a sequel to SatSR , which I enjoyed , so I figured this would be at least decent. Big mistake. Game controled terribly , had a even more corny story then most sonic games , a lot of the sub missions were boring or completely broke the flow of the game , and the focus on combat wouldn't have been that bad if the controls didn't completely muck it up. On the plus side I didn't lose much on the deal , since I traded the game to my brother , who ended up enjoying it a lot.

Mario is Missing for the NES (I think my folks paid like 45 or 50 dollars for it). You could finish the game in a few hours on the first try. Edutainment ftl.

The most expensive PC game I ever bought was Warcraft III (over 65 dollars the month it came out), though it's not actually a bad game.
I had to return a brand new copy of Diablo II to get it.

BlazBlue for PS3. I paid just shy of $75 for it. I'm just glad I didn't double-dip and pick up the import, too. This game makes me sick. It makes me sick!

I've paid full price for some shit in my day, but this game is an enema.

Unreal 2: The Awakening for Xbox - paid 40 dollars for it new when it came out. Played it for an hour. Never touched it again.

Command & Conquer Renegade - paid full price, enjoyed it for a while, but felt very ripped-off.

Grim Grimoire - full price, it felt like this game had good production value and artwork, but the gameplay was horribly dry and dull.

[quote name='Chuplayer']BlazBlue for PS3. I paid just shy of $75 for it. I'm just glad I didn't double-dip and pick up the import, too. This game makes me sick. It makes me sick!

I've paid full price for some shit in my day, but this game is an enema.[/QUOTE]

Ok I have to hear the reason why you feel this way.

Either State of Emergency (which I bought because it was Rockstar's follow up to GTAIII!!!) or The Bouncer (the first great game on the PS2!!!)

Both haunt me to this day.

[quote name='Azumangaman']Project Sylpheed, no question.
Then again, it retailed at $40, but it was probably one of the biggest pieces of shit I've ever touched.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Jaid']
193-shadow-of-destiny_jpg.jpg
[/QUOTE]
You're both crazy.

Anyway, definitely Final Fantasy VIII for me. Such a terrible game.

Red Steel for me. It still bugs me to this day almost 3 years later. What makes it even worse was that I bought it used at GS ($45 is close enough to full price), and I didn't know about the 7 day return policy on used games. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I'm having a hard time remembering, but Galactrix certainly fits the bill. In every way that Puzzle Quest was awesome, Galactrix was not.

[quote name='Dezuria']SaGa Frontier for the PS1.[/QUOTE]

Ooh, good call. I think I loaned mine to someone and told them to keep it, lol.

[quote name='HaLLuZiNaTiOnZ']Probably Dragonball Z: Sagas.

Man, I returned that as fast as I could.[/QUOTE]

My brother's playing the Xbox version right now. It's so broken, but it could have been so great. The concept lends itself to the story so well.

Being a frugal as hell CAG who's bought maybe six to ten full priced games... probably WWF Attitude for the 64. I was a big WWF fan and my friends and I played Warzone like mad and had insane rosters full of custom guys on memory cards. Then WrestleMania 2000 came out and I was too broke to afford it. I ended up playing my friend's copy of WCW vs. nWo World Tour to keep up on the controls and then bought No Mercy for $60 at K-Mart.

I ended up getting WM2000 the other year for $3 and trading Warzone and Attitude to Funcoland around '01 or '02 for like... $1.50.

I buy good games so I'd have to say Rainbow Six Vegas for PS3. Bad graphics, controls, and it's just not that fun. Although I only paid $20 for it.

[quote name='daschrier']Unlimited Saga...I only spent $10 on it but I still felt hosed.[/QUOTE]

You'd have to pay me to play this. I also picked it up on the cheap thinking "It can't be that bad." But it was.

Pac-Man - Atari 2600 - Parents paid full price for it and I traded it to some kids down the street for 2 older Activison titles that evening. BUT... since I didn't actually pay for this one the winner is:

South Park - N64 - I think this was someting like $79.99 when it was released.

Off the top of my head, I've encountered alot of online games that were gawdawful.

You know, I always get flamed when I say this, but here it goes:

Top worst game I paid full price for: Final Fantasy 11. I bought the PS2 version because I didn't have a PC at the time, and I wanted to play online with friends, so you know what that means...I paid $100 for the PS2 hard drive (which I never used for any other games) and the FF11 game discs. What made it even worse that the game environment was beautiful, the stories wonderful, the soundtrack great...but the gameplay was horrible broken. Most of your "play" time in that game is sitting around waiting for a party to form. $100 for that steaming turd which I couldn't return.

Then I got a PC. Whoohoo, I can play online games now! Which means I can uncover even more steaming turds!

Runner up (since I technically didn't buy this game for myself)--Star Wars Galaxies. My friends all played this, and while it had problems, they had fun with it. After watching them play it, I decided I was going to join them. After I got my PC, a friend sent me a copy of SWG as a gift, and installed it. Went to make a new toon, and realized that alot of the game's classes were missing. And the interface was different from my friends'. I called one of my friends up to find out what went wrong. He was crying over the phone. His creature handler class had disappeared, and when he logged in, he was given a message to pick an new class for his character. What had happened? Unbeknownst to me, I had the misfortune to install the game the day the infamous Combat Upgrade went live. After we tried playing for a few hours, and finding the game horrible buggy, and having no idea what to do with the interface, we quit and never logged on again.

