What is the Xbox 360's status at this point?

oscar95336

CAGiversary!
Feedback
15 (100%)
Hi everyone I just wanted to see what other people think about what is going to happen to the Xbox 360 by the start of next year. if you don't already know the Microsoft e3 conference had little to nothing of Xbox 360 titles. do you think this is the last year for the Xbox 360?

Just because they didn't focus on the 360 doesn't mean there aren't any 360 games coming out. Hell, several of the games in the presentation are coming to 360 as well, such as Forza Horizon 2, Fantasia: Music Evolved, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, etc.

For that matter, here's a list of Xbox 360 games in 2014. They might not exactly be marketing the 360 anymore...but developers would be stupid to stop supporting it.

http://www.ign.com/games/upcoming/xbox-360?filter=latest

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on the player. For me, it's already a nostalgia machine. I'll keep it if only for my mass effect saves. For some, next/current gen isn't enticing enough just yet. And lastly, it'll be a hand me down machine for the younger set. It has some life, but 2014 will be the last of the bigger profile games for the core set. All my opinion of course.

If you're talking about new games, then I think this is probably the last real year for the 360.  The online community will still be there though, especially with GwG giving people a good excuse to stay.  I'm planning to go next gen this Black Friday, but keeping my 360 until mid to late 2015, depending on the quality of the free GwGs.  Aside from South Park (waiting on a $20 or less sale), I already have all the games I'm willing to spend money on, until the Fall that is (Destiny!).

I don't know what forum you think you're posting at, but this is CAG. Thanks to this place, I have a backlog of Xbox 360 games that will keep me playing it (albeit not nearly as frequently) for at least a couple more years.

Let's not forget that most people are only thinking of big studio releases.  Independent or smaller studio games could have much better potential sales ratio with the 360 because of the available amount of gamers still on it, both with physical releases and with digital or arcade releases.  I really don't think it will be forgotten after this year. 

If your looking for a system that will provide/match what the PS3 offers in strong multi platform offerings through 2015 then you'll be fine.

I don't think It's any secret that Sony has had stronger exclusives the last few years, in fact I believe last year and the previous year the two biggest names were Gears of War Judgement and Fable Anniversary for the 360. This year you get Forza Horizon 2 as cross gen.

I think MS will support the system for as long as they can because a lot of people are still gold subscribers, and they are somehow still getting away with the $300 MSRP for 250 gig bundle and $199 for the 4 gig.

I've read on Neogaf that Rise of The Tomb Raider was going to be cross gen next year. There are still a lot of cross gen titles coming out next year and I'd say will probably last until early 2016 at this rate.

I don't think It's any secret that Sony has had stronger exclusives the last few years, in fact I believe last year and the previous year the two biggest names were Gears of War Judgement and Fable Anniversary for the 360. This year you get Forza Horizon 2 as cross gen.
How I love that I always hear that statement. How so, are you basing it off your preferences or a Metacritic score?

Halo 4
Forza 4 & 5
Iron Brigade
Torchlight
State of Decay
illomilo
Killer Instinct
Super Time Force
soon Below
Ryse
Toy Soldiers
Trials
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Pinball FX2

are the ones you forgot.

While not Gaf, a Mass Effect community on Google+ said Bioware confirmed last gen support with ME4 at PAXEast.

How I love that I always hear that statement. How so, are you basing it off your preferences or a Metacritic score?
The only exclusive that was rated high last year that came out for the 360 was Battleblock Theater and that came out to steam not too long after. Judgement was a 78% so I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. But I can tell you from personal experience that it was the worst Gears. Speaking of worst in the series - Halo 4 had high reviews but the popularity of the MP dropped like a rock and was considered the worst in the series by simple observation by the number of people playing the MP. Check out the long neogaf thread about support drop, that's why everyone and myself is jizzing over Halo 2 anniversary because we know what the better game is.

