What is the most profit you have made from selling a game/game related item?

Dragon_Master

CAGiversary!
For me the biggest profit is when I bought the Legend of Zelda Collectors Edition Strategy Guide for $0.50 and sold it for $50 on eBay. Man I was really suprised by how high the price went when I sold it. So any ways I was wondering whats the biggest profit you have made by selling a game or a game related item?

Those Zelda guides made me a small mint a few years ago. TRU was selling them at .01 each! I still have a few mint ones laying around for some later date.

I picked up an old boxed ultima game with the cloth map and metal ankh. It went for well over $300 on ebay I paid 5-10 at a thrift store. That would be my largest profit on a single item.

On 1 item, its hard to tell.

I remember buying 17 copies of Fatal Frame 3 at $10 each, then selling 16 of them on EBAY for $25 each the next day. I remember that well because 6 months later I beat my copy and sold it USED on ebay for $44.

Best might have been when I sold $2000 Blockbuster Credit on EBAY for $1600, then had about 4 days to rack up that much credit. I ended up getting the $2000 in credit for about $800.

Another fun one was the Trade 2 360 games, get 1 Free at FYE combined with the B2G1 at EB across the mall. Bought 12 copies of Madden for about $12 each then sold 6 copies of Splinter Cell DA for $60 each on EBAY.

[quote name='theeipi']On 1 item, its hard to tell.

I remember buying 17 copies of Fatal Frame 3 at $10 each, then selling 16 of them on EBAY for $25 each the next day. I remember that well because 6 months later I beat my copy and sold it USED on ebay for $44.

Best might have been when I sold $2000 Blockbuster Credit on EBAY for $1600, then had about 4 days to rack up that much credit. I ended up getting the $2000 in credit for about $800.

Another fun one was the Trade 2 360 games, get 1 Free at FYE combined with the B2G1 at EB across the mall. Bought 12 copies of Madden for about $12 each then sold 6 copies of Splinter Cell DA for $60 each on EBAY.[/QUOTE]

Your pretty hardocre!

I am keeping an excel spreadsheet now of cost - paypal/ebay fees, - shipping = profit... its fun to total columns this way!

Still waiting to sell off alot of big money items. I've got Nocturne, DDS 1, and MGS3 LE all sealed and waiting for the right buyer. I did sell a couple sealed Legend of Mana last year. Bought them both for $10 at a closing K-B. I sold one here for around $45 and another on craigslist for $80.

You guys shame me.

Best I've done is a $7 proffit with 10 months playing time on Oblivion. Got a damn good deal on that game, and so did the person I sold it to, even.

I had a listing for pokemon colosseum on ebay which sold over msrp but even before the listing was over the game had dropped to the players choice list of $20, i also traded my dreamcast for a gamecube back when the gamecube was in it's prime

My launch PS3. $500 pure profit for 4 hours of waiting outside EB on a warm fall morning. Well worth it, particularly since my friend brought sausage biscuits and hash browns to munch on.

Also got a Saturn package for $25 on Craigslist about 2 years ago. Sold Shining Force 3 and Dragon Force as a pair for $150, Shining Wisdom for $45, Shining the Holy Ark for $40, and the system and the rest of the crappy games for $40. So that's $275 for everything for a $250 profit before taking out shipping.

And lastly, I won a copy of Office Ultimate 2007 in a Halo 3 tournament this past Friday. Someone just used BIN on Ebay for $300...so that's ALL profit...and gaming-related based on my method of acquisition.

Got LOZ:CE for free(registered 3 games), sold it for $30.

For games I've actually bought, bought Super Smash Bros. Melee for $10 and sold for $15. That's one of the only times I've actually made my money back. I usually lose money, but games aren't exactly a section of the economy that a lot of people can money off of.

Bought Advance Wars DS for $7, sold it on eBay for $45.
Bought Warcraft 64 for $5 used at a video store, sold it on eBay for $38.

[quote name='chakan']Zelda collector's shield @ Target for $12, ebay for $70[/QUOTE]

Wait, that thing's worth money? fuck, I had one and returned it after holding on it and thinking I'll pick it up later when it's cheap. And then forgot about it completely! Arg!:bomb:

I don't have too many...

During that $5 CC sale, my first big CAG deal, I bought like 15 games and they just stayed sealed for a while. Around Xmas, I realized I only wanted to play about 8 of them and the other 7 I hadn't even bothered to open. So I listed them a few weeks before Xmas and made a profit of about $30.

