What is/was your college major?

[quote name='punkmaggit']Electrical Engineering, and "was".

Makes more than the average Mechanical or Civil engineer, but not by much. Great for those with innate math skillz.[/QUOTE]Yeah, EE sure does require a lot of math. I've used many of the equations and stuff.
[quote name='txonil']Most of your majors are so nerdy yet it sounds cool.
.[/QUOTE]We are all nerds here after all. :lol:

I kid, I kid. ;)

double major with
Physics (with a specification in Material science/nanotechnology)
and
Mathematics

I'm starting school in June or August. I was considering Computer Engineering Technology, but I really hate math so I don't think I'm going to do that. With that out the window, I'm not really sure.

I have a BS in computer science. And there was Zero girls worth going after in my classes. But at least I'm finally making some money to let me live comfortable.

Went to a tech school that I wish I didn't go to. I got an AOS in Web Page Development. Would be Computer Programming but they changed it when I was in class. Really don't remember to much. The place that I work at now will pay for my schooling so when I'm no longer a temp I plan on taking all the classes I need then take some networking and business. If I could afford all the education for it I would like to get into robotics but dont see that happening.

[quote name='KingDox']I have a BS in computer science. And there was Zero girls worth going after in my classes. But at least I'm finally making some money to let me live comfortable.[/quote]
There are only about 10 girls in my ENTIRE school. Granted, my school only had about 500 students.

There was this one hot chick in my C# class but she was annoying as hell. Always getting somebody to help her with her homework. She would have failed the class had she not gotten help.

full time student majoring in business management with a concentration in human resources while also stuck in the military

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Bachelor of Science in Real Time Interactive Simulation.

In layman's terms, video game design.[/quote]

So these actually worked on you? :shock::lol:
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwlE1aASc4g[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ-QSJmEgHU&feature=related[/media]

Remeber to tighten up the graphics!

You should get a kick out of this though.

http://www.gamingoutloud.com/?p=49

Full time student right now, majoring in Video Game Design at a local college.

Classes are so easy, I've actually already "tested out" of atleast 4 of my classes so far (mostly photoshop classes and some basic html/xhtml). I was actually told that I was banned from using Dreamweaver for a HTML class....wtf. I've never been banned for using a program, ever. My design class teacher gave me an A+ for the quarter because I used some photoshop filters which no one in the class knew how to use them, best class teacher I've had. Used it on the very first project too, a halo 3 line project of two spartans fighting each other with swords. (will upload a picture of it when I get the chance).

Going for my Bachelor's in History, scoring some type of Education degree, then rocking my Master's with the teacher's union picking up the tab :cool:

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Nope, I go to Digipen, the school founded in part by Nintendo. Halfway through my third year, and halfway through my 5th game.[/quote]

Heres is what I dont get.

Isnt game design just basically high end math? As all the information we "see" is just code programmed by you or who ever?

That being said....why the hell do they alway advertise to out of work jock looking guys. Its not like one day someone will wake up and be super inspired to learn how to calculate physics.

There are some high level people in here. Meh, I am taking my digital media/TV Radio Broadcasting and going home.

Another questions for this would be....are you actually happy with what you majored in?

Me? Yes very much so.

Not sure yet, but my minor/concentration is probably ethics and public policy. I'll possibly major in management.

Also, how do you meet girls in classes? My classes all have lots of girls, but I can't meet them. I have 0 trouble meeting girls in other contexts, like dining hall, social lounge, parties, clubs (like, extracuricculars, not dance clbus), and through friends and shit, but i can't even meet guys in class. I'm doing very well socially at school, but i haven't made a single friend through class...

* B.S. in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science with a "minor" in Archaeology (was not an official minor but I wasn't too far off double-majoring so I consider it a minor).

* M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering with a minor in Planetary Science

The EE was to pay the bills, the other two were my personal interests ;). Now I'm a software engineer, though, so beyond some image processing work (the focus of my Masters), I don't really use much of the stuff I learned in college or grad school.

Formerly an Aviation Human Factors major (basically, the route to being an airline pilot without the military).

Presently, Broadcast Journalism, in my junior year, though I will be a super senior.

history... it hasnt paid off as far as getting a great career goes, but i love it and dont regret it one bit. hell i got to study medieval warfare in scotland, cmon man, thats pretty sweet.

aerospace engineer... (but have a pretty good background in mechanical engineering as well)

oddly enough, i was better in history/english in high school than the sciences. i just liked planes growing up...

I started out w/ Computer Science w/ a minor in Spanish. I eventually quit after changing majors several times since they were all busy work and bored the fuck out of me. It didn't bug me too much as I was doing quite well managing my real estate properties & investments. So good in fact, I decided to quit & do it professionally. I don't recommend most people following my path as it requires a lot of determination, ability to manage/take risks, common sense about economics, & the audacity to ignore things people say like "you should go back to school since it's a secure way to make money."

Initially, Bioengineering but,

Presently, Biochemistry emphasis in Medical Science Major
Linguistics (Japanese, Spanish, American Sign Language) Minor

[quote name='Soodmeg']Heres is what I dont get.

Isnt game design just basically high end math? As all the information we "see" is just code programmed by you or who ever?

