What is the most profit you have made from selling a game/game related item?

I was looking through my buddy's last gen collection a little while ago and he happened to have 3 Marvel Vs Capcom 2s, 1 complete PS2, 1 complete Xbox, 1 sealed PS2. Bought all 3 for $20 total. I sold the Xbox and PS2 ones for about $60 each, I think on here. I sold the sealed one for $130, also on here before realizing I could have gotten $200+ on Ebay.

I traded Quake 3 (worth less than $10 at the time) for Unreal Tournament, Super Mario RPG, Zelda: A Link to the Past, and Kirby Superstar. I sold Unreal Tournament for $8, Super Mario RPG for $40, Zelda for $15, and Kirby Superstar for $25. So $78 profit.

[quote name='Cmosfm']Well, I normally just "know", I have previously collected games for years upon years and have done uncountable hours of research on game prices, rarity, etc. I still study my "Digital Press Rarity Guide" books in the bathroom from time to time. I don't collect anymore, but I do buy for myself and have my own personal collection. I do have instances where I don't know the price of something, that's when I call a friend and they'll do a quick ebay search for me.

Also, I don't buy only rare and valuable items, a lot of the Game Crazy stuff I bought will sell for maybe 5.00-10.00 each. The thing is though, it was CHEAP, so if I sell a game that cost 1.00 for 5.00 + 4.00 shipping and handling, I still come out ahead with about 6.00 after fees, shipping and such, which is 4.00 profit. 4.00 X 10 = 40.00. It all adds up.

I NEVER buy on notion, EVER, you'll most of the time be wrong...but I think you're heading in the right direction with the DS Lite Bundles as I thought of the same thing myself. Honestly though, as for high demand and ebay holiday prices, watch the Nintendogs bundle instead of the Zelda. If you remember a couple years ago they released a DS Fat Nintendogs Bundle that skyrocketed in price...and you'll have more parents buying Nintendogs bundles for their kids rather than the Zelda bundle. It's too hard to judge what will be valuable later on, you'll waste lots of money just buying things like that, just be sure to stay on top of what you are watching and the minute it goes up in price...head to the store! Think about it, who'd have thought that Pokemon Box would have sold for as much as it did? My eye was on Dragonball Z: Budokai 3 Limited Editions...boy was I wrong.

Always be one step ahead of the general public, it was nice walking into 5 stores, stocked to the brim with TMX Elmos on release day last year, sold those suckers for 120.00 each.

Just don't get too greedy, always let a friend grab a game they want before buying it for profit.

EDIT: I don't only buy games though, I do lots of DVDs, toys, cds, etc. Just whatever brings in a buck.[/quote]

Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely have to do some research and keep my eyes peeled for those rare gems. You're right about that Nintendogs bundle though. Especially those pink ones. Seems like girls really like their pink ds'.

Funny thing about those Pokemon Boxes... My friend and I bought 10 at $20 each between the both of us to try to resell. This was back when LeafGreen and FireRed had just come out and the Nintendo store had tons in stock. A couple of months later, we were still holding on to them and the prices on ebay were at around $25 or so. I kept telling him we should wait to sell them when Emerald came out because the demand would more than likely increase. He finally convinced me to sell them all to break even. Boy do I regret it. About a month or two after Emerald came out, the prices jacked up to around $75 and peaked, as many of you know, at $250. I still have my personal copy though as a reminder to trust my instincts :D

[quote name='encendido5']Thanks for the advice! I'll definitely have to do some research and keep my eyes peeled for those rare gems. You're right about that Nintendogs bundle though. Especially those pink ones. Seems like girls really like their pink ds'.

