What retro system/handheld should I get?

adrianchan56

CAGiversary!
Feedback
1 (100%)
After flipping through the pages of ebay I'm so excited and dunno which to get but so far I've amassed a few choices:

Gamegear w/ ac adapter, sonic 1, and other games.
NES w/ duckhunt, smb, gun, controller combo
Sega Genesis w/ 2 controllers, mk1, sonic, and streets of rage
PSone w/ controller, and 2 games. (not really retro but quite a nice fine looking remake of my fav. system)

So uh... which do you think is the best-price-for-fun?

turbografx 16, or turbo duo. Turbo duo costs as much as any current system, but it's worth it. tg16 can be had for cheap, but you won't be able to play the cd games with a cd adapter and you won't be able to play super cd games without an adapter and a system card.

NES and/or Genesis. My vote is for the NES for now, although the Gennies are probably going for next to nothing. Can't beat original Super Mario Bros. and original Sonic for a good time. :)

daroga

Gamegear would be silly, since handheld games have improved so much, it's so battery hungry it can't really be considered portable, and many of the games have genesis equivalents.

TG games are just hard to come by for me.. I NEVER see them anywhere (and i go to a lot of mom and pop stores).. NES would get my vote.. has a better selection of games and they all can be had for cheap. the genesis is tempting as Streets of Rage is boss.. but i'd go with the NES super mario bros is like the ultimate platformer.

I would say to get the NES. But make sure the pins are new and you get the security bit to open up the game carts so that you can thoroughly clean your games. I've managed to pick up 6 NES systems on the cheap through various yardsales, flea mkts etc. All but one needs new pins. Almost every NES game I've purchased needed a serious cleaning

[quote name='adrianchan56']After flipping through the pages of ebay I'm so excited and dunno which to get but so far I've amassed a few choices:

Gamegear w/ ac adapter, sonic 1, and other games.
NES w/ duckhunt, smb, gun, controller combo
Sega Genesis w/ 2 controllers, mk1, sonic, and streets of rage
PSone w/ controller, and 2 games. (not really retro but quite a nice fine looking remake of my fav. system)

So uh... which do you think is the best-price-for-fun?[/QUOTE]

If you don't have a NES, get one (either with a new 72-pin connector, or get a new connector and install it yourself). NES is by far the best system ever, most of the best games are plentiful and dirt cheap, and you definitely won't go wrong. NES all the way.

[quote name='urzishra14']TG games are just hard to come by for me.. I NEVER see them anywhere (and i go to a lot of mom and pop stores).. NES would get my vote.. has a better selection of games and they all can be had for cheap. the genesis is tempting as Streets of Rage is boss.. but i'd go with the NES super mario bros is like the ultimate platformer.[/QUOTE]

Well, there's always ebay, which is where you go for most old games anyway.

agh after reading the lastest 5 posts I'm even more interested in getting a NES except... that I already got a game gear for 27 greens w/ s+h.

[quote name='adrianchan56']agh after reading the lastest 5 posts I'm even more interested in getting a NES except... that I already got a game gear for 27 greens w/ s+h.[/QUOTE]

boooo! I had one back in the day, and it was fun... for about 10 minutes until the batteries wore out. Hope it came with an AC adapter.

I recently got an NES, SNES, and Genesis. I love all three, but if I wasn't given them as a gift, and had to chose just one collection to start, it would definately be the Genesis. The games are the easiest to find right now, and the least expensive to boot.

[quote name='jerfgoke']boooo! I had one back in the day, and it was fun... for about 10 minutes until the batteries wore out. Hope it came with an AC adapter.[/QUOTE]

Yea it did and came an AC adapter with 4 games they were: Space Harrier, Monaco GP, Black Jack, and Sonic Hedgehog 1.

Btw what's with the nintendo fami's all over ebay? Are they revised NES's or just knock offs of the originals by a chinese manufacturer?

those cheapy famis are exactly what they are cheapy famis. i hear alot of people don't like them but they are incredibly cheap. i rather just find an old nes instead though, just replace the pin connector. which is really easy to do.

My Pics

1.Super Nintendo
2. NES
3. Genesis
4. Gameboy
5. I think gamegear sucks. I own one and dont really care for it. Maybe I just neeed more games.

bread's done
Back