My best one is probably FFVII though. I had a disc only copy that I got from (the now defunct) MediaPlay for $15. And then around the time of the Advent Children hype, I listed it and sold it for a whopping $60 profit. But I hate thinking of that story because just a few months before that, I unloaded two mint/complete black label copies for $20 each.:whistle2:(

[quote name='chakan']Zelda collector's shield @ Target for $12, ebay for $70[/quote]
Most I'm seeing is 50, you musta got lucky.

How much did these things cost at retail before they were clearanced, anyway?

It's sorta video game related, but bought a few ATi X800 XT PE Video card (retail) for ~$250/each, sold for ~$625/each on eBay.

Probably the Original NES I picked up from a yard sale complete for 5$, bought a connector on ebay for about 6$ shipped, popped it in, then sold it on ebay for about 130$ last christmas. Of course I tossed in 5 other yard sale'd games with it to make a nice bundle.

Phoenix Wright original for 60$ when they were at their peak, and this was a used one.

Bookworm for GBA, bought for about 10$ at Ebgames complete, sold for 60$ on ebay.

I bought the Bradygames Xenogears guide and an unofficial SoTN guide at a thrift store for $2 each, sold them for around $45 each.

I bought Suikoden 1 or two for less than 20 bucks and sold it for 150 at denny's a long time ago. Some guy that I randomly talked to brought it that it was going for a lot on ebay and he wanted it. I didn't feel like messing with ebay and didn't have a job, just mentioned something like I'd sell mine for 150 and he agreed. Two weeks later we made the swap.
I've got lots of rare games that I purchased for cheap from pawn shops and yard sales but have yet to sell them. I'm thinking of getting rid of a bunch at once and buy a new living room set and get my cat declawed.

Xbox 360 launch-- bought a core + hdd + PDZ (just missed the cut off for premium systems at BB, argh), played it, resold it for $850 a few weeks later since premiums were coming back in stock at stores. Sold a few more premiums after that.

Metal Gear Solid Subsistence LE - got 2 @ $39 each, sold one on launch day for $250, currently holding on to the other one.

None of this compares to how much people made on the PS3 launch. just. disgusting. :lol:

Rhapsody for PS1, $6 at a yard sale, $114 on eBay 2 weeks before the GQD reprint
GBA Gameshark, $0.25 at a yard sale, $80 on eBay

I've got a couple of stories.

In the waining days of the Sega Saturn, I bought every copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga I could find in Central Indiana, about 20 copies in all, each one from a Toys r Us, each one $19.99. I played one copy, kept the rest intact, and then about 2 years later sold the 19 I had not opened for an average of about $180 on ebay.

I also sold a copy of Chrono Trigger I'd picked up for $3 at a mom and pop video store which was closing out it's SNES stock and a copy of the Chrono Trigger strategy guide I'd bought in wrapper from a guy for $15 on ebay to a guy for $175.00.

I've also had numerous other smaller "victories" in this regard, but these are clearly my best deals...

when soul calibur 2 came out, i found a spawn figure,i think unmasked, hidden behind all the other figures at GS,i got it for $12, i sold it for $172 i think , not including shipping
it was my first ebay sell :)
ahh memories..i sold 2 more also! i remember the thrill of scouring gs's all over looking for them, not as much profit though, the other ones sold for like $100-$120~

[quote name='Snake2715']Your pretty hardocre!

I am keeping an excel spreadsheet now of cost - paypal/ebay fees, - shipping = profit... its fun to total columns this way![/quote]

I do that with my transactions too, have been for over a year now. ;) A simple formula reveals my profit after all fees and costs in obtaining it.

A few people have said it before regarding profitable games...

I sold a $10 DDS for $90 on eBay because I was feeling generous around Christmas. I had 5 Fatal Frame III copies and now I'm down to my last copy - a few went cheap that made their way through GameTZ and CAG.

My biggest gain was Valkyrie Profile ($16 new in 2000) and sold in 2006 for $102 shipped.

I have never sold a game. Since 1985, I have collected about 450-500 games from many different systems with about 350 being complete-in-box and have still never sold a game. They're mine, dammit!

Moto GP 2 for XBox, paid $5 at the CC clearance in 2004, sold it for $75
Karaoke Revolution Volume 2 for PS2, paid $4.97 at Sears, sold for $75
Pokemon Colosseum Bonus Disc, paid $0.01 at CC, sold for $25

[quote name='Tecumseh!']I've got a couple of stories.

In the waining days of the Sega Saturn, I bought every copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga I could find in Central Indiana, about 20 copies in all, each one from a Toys r Us, each one $19.99. I played one copy, kept the rest intact, and then about 2 years later sold the 19 I had not opened for an average of about $180 on ebay.

I also sold a copy of Chrono Trigger I'd picked up for $3 at a mom and pop video store which was closing out it's SNES stock and a copy of the Chrono Trigger strategy guide I'd bought in wrapper from a guy for $15 on ebay to a guy for $175.00.