Funny thing about those Pokemon Boxes... My friend and I bought 10 at $20 each between the both of us to try to resell. This was back when LeafGreen and FireRed had just come out and the Nintendo store had tons in stock. A couple of months later, we were still holding on to them and the prices on ebay were at around $25 or so. I kept telling him we should wait to sell them when Emerald came out because the demand would more than likely increase. He finally convinced me to sell them all to break even. Boy do I regret it. About a month or two after Emerald came out, the prices jacked up to around $75 and peaked, as many of you know, at $250. I still have my personal copy though as a reminder to trust my instincts :D[/QUOTE]

OUCH! 25.00 each? I've done stuff like that before, I kept saying "I'm going to sell these 2 PS3's closer to Christmas because they'll bring in more profit". Yeah, they started to sell at retail cost and even LESS by Christmas. I made 100.00 each off of them...I regret not selling my Pre-Orders. :(

$5 UFC Tapout sold for 55
3 dollar copy of AW:DS sold for 50
3 dollar copies of M&L Superstar Saga... sold for about 40 each
$22 copy of DDR Mario sold for over 150
plenty more but I cant remember them all right now

oh yeah i forgot about the ps3. for less than a day of being on line i sold the unit for $1400. nearly $800 in profit for days worth. i had good christmas last year because of that.

Had bought a used psp for $90 (in great condition no scratches) and it came with 5 games. I sold the psp for $95 and the games went for around $20 ea. After the smoke cleared I made about ~$200?

One time I bought a used FF7 Versus Guide for $5 that sold for $75 from a second hand games and video store. They sell a few imports and once I found a copy of Radiant Silvergun there that I got for $20 and sold for $150.

[quote name='jetsetradio21']Pokemon Box from the Nintendo World Store for $20. Sold for ~$250 on eBay[/QUOTE]

That would be mine too.

Shortly after my ex broke up with me, I found I had no use for Pokemon Box.

I shopped it around all the trading sites for anyone who wanted it, but because it wasn't 100% complete (no memory card stickers), no one wanted it.

After no success on finding it a home, I decided to ebay it for money towards a Kingdom Hearts 2 preorder.

I thought I would be off on the day the auction ended so I could keep an eye on it and end it early if it started to get insane, but my schedule got changed, and so I had to work weekends. With ebay blocked on our company network, and the break room computers constantly occupied with MySpace addicts, I came home to discover the results - $226, and the winning bidder had already paid.

Needless to say, I couldn't talk them out of it.

Collectors make my brain hurt.

To this day, certain individuals use the Pokemon Box story on GameTZ to label me a hypocrite because I'd like to prevent this sort of thing.

[quote name='DomLando']Oh yeah I also bought a PS3 at launch. Was planning on keeping it but when I saw the insane amount of money they were going for I could not resist. Sold mine for $2000.[/QUOTE]

Not to argue but they didn't go for that much on release? My buddy had one and we were going to list it and it was not worth it.....

* edit

Well I must be smoking crack and have conveniently forgot how much was to be made on the PS3 launch...as everyone and their brother has mentioned it... I still remember he didn't drop the damn thing on ebay and I forget why now.... I am going to have to ask him

As far as I know anything with Hannah montana is going to be super hot this year, all the 6-10 year old girls are really into it, and parents come with open arms to be 900$ for a single ticket to one of her concerts, I also watched a 5$ walmart hannah lunchbag go for around 70$ on ebay...

Anything that the 6-10 year old age group thinks is cool, is what will be the hottest things to ebay this season.. they are the most exploitable age group and parents come with open arms to buy stuff just to have it by christmas..

[quote name='Snake2715']Not to argue but they didn't go for that much on release? My buddy had one and we were going to list it and it was not worth it.....

* edit

Well I must be smoking crack and have conveniently forgot how much was to be made on the PS3 launch...as everyone and their brother has mentioned it... I still remember he didn't drop the damn thing on ebay and I forget why now.... I am going to have to ask him[/QUOTE]
Yeah I put mine up that morning Buy it now on ebay and it sold in a few minutes.

[quote name='Snake2715']Not to argue but they didn't go for that much on release? My buddy had one and we were going to list it and it was not worth it.....

* edit

Well I must be smoking crack and have conveniently forgot how much was to be made on the PS3 launch...as everyone and their brother has mentioned it... I still remember he didn't drop the damn thing on ebay and I forget why now.... I am going to have to ask him[/quote]

Yea, i dont recall everything getting that lucky. I checked the day of and ebay was flooded and auctions ending didnt seem to be making much over retail to take the chance of selling it.

