What PS1 games do you love to play on your PSP?

FusionHype

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
What PS1 games have you played on the PSP that you enjoyed or didn't like? Any you would recommend?

I haven't really played many PS1 games on my PSP since I dont know of many classics, but I've played FF7 (didn't finish it though), Crash Bandicoot 1-3, MegaMan 8, and a couple others.

I'd have to say that Crash 3 is a favorite of mine, even on the PSP. It's easy to pick up and play and the levels aren't long, but the game itself has just the right amount of gameplay time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Castlevania:SOTN from the PSN and found it well worth the ten dollars.

However, I hear it is an unlockable in Dracula X Chronicles...so if you already have that you may not even need to make an additional purchase.

I have yet to get remote play to work but I am hoping to give Gran Turismo 2 and Tomba! a try on the SPs beautiful screen.

I'm enjoying Suikoden right now. The PSP's sleep mode is great for portable gaming where I can just drop in mid-battle (or anything) and come back to it later.

But, let's be honest: any game where you need the L2/R2 buttons just ain't gonna be much fun to play at all.

Talking solely of those titles that are legally available to play on the PSP. Which are maybe 2 of the titles listed in the OP.

[quote name='mykevermin']
Talking solely of those titles that are legally available to play on the PSP. Which are maybe 2 of the titles listed in the OP.[/quote]

I thought you could play any ps1 game through remote play.

[quote name='Dingleberry']I thought you could play any ps1 game through remote play.[/QUOTE]

touche. I s'pose I'm guilty of quickly assuming that non-PSN title playing = piracy.

[quote name='mykevermin']touche. I s'pose I'm guilty of quickly assuming that non-PSN title playing = piracy.[/quote]

I ripped a bunch of my PSX games to play on my PSP which is kind of piracy I suppose but I'm sure a lot of people are going that route. Before that was possible my stack of PSX games was just collecting dust since my actual PSX system stopped working long ago. I couldn't figure out how to make the multi-disc games work though so no MGS, FFVII or FFVIX for me on the go.

[quote name='mykevermin']touche. I s'pose I'm guilty of quickly assuming that non-PSN title playing = piracy.[/quote]

And i'm guilty of assuming he has a ps3...

[quote name='javeryh']I ripped a bunch of my PSX games to play on my PSP which is kind of piracy I suppose but I'm sure a lot of people are going that route. Before that was possible my stack of PSX games was just collecting dust since my actual PSX system stopped working long ago. I couldn't figure out how to make the multi-disc games work though so no MGS, FFVII or FFVIX for me on the go.[/QUOTE]

As long as you own the game, it's not piracy.

[quote name='neverletthem']As long as you own the game, it's not piracy.[/quote]

I don't know for sure (does anyone?) but if I had to guess it is probably copyright infringement. Maybe it falls under fair use but you don't own the game when you buy it - you just own a copy with a license to play it in the manner determined by the licensor - and you certainly are not authorized to make copies of the game (i.e. ripping it to a file on your computer).

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know for sure (does anyone?) but if I had to guess it is probably copyright infringement. Maybe it falls under fair use but you don't own the game when you buy it - you just own a copy with a license to play it in the manner determined by the licensor - and you certainly are not authorized to make copies of the game (i.e. ripping it to a file on your computer).[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure it is piracy, you're not allowed to make or own "backups" in any form even if you own the physical game. The whole argument of "if you own a legal copy, you can make backups" is probably due to all the websites which host illegal ROMs saying you can only download the ROMs if you own the actual game.

Anyway, I'd like to play Vib Ribbon. Even since I saw it in a magazine way back when, I've always had an interest in that game. Of course, due to all complications and cost of playing a Japanese game on a US console, I never risked it. It seems like it would be a perfect PSN title, if not a downloadable PS1 game.

Right. You're not going to get a civil complaint from Sony for playing FFVII on your PSP, but let's not be incorrect here: you are violating the law.

EDIT: Yeah, Vib Ribbon was fun. There's no reason it shouldn't be made available on the US PSN store. Other than Sony sucking ass at adding titles to the thing.

without a doubt definitely Seiken Densetsu: Legend of Mana
oh and Final Fantasy 9..too bad not many people liked it due to the cartoonic elements

Tomba is my current psp/psx game of choice. I tried (desperately) to play through Megaman Legends 2, but with no L2/R2 buttons it was worthless :whistle2:(

[quote name='javeryh']I don't know for sure (does anyone?) but if I had to guess it is probably copyright infringement. Maybe it falls under fair use but you don't own the game when you buy it - you just own a copy with a license to play it in the manner determined by the licensor - and you certainly are not authorized to make copies of the game (i.e. ripping it to a file on your computer).[/quote]

In the USA:

Can I backup my computer software?
Yes, under certain conditions as provided by section 117 of the Copyright Act. Although the precise term used under section 117 is “archival” copy, not “backup” copy, these terms today are used interchangeably. This privilege extends only to computer programs and not to other types of works. Under section 117, you or someone you authorize may make a copy of an original computer program if:

• the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only;
  • you are the legal owner of the copy; and
  • any copy made for archival purposes is either destroyed, or transferred with the original copy, once the original copy is sold, given away, or otherwise transferred.
Source: http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-digital.html