After experiencing this, I decided not to EVER try another online game again without playing a free trial/beta version of it. You think that would have helped me from buying shiny pieces of crap, but nooo, let me tell you about:

Most misleading online game trial: Everquest II
I did the free "Trial on the Isle" thing they had for EQ2. Not bad, and it ran decently on my PC on maximum settings. Had fun, finished the trial, decided to buy the full retail version. I install it, get off the island to the mainland...to find the the full retail version sections of the game lagged like a sonuvabitch. I had to turn my PC's graphic settings onto minimum and still saw hardly any improvement...not only did my framerate suck still but now the entire screen looked like it had been smeared with mud, the graphics were that bad! Yup, cancelled that one as well. It might have had an epic story line and gameplay, but I was never going to experience it because the laggy graphics gave me a headache. (Now I have a much better PC but after this EQ2 experience left such a sour taste in my mouth, I refuse to install it on my current PC).

Somedays it does not pay to be a PC gamer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quest 64. Easily. I only had an N64 growing up, so this was the only RPG I played for a while until my friend let me borrow his PS1.

I loved all my Nintendo 64 games, and used to display the boxes proudly on my dresser. But Quest 64...ugh. I got so frustrated with the damn thing, and hated it so much, I took the game, the box, and hid it in the basement so I would never see it again.

[quote name='Mr. Anderson']Even though I did get some level of enjoyment out of it, I'll say Enter the Matrix. Super-hyped piece of glitchy poo.[/QUOTE]

i bought that at full price too, hehe. it was really fun but def not worth $50

Devil May Cry 2 I bought it without looking at the reviews and Mirrors Edge not that its a bad game I love it but I should have waited because now its $20, oh well live and learn.

SOCOM: Confrontation.....I was so mad at how broken the game was cause I was SO excited for it. Even during the beta I was like "Its just in beta! All this will be fixed! Thats why its the beta!"

I got rid of it 5 days after release. I bought it 2 days ago praying to Christ the patches/updates/etc would have fixed it by now. While a huge improvement has been made it is still not up to par with what should be a full release game. I will hold on to it for a little while (until MW2 comes out).

[quote name='bardockkun']Hey You Pikachu immediately comes to mind. So much time spent screaming at him to get a damn carrot only to have him dance.[/QUOTE]
YES. This. I remember thinking it was going to be the greatest thing ever to exist. Is it any coincidence that my avatar is pikachu? I mean I could care less for the franchise itself.

[quote name='Frisky Piranha']YES. This. I remember thinking it was going to be the greatest thing ever to exist. Is it any coincidence that my avatar is pikachu? I mean I could care less for the franchise itself.[/QUOTE]

I found that if you kinda warble at Pikachu instead of actually talking to him, he responds better. I gotta go dig that game out. I got it and the mic setup for free from a friend who was thoroughly pissed off by it.

Probably Heroes of Mana for DS. I really wanted that game to be awesome, but apart from the graphics, it was just not. I ended up selling that one on eBay which is something I rarely do.

Runners up from back in the PSX days: Final Fantasy IX and Chrono Cross. I know these games have their fans but I was hugely disappointed by both. Final Fantasy IX is the worst game in my favorite series; great graphics wasted on creepy character designs, uninteresting gameplay, and a trite and boring story. I still played through almost all of it to see if it would eventually get good. Chrono Cross was similar: great graphics and overall production values but the story, characters, and gameplay were completely unappealing. A 180 degree change from the original.

Star Wars Episode 3: Revenge of the Sith for the original Xbox.

Not a terrible game, but it was extremely disappointing. Plus I don't buy a lot of games at full price.

[quote name='stevo1002']Glover for N64... my parents wasted half the money they give me for christmas to buy this POS game[/QUOTE]

I remember that game quite fondly?

The moment I saw this thread I knew only one game was truly appropriate

Eye of fucking Judgment ($80??)

I felt like such a douchebag later

Normally I didn't buy games at full price but at one point around summer of 2006 I went on a binge where I bought a whole bunch of new games, about 15 all at full retail price within the course of the month, and with the exception of dead rising I played them all for less than an hour each. That was pretty stupid, but the biggest offender I'm still banging me head over would be the purchase of Enchanted ARMs. I'm not big into RPGs, the game didn't get the best reviews, I had about 12 other games I still hadn't played and the game really seemed like a rush job to get an RPG to the 360... what the hell was I thinking? I didn't even like the game after watching a video review but I still went out and bought it... this probably speaks more to my bad buying habits at the time then the actual game quality but for me it was definitely the worst game I paid full price for.

Hmmm, I remembering being dissapointed with Chaos Legion, not that it was bad but was hoping for so much more with the RPG and action instead of bland levels and difficult grinding. Finally finished it but should have held off buying on day 1. I pretty much avoid day 1 purchases unless im willing to live with dissapointment.

On an old school note, I remember having Friday the 13th back in the NES days (dont remember how much my parents paid though) but was so horrified by how insane the difficulty and how absurd it was to fight off Jason with rocks. Although I must admit it did reveal how broken an experience can be in a game to a 5 year old and how just because you spend money on something doesnt make it worth it.

When GBA first game out, I bought Jurassic Park III: The DNA Factor at a Circuit City for $40. I definitely bought my fair share of poor-mediocre game when I was a younger teen.

Fallout 3. That 70 bucks practically flew out of my hands at the source and the regret of buying instead of left 4 dead, which i did later anyway.

bread's done
Back