$20 Pokemon Box "new" (opened it because I thought it came with a 251 memory card, argh) for $250 last xmas
$10 NES Cheetahmen II a few summers back for ~ $280 (kinda regret it now)
Bunch of $10 PSX Namco Museum 2's eons ago for $40-60
$10 2600 Okie Dokie #2/100 for $250 almost 10 yrs ago
lots of other crap I can't think of at the moment... really tempted to test the waters on a sealed US Elektroplankton for Christmastime haha

.....found a top-loading NES back in the day for $5 at a thrift store.... sold it on ebay with a couple games for $90 or so......

This is going to sound insane but a lot.

This was....maybe 7 years ago. When PSX was still big.

I went to a swap meet and some old lady in a side shop had some games. I looked through them all and she had a pile of 8 or 9 Dragonball GT: Final Bout. This when DBZ was just getting big and there was no Dragonball games around at all in the U.S.

Well I asked how much. She told me that she had them for a while and wanted to get rid of them (she sold lamps and crap at her booth and not videogames) and I bought them all for $18.

Well I turned around and put them on Ebay. Sold each one for close too $300 a piece. One I sold to a woman when I worked at Gamestop that saw I had one (I put it in the arcade so people can check it out for fun) and she offered me $1000 for it. I said yes of course.

That Christmas I made close to $3000 dollars. Wild huh? Never will happen again to me, I am sure of that.

I think the only thing I've ever flipped was MGS3S:LE on ebay for around 120 bucks.

As for non-gaming items, I sold MST3K: The Movie on DVD for ~80 bucks USED after having bought it a couple of years before at Best Buy for 10 dollars.

bought the N64 LoZ: Ocarina of Time demo cart from work (TRU), for $4, sold it for $365 on Ebay. bought a sealed SNES Metroid (the million seller reissue) for $15 at a pawn shop and sold it for $225.

also not game-related, but still kinda cool: i bought 2 sealed copies of Hybrid Theory's debut EP (before they were called Linkin Park, and no, not the fan club reissue), for $3. i sold one on Ebay a little over a year ago for $325. i still have one left, but i'm not sure when to sell it.

Hmm. Im bad about selling stuff, I tend to keep all my collectibles. I have gotten the better end of many deals. I picked up a saturn, Shining force III, Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Guardian Heroes, Puzze Fighter, an import kart, an import Bomberman, and a limited edition dragon force memory module as well as a bunch of light gun games, and the staples (VF, Daytona, Rally etc) for 270 off of a lot. I can't say the guy had no idea what he had. However, thats easily over 600 dollars in games. Almost all were complete (the important ones were). In terms of selling.... I've sold NES for 50+ and bought them for next to nothing (broken ones) and fixed them (thats quite a bit of profit). Ive sold BioShock Limiteds for 135 or so, Complete final fantasy's for 50-60 and payed practically nothing for them (maybe 5 bucks or so). Never flipped a console though, I kinda despise that mentality a bit. Meaning I buy only what I will play, not to force demand or supply around for people who want to enjoy them.

I found a practically new in box Atari 2600 Sunnyvale 'Heavy Sixer' at a garage sale for $7. Ended up selling for $685 + ship on Ebay back in 2001.

I got extra snes one time for free and I sold it with a couple of games for about $45 on eBAy. It was awhile ago so i dont remember what games it had with it though.

Last year when the PS3 launched I ended up getting 2 presales (Toys R Us and Gamestop) as well as camp out at a 24 hour Wal-Mart for a 3rd. I ebayed them all and made $1,675, $1675, $1,625. $4,975 total. After the cost of the systems, ebay fees and shipping I made about $3,000. Not a bad Christmas!

I put a 1 cent copy of obilvion and Prey I got from CC last year during that PC game glitch they had, and got $45 and $35 for them.

I found Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix at this thrift store for $5, realized just how awful it really was, and promptly sold it on eBay for close to $60.

Like 85 bucks for an unboxed Gamecube Gameboy Player.

I also got nearly 100 dollars for a used, but mint copy of Marvel vs. Capcom 2 on PS2.

Both of these events happened a few years ago.

Made about $600 by selling launch-day PS3 on ebay (i know, i know...)

Also, picked up FFVII at a pawn shop for $5 and sold for about $60

Oh, yea, and also made about $400 off of the blockbuster 5 for 25 coupon a month or so ago

I sold a launch PS3 for $1,250 on eBay - insane!! That's the most money I made in one shot but the biggest percentage increase over what I originally paid was when I sold 3 sealed copies of Oblivion Collector's Edition for around $70 each and I paid $10 each for them...

