What laptop would be best for my major (civil engineering)?

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
I'm starting my freshman year of college in a week and I know that eventually I'm going to need to buy a new laptop. I have one now but it doesn't do much more than type papers and surf the internet, plus it's only Windows 2000. I'm going to wait and see if I'll absolutely need a new one this semester but I'm thinking I will.

I'm majoring in Civil Engineering so I'll have to run CAD and other programs relating to math and physics. I have no clue how demanding these programs will be so I'm looking for some help. Here's the course description for one of my fall semester classes called Engineering Graphics and Design:
"Use of computer-aided design (CAD) software to model parts and assemblies. Use of parametric and non-parametric solids, surface and wireframe models. Part editing, two-dimensional documentation of models. Planar projection theory, including sketching of perspective, isometric, multiview, auxiliary, and section views. Spatial visualization exercises. Dimensioning guidelines, tolerancing techniques. Team design project."

I have no idea how demanding engineering applications are so I'm not sure if I should go with a PC/Mac and how powerful it should be. Also, I'd like to not have to buy a new one in a year or two so some future proofing may be needed. I take care of my stuff it's just being outdated is my concern.

I am really interested in getting a Macbook for their reliability, speed, and ease of use. Also, they are having a really good sale for students at the moment that would land me a free iPod and printer. I have a few questions about them though:
-I'm assuming Macs have comparable software to PCs, but how do the prices and performance of them compare?
-I understand that Macs can run Windows alongside its own OS. Does this compromise either of them (is it functional?)? Is it easy to switch between the two and does it slow down the computer?
-Are the programs I'll likely need to use in my future available on Macs?
And if I do decide to get a Macbook, what should the setup be? Should I get the 2.1 or 2.4 GHz? 1, 2, or 4 GB RAM? How big of a hard drive will be necessary to hold all the programs and important files(I can buy an external HDD to store unnecessary stuff like pictures, movies, etc.)?

As for a notebook, I know I wouldn't have a problem with having programs being compatible because Windows is still the standard in most cases. I would also save money for an equally powerful laptop but I would have to deal with all the errors that seem to accompany a Windows based computer. I'm worried a Windows based laptop won't last me as long as a Macbook.

If you read all of this, thank you for your time. I know I had a lot of questions but hopefully they are easily answered.

I may not be able to help you on what to get, but since I'm an Engineer myself and went to college, I can say having a laptop really helps. Although in my case, just about every campus computer had the programs I needed. Having a laptop does make things easier so you don't have to keep transferring files back and forth like me.

If you're going to be CADing for your engineering, you're going to be using SolidWorks, which means you'll need Windows.

For mathematics suites, you'll be suing Mathematica, Matlab, or Maple. Windows.

You won't get errors with a Windows based laptop unless you're a dumbass.

I'd suggest a Lenovo Thinkpad for a no nonsense, really reliable machine.

I don't know much about Macs, but I really doubt you'll be running CAD and stuff on your laptop, you'll probably want to do all computer work (SolidWorks, MATLAB) on school computer labs, where you can talk to classmates/TAs about it, not to mention you won't want to buy the programs (they're very expensive). The majority of your work will be on paper, anyway -- you'll have CAD-oriented classes, but they'll be few in comparison to the math/engineering classes where you just solve problems.

You'll be writing essays in your electives and writing classes, and surfing the internet a good bit for a variety of things (looking up formulas, getting assignments, etc).

I have two laptops -- a fairly powerful, new VAIO and an old, cheap, small Averatec. I use the Averatec for school. It has a 1.8 GHz processor, 1gb RAM, etc. I just browse the web and type on it. The most important thing, though, is that it's small. 4lb and 13". When you already have books/notebooks to carry, trust me, you'll want something as small and light as possible. My VAIO hardly gets any use at all, since I just use my desktop at home.

The short answer: get something small and cheap. Emphasis on the small. If you need to play games or something, use a desktop.

You will probably want a laptop with Windows XP. I know some CAD programs (like Pro Engineer Wildfire 4.0) only recently got a patch which supports Vista, and I hear it doesn't work that well. You probably want to have a 32 bit processor on your computer as well.

