What is the minimum number of people you would need to fake your death?

Survivor Charlie

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
OK, so the rumors are already flying that Michael Jackson faked his death. Presumably he's in the Bahamas now surfing with Elvis and John F. Kennedy.

It got me thinking: how many people would be required to actually get away with faking your death?

I figured around 12 to 15: Two to four EMTs, two to four police officers, a doctor, the coroner, four to six hospital staffers (nurses and candy strippers), and a lawyer.

My friend swears all you would need is one detective, one doctor, and a coroner in your pocket.

You don't need all of them. All you need is the right evidence to show your death. Leave some DNA at your home then disappear for a while by not doing any transactions in your name and after while they will presume you dead. The only hassle you wqould have is creating a new ID but those can be made up.

I think 5 would be needed to really pull it off:

A detective, a doctor, a coroner, a person from the morgue/funeral home to get you a body that you could manipulate, and one close friend or family member to give some credibility to it all.

[quote name='Ender']I think 5 would be needed to really pull it off:

A detective, a doctor, a coroner, a person from the morgue/funeral home to get you a body that you could manipulate, and one close friend or family member to give some credibility to it all.[/QUOTE]

This.

Michael Jackson didn't fake his death.If he did, he did it in the worst possible manner. You don't want any EMT's involved, or nurses. They aren't trustworthy.

The biggest question in a faked death is the corpse. As in, is there one?

A few years back my mother and sister were reading the same Sue Grafton novel together, reading alternating chapters aloud to each other. (Audio books were still in their infancy then.) Early on, a plot device was that a house fire had killed a woman and left her burnt beyond recognition. I remarked that there was no way the corpse was of the person it was supposed to be and she'd turn up alive before the book was over.

They looked at me as if I were channeling messages from Beyond. I could understand this from my sister but my mother has been a mystery novel junkie most of her life. Surely she knew this was a cliche setup. But when they finished the book they still thought my prediction was cause for amazement.

Anyway, having a corpse to make a faked death convincing helps a lot but is becoming less useful as DNA testing becomes more common. OTOH, Jackson's face had been so bizarrely altered by numerous cosmetic surgeries that they could have found a victim with little facial resemblance and effectively altered his face with little concern for the final quality of the work, in the normal sense.

I'd put the probability of this conspiracy as rather low. Jackson has a large family and complicated finances. The chance of disputes over his estate is pretty high and with demands for proof of his state. That large family means plenty of test subjects for DNA matching, unless the Jackson have more skeletons in the closets waiting to spring out.

[quote name='cdeener']You don't need all of them. All you need is the right evidence to show your death. Leave some DNA at your home then disappear for a while by not doing any transactions in your name and after while they will presume you dead. The only hassle you wqould have is creating a new ID but those can be made up.[/QUOTE]

This. The fewer people know who you are/what you're attempting, the more difficult it is to track you. Plus if you're going to truly disappear, you'll have to consider fleeing to another country, probably even a 3rd world country where modern technology is 20 years behind (maybe more) due to the ease of information flow via various media outlets such as the internet. You would also need to consider how to obtain resources to sustain yourself without using means that are easily traceable such as credit cards.

One. Tell your family you're going on a trip in your airplane anywhere with a deep ocean. Then "crash" where it's unreasonable for any search effort on the bottom of the ocean to recover your "body". The one friend comes into play because you need someone out there on a boat to pick you up. Now you're in international waters and can head off to anywhere. Easy.

Anyone who tries to fake their death where local authorities have to get involved is either way too powerful (meaning they'd recover your body in deep ocean so you have no other means) or a total idiot.

[quote name='Koggit']lol[/QUOTE]

I mean with secrets. I love them saving lives and shit, but if you pay a person to keep a huge secret like that, they seem like they would tell.

[quote name='help1']I mean with secrets. I love them saving lives and shit, but if you pay a person to keep a huge secret like that, they seem like they would tell.[/QUOTE]
lol

TRUST WITH SECRETS: Detectives, Doctors, Coroners, Morgue Staff, Funeral Home Staff

DO NOT TRUST WITH SECRETS: EMTs, Nurses

awesome

[quote name='pacifickarma']Why would you need strippers to help fake your death?[/QUOTE]

Eases the transition.

Also, anyone who does know about it will be less likely to tell because their wives will get pissed they were with strippers!

The Fall and Rise of Regnald Perrin Approach: Find a deserted beach and leave the clothes you were last wearing including a wallet with your ID in a pile in the sand. Dress in other clothes you've brought and leave for your new life while the world believes you walked into the ocean to drown yourself.

http://www.amazon.com/How-Create-Identity-Donald-Deschner/dp/080651034X

You'll want to do some advance work to have a new identity ready to assume and enough cash to cover your needs during the transition.

Now you've faked your own death with no other persons involved.

bread's done
Back