What kind of music do cheapasses listen to?

Forest Mercenary

CAGiversary!
My taste in music is very varied, but most of what I prefer is mellow alternative, and techno/trance (mostly vocal).

And some of my fave. bands are:

ATB
DJ Encore
DJ Tiesto (a little, IMO he's way too overrated)
Coldplay
The Verve
Howie Day
Dave Matthews Band
Blink 182
Goo Goo Dolls (Iris is tied for the 3 best songs of all time in my book)

And I guess John Mayer, Ben Folds, and The All-American Rejects are all honorable mentions; they're good, but not quite near the caliber of the above mentioned bands...

There are other bands that have songs I really like, but those are mostly just one or two songs that appeal to me; almost all of the above bands' songs are good in my book, not just one or two.

On a side note, I'm making a top 100 songs of all time list on my AIM profile, so feel free to suggest your top 5 favorite songs of all time (there are so many songs I know of that are worthy of the spot that it's easy to forget)...

Heavy ass metal (Immortal, Cryptopsy, Hate Eternal) Country (Toby Keith) Rap (Outkast, Ludacris) Rock (Nickelback, Metallica) Everything basically.

NOTHING MAINSTREAM.

i.e. Good Music, such as Finch, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Coheed & Cambria, Thrice, RX Bandits, Senses Fail.

I just listen to whtaever has a good beat and good lyrics. Right now Im still stuck on the Chronic 2001 by Dr.Dre and Kamikaze by Twista. I listen to stuff besides rap though. Linkin Park and a few other bands. I just happen to be feeling the 2 above right now.

Classify this however you wish...

Link 80
Catch22
Strife
Elloitt
Anti-flag
Yanni
Nofx
Soul Coughing

Whatever the bloody hell I feel like. :D

Actually, I tend to listen to most music, with the glaring exceptions of all rap and hip-hop and most country. Other than those two groups, I'm pretty open-minded.

[quote name='redgopher']NOTHING MAINSTREAM.

i.e. Good Music, such as Finch, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Coheed & Cambria, Thrice, RX Bandits, Senses Fail.[/quote]

I hate to tell you this, but most of the bands you mentioned are mainstream now.

bil4l, you are awesome! Cryptopsy and Hate Eternal fucking ROCK!!!!!! whats your favorite Hate Eternal song? mine personally is either Catacombs, The Obscure Terror, or King of All Kings(I have the CD(Bought it off Earache for $11 shipped)).

Strictly hip hop. If my avatar is any indication Mos Def is my favorite emcee, followed closely by J-Live. Cunninlynguists is my favorite new group.

Last 5 CDs I've bought:

Teo Leo and the Pharmacists - Hearts of Oak
The Unicorns - Who Will Cut out Hair When We're Gone
Dizzie Rascal - Boy in da Corner
Recover - Ceci N'Est Pai Recover
The Rapture - Echoes

I like to listen to... :shock: Video game music. (sp)Nobuo Uematsu has some great works in all the Final Fantasies. Other than that, I listen to pretty much everything.

[quote name='dustinttt'][quote name='redgopher']NOTHING MAINSTREAM.

i.e. Good Music, such as Finch, Thursday, Taking Back Sunday, Coheed & Cambria, Thrice, RX Bandits, Senses Fail.[/quote]

I hate to tell you this, but most of the bands you mentioned are mainstream now.[/quote]

Not compared to Britney, Christina, and all those American Idol fuckoffs that everyone is screaming about.

Let me put it this way. If its on MTV, or on MTV more than once (this applies to Thursday, which MTV played Signals Over The Air at 1am.. once), I don't listen to it.

It's sad, really, that people don't listen to anyone on MTV.

Green Day Rocks!!!
then
Green Day is on MTV!!!
then
Green Day Sucks!!!

There are many good bands played on MTV. Bad Religion, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The White Stripes, System of a Down, Aerosmith, etc.

Don't hate the bands that make it on MTV, hate the bands that sound like everyone else just to get on MTV.

[quote name='Supernothing']It's sad, really, that people don't listen to anyone on MTV.

Green Day Rocks!!!
then
Green Day is on MTV!!!
then
Green Day Sucks!!!