As a Civil Engineer, I think you will be using AutoCad 2009 or Solidworks. That really doesn't require a powerful computer. Here are the system requirements for Pro Engineer Wildfire 4.0 though (a CAD program which requires a more powerful computer compared to most CAD programs):

* Operating System: Microsoft Windows XP (Home and Professional - 32 bit)
* Main Memory: 256MB (512 MB or higher recommended)
* Available Disk Space: 900MB (Pro/E), 1.2 GB (Pro/E &Pro/M)
* Swap Space: 500 MB (1024 MB or higher recommended)
* CPU Speed: Pentium III 700 MHz (1 GB or higher recommended)
* Graphics: OpenGL supported card*
* Browser: Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 SP1 or later
* Network: Microsoft TCP/IP, Ethernet network adapter
* Monitor: 1024 X 768 (or higher) resolution support with 24-bit or greater color
* File Systems: NTFS
* Mouse: Microsoft approved 3 button mouse

I recommend 1GB+ of RAM and a 2.40GHz+ dual core processor. Also, a 3 button mouse is essential for some CAD programs so be sure to get one. Find out what programs you will be running though (check on your school website). If you don't need to run something like ANSYS, you can make due with something a lot less powerful.

You just need a basic laptop. Nothing too special. 1GB of RAM if you want to run XP (which I would), or 3GB if you want to run Vista. A dual core processor would be nice, but not required. Just go to the store, find a laptop you like that has decent specs, and buy it. None of these programs are too demanding.

Hm, I was under the impression that engineers used very demanding programs but I guess that isn't the case at all. I guess I shouldn't need to make a huge purchase so that's good.

I'm still interested in buying a Macbook if it can run XP efficiently for purposes outside of school. Does anyone have any insight on my questions in the OP?

You can use a Mac, but you'll need to run Boot Camp and be able to load Windows to run almost all your apps. There aren't comparable apps for most things on a mac unless you're working with video, images or audio.

So it would be a hassle to switch over to XP? I guess if most of the programs I'll need are in Windows I should just get a laptop but man, there's a lot about Macs that I like.

[quote name='mrchainsaw']So it would be a hassle to switch over to XP? I guess if most of the programs I'll need are in Windows I should just get a laptop but man, there's a lot about Macs that I like.[/quote] Bootcamp isn't hard to use or so they say, if it the same as any bootloader it is just restart the system (which it should be right?). Anyway if you really want a Mac then I would say get one (although that is if you can afford it and fully checked out the one you like at an apple store or store that sells them), the specs on the Macbooks are fine for what you are doing as it is pretty easy to switch between operating systems, you can have all your school stuff on windows and your fun stuff on mac or whatever.

Interesting. I guess I'll poke around the internet and see just how well Boot Camp works. It would be nice to have the best of both worlds.

i doubt you would actually be needing to use cad or sw or pro-e much during your first 1 yr, maybe your second yr.

just wait off until your 2nd or 3rd yr if you can. bc if you buy one now, it would be obsolete by the time you enter your 3rd yr.

1st and 2nd yr are your basic req courses like math and general education, 2nd/3rd yr is the weeding out yrs where youll get to see all the slackers start dropping out.

If you'll look at my original post, you'll see the course description of a class I'll be taking this fall. It specifically says I'll be using CAD. Whether or not I'll need my own computer with a copy of CAD is still up in the air but I will be using it.

Right now I'm leaning towards getting a Macbook with a 2.4 GHz processor and 2 GB RAM and then I'll boot up Windows XP whenever I need to use CAD or other Windows software. Of course I'm going to wait until classes start and see how it goes though.

if its CAD for 2-d stuff, then any laptop will work. if you are going to use inventor, then you will need a more powerful vid card to handle it.

most of the other programs you'll be using for physics and math courses is probably matlab. matlab isnt that much of a resource hog.

i still stand by my theory of waiting off. there are computer labs throughout campus and you can always use the cad software there. better than paying for a crappy version of cad lite.

bread's done
Back