what is the "best" HD monitor in the $150-$200?

Soujiro_Seta

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
So my current pc monitor is pretty much on it's last legs. It pretty much blacks out when it gets too hot, which is pretty often now. So I'm looking to buy a new monitor. Right now I'm considering the Dell ST2210 or the AOC 2236vw. Anyone have any thoughts about either of those two or other suggestions? Thanks!

I am a Samsung fan myself, so I would say to pick one of those up. My best monitor I have used so far I would say is the T260HD, but that is clearly far out of your range (and size most likely) I looked at the smaller sizes and they are around ~$250 so I guess again out of your price range. If you want to splurge however, I would go with one of those.

I would recommend this one - Asus VH242H, 23.6" full 1080P. It's $200 - $20 coupon - $10 MIR and free shipping.
I have the VH236H and love it. Absolutely great picture and no issues at all so far and I've had it a year. A friend liked it and bought one also. His roommate has a fairly new Samsung (not sure of the model, but it has the red Touch of Color and sold at Best Buy for ~$350) and I think the Asus has a nicer picture at a cheaper price. The Samsungs are a great monitor, but way more than what I want/can spend.

[quote name='monoxide101']I would recommend this one - Asus VH242H, 23.6" full 1080P. It's $200 - $20 coupon - $10 MIR and free shipping.
I have the VH236H and love it. Absolutely great picture and no issues at all so far and I've had it a year. A friend liked it and bought one also. His roommate has a fairly new Samsung (not sure of the model, but it has the red Touch of Color and sold at Best Buy for ~$350) and I think the Asus has a nicer picture at a cheaper price. The Samsungs are a great monitor, but way more than what I want/can spend.[/QUOTE]

I've also recently purchased Asus VH236H from Amazon ($188 with $20 rebate) and am absolutely satisfied with the picture and sound. In my research it seemed to be the best deal for the price. I'm using it with my PS3 right now so the built in hdmi port is very handy. I don't even use external speakers because the built in ones are more than adequate. It also comes with a 3 yr limited warranty.

If you don't mind the 1w speakers on it, I would recommend the Acer 21.5" Full HD LCD monitor from Target. It's currently priced at $159.99 and can be found in store. The newer model is H213H bmd and you'll need a $5 DVI to HDMI port adapter from Newegg for it.

But if your Target still has it in stock somehow, they clearanced out the prior model(H213H bmid) and I picked up one of those for $39.98 on clearance a while ago.

It has a built in HDMI port right on it.

But like I said, the speakers are kind of weak on it(2 x 1w), though it does have an audio in port on it.

Here's a link to the current Acer model that Target sells: http://www.target.com/Acer-21-5-Widescreen-LCD-Monitor/dp/B0037E0AME/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&searchView=grid5&qid=1277398277&frombrowse=0&fromGsearch=true&node=1038576%7C1287991011&keywords=acer&searchSize=90&id=Acer%2021%205%20Widescreen%20LCD%20Monitor&searchBinNameList=purchasing_channel%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice%2Ctarget_com_primary_color-bin%2Ctarget_com_size-bin%2Ctarget_com_brand-bin&searchNodeID=1038576%7C1287991011&searchRank=target104545&sr=1-8&searchPage=1&rh=

I have the Asus VH242H. And it is a Excellent monitor for the price. You said your looking for the "best" monitor. But are you looking for the best biggest monitor you can get? Or just plain best monitor regardless of size. If so your probably gonna probably end up with a Samsung (excellent refresh rates). But you will also only get a 21" monitor. But if you sacrifice a few milliseconds you can get a good 23" or 24" monitor for that price and not miss much.

One thing you want to think about is how much time you use the monitor in a day or week time frame. A couple inches doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.

[quote name='hotstud19us']A couple inches doesn't sound like a lot, but it is.[/QUOTE]

That's what she said.

...sorry, couldn't resist.

Anyhow, I agree with others: Samsung makes amazing monitors with excellent colors and generally great performance. I've been using a SyncMaster 226BW for about three years now and it's by far the best monitor I've ever used and even puts quite a few HDTVs I've seen to shame. I'll be a Samsung fan for life.

I also recommend you don't go super cheap on your monitor. You'll be using it all the time and it's worth dropping a few extra dollars into a really good one.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys! I was actually looking at the Asus Vh242H but I saw a review on pcmag or whatever that said it was not so good. But screw em a bunch of you guys seem to like it. I might go look into that. I am also considering the Samsung 2333HD. I'm gonna go out today and take a look at them.

Captainfrizo- you're right. I am gonna splurge a bit for the monitor. I probably use it more than most of my other stuff so I might as well spend a little extra.

nvm about my comment about the vh242h. I was actually looking at the vh236h.

From what I've read a lot of people complain about the menu setup on the monitor... it is kind of clunky, but I think I've used it exactly once. And that was playing with it to see what people were complaining about. I've also seen people say that it's wobbly, I've never really noticed that.

How often are you going to get into the menu on a monitor? Thats a trivial thing. Plus when looking at monitors. Some stores seem to be a little shady with changing settings on some monitors so they look worse. So they can get you to buy the more expensive one. A la best buy and there hdmi/av monster cables plug.

[quote name='monoxide101']From what I've read a lot of people complain about the menu setup on the monitor... it is kind of clunky, but I think I've used it exactly once. And that was playing with it to see what people were complaining about. I've also seen people say that it's wobbly, I've never really noticed that.[/QUOTE]

I just left the Acer monitor I bought to use with my PS3 in the factory settings and it looks pretty damn good to me as is. But the touch controls are a little less sensitive than they should be. Then again, I think this was clearly someone's return since the screen was smudged up and the case had a few small scratches on it when I bought it.

But for $40 I didn't really care too much.:D

I used to use an Acer 22" monitor and it was good for its price but I've rearranged things and decided just to hook the computer to my 40" Samsung HDTV.... I don't see myself going back to a smaller screen ever again, wanting a 55" tbh. Just another option for you if you have a good TV.

I couldn't find the Asus one when I went out yesterday. But I found an HP w2338h on clearence at walmart for $200 so I just picked that up. I got it home and realized it didn't have a dvi port. But I had a DVI to HDMI connector so I'm using that and everything seems to be fine albeit I only messed around with it for about an hour so far.
Anyway thanks again for the suggestions guys!

[quote name='Luketaru']I used to use an Acer 22" monitor and it was good for its price but I've rearranged things and decided just to hook the computer to my 40" Samsung HDTV.... I don't see myself going back to a smaller screen ever again, wanting a 55" tbh. Just another option for you if you have a good TV.[/QUOTE]
The size I have is definitely ample for my small room I play in, as I don't like being blinded by a huge tv screen.

I had a 27" SDtv in my room for about a week the one time and it was just too bright for my room.

bread's done
Back