I've also had numerous other smaller "victories" in this regard, but these are clearly my best deals...[/QUOTE]

20 copies of PDS?! That's nuts! Did you happen to take a picture of the stack o' PDS?

Around last December, I sold 5 Mario Mix Dance Dance Revolutions with dance pads brand new and sealed for $150 each after buying them for $50. Needless to say, those paid my Christmas bill. :)

I usually don't flip stuff, I keep the good deals for myself... however, at one time I had 4 Suikoden II's... I got each one at the same EBGames. They cost 35 or something after edge card. I took a mint one for myself and waited until I needed cash to sell the others. One of them sold for 130$, the rest were in the 105 range.

i recently sold my sealed Ar Tonelico for $110 buy it now. i got it from a credit at game crazy during that insane 40% bump towards currentgen games.

i sold numerous games over the years.. some i can remember:

-.hack // gu vol1 special edition sealed for $125
-sold a bunch of mostly crappy x12 N64 games i got from the 75% off sale at GS for $83
-advance wars (from a target clearance of $4.48) for $69 with the guide
-bust a groove 2 ($3.99) sold for $90
-suikoden III for $80 back when it went oop the first time
-DOA4 ($40) fighting stick for $120 total
-Marvel Vs Capcom 2 ($40) sold for $100+
-Baldur's Gate Dark Alliance 2 (CC sale $16.96) for $99

thats all i could remember. im unloading alot for christmas...

DAMN!!! Compared with all of those tales of proft, mine is a small 'victory' by comparison.

Back when the Best Buy clearance happened, with many games for $1.99 each, I snagged 2 copies of the Beatmania bundle for PS2. I proceeded to flip those two copies to an indy shop I go to here for $25 and $30 each. A $50 profit for what was essentially holding onto those two games for 12 hours. Not bad, imo.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']DAMN!!! Compared with all of those tales of proft, mine is a small 'victory' by comparison.

Back when the Best Buy clearance happened, with many games for $1.99 each, I snagged 2 copies of the Beatmania bundle for PS2. I proceeded to flip those two copies to an indy shop I go to here for $25 and $30 each. A $50 profit for what was essentially holding onto those two games for 12 hours. Not bad, imo.[/quote]

damn...i wanted to play beatmania so badly too...you had to go and hoard the only 2 copies around...hoarder:lol: ;)

i dont know what my most profitable purchase was...1 game that comes to mind was Bubble Bobble 2 which i found in a Funcoland for $29.99...took it and a few years later sold it for around $80 on ebay...i have found plenty of dirt cheap stuff here and there but usually end up keeping most of it

One copy of Jurassic Park OG for ps2 for $5 sold it for $45 on ebay, 2 copies of FFVII, each $5, one GH and one Black Label $80 and $50 on ebay.

On a side note it gets harder and harder to find the good deals on rare stuff if we want to play it, for example I really want a copy of MvC 2 for ps2 or xbox but the prices are terrible. But like everything else, I'll eventually break down and get it like Twisted Metal 2.

Those Zelda shield things from Target I bought 5 at $10 each and sold each for $30-40 before shipping so at least $20 profit off each of those.

Resident Evil Code Veronica X got 13 copies that were clearanced at a Shopko for 3.75 each and sold each for $25-$35 a piece before shipping for at least $20 profit off those

Flintstones 2 (nes) $5 at a video store that was closing, sold for $100

NCAA Basketball 2k3 Gamecube - bought $10 at same closing video store as above and sold it for $80 on ebay right before the NCAA tourney this last march (gotta love timing those ebay auctions correctly)

Virtual Boy store display unit - bought for $20 from a blockbuster when they stopped carrying the system, sold for $300+(I don't remember the exact total) on ebay.

Probably a few more not on the tip of my tongue currently

bought 4 gameboy players at Kmart for $5 each, then sold them for $150 each the next day. This would be a good thread for the IRS, eh?

Glad I checked this thread out. I didn't realize how much some of my items are fetching these days. My profits include:

Bought 2 Metal Gear Solid LE's for 39.99, sold each for $150 on Ebay.

Bought 3 Fatal Frame III's for 9.99, sold one for $40, holding on to the other 2.

Bought a SMT: Nocturne LE for 17.99? at Gamecrazy, sold for $70.

Bought Baldur's Gate II for $13 at Sears, sold for $65.

Still have a Karaoke Revolution Vol 2 bought online from TRU for $19.99 that i had planned to open up when friends came to town to visit, but I won't be doing that anymore!

My single best amount of profit was a Premium XBox 360 I sold a week after it came out. It sold on ebay for around $830 including shipping. I paid $440 shipped.