There are many good bands played on MTV. Bad Religion, Mighty Mighty Bosstones, The White Stripes, System of a Down, Aerosmith, etc.

Don't hate the bands that make it on MTV, hate the bands that sound like everyone else just to get on MTV.[/quote]

There ya go. That's what I was aiming for.

Mostly old punk/oi stuff (Sham 69, Cocksparrer, Rezillos, Black Flag, Misfits), garage rock (New Bomb Turks, Hellacopters, MC5, Teengenerate) and local bands (we have a pretty thriving music scene here). As long as it's LOUD AND FAST!

Soul Coughing is a really good underrated band.

Doesn't anyone listen to ABBA anymore? Cmon...be my dancing queen.

Currently I am listening to PE:ITANOM (anyone have a clue?)

[quote name='redgopher']NOTHING MAINSTREAM.

Did you mean to say anything mainstream?

As The Sun Sets, Burnt By The Sun, Found Dead Hanging, Shai Hulud, Botch, ISIS, Cryptopsy, Pig Destroyer, Something Must Die, A.C., etc...

My tastes are so random these days but once I get a song caught in my head I have to keep listening to it. That Henry Earl song kept my interest for a while, and so did some WW2 song that was played on Sealab (that's for another post altogether). But mostly I listen to Hip Hop/ R&B/ Reggae/Spanish/J-Pop & Korean music but never any metal stuff. Been listening to some Jay-z Black Album, Kanye - Jesus walks and Halo Soundtrack lately

One thing that I'll mention though was that I ripped random CDs that were lying around my room to my XBox and apparently one was the Selena album. I was playing Outlaw Volleyball with my friend and one of the Selena songs came up and it seemed to mesh perfectly. Both of us were cracking up!

[quote name='defender']Currently I am listening to PE:ITANOM (anyone have a clue?)[/quote]

i'm not a fan of rap, but public enemy is totally angry on that cd, so for that they get credit.

i will say that everyone should buy (or check out or whatever the kids do) last year's best cd, "one step more and you die" by the band Mono. unless you already own it, in which case you wouldn't have to buy it. another one of the bests from last year was The Bonx's self titled album (and the "Bats!" EP), but they are a little more well known, so some of you probably already knew that.

[quote name='jerryenzyme']Recover - Ceci N'Est Pai Recover[/quote]

Awesome.

I am really into Funeral for a Friend and ON right now....

The Beatles
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Rush
Jimi Hendrix Expirience
Sublime
Bob Marley
Eric Clapton
Cream
Grand Funk Railroad
Radiohead
The doors
Sepultura
Children of Bodom
In Flames
Dimmu Borgir
Jethro Tull
Dave Mathews
Allman Brothers
Cradle of Filth
Deep Purple
Black Sabbath
Yes
J. Geils Band

I think thats enough

[quote name='Santorum X']Have you guys heard of the song called "I Believe in a Thing Called Love?"

It's by The Darkness and this song is the freaking awesome![/quote]

I can only hope you are kidding.

Herb Alpert and the Tijuana Brass
Zamfir
Tony Orlando
Captain and Tennile
Carly Simon
One Hit Wonders of the 70s (Paper Lace, Bo Donaldson and the Heywoods, Looking Glass)

[quote name='defender']Doesn't anyone listen to ABBA anymore? Cmon...be my dancing queen.[/quote]

Haha.. Abba and A*teens are a guilty pleasure of mine. I was able to find a karaoke CD of some of their songs. Dancing Queen was on it but Chiquitita (my favorite song) wasn't.

Oh and sorry I will not be anyone's queen dancing or otherwise. :p

Where are all the "Electronic" fans? EBM, House, Trance (the real kind), GOA....they're all swweeeeet! Some highlights?:

Union Jack: *cd*There Will Be No Armmagedon
This is probably one of the greatest cds EVER. It's THAT SWEET. Anyone who likes House etc should pick it up. It's kinda hard to find though so it's gonna cost you about $22. But for Red Herring and Two Full Moons and a Trout; it's well worth it.