That being said....why the hell do they alway advertise to out of work jock looking guys. Its not like one day someone will wake up and be super inspired to learn how to calculate physics.

Another questions for this would be....are you actually happy with what you majored in?

Me? Yes very much so.[/quote]

Digipen is very ingrained in the industry, so we get a bit more, but yes, the basis is a lot of math (we more or less get math minors by default). My course load is almost exclusively math classes or programming classes. We also learn about project planning, design, art (though not as much as the artist side), teamwork, etc. They try to simulate the industry, so that we are pretty much already experienced before we even go for our first job. Just last week one of the lead designers on the two Dungeon Siege games was holding a company day, and said that they value DigiPen students over any average person because of the hazing experience we get.

And I can tell you the reason those game design "schools" advertise to the jock (re: stupid) crowd. They have money. They pretty much take the money, give a half assed education that doesn't work at all, and run, leaving them high and dry in an industry populated by people vastly more qualified.

As for whether I'm happy, very much so. Was just talking with my friends about reforming The Clockwork Syndicate (our old team for sophomore year) to actually go and finish a game, independent from DigiPen, and try and get it published, on our own. In addition, I'm probably gonna end up working on a sound based shooter with one of those friends, just for shits and giggles. All this because of the education I'm getting.

Plus, one of my professors was the producer on James Pond 1 and 2, and that's just fucking awesome.

[quote name='SneakyPenguin']Digipen is very ingrained in the industry, so we get a bit more, but yes, the basis is a lot of math (we more or less get math minors by default). My course load is almost exclusively math classes or programming classes. We also learn about project planning, design, art (though not as much as the artist side), teamwork, etc. They try to simulate the industry, so that we are pretty much already experienced before we even go for our first job. Just last week one of the lead designers on the two Dungeon Siege games was holding a company day, and said that they value DigiPen students over any average person because of the hazing experience we get.

And I can tell you the reason those game design "schools" advertise to the jock (re: stupid) crowd. They have money. They pretty much take the money, give a half assed education that doesn't work at all, and run, leaving them high and dry in an industry populated by people vastly more qualified.

As for whether I'm happy, very much so. Was just talking with my friends about reforming The Clockwork Syndicate (our old team for sophomore year) to actually go and finish a game, independent from DigiPen, and try and get it published, on our own. In addition, I'm probably gonna end up working on a sound based shooter with one of those friends, just for shits and giggles. All this because of the education I'm getting.

Plus, one of my professors was the producer on James Pond 1 and 2, and that's just fucking awesome.[/quote]

Thats almost the same thing that happened when I went to Broadcasting school.

They would accept damn near anyone with a pulse knowing full well that 50% of the people there would drop out flunk out because of how strict they were. You had to keep a B- average in all 7 classes or you would be on probation...another grade below b- and they booted you out. (remember though this is broadcasting...you cant take a studio home with you to do homework. So everything was graded on hands on stuff)

We were producing 4 shows a week as well as a round table. Motherfuckas would drop like flies man. FLIES! My class started with a group of 43. We ended with 25.

But the people who tuffed it out and learned all they good got all the skills they needed to find a job easy right after. I have been working hard and have worked myself up to one of the top rookie freelancers in my area. If your program is anything like mine was which it sounds like it...its all worth it in the end.

[quote name='Soodmeg']Thats almost the same thing that happened when I went to Broadcasting school.

They would accept damn near anyone with a pulse knowing full well that 50% of the people there would drop out flunk out because of how strict they were. You had to keep a B- average in all 7 classes or you would be on probation...another grade below b- and they booted you out. (remember though this is broadcasting...you cant take a studio home with you to do homework. So everything was graded on hands on stuff)

We were producing 4 shows a week as well as a round table. Motherfuckas would drop like flies man. FLIES! My class started with a group of 43. We ended with 25.

But the people who tuffed it out and learned all they good got all the skills they needed to find a job easy right after. I have been working hard and have worked myself up to one of the top rookie freelancers in my area. If your program is anything like mine was which it sounds like it...its all worth it in the end.[/quote]

That's pretty much how it is. At DigiPen, they claim a 2/3 drop out rate, which isn't far from the truth. People enter thinking it's just like playing a game, then they get things like deadlines, and Ghali (every student has Ghali horror stories), and they just can't handle it.

Two degrees. A BA in History in 2006, with a minor in English, now going to be done this may with a BA in English emphasis in Creative Writing so 2 more years would have been 1 1/2 but things didn't go so hot.

Looking foward to be a poor writer with a rich wife!

Started out in Computer Science, drifted towards Information Systems since I hate math, specialized in Systems Analyst, then dropped out due to shit happening in my life. Now I've concluded I wouldn't be able to stand a lifetime working with programming languages. When I do go back to college, I want to major in Culinary Arts. Go figure! :lol:

I went too far with the computers, though. I plan on attaining the quickest computing Associate's Degree possible before moving on, just for the hell of it. It'd probably only take 1 to 1 1/2 more semesters.

Communication Studies with a concentration in media studies.

It's a really fancy way of saying TV/Film production with cultural studies too.

bread's done
Back