And in Canada:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Isn't it legal to copy video and computer games as a backup as long as you own a legitimate copy? [/FONT] [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Canadian copyright laws provide an exception to infringement allowing the owner of an authorized copy of a computer program to make a single reproduction for "backup" purposes. However, the right, as embodied in section 30.6(b) of the Canadian Copyright Act , does not in any way authorize the owner of a copy of a video or computer game to post or download a copy of that game to or from the Internet or to make such copy available to other people for their use. Section 30.6 (b) only gives the owner of the authorized copy a right to make an archival copy of the actual copy that he/she legally possesses, not to make a copy of the ROM that someone else legally possesses, nor to distribute the copy of his/her original copy by posting it on the Internet . The law clearly does NOT provide any right to sell "backup" copies. In fact, Section 30.6(b) is quite explicit in stating that the making of any backup copy will only be deemed to be exempt from an infring ement violation if the backup copy is destroyed immediately upon the person who made it ceasing to be the owner of the original authorized copy .
[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Source: http://www.theesa.ca/piracy-faq.html[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]According to those two links, both from governmental perspectives, it's legal, as long as you, like I said, own a copy of the game.

Alright, back on topic. I've been playing Spyro. Love the game. Love it.
[/FONT]

Your first bullet point states that "the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only" which clearly it is not if you are using the copy to play on the PSP (or for any other reason).

You also conveniently left out the next paragraph of your link which states that "It is also important to check the terms of sale or license agreement of the original copy of software in case any special conditions have been put in place by the copyright owner that might affect your ability or right under section 117 to make a backup copy."

The first game instruction book I pulled out (where the licensing info is) was for the Minish Cap and the very first sentence states "Copying of any video game for any Nintendo system is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted."

I'm sure there is something very similar included in the PSP software license as well. Ripping a PSX game to play on your PSP still sounds like copyright infringement to me.

[quote name='javeryh']Your first bullet point states that "the new copy is being made for archival (i.e., backup) purposes only" which clearly it is not if you are using the copy to play on the PSP (or for any other reason).

You also conveniently left out the next paragraph of your link which states that "It is also important to check the terms of sale or license agreement of the original copy of software in case any special conditions have been put in place by the copyright owner that might affect your ability or right under section 117 to make a backup copy."

The first game instruction book I pulled out (where the licensing info is) was for the Minish Cap and the very first sentence states "Copying of any video game for any Nintendo system is illegal and is strictly prohibited by domestic and international intellectual property laws. "Back-up" or "archival" copies are not authorized and are not necessary to protect your software. Violators will be prosecuted."

I'm sure there is something very similar included in the PSP software license as well. Ripping a PSX game to play on your PSP still sounds like copyright infringement to me.[/quote]

Touche. Though, you and I have both already broken the PSP license, by placing
CFW
on our PSPs.

Also, we are talking about PSX software here, not Nintendo. No where in ANY of the PSX manuals I have looked at state that I can't make a copy of it for my own use, nor does the PSP license state I can't put the back ups on my PSP.

But, then again, this is just pointless fighting.

EDIT: Also, where does it say I can't use my backup copy, which is essentially what it on my PSP is.

What revenue loss do the copyright holders incur if I rip a game I already paid for? How much can they sue me for?

I call bull shit on this. They lose more money by people buying used games, trading, and anything that causes people to not buy their games brand new. I doubt anyone on CAG or at Gamestop corporate is giving kickbacks to publishers and developers.

People really love arguing about copyright infringement, huh?

Einhander is great on the PSP. I ripped it thinking maybe one day I'd finally get the red ship, but seriously now.

I was thrilled that I was able to transfer my old saves over, though. It's cool because I had separate profiles from when I rented the game constantly in high school and when I finally bought it at college, so now I have a third one and I can compare all the stats. :)

Can we just turn this into an Einhander thread?

Einhander's legally available on the Japanese PSN Store, which, unlike the US PSN Store, has over 200 PSX titles available for 600 Yen.

mykevermin complaining about no PS1 games in the US store? This is a shocking turn of events.

For the longest time, I thought the best weapon to pick in Einhander was the Juno because it just tears through swarms of enemies. I think it's actually the Flash though, because most of the time it's a boss that kills me. And then I restart right there and I've got two gigantic cannons! They never see it coming.

Has anyone tried buying PSX titles from the Japanese store with any success?

Which titles are relatively pain free to play given the language barrier?

Are you even able to buy them from the japanese store?

I'm disappointed at the US store's selection compared to Japan's. I would so buy Um Jammer Lammy if they release it to the US in a heartbeat.

i havent browsed that too much, are you able to purchase all 3 final fantasy (7, 8, 9) games that were released? I think I'm getting a woodrow

The JP store doesn't have FF 7,8, or 9. You can buy stuff off it through a PS3 assuming you have yen in your Japanese account. I don't know if the process is possible strictly through the PSP.

I'm ready for someone to make it so I can use Gripshift to put PSX games on my PSP. Like many others, I have tons of PSX games gathering dust that would be fun to play in portable form. I'd put Firepro G on my PSP in a heartbeat.

You have to buy PSN Yen cards off of eBay. Quick and painless, b/c you're emailed the code upon purchase. 3000 yen = 5 PSX games, and you'll pay about $35 for the card. So $7 a piece.

As for import friendly titles. Hmm. Bushido Blade, Ehrgeiz, Einhander immediately come to mind. Anything that isn't an RPG, basically.

Oh, and totally buy Rakugaki Showtime.

bread's done
Back