What rare games do you own that need to be played?

Otherguy676

CAGiversary!
Feedback
9 (100%)
There are a lot of discussions about "rare" games and reprinting "rare" games. The question I am posing to people who own these "rare" games is which ones do you think need to be rereleased to be played, and which ones shouldn't be, because they are crap games that are worth some $$$$ for some reason.

With me, I think these should be reprinted
Suikoden 2 (own 2)
Panzer Dragoon Saga (1x)
Lunar Silver Star (Sega CD version, wwwwaaaayyyyy better than PSOne, 1x)

The following should not be reprinted as they are not worth playing)
Vay (1x)
Super Mario RPG (ages terribly, except Culix fight, 2x)
Castlevania Chronicles (1x)

Anyone else have suggestions. I have a huge list, but I want to see others chime in.

Mario RPG is still a blast to play dude. I replayed it not even a year ago. Now Goldeneye; that game hasn't aged gracefully.

Controversy, Awsome! That should liven the thread up. Mods, please move to old school games forum. I must of clicked on CAG lifestyle accidently. Thanks.

[quote name='Otherguy676']The following should not be reprinted as they are not worth playing)
Super Mario RPG (ages terribly, except Culix fight, 2x)
[/quote]

Not worth playing? You are terribly mistaken. Please disregard this man's false comment and continue enjoying this glorious game.

Maybe not worth playing is harsh, but my opinion is that it is one of those games that aged terribly. Its not a bad game, I just dont think its worth the money it commands to buy. Super Mario RPG had a decent story, but the game itself seemed weak. I popped it in a few weeks ago as I was going to replay it and had a terrible time before I dropped it. It just didnt age well. It does have the memorable Culix battle and the 8-bit surprise in the tower (best part of the game IMO), but everything else really isn't that good and if it didn't have the Mario license, would we be talking about this game today?

Snatcher Sega CD
Shining Force Sega CD
Ogre Battle 64
Third World War Sega CD
Final Fantasy 3 (US Version)
Ys for Sega Master System
SpellCaster Sega Master System
Phantasy Star Sega Master System
And to say SMB:RPG hasn't aged well, I don't know what to say.

[quote name='Otherguy676']and if it didn't have the Mario license, would we be talking about this game today?[/quote]

Please. You can say this about so many old video games.

Cubivore comes to mind...

are the Dark Cloud games rare now? Still have to play both of those, and I've got Disgaea 2 around here somewhere. Possibly even more than one copy. I need to really clean my game collection up.

Yes, you can say that about a lot of licensed games, and it could be true for a large percentage of them. My main gripe with Mario RPG when I tried playing it was the battle system. I couldn't get into it like back in the day. The graphics are still good/great (only part of the game that aged well), the story is so-so, and the music is decent. When compared to other SNES games now (especially Square RPGs), its just not that good.

Square released/produced 8 games on the SNES, all of which could be considered hard to find.
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy III
Breath of Fire (Capcom licensed)
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Secret of Evermore
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Super Mario RPG

Super Mario RPG, in my opinion, is fifth best on this list with Breath of Fire, Secret of Evermore (just got it recently so no real opinion on it) and Final Fantasy MQ rounding out that list. There are just other hard to find games to spend your money on or that could be reprinted. I just think its not that good. Then again, there are games that I like termendously that I am sure other people dont like.

Anyone else have a list of bad "rare" games.

rez, vib ribbon , parappa the rapper and um jammer lammy should be reprinted. ico too.

id also like to see classic games series collected onto one cd same thign for classic arcade games.

like maybe a complete castlevannia collection , or a couple of 80s arcade collections (40 to 50 games per cd i have that 5 to 10 game per cd shit). all the mega mans on one cd. and id like to see them add us and japanese exclusives to these cds.

The license being a draw isnt a valid argument against the game. Metroid Prime 3 wouldnt get as much exposure if it was Frank Prime 3. Theres a lore and a history to series.

We might as well change all the character models and story in Halo, call it something else, and see if it sells 5 million copies.

Your absolutely right, and I didn't justify my point enough. I guess the question I was making was is Mario RPG a good game or good because its Mario? Thats the point I was trying to make. For example, Mario Kart is a great game, its not the Mario part that makes it great, its the fact that it has great gameplay. Can the same be said for Mario RPG? While Halo is in it original genre and doesnt really fit in to what I was trying to say (not to mention it wasn't long ago when Halo was new, it was the gameplay and story that made it great), Metroid Prime is a game that has some dang good gameplay and story, Samus Aran or not. Goldeneye was a fun game, license didn't matter and Perfect Dark (spiritual sequel) proved it with new characters. In my opinion, Mario RPG is a game that benefitted greatly from being Mario, Much like Super Mario 2 (US) benefitted from being Mario instead of its original version in Japan (and I do enjoy Super Mario 2). I'm glad to see other opinions on this game, I just to think its worth the money it demands and think there is better games out there that deserve a reprint.

Moving on, anyone agree to Lunar (original) needing a reprint because it is superior to the remake?

Well, I can agree all I want, and agree that I want a trillion dollars in nonsequential bills...as both have the same probability of happening.

The Sega CD game can be found for a reasonable price online (there's a nice, complete copy on eBay right now for $40 shipped), so since it's available, who cares if it's reprinted or not?

[quote name='Rocko']So the amount of money a game costs in today's market determines how well it has aged?[/QUOTE]

Certainly not - I've been playing through Xenogears on my PSP (god only knows how I'm going to rip disc 2 into an ISO, since Macs are notoriously lousy with PSX discs), and it is not at all as exciting and profound as I remember it being.

OTOH, Project Overkill and Loaded are still pretty fun for clusterfuck 3/4 view corridor shooters. And cheap!

I think some gamers collect things under the impression that they're going to be one bulge of sales away from their own beachfront property in the south pacific - and come away sorely mistaken.

No, but the thread topic is should it be reprinted / is it worth the money and are there better games out there that are worth the money or should be reprinted.

[quote name='Otherguy676']No, but the thread topic is should it be reprinted / is it worth the money and are there better games out there that are worth the money or should be reprinted.[/quote]

wat

I don't have any games of value like you guys have, but...

Medal Of Honor: Airborne
The Darkness
Project Sylpheed

All for the 360, all sealed, and all picked up on the cheap. I have so many damn 360 games that those have taken a backseat until I have more free time.

[quote name='Rocko']Not worth playing? You are terribly mistaken. Please disregard this man's false comment and continue enjoying this glorious game.[/quote]

ya i played the rom for this its fun. i agree why would you not wanna play? put it up on the wii VC now!

[quote name='sfriedlander']ya i played the rom for this its fun. i agree why would you not wanna play? put it up on the wii VC now![/quote]

Reported.

I never made it through Mario RPG because at the time I wasn't that into it. Maybe I'll finally sell off the dust-collecting copy I have. And the rare game I want to finish off:

Popeye for the NES

Probably not rare, but I'm the only person I know with a copy.

I still have yet to start playing my x-files game for the p.c. I need to install it on a win 98/95 harddisk.

bread's done
Back