What is the best Anti-spyware & anti-virus programs around

I use spybot. Gets the job done. I also use Firefox, which helps alot too. I think there are other good browsers, but from what I have heard, stay away from IE.

[quote name='Moxio']Antivirus: AVG, Nod32
Antispyware: SpyBot:S&D, Microsoft AntiSpyware, SpyDoctor
Antiadware: Ad-Aware[/QUOTE]

Yep, those are what you want. And definitely use FireFox instead of IE.

Really there is no true one spyware or adaware cleaner, but rather it involves a combination of programs, as well as counter measures on your part.

First off make sure to get the Windows updates either through Autopatcher or directly from Microsoft as this will help a bit with blocking some security vulnerabilities and holes.

Next download and install Mozilla Firefox. This will stop some of the pop ups, adware, and spyware as it is actually supported (ergo they update the program and try to fill security holes unlike IE), works off of the Gecko engine (see the last one), doesn't let anything install itself on your computer through the browser unless you permit it, and let's just say overall it is a better program...no not overall hands down it is the best browser.

Now for spyware cleaners I use a combination of programs as they are updated differently and what one finds, the other may not and vice-a-versa.

I use Ad-Aware 6.0 SE inconjuction to Spybot Search and Destroy with Spywareblaster installed working as well. Now inconjuction to this setup I use Ewido Anti-Trojan/Spyware and I must say that I find it the best as it picks up everything that Adaware and Spybot do, but picks it up usually before they have the updates for it and more stuff that they totally just miss. Note that this whole setup is free.

Now for A/V it depends on the route you want to go for it. You can either go for a free program which AVG or Avast are the best currently, more so AVG with its free built in e-mail scanner. You can also go for a paid supported A/V which the best at the moment is either Nod32 or Kaspersky I would have to say.

Hope that helps and if you have any more questions just ask.

Best anti-spyware software is Spyware Blaster.

I've been using it over a year, and I just dont get spyware anymore. Why clean when you can block?

As for IE, I refuse to use anything else. You can't uninstall it anyway, and adding another application into the mix just doubles the amount of security issues you have to deal with. The claim that alternative browsers are more secure just isnt true, and gets embarrassingly proven every month or so.

You can't uninstall IE, so just work on beefing it up. If you need tabbed browsing or any of the other superfluous features, get Maxthon.

[quote name='tony72']Best anti-spyware software is Spyware Blaster.

I've been using it over a year, and I just dont get spyware anymore. Why clean when you can block?

As for IE, I refuse to use anything else. You can't uninstall it anyway, and adding another application into the mix just doubles the amount of security issues you have to deal with. The claim that alternative browsers are more secure just isnt true, and gets embarrassingly proven every month or so.

You can't uninstall IE, so just work on beefing it up. If you need tabbed browsing or any of the other superfluous features, get Maxthon.[/QUOTE]

Wow, I have to say that that was simply an ignorant post. First off Spyware Blaster is not the end all of spyware. What about the stuff that gets through your defenses, etc.? Spyware Blaster doesn't protect against everything as has been shown by the computers that I take care of being infected.

IE...hahahahaha:lol: Microsoft barely supports it now and was practically forced into supporting it again after huge gaping security issues were found for it and that Firefox was taking away its market share. I mean seriously please. IE can barely even block pop-ups let alone try and keep you clean from spyware and crap.

Also, how in the hell does having another application on your computer add to the amount of security issues you are going to deal with? There is no difference by installing Firefox or installing any other random program. And if I or any other person wanted more feature and support for our browser than why should we just go out and have to "beef" up IE. I don't care how you put it, no matter what way you dress up and paint up a pig, it's still a pig.

Of course other browsers can be shown to not be totally secure as nothing truly is, but at least they are supported and when a flaw comes out they update the program. I know that since I have been with FF I have seen something like 10 or so updates. I remember I had computers where it was still going aorund as Pheonix or Firebird. And one more thing, Firefox doesn't use ActiveX and runs on the Gecko engine. That alone makes it more secure not too mention its total customability, etc.

To sum up my post into one line, IE is A wolf in sheep's clothing.

In addition to my post this site has some pretty good info:

http://www.stopie.com/

I use ZoneAlarm firewall. Basically just makes it to where it asks you before ANY program accesses the internet, so if you accidentally download a virus, it can't spread without you giving it permission. In combination with Microsoft Antispyware autochecking once a night, and running SpyBot once a month, I've been shit-free for years.

[quote name='AdamInPlaidum']I use ZoneAlarm firewall. Basically just makes it to where it asks you before ANY program accesses the internet, so if you accidentally download a virus, it can't spread without you giving it permission. In combination with Microsoft Antispyware autochecking once a night, and running SpyBot once a month, I've been shit-free for years.[/QUOTE]

Try checking with Ewido Anti-Trojan. I'd just like to see what comes up on your rig. I thought the same like you once, but ran the program and it found a ton that Microsoft's Antispyware (go fig) missed and that both Adaware and Spybot missed.

[quote name='tony72']I've been using it over a year, and I just dont get spyware anymore. Why clean when you can block?[/QUOTE]
LOL. Yes. Why stop standing under jet engines destroying your hearing when you can simply plug your ears.

Firefox/Opera/etc. ARE "more" secure. Secunia says so. They aren't entirely secure, but not everything is programmed by Theo de Raadt. As if security alone was the only reason to use a better browser.

[quote name='P0ldy']LOL. Yes. Why stop standing under jet engines destroying your hearing when you can simply plug your ears.

Firefox/Opera/etc. ARE "more" secure. Secunia says so. They aren't entirely secure, but not everything is programmed by Theo de Raadt. As if security alone was the only reason to use a better browser.[/QUOTE]

Yes, entirely agreed.

bread's done
Back