Here are the rest of my winnings:

I managed to get two copies of the Zelda Collector's edition for free by subscribing to NP and by registering something? Anyway, I sold one of them for $65 shipped.

I used to work in midtown Manhattan and the Nintendo World store was a stone's throw away. Back when they were selling the GCN component cables, I would go in once a day and buy 1 (the limit) a day for $30 each. I would list them at $80 shipped and I sold 6 out of the 7 I bought.

Last November I bought 2 sealed copies of Mario DDR at full price. Kept 1 and sold 1 for $170 shipped.

Last Christmas I bought 4 DS Lites, assortment of pink and black. Sold them all for a $120 profit total.

Edit: I wonder what the hot toy of the season will be this year...

Oh yeah I also bought a PS3 at launch. Was planning on keeping it but when I saw the insane amount of money they were going for I could not resist. Sold mine for $2000.

[quote name='tangytangerine']but games aren't exactly a section of the economy that a lot of people can money off of.[/QUOTE]

Not a lot of people, true, but I make my living off of it. :)

I seriously sell so much that it's REALLY hard to remember what deals are the best. I've bought tons upon tons of items for around 5 that have sold for 50-100. Intelligent Qube, lots of FF7, Bubble Bobble 2 for NES.

I guess my biggest haul was when I was calling the local closing Game Crazy and waiting for the store to hit 90% off, I was there within the hour when the dropped the price, and I wiped out everything good left. Spent close to 500.00. They even let me go through all the loose games behind the counter, it was nice buying games for as low as .50 on up to a couple bucks max.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Not a lot of people, true, but I make my living off of it. :)

I seriously sell so much that it's REALLY hard to remember what deals are the best. I've bought tons upon tons of items for around 5 that have sold for 50-100. Intelligent Qube, lots of FF7, Bubble Bobble 2 for NES.

I guess my biggest haul was when I was calling the local closing Game Crazy and waiting for the store to hit 90% off, I was there within the hour when the dropped the price, and I wiped out everything good left. Spent close to 500.00. They even let me go through all the loose games behind the counter, it was nice buying games for as low as .50 on up to a couple bucks max.[/quote]

Do you know that what you're buying is rare and valuable, or do you buy stuff up on the notion that it will be rare someday? I'm still trying to get a sense for things that might be in high demand later on. The Zelda DS bundle is one of the things I'm eyeing, but I wonder if that will go the way of other so called "limited" edition runs.

[quote name='encendido5']Do you know that what you're buying is rare and valuable, or do you buy stuff up on the notion that it will be rare someday? I'm still trying to get a sense for things that might be in high demand later on. The Zelda DS bundle is one of the things I'm eyeing, but I wonder if that will go the way of other so called "limited" edition runs.[/QUOTE]

Well, I normally just "know", I have previously collected games for years upon years and have done uncountable hours of research on game prices, rarity, etc. I still study my "Digital Press Rarity Guide" books in the bathroom from time to time. I don't collect anymore, but I do buy for myself and have my own personal collection. I do have instances where I don't know the price of something, that's when I call a friend and they'll do a quick ebay search for me.

Also, I don't buy only rare and valuable items, a lot of the Game Crazy stuff I bought will sell for maybe 5.00-10.00 each. The thing is though, it was CHEAP, so if I sell a game that cost 1.00 for 5.00 + 4.00 shipping and handling, I still come out ahead with about 6.00 after fees, shipping and such, which is 4.00 profit. 4.00 X 10 = 40.00. It all adds up.

I NEVER buy on notion, EVER, you'll most of the time be wrong...but I think you're heading in the right direction with the DS Lite Bundles as I thought of the same thing myself. Honestly though, as for high demand and ebay holiday prices, watch the Nintendogs bundle instead of the Zelda. If you remember a couple years ago they released a DS Fat Nintendogs Bundle that skyrocketed in price...and you'll have more parents buying Nintendogs bundles for their kids rather than the Zelda bundle. It's too hard to judge what will be valuable later on, you'll waste lots of money just buying things like that, just be sure to stay on top of what you are watching and the minute it goes up in price...head to the store! Think about it, who'd have thought that Pokemon Box would have sold for as much as it did? My eye was on Dragonball Z: Budokai 3 Limited Editions...boy was I wrong.

Always be one step ahead of the general public, it was nice walking into 5 stores, stocked to the brim with TMX Elmos on release day last year, sold those suckers for 120.00 each.

Just don't get too greedy, always let a friend grab a game they want before buying it for profit.

EDIT: I don't only buy games though, I do lots of DVDs, toys, cds, etc. Just whatever brings in a buck.

bread's done
Back