Sasha: *cd*Airdrawndagger
Perhaps one of the best Dance/IBIZA/Trance cds out there. Lots of smooth melodies and whatnot. Good stuff. The awesome Magnetic North and Cloud Cuckoo are on here as well.

Front 242: *song*"Motion"
This is just a cool EBM song. For those of you who do not know what EBM is, it means "Electronic Body Music". It's a precussor to industrial and is leagues better. No manson, no Trent Reznor. This is good stuff.

Front-Line Assembly: *songs*" "Iceolate", "Mindphaser", "Internal Combustion"
This stuff is a little heavy, but it has a god sound to it. Great for driving angry.

Sun Project, 1200 Micrograms, Infected Mushroom, Johann, Xemomorph
For all you metal fans out there, this genre blends Metal and Techno in damn fine style. It's pretty much a mixed bag, but some reccomendations are "Stranded(Delta Mix)" by Johann, "Acid or Nothing" by 1200 mics (10 points if you know what that song is a remake of) and "Killer State" by Xemomorph.

Chemical Brothers: *cd*"Singles 93-03"
This cd contains someof their best work. Great breakbeats abound. including Setting Sun, Elektrobank, The Duke, Star Guitar, Galaxy Bounce, Hey Boy Hey Girl, and others. Get it.

That's all I feel like typing right now. Check out some for yourself, you could be pleasantly surprised. Oh yeah, the Talking Heads and most 80's music in general is sweet.

[quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='Santorum X']Have you guys heard of the song called "I Believe in a Thing Called Love?"

I can only hope you are kidding.[/quote]

No, the song is freakin' awesome. You know I can understand why people would think this song does suck, but you can't take this song seriously. It's just a Brit band having fun and that's the problem with music today - music isn't fun anymore. Corny as it might be I would rather listen to this than anything else right now, except the new Kanye West, which is bangin'.

[quote name='Santorum X'][quote name='JimmieMac'][quote name='Santorum X']Have you guys heard of the song called "I Believe in a Thing Called Love?"

I can only hope you are kidding.[/quote]

No, the song is freakin' awesome. You know I can understand why people would think this song does suck, but you can't take this song seriously. It's just a Brit band having fun and that's the problem with music today - music isn't fun anymore. Corny as it might be I would rather listen to this than anything else right now, except the new Kanye West, which is bangin'.[/quote]

So, you're imbracing the shit rather than demanding something different. This would be easier to swallow if "You Got Served" wasn't the number one movie a few weeks ago.

[quote name='Hardware'][quote name='redgopher']NOTHING MAINSTREAM.

Did you mean to say anything mainstream?[/quote]

Lord, I'm just getting *fucked up the ass* by you people on this one
I deem mainstream music to be anything pop such as those slutty bitch acts you see popping up everywhere, rap that has NO substance whatsoever (everything on MTV qualifies as this.. try listening to Heiroglyphics or Del or something, jesus), and pretty much everything else that MTV airs. The rare exceptions on MTV are Coldplay, The Used, and uh. Well I cannot think of anything else. Probably cos MTV is whoreriffic.

summarry: I view mainstream as what everyone is listening to. Your shit ass music like Tatu and Britney and Christina and all this other fucking bullshit that makes me want to throw their fucking faces on the NPCs of Postal 2.

Yeah.

My favorites: Lostprophets, OutKast, Weezer, John Mayer, Incubus, The Beatles, Dave Matthews (Band), The Hives, Misfits, Rage Against the Machine

What I am listening to right now: Kanye West-Through the wire, N.E.R.D. (the entire CD), The Darkness-I believe(I like it too, It kinda grew on me), Brand New- Sic Transit Gloria

What I hate.....

Nothing really

[quote name='redgopher']
summarry: I view mainstream as what everyone is listening to. Your shit ass music like Tatu and Britney and Christina and all this other fucking bullshit that makes me want to throw their fucking faces on the NPCs of Postal 2.

