What is the expected margin of loss on...

PocariSweat

CAGiversary!
Feedback
34 (100%)
...selling gift cards? I have ~$250 worth of GC from FYE. Unfortunately my FYE no longer sells gaming hardware or new games, only over-priced used games. There is a FYE 2 counties over but they seldom have consoles I'm looking for.

Anyone have experience or insight into this? What is my best option Ebay or Craigslist? Thanks for your advice.

LOL I'd just use the fuckin credit, honestly, since I know I'd be annoyed if I got like 10% of the actual value by trying to sell/trade it and regret it forever.

But hey, some people prefer cash over credit and OP, there ARE cheap games to be found, but you HAVE TO LOOK THROUGH THE RACKFULS OF USED GAMES TO FIND THEM.

For example, my $14.99 copy of Futurama for the Xbox, a $7.99 mint/complete copy of one of the Buffy games for Xbox and so on. I've found numerous good games with sizable discounts, but you have to do the legwork to find them, you can't expect them to just pop up in front of you.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']LOL I'd just use the fuckin credit, honestly, since I know I'd be annoyed if I got like 10% of the actual value by trying to sell/trade it and regret it forever.

But hey, some people prefer cash over credit and OP, there ARE cheap games to be found, but you HAVE TO LOOK THROUGH THE RACKFULS OF USED GAMES TO FIND THEM.

For example, my $14.99 copy of Futurama for the Xbox, a $7.99 mint/complete copy of one of the Buffy games for Xbox and so on. I've found numerous good games with sizable discounts, but you have to do the legwork to find them, you can't expect them to just pop up in front of you.[/quote]

10% of the actual value?...when does that happen?...if anything he would get 80-95 percent the actual value which should be acceptable

See I love FYE, even though their stuff costs more, it's usually in much better shape than GS, so I'd eventually use all of the credit.

You get what you pay for is never more appropos than when checking out the condition of games @ GS versus FYE. Sure, you may get 5-6 games for $50 @ GS, but they're usually incomplete or look like they were polished with a belt sander.

Plus, if its a gift card, that means someone who gave you it thought you would actually USE it there.

Of course, to me, giving a gift card means 'here I dont know wtf ya like or don't, spend some $$$ at this place'.

it looks like the $250 gift card is going to sell for $200 on ebay, so figure about $175 to $180 after all of the fees and whatnot, i would much rather have $175 in real money instead of $250 FYE but that is just me

edit, i just noticed that it only had one bid, you might not be so lucky if you start the auction at $199, but then again maybe yours would sell

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']

Plus, if its a gift card, that means someone who gave you it thought you would actually USE it there.

Of course, to me, giving a gift card means 'here I dont know wtf ya like or don't, spend some $$$ at this place'.[/quote]

My bet is its from trading in stuff - usually people don't get $250 worth of gift cards somewhere as a gift. At least i dont :cry:

[quote name='Pookymeister']My bet is its from trading in stuff - usually people don't get $250 worth of gift cards somewhere as a gift. At least i dont :cry:[/quote]

My one friend(ex gf who still wants me actually) gave me one of those $100 pre-paid Visa cards for my b-day last month, so it does happen. Although, the one site I was browsing on and tried placing a GCO order for the $10 discount wasn't giving me the discount, so I hit back and emptied my cart without placing the order, but they still charged me. :whistle2:#

So, now I gotta hope they can reload that $18.90 on the gc, if not, then I'm stuck with a spare cordless phone battery.

But, I've also had about $150-200 from trading stuff into FYE and other stores before, so it DOES happen. But usually, they DO give you the option of taking cash(at least FYE and GS do), but it's usually 25% LESS than the credit value. So, I always end up taking the credit value, which I end up using eventually anyway.

instead of selling it pick up some movies i am sure there are some movies you can find that you like.

or

pick up some blu rays or hd movies and sell them here or on ebay might get close to what you want never know. just a suggestion

[quote name='whitedeath']instead of selling it pick up some movies i am sure there are some movies you can find that you like.

or

pick up some blu rays or hd movies and sell them here or on ebay might get close to what you want never know. just a suggestion[/quote]

FYE gouges on HD stuff. I see SALE signs that say $36 down from $40 for them. What a sale :lol:

I've actually seen gift cards sell for more than their value.... some people are really stupid...

also try this site: giftcardcove.com

It's run by Dane on gtz.

Yep, looks like about $200 for a straight auction. You might be able to squeeze $210-220 or maybe a little more with a BIN, but then again it might not sell if you do that.

It's funny looking at the list of completed auctions for FYE cards. There are two mixed in that actually went for slightly higher than the value of the credit (factoring in the shipping costs.) Crazy.

[quote name='Pookymeister']FYE gouges on HD stuff. I see SALE signs that say $36 down from $40 for them. What a sale :lol:[/QUOTE]

i know but just a suggestion unless he opens it up for stuff he wants goes picks up something for someone and make a trade. that is another option.

it is very tough to sell a giftcard

use it online they have systems there as well

http://www.fye.com/viewfdsearch.htm...&searchBy=&seeAll=&profile=Games&query=system

[quote name='whitedeath']i know but just a suggestion unless he opens it up for stuff he wants goes picks up something for someone and make a trade. that is another option.

it is very tough to sell a giftcard

use it online they have systems there as well

http://www.fye.com/viewfdsearch.htm...&searchBy=&seeAll=&profile=Games&query=system[/QUOTE]

wow that isnt bad at all, the ds lite and ps2 are in stock, but the rest are OOS. still i didnt think they would have systems at all

Only problem with FYE's site is, they don't do site to store pickup and their shipping is kinda gouged($6 for ONE game, but less than half that for a fuckin dvd, gimme a break). I know because I tried using the massive amounts of credit I had via their online sites before and was shocked by the shipping prices.

Oh and if you want, you can also use the gift cards @ Samgoody.com, which is also a part of the Transworld Entertainment chain that FYE is a part of. For some reason though, the gc's don't work @ wherehouse.com, which is ANOTHER site that belongs to Transworld. There are routinely multiple promos going on on their sites, usually involving free or cut rate shipping for dvds and cds, though games still get the gouged treatment for SOME reason.

If you look closely enough, you can get multiple PS1 titles from them for the gift card and hopefully their sites are like their stores in that the book, cover art and a mint condition disc or discs are guaranteed, much like their stores.

Hopefully, this helps to sway those who are considering dumping their gc's on Ebay.

Thank you everyone for the feedback. It is good to hear a lot of differing perspectives on the topic.

Looking at Ebay for FYE gift cards didn't really help. I question the intelligence of some people who bid just to save a marginal amount of money. It seems the smaller the denomination the more foolishly people bid.

I contemplated ordering a Xbox 360 from the website but knowing my luck I will get a non-falcon system. I already have a crapped out 360 under my belt. I asked FYE.com if they can send me a lower wattage unit, they said no.

I will probably hold on to the GCs. Currently my FYE has a 40% off used DVDs
coupon. I'll use some on that. Also I just heard that store is going to close down in January 2008 so a clearance sale is coming.

That's the best time to nab games/dvds/cds and other various items, since you can get more for your $$$. Only thing is, the harder to find games like Futurama and Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 will go first for close to their normal price, since many hoarders will come in and clean out the 'good stuff'. So, it definitely pays to go and check the store out before the clearance begins and maybe grab a couple games now.

bread's done
Back