What router do you guys use for the 360

ttriber

CAGiversary!
Was gonna go & buy a router because i found out my Linksys 10/100 port switch doesnt connect to certain people and im wondering what you guys have and where did u buy it. I was looking at the D-Link EBR2310 because i would really like it wired instead of wireless.

Any suggestions?

Linksys WRT54G, like half the world. Wireless was cheaper than wired (or close enough to go wireless) so I just have the wireless part turned off and run things wired.

Have yet to try and dd-wrt mods or stuff, but works well.

I had the Microsoft MN700 just like Richlough but had to ditch it when I needed to extend my wireless distance. Now using the Belkin F5D8230-4 (Pre-N) and with a few tweaks it works flawlessly with the official Xbox 360 wireless adaptor. It's also connected to three wireless desktops, one notebook, two Nintendo Wiis and wired to an Xbox and another Xbox 360.

I have the Linksys WRT54GS v6. Does what needs to be done, although I cannot surf the Internet while gaming on Live, or I will slow the game down badly.

And I've tried setting preference to the 360, but that doesn't seem to help the problem. Not a big deal though.

Linksys WGR614. Works well through a wire connection. Never tried using the 360 with it wirelessly because I don't have an adapter for the 360.

If you're using a laptop or whatever, it works great. I've had some issues with a slow connection but I'm pretty sure its been because of Comcast because my neighbors have complained of it too.

I had a wired router, Linkysys BEFSR41 but I needed wireless so I could play my Nintendo DS online. I tried that crap of a wifi connector but you have to uninstall anti-spyware and anti-virus programs! WTF right so I went wiht the Linksys WRT54GL and I'm running fairly smooth, set your 360 on the dmz, and if I didn't have satellite internet (baaaad ping) I'd be kicking ass in Gears. Linksys WRT54GL works for two pcs, xbox, xbox 360 and DS. Recommend, its cheap too ( I bought it a few years back for 60 bucks or so).

[quote name='Spybreak8']I had a wired router, Linkysys BEFSR41 but I needed wireless so I could play my Nintendo DS online. I tried that crap of a wifi connector but you have to uninstall anti-spyware and anti-virus programs! WTF right so I went wiht the Linksys WRT54GL and I'm running fairly smooth, set your 360 on the dmz, and if I didn't have satellite internet (baaaad ping) I'd be kicking ass in Gears. Linksys WRT54GL works for two pcs, xbox, xbox 360 and DS. Recommend, its cheap too ( I bought it a few years back for 60 bucks or so).[/QUOTE]

Silly boy! Only the HOST kicks ass in Gears =p

[quote name='Rig']I have the Linksys WRT54GS v6. Does what needs to be done, although I cannot surf the Internet while gaming on Live, or I will slow the game down badly.

And I've tried setting preference to the 360, but that doesn't seem to help the problem. Not a big deal though.[/quote]

That's pretty bizzare. I can download files and play with no problems. I tried messing with the priorities once and it wouldn't let me stay connected to live, so I turned them off. Maybe has something to do with the speedbooster aspect of your model.

the bastard step child of the wrt54g linksys otherwise known as the el cheap wrk54g. Gets the job done and has pretty much the same range, plus it came with a wireless card for my laptop so i guess it isn't all bad.

[quote name='tiredfornow']Ive got the logitech playlink hooked up to some USB cable modem. works awesome.[/quote]

Same here! The idea was solely from him and i highly recommend it.

It's easy and simple to use, although the only thing that blows is that you have to reset your cable modem (if it doesn't have a reset button just unplug the adapter that powers it) everytime you switch from using the internet to using xbox live. When it doesn't work the first time, which often happens from experience, you need to make sure the cable modem is completely off before you plug in to the ethernet slot or whatever, otherwise your xbox or whatever will say there was a connection error.

It's not much of a burden as it sounds at only 14.99 at frys.com with free shipping available. It works great.

My total cost=$16.57

DI-524

I've had it for like... more than 3 years?

Only finally took the time to get it set up perfectly like year ago.

I used to use a microsoft MN-700 but it was dreadfully unreliable for wi-fi so i eventually gave up on it and picked up a linksys wrt54g-l which is a huge improvement. I now question what i was thinking putting up with that mn-700 for so long, the wrt is worlds apart.

[quote name='PyroGamer']DI-524

I've had it for like... more than 3 years?

Only finally took the time to get it set up perfectly like year ago.[/QUOTE]
Same router. Works good for the couple years I've had it.

Linksys WRT54g with Sveasoft firmware in the computer room wired to a Linksys RTP300 for Vonage in living room acting as a 4 port switch.

[quote name='Mister Switch']I used to use a microsoft MN-700 but it was dreadfully unreliable for wi-fi so i eventually gave up on it and picked up a linksys wrt54g-l which is a huge improvement. I now question what i was thinking putting up with that mn-700 for so long, the wrt is worlds apart.[/QUOTE]

I've never had trouble with my MN-700 .
I even bought a spare from Target clearance for $17.xx .

[quote name='Techsticles']Linksys WRT54g with Sveasoft firmware in the computer room wired to a Linksys RTP300 for Vonage in living room acting as a 4 port switch.[/quote]

I also use that firmware on my WRT....

Good stuff... gives me all the control I need. :)

[quote name='Mechafenris']I also use that firmware on my WRT....

Good stuff... gives me all the control I need. :)[/quote]

Is that the updated firmware (I've got the latest version) or somethng you specifically downloaded.

[quote name='Spybreak8']Is that the updated firmware (I've got the latest version) or somethng you specifically downloaded.[/quote]

http://www.sveasoft.com/
$20 a year subscription, gives you features on your router to make it on par with some of the more expensive routers... good stuff if you have the need or the know.

i use a linksys wrt54g ... only problem i had was my nat was set to strict...i changed it to open and everything is fine now.......are there any mods to make the wireless on this thing go faster?

[quote name='Techsticles']http://www.sveasoft.com/
$20 a year subscription, gives you features on your router to make it on par with some of the more expensive routers... good stuff if you have the need or the know.[/quote]

Thanks man I'll look into it.

bread's done
Back