[quote name='norkusa']I found a practically new in box Atari 2600 Sunnyvale 'Heavy Sixer' at a garage sale for $7. Ended up selling for $685 + ship on Ebay back in 2001.[/quote]

WTF is a Sunnyvale 'Heavy Sixer'? I've had 2 Atari systems in my lifetime, got rid of one and a boxload of games for super cheap a long, long time ago.

Nevermind, I Googled it. I had one with the wood paneling design like that, but I THINK it was only a 4 switch model.

In the past 6 months: sealed GB player made roughly $110-115 in profit.

I just got done selling 5 sealed PS2 network adaptors for a profit of around $45 each.

not a huge profit but I still made a profit a week ago I went to Kmarts clearance and bought 6 360 games spent about $35 I went to GS cause they had trade in 2 360 games and get a extra $10 so after I traded in the games I ended up with $62 in store credit that I used to buy Virtua Fighter 5 for the 360 brand new.

[quote name='javeryh']I sold a launch PS3 for $1,250 on eBay - insane!! That's the most money I made in one shot but the biggest percentage increase over what I originally paid was when I sold 3 sealed copies of Oblivion Collector's Edition for around $70 each and I paid $10 each for them...[/quote]

Biggest percentage would be a couple penny guides ive sold for $50+ :cool:

Bought a complete Enchanter Trilogy at the fleamarket for five bucks. Sold it on ebay for 200 to someone living in Europe. The package was like new and had tons of extras. I don't even know if the package worked due to the age of the diskettes "something like twenty years at the time" But it made me regret not picking up all the other old games there that were also text adventures.

launch system flippers and hoarders make me sick

you might be getting a bunch of money, but you aren't screwing "the man" or people you might look down upon and what not, all you are largely doing is just screwing other gamers out of a ridiculous amount of money or games that they want to play that are just like you

its one thing to sell something you bought and used or bought and kept sealed, its another thing to buy 30 of the same item or buy a launch system to turn around and sell it for a profit

[quote name='SuppaMan']launch system flippers and hoarders make me sick

you might be getting a bunch of money, but you aren't screwing "the man" or people you might look down upon and what not, all you are largely doing is just screwing other gamers out of a ridiculous amount of money or games that they want to play that are just like you

its one thing to sell something you bought and used or bought and kept sealed, its another thing to buy 30 of the same item or buy a launch system to turn around and sell it for a profit[/QUOTE]

I dont see whats so wrong with buying a system at launch to sell for a profit? It helped me pay for my last couple systems and I also helped someone who has more money than me also get the system.

And how the fuck are we screwing other gamers if we sell the system to someone.........think about that. They are buying it to play and are willing to spend the extra money to have it sooner rather than later.

because its scalping and governments in the US have tried to have anti-scalping laws and enforce them, even though they fail

and its not helping anyone, its very unethical, but whatever helps you greedy people sleep at night...

[quote name='SuppaMan']because its scalping and governments in the US have tried to have anti-scalping laws and enforce them, even though they fail

and its not helping anyone, its very unethical, but whatever helps you greedy people sleep at night...[/QUOTE]

Your an angry person.

[quote name='SuppaMan']because its scalping and governments in the US have tried to have anti-scalping laws and enforce them, even though they fail

and its not helping anyone, its very unethical, but whatever helps you greedy people sleep at night...[/quote]

So is it also unethical that stores mark-up items to make a profit? Also, how is it any better to sell an item you bought and kept sealed? You can't have it both ways people. It isn't suddenly "ethical" in one situation that for all intents and purposes of "ethics" is the same. Selling an extra MGS you had sealed for a profit is no better than selling a PS3 you got at release, at least from an ethical standpoint.

because a person isn't a business, they are not an authorized seller or re-seller of merchandise

something that ended sitting forever and is now old can be classified differently because then you are into the collection scheme of things and the whole "antique" scenario

but buying something just to turn around and immediately re-sell it at a higher price is unethical and for quite awhile (and even to an extent now) was considered illegal

hoarding is equally as bad, forget it if you combine the two

but like i said, whatever helps greedy people sleep at night, at the end of the day the only ones you are trying to convince is yourselves

bread's done
Back