What is the best way to get into NYC from NJ/PA border area?

Ultimate Matt X

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
I'm currently just barely into NJ on a trip and I'm thinking about making a day trip into NYC tomorrow. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best way for anyone that doesn't know the area and wants to save a few bucks. One friend who lived there said to take the ferry from Hobokan, but I think from where I'm at right now I'm gonna take the train in from Dover, NJ. That'll run about $20 with cheap parking and once I'm at Penn Station I'll just get a MetroCard to get around during the day. Anyone have any better suggestions?

Also, any sights you'd recommend in the Penn Station/Lower Manhatten area? For the little time we're gonna be there I'm thinking about going by the Empire State Building, Times Square, Metropolitan Art Museum, and whatever else along the way. If anything has long lines I'll just skip it and move onto the next place in the area. I'd rather look for some good eats than the touristy spots anyway.

From Penn Station, I'd head to Fifth (or Madison) Avenue, walk all the way up to Central Park South, make a left and keep going until you hit Columbus Circle, then take Broadway back down to Times Square. It's good times. That's the route I always take when I go shopping, or when I'm just bored and feel like going for a walk around midtown. Lots of nice things to see.

Thanks, just got back. Actually didn't see this or I would have tried to take your advice. We ended up just driving into town. Parked around 42nd and 9th Avenue and then just walked and used cabs and the subway when we were in a hurry to go to the MoMA, Empire State Building, and a few other places.

I would've told you to park at the transit station in North Bergen and take a bus into the city. But I see things worked out. Did you go to Comic Con?

FedEx and a huge fuckin' box. EDIT: Err...sorry, I thought this was a "running from the cops and need to get to your hideout" post.

bread's done
Back