2012 was a great year no doubt for some titles but when you compare the list of exclusivity of Sony vs Microsoft over the last 3-4 years, Sony wins but a land slide in terms of the amount of exclusive content and they've done a better job supporting their system on the last years of life game wise.

Most of those games you listed were on PC or on the X1. If you go look at the list of PS3 only titles in the last few years I'm sure it outnumbers what Microsoft had to offer on the 360. Sometimes I question myself why I grabbed a X1 when the PS4 was cheaper and more powerful, and the fact DR3 just went to Steam. I don't think exclusivity battle is something that MS can win. But I prefer the X1 controller and Microsoft's ecosystem over Sonys. That and most of my friends are getting the X1 still.

The topic creator is asking if this is the last year of the 360 and by my predictions I'd say yeah by the end of next year or at worst the year after the system will be done outside of the usual suspects - EA, Ubisoft. But even Ubisoft is not making a new AC for the 360 this year.

"Its also available obln PC." God everyone points that out and if you don't have a PC then what's the relevance of this matter? On the other side just because Microsoft games are supported on the PC is a negative?

I didn't play Judgement, mainly because New Vegas it wasn't made by the original development team but I did play Halo 4. Lol taking a perspective off a narrow online thread is not the best notion for a game's judgement.

I, among many other friends played Halo 4, because of reviews and my history with the series, for pretty much up to 2 months ago when I deleted War Fames Map packs/Spartan Ops to make room for my hdd.

Halo 4 is a great game, a lot of people were skeptical if 343 Studios could fill in the shoes of Bungie but after Halo 4 came out they got their street cred. The campaign is very well done, Spartan Ops are high quality campaign pieces where you get to "firefight" with friends/randoms and multiplayer had a ton of modes, most not even dealing with ordinance drops so you're full of shit.

DR3 is one title so I don't get the relevance of it being ported to PC. Ubisoft is making an Assassin's Creed title for the 360, they split the development with current-gen and last-gen.

I think there'll be 360 support but
obviously the One will be the thing marketed or like all the games that are on both platforms, showing the current-gen visuals.

. Halo 4 is a great game, a lot of people were skeptical if 343 Studios could fill in the shoes of Bungie but after Halo 4 came out they got their street cred. The campaign is very well done, Spartan Ops are high quality campaign pieces where you get to "firefight" with friends/randoms and multiplayer had a ton of modes, most not even dealing with ordinance drops so you're full of shit.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=709697 Here is the thread I was talking about, read it and weep: Halo 4 multiplayer is not even close to what the past games were. The community has spoken (by not playing the game).

If there was a new Assassins Creed game coming out for the last gen systems then I am mistaken. At E3 I only saw the next gen AC with no single mention of it.

I'm just going to skip by the rest of your post. You seem to be a bit upset. It's not healthy to be one sided with a system, enjoy the perks of all game systems. I've matured past the point of defending a single solitary system and worked hard for the money so that I can be able to own everything if need be.

Like I said they're going to market the current-gen games, doesn't mean no new last-gen games though. Thinking of the biggest title upcoming for Xbox 360 for me, def gonna be Borderlands Presquel. Who's saying one system? I don't have all the systems, if I could I would, I can barely afford my current 360/One/3DS ecosystem, my PC died (too expensive to replace only to have to upgrade as the 5 ech incrementally increases).

I played Halo 4 with many people over the years& you can see on the game how many people were playing, so it wasn't like it was a barren wasteland like that thread implies. True there was a large drop in player base at the start, many thought the game was something it wasn't (old Halo, not a modernized version of it) but there was tremendous support with altering playlists infused based on player feedback. This Neogaf thread on Halo 4 is not "the community". Go take a look on the 343 Halo 4 or Halowaypoint forums if you want the Halo 4 community. You are looking at the majority minority with Neogaf, a site that's often highly opinionated as well. Go ahead and skip my points...

With almost 84M Xbox 360s sold worldwide and only >5M Xbox Ones, why the fuck would developers not want a slice of that huge 360 pie? Why even worry about the 360 losing support within the next couple years at least?

bread's done
Back