What musical instrument(s) do you play?

mrchainsaw

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
Tell us what you play/how long you've played/if you're in a band or not/etc. Feel free to upload a concert or some recordings, too!

I used to play alto sax in my school band back in 5th grade and I've messed around with guitar since I was like 12. I don't play anything at the moment but I'm wanting to learn to play piano/keyboard. I figure it's one of the easier instruments to learn. Does anyone recommend a good keyboard to start with? And of course, the cheaper the better!

I can play a few different beats on the drums and several chords on guitar.

Nothing more than that, though, because I'm impatient.

What I currently own:

Piano
Keyboard
Acoustic Guitar
Electric Guitar
Violin

Can't say that I excel with any of these instruments except for the piano. The piano is also how I came up with my Internet Handle.

I've been playing guitar and bass for the better part of the last 16 years. I can fake my way through a set on drums if I have to. I'm not that great on a piano but I can pretend like I know what I'm doing and usually not offend the ears of those around me.
I used to work in a Music Go Round so I had to learn how to play just about everything so that I could demonstrate instruments when necessary. To that end I can play Iron Man on anything that doesn't have a double reed.

Guitar for 10 at least 10 years now, bass for a few (half-assed) years. Few failed attempts at drumming over the years. I've also got a didgeridoo and harmonica that I'm trying to learn, if only I could learn circular breathing.

I play a wide range of instruments. I've been playing piano for nearly 14 years so it would have to be my main instrument.

As far as other non-main instruments go, I played trumpet in high school band and picked up percussion/saxophone for college. I can play a variety of other woodwind instruments other than sax, but I'm the most proficient on tenor/bari sax.

Used to play Viola and Drums...then I stopped

[quote name='mrchainsaw']I used to play alto sax in my school band back in 5th grade and I've messed around with guitar since I was like 12. I don't play anything at the moment but I'm wanting to learn to play piano/keyboard. I figure it's one of the easier instruments to learn. Does anyone recommend a good keyboard to start with? And of course, the cheaper the better![/quote]

Speaking of keyboards

[MEDIA]http://youtube.com/watch?v=nOMc_ocSNlg[/MEDIA]

also on myspace :cool:

[quote name='mrchainsaw']Tell us what you play/how long you've played/if you're in a band or not/etc. Feel free to upload a concert or some recordings, too!

I used to play alto sax in my school band back in 5th grade and I've messed around with guitar since I was like 12. I don't play anything at the moment but I'm wanting to learn to play piano/keyboard. I figure it's one of the easier instruments to learn. Does anyone recommend a good keyboard to start with? And of course, the cheaper the better![/quote]

I play the Alto Sax as well. I'm out of practice right now, but got a sax as a gift two years ago, I just never find time to play it much. I also played the Trombone and the Basoon briefly. I have limited piano ability.

Mentioned this in every other thread about bands, music playing, instruments, etc., but I'll add to another thread. I pay the Keytar, a Roland AX-7 to be exact. Used to play it through a Yamaha TX-81Z FM synth, but that got borked. Currently, I 'tar through an Alesis Micron.

Used to be in a band called Killing Calypso, but we broke up a couple weeks ago. I'm now in another band with one of the guitarists and his fiancee (among others) called theEpidemic. We actually have our first show in a couple weeks at a nice local venue opening for Still Remains.
This band has way more talent and commitment, so we'll see if we can actually get somewhere.

[quote name='bmachine']Damn...that's what I was going to say! I can also play the meatpipe.[/QUOTE]

You guys should do a duet.

Was going to make a new thread, but since someone already made this one...

I used to play piano competitively at those dorky piano/accordion festivals... never placed higher than runner up unfortunately. Then I moved on to guitar/electric guitar. Recently, I traded in one of my guitars (Telecaster Std.) for a Fender Jazz Bass (fretless) and am loving every minute of practice with the thing.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on playing a fretless instrument, or bass in general. So far I got the finger style down (callous, alternating motion and all).

Voice and drums. I have short fingers which prove useless in learning the guitar and piano. Well, at least when I last tried when I was twelve. I want to try again, and see if progression has lead me to musical favor.

Taught myself how to play the guitar. Which means I can learn songs by looking at chords. Never wanted to make my own music other than playing around so I am fine with stealing chords from websites. I think that is going on....3 or 4 years.

Dibble and dabble with bass also in the same fashion.

But I am also trained as a video editor. Which surprisingly enough involves a lot of audio editing. I remix a lot of license songs just enough so my production house doesnt have to pay fees for them.

Other than that I would love to learn the steal drums like my uncles in Jamaica but since he is the only one that can teach me.....and there is the whole problem of there being an ocean and about 15 states between us I gave up a while ago.

Clarinet 5thgrade-12th grade including marching band, baritone for 12th grade marching band

I have a keyboard since even longer than any other instruments but I'm not very good. Lately I've been playing with virtual instruments in FL Studio.

Drums for a few years, didn't get serious about it until January '07, when I finally bought a kit. Since then, I play at least 4 times a week for an hour or more. I love it. I'll never be able to play more than simple power chords on guitar, and I just mess around on piano.

I played the violin and viola in high school and college orchestra (the fact that I played the viola in orchestra means I wasn't very good on the violin). I did major in music composition in college and have a recording of the university orchestra playing though a piece I wrote which was pretty cool.

I'm a music major, and an overachiever to boot, so I play a lot of stuff:

Primarily a cello player, having played for nearly 14 years at this point in time.
Have played trombone for about 2-3 years, just starting playing in the university band this past year.
Our school has an early music ensemble - I've played viola da gamba (I own my own >..

[quote name='option.iv']Was going to make a new thread, but since someone already made this one...

I used to play piano competitively at those dorky piano/accordion festivals... never placed higher than runner up unfortunately. Then I moved on to guitar/electric guitar. Recently, I traded in one of my guitars (Telecaster Std.) for a Fender Jazz Bass (fretless) and am loving every minute of practice with the thing.

I was wondering if anyone out there had any tips on playing a fretless instrument, or bass in general. So far I got the finger style down (callous, alternating motion and all).[/QUOTE]

I'm a bassist (upright and electric) studying at the college level. (Berklee)

As far as fretless bass goes you have to really pay attention to your technique because the slightest bit of intonation problem can screw up horn players (which is useful too haha). The more you play, the easier to find the note will be. (Some guys practice with the lights off with their fretless just to get their ears working more)

The best advice i can give you is to take private lessons with someone who you respect, and wont just out play you every time you play together. Someone who's really good at playing AND teaching. The weekly or so feedback will really help you along

Oh yeah and check out Jaco Pastorius videos on youtube. He's pretty much the man for fretless

bread's done
Back