Yeah.[/quote]

kids today and their language... *shakes head*

most of the stuff i lissen to is somehow from the 80's theres a few good newer bands like strike anywhere, ben folds, rise against, common rider, streetlight manifesto, thrice, and brand new...but everything always goes back to the 80s...duran duran, devo, the ramones, the bouncing souls, the descendants the angry samoans, the talking heads, nirvana, op ivy, the clash, the queers, screeching weasel, mtx, bratmobile, dag nasty, elvis costello, tsol, youth brigade, minor threat..i could go on for days

[quote name='redgopher']summarry: I view mainstream as what everyone is listening to. Your shit ass music like Tatu and Britney and Christina and all this other fucking bullshit that makes me want to throw their fucking faces on the NPCs of Postal 2.[/quote]

if you think that bands like thursday and finch and senses fail and bands on drive-thru records are good then who cares if they are mainstream. the reason a few people seem to take exception to your initial statement is because it implies you are more into the image than the music, which is what is wrong with music. you just have to recognize that these bands are well known, they are on majors, they are in big magazines, they garner significant media attention, and they have large budgets promoting the hell out of them, that's all. i mean, bands like that are marketed to their target audience just like rappers and female pop singers.

i'm not a big mtv watcher, but i didn't even think they showed videos on the channel anymore. besides, we all know that these bands are all over mtv2, along with the metal and "hardcore" bands that are getting a lot of attention. but who cares? image is stupid.

I used to be all about cred. But then I realized there are things you can like without telling anyone. This is called a guilty pleasure. My friends can all think all I listen to is Fugazi, but man do I love the new Saves the Day album.

I listen to anything that has a nice melody and rhythm. This ranges from all genres, including rock, hip-hop, country, pop, classical, jazz, video game music, trance, and more.

For the most part, the lyrics are irrelevant.

I enjoy the music of Jay-Z, Nas, Wu-Tang Clan,Basement Jaxx, N.E.R.D., Method Man, Norah Jones, System of a Down, Rage Against the Machine, Foo Fighters, DMX, Chemical Brothers, Dust brothers, Daft Punk, Crystal Method, Jazzanova, Coldplay, Radiohead, Heiroglyphics, Gorillaz, Redman, Outkast, Common, Kanye West, Le Rythme Digitales, and of course the BEASTIE BOYS!!

I'm all about a dollar, what the f**k is 50 cent- Jay-Z

I like mostly heavy metal like Black Label Society, Mushroomhead and Deftones... but for some reason by favorite band of all is Linkin Park!

Edit: Thursday sucks

4n3+hing +4aT m@k3$ m3 $eeM li3k a PUn5 REB3L!!!

:p Just kidding. I just love the "Have to be bad image" or "have to be a rebel-gamer-intellect" punk and ghetto image a lotta people seem to love.

Me? Anything...Literally. Not saying that because I wanna seem like I am an open minded cool dude, its because I am serious. EVERY LAST GENRE (Or almost) but fucking country, I cant stand it. I'm not big on whiny emo music either.

[quote name='redgopher'][quote name='dustinttt'][quote name='redgopher']NOTHING MAINSTREAM.

I hate to tell you this, but most of the bands you mentioned are mainstream now.[/quote]

Not compared to Britney, Christina, and all those American Idol fuckoffs that everyone is screaming about.

Let me put it this way. If its on MTV, or on MTV more than once (this applies to Thursday, which MTV played Signals Over The Air at 1am.. once), I don't listen to it.[/quote]

Well that automaticly means your hardcore doesn't it? I dont' like to bag on people, but I hate it when people say "nothing mainstream" . It's like your using the music as an image. It's like shiting in your play pen. Dont' do it. Just like your music and don't give a reason for it. Just like it. Live it. LOVE IT. Know what I'm sayin'? Just flow to your own groove.

Anyway, I'm into Radiohead, Jurassic 5, The Flaming Lips, and Annie Lennox. I'm also a sucker for 80's bubblegum music. Dont' ask. Oh yeah, Best Album Ever: Tie: OK Computer/Thriller

Whoa, please watch your language. It's ok, you don't have to try to appear "badass" and "hardcore" around us, we don't even know you. But seriosuly, by "nothing mainstream" it really does seem like you're just using music to hone your badass rebel image, nothing more. Seriously though, calm down...

As for Mr. Anderson, seeing as you have the Flaming Lips on there, do you by any chance watch/used to watch 3-South? But yea, they are great